• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Gene $immon$: Why I Stopped Eddie Van Halen Joining Kiss

Simmons: Why I Stopped Eddie Van Halen Joining Kiss

Gene’s proud he told Eddie that quitting his own band would be a mistake – but they still recorded demos with guitarist’s brother Alex.

Gene Simmons is proud of what he told Eddie Van Halen when the guitarist begged to replace Ace Frehley in Kiss.

And although he was always convinced a line-up featuring Eddie and brother Alex wouldn’t have lasted long enough to make an album, they still recorded a demo session together.

The glam-rock demon was instrumental in making Van Halen a big-name act after seeing them as a support band and vowing to sign them after two songs. He oversaw the recording of their first demo and says he even bought singer David Lee Roth his first pair of high-heel boots.

Simmons says events unfolded in 1982 when Kiss had sacked guitarist Frehley. Van Halen appeared in the band’s studio, where they were working on new material, and played the main theme from future hit single Jump on a synth.

Speaking on Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx’s radio show, Simmons says: “I say, ‘Eddie, what’s this?’ ‘Oh, that’s the next record.’ ‘Really? I’m hearing it before guitars?’ ‘No, there’s no guitars – that’s it.’ ‘Oh, okay.’

“So I take him to lunch across the street and he actually tells me: ‘I want to join Kiss. I can’t take Roth – he’s driving me nuts. We’re not getting along. I’ve got this sound in my head that I want Van Halen to do, and Roth doesn’t want to do it, and we’re just getting to a point where he’s believing his own hype.’

“I remember feeling proud of what I said. I said: ‘Don’t do it. Stay with the band you started. There’s no role for you – you’re too big. You cast too much of a shadow to be the guitar player in Kiss.’

“And he went back and he was miserable for the next 20 or 30 years. But it would never have worked. Not even close.”

Nevertheless, a three-track recording exists featuring Simmons and the Van Halen brothers. “I’ve got Alex and Eddie on Christine Sixteen, Love For Sale and Tunnel Of Love,” says the bassist. “But it wasn’t a natural fit.”

Link
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!
  • SNIPER
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jun 2004

Thank god!

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

I just want to know what Ed's character would have been if he'd gotten the gig
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
        Sniper
        • Jan 2004

It's not about you, Gene!
        WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• SNIPER
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
          I just want to know what Ed's character would have been if he'd gotten the gig
          A zebra of course.

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
            when the guitarist begged to replace Ace Frehley in Kiss.

wait a second.......

huh?

Seriously Gene, just because you aren't getting any press right now please don't go the Sammy route making up things so you can drop Eddies name to get yourself in the papers. Get back to making KISS lunch boxes, action figures, stickers, and every other damn thing imaginable.
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
              It's not about you, Gene!
              Yes it is. Gene was Nixxi Sixx's radio guest. The interview was about Gene Simmons.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by SNIPER
                A zebra of course.
                And that's the post of the day right there
                American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Where to begin with this latest piece of drivel.

Well, for starters, Ace was never 'sacked by KISS'.

Ace left on his own accord in 1982 -- Paul Stanley even tried begging him to stay - but Ace bailed. Ace left the band again in 2002.
                  =V V=
                  ole No.1 The finest
                  EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                    wait a second.......

huh?

Seriously Gene, just because you aren't getting any press right now please don't go the Sammy route making up things so you can drop Eddies name to get yourself in the papers. Get back to making KISS lunch boxes, action figures, stickers, and every other damn thing imaginable.
                    No. It's all about doing whatever you have to do to get all the attention you can and to do it shamelessly. Gene made a living off of doing that and saying look I do whatever the fuck I want and I do things most people wouldn't do and I make money. Very old school rock star actually. Rock and roll is putting the middle finger up there and telling the world to fuck off! I don't know what happened. Now we want everything to be fair or something. I can't wait for society to break down so it finally goes back to reality. If it takes massive amounts of carnage to get there, I'm all for it!
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
                      Ive got this sound in my head that I want Van Halen to do, and Roth doesnt want to do it,

Thank goodness
                      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                        Yes it is. Gene was Nixxi Sixx's radio guest. The interview was about Gene Simmons.
                        ha.....
                        WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• JenniferM
                          Roadie
                          • Feb 2004

Would like to hear those demos just for a good laugh. Wonder what it sounded like?
                          "Why behave in public if you're livin' on a playground?"

Comment

• SNIPER
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jun 2004

I would like to hear it

Comment

• scott b
                              Groupie
                              • Jun 2005

I hope its bullshit.Id be embarassed as afan of eds to hear it

Comment

Working...