PDA

View Full Version : Madonna Chooses 'Esther' As New Name

FORD
06-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Madonna Chooses 'Esther' As New Name
Thu Jun 17, 12:20 AM

NEW YORK - Call her Esther: That's the Hebrew name Madonna has chosen for herself as a follower of Kabbalah.

"I was named after my mother. My mother died when she was very young, of cancer, and ... I wanted to attach myself to another name," the singer says in an interview on ABC's "20/20," airing at 10 p.m. EDT Friday. "This is in no way a negation of who my mother is ... I wanted to attach myself to the energy of a different name."

During the interview, Madonna wears the red string around her wrist that's a symbol of the Jewish mysticism, though she wears it beneath her watch. She says she's sensitive when critics suggest her interest in Kabbalah is just a trend.

"I'm a little bit irritated that people think that it's like some celebrity band wagon that I've jumped on, or that, say, somebody like Demi (Moore) has jumped on," the 45-year-old says. "We don't take it lightly. ...

"Paris Hilton did come to the Kabbalah Centre once, because her parents brought her ... and they wanted to help her and they were desperate and they brought her there and she had a meeting and she left and she never came back and suddenly, Paris Hilton studies Kabbalah. I mean that's what happens and people ... they don't know the whole story."

FORD
06-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Now here's my interpretation of what's really going on...

Madonna has been signed to Warner Brothers Records for over 20 years. Her last few albums have not done so well, and no doubt she feels that WB is not promoting her enough. Therefore, she wants out of her contract, but knows she won't be able to release any music until the legalities are settled.

Sounds familiar?

It should, because it's the Prince scenario all over again. And as Prince, Black Sabbath, Fleetwood Mac, and Eddie Van Halen all learned the hard way, WB owns your name per terms of their contract, which the hungry young artists probably never bothered to read at the time.

I doubt there's anything "spiritual" about this name change at all, just like when His Purpleness did so.

Wayne L.
06-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Madonna might want to be called Esther because of her religion but I would call her an idiot who should have had only 15 minutes of fame in the 80's instead of becoming an icon for the gullible MTV generation for some reason since she's nothing but a mediocre singer, actress & performer while causing so called controversy in her warped mind with her videos or in her attitude just to get attention from the media while her so called music is secondary!

FORD
06-18-2004, 01:01 PM
C'mon Wayne. You know you lusted after her back in high school just like the rest of us ;)

Or at least her feet, in your case......

Mezro
06-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Esther? Was Herpes taken?

Mezro...living inside a material girl can be itchy

Sarge
06-18-2004, 05:08 PM
remember those 80's playboy shots?
she had a full BUSH!

Mezro
06-18-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
remember those 80's playboy shots?
she had a full BUSH!

Yeah and that was just under her arms:eek:

Mezro...nothing worse than a musty, sweaty lap goat caked with chunks of discharge

FORD
06-18-2004, 10:07 PM
I still have that issue of Penthouse somewhere. Was she in Playboy too?

Dan
06-18-2004, 10:47 PM
She was in Playboy not to sure what year.Nice spread.