X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Miscellaneous Comments About U2

I mentioned in some other threads I have been editing a concert DVD of the U2 show in Gnashville.

Just for the hell of it, I bought their official live DVD from the Vertigo tour in Chicago, 2005.

I have never actually seen them live in concert.

In a business of fucking prima donnas and spoiled rotten fucking assholes (YOU READ THIS AXLE GREASE YOU SORRY FUCK???), these guys are the real deal.

They are kind, humble (Bono thanked the audience in Nashville for giving the band a "good life"), generous to a fault, and unlike other pop stars and rockers who don't care about the poor, the downtrodden, the persecuted, etc., these guys go out of their way to actually use their celebrity status to make a difference in the world.

Sure.....when I go to a concert, I go to be entertained, and forget about the real world for awhile.

Some idiots like to bring their politics to the show (like asshole Ted Nugent) and yell and scream all this patriotic shit (you know, Ted would have loved living in Nazi Germany), but U2 don't browbeat their audiences....they quietly ask for their fans to help the world.

At the very end of the Nashville stop on their tour, Bono sees a guy in the front row who is holding a sign that says "Blind Guitar Player".

At the very last second before the band is to leave the stage, he asks the guy over the mic "What do you want to play?"

Well, I am not going to bother telling you about it. See for yourself.

YES....Bono GAVE him his guitar. That is the kind of guy he is.

If there were more people like the guys in the band U2 in the enterainment industry....hell, in the WORLD....this world would be a much better place.....

Used to be, yes, I liked some of U2s songs...but I never owned any of their albums. I did have a VHS of Rattle & Hum, had seen the Red Rocks concert from the early 80s on MTV, and in general just sort of liked them from afar.

But after spending 3 months putting this DVD together, seeing numerous special moments in the show, and catching their vibe as they perform and interact with the fans, my attitude has changed, and I am a fan. I admire and respect them, for taking a stand, for doing something to change the world for the better, and all as a result of the great music they have produced over the past 30 + years.

I just get tired of hearing in the media about all the fucking jackoff rock and pop stars and their bullshit. Part of it is the media's fault, as they are a VERY NEGATIVE force in this world. They pretty much ignore the good deeds done by people, trying to go for the scandalous negative shit, instead of reporting on positive acts by celebrities who are trying to do some good in this fucked up world.

A friend of Frank Sinatra's once saw him in the theater at the Sands in Vegas, after his show was over, and just after the audience had left. He was stooping down under a table, then walking to a different one and stooping down, then another.

He was tossing hundred dollar bills under the tables for the cleaning crew to find.

Not seeking publicity. Just doing it to help the employees who had to work at a slave job.

But the media only focused on the negative aspects of his personal life.

Fucking media.

U2 has my respect.

Ok. I am done ranting now. I know I went on about this once before in some other thread, but I am just finishing up the song posted above, and so am done with this DVD now, so I had to post what I thought again.
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

ok, i'll play.

that band is in my top 3 all time over-rated list.

(the other two are the beatles and the rolling stones)

Comment

• Mr Walker
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Never got it... and probably never will.

Comment

• Momshell
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

I don't like their music at all, but Bono does do alot for charities and does seem like a genuinely good guy. I'll give him credit for that, but I really can't listen to the songs. To each his own - there are plenty of bands that are considered great or legendary that I don't like. Some I can appreciate but just don't like. Others I don't even get the big deal. But that's ok - I don't have to listen, and I don't.
        Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Being an early MTV kid, I thought the Fixx had way better songs. My brother is a huge Fixx fan. I always tell him they got beat out by U2 most likely because they weren't as pretty. U2 is ok. Just never blew me away song wise. The Edge definitely had a different sound for the times. Remember when they were considered Alternative? Now Bono refers to themselves as "rock stars". He wouldn't be caught dead saying that in '85.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Come to think of it, is there an underrated guitarist thread around here? I want to make sure Jamie West Oram is on it.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Here's a riddle for you all.

What are U2 now that Van Halen used to be?

Comment

• Etienne
                Commando
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Seshmeister

One of the most famous bands on the planet. Well, Van Halen were very big in the USA.

Comment

• fourthcoming

Washed up? .............. I have to admit to u2 being one of my guilty pleasures. I get it, you either love them or hate them. I think they have made some really good music. Last album was a complete flop though. They seem to want to ignore their best material which is their first three albums when they play live. Saw them at MSG about a month after 9/11. They brought a ton of firefighters and cops onstage with them and ran the names of the deceased along the walls of the arena. Amazing show....and they played some really old tunes they hadn't played in a long time. Since that tour, they haven't been the same.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• ashstralia
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Feb 2004

irrelevant?

Comment

• Jack68
                      Commando
                      • Sep 2004

The Chicago 2005 dvd is excellent Hardrock.Miracle drug is amazing on that.
                      "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                        ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Q: Why did Bono fall off the stage?

A: He was too close to The Edge.
                        I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                        Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Love them to death up through Achtung Baby. After that they lost me. But man did they put on some excellent fucking stadium shows. Epic to say the least.
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Any band that survives multiple decades is gonna have their highs and lows. The Stones had "Satanic Majesties Request" and well, pretty much most of the 80s, at least everything between Tattoo You (which was actually a 70s album) and Steel Wheels. Van Halen had 11 years with a cheese peddling dickwad tequila salesman and then an additional decade of false starts and total chaos before they finally got their shit together again. Comparitively speaking, U2 has had very few lows. Even "Passengers" and "Pop" had their moments, though that was probably their weakest period over all. Like all other rock stars in their 50's (or older) Bono's voice has lost a little of it's "edge" (pardon the pun) and he doesn't climb scaffolds or jump off the stage to dance around in the audience anymore, but U2 still puts on a Hell of a live show and they still manage to make studio albums that sound like a much younger band than one that's been around for 35 years.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Dutch - U2 are no longer Irish but now from Holland for tax reasons.

Comment

Working...