• Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Water - cool graphic

If you put all the water on Earth in one place
    By Maggie Koerth-Baker at 12:16 pm Thursday, May 10

Put all the water on this planet into a single sphere and it would have a diameter of about 860 miles, says the United States Geological Survey. For reference, that's roughly the distance between Salt Lake City, Utah, and Topeka, Kansas.

About 70 percent of the Earth's surface is water-covered, and the oceans hold about 96.5 percent of all Earth's water. But water also exists in the air as water vapor, in rivers and lakes, in icecaps and glaciers, in the ground as soil moisture and earthgwaquifer.html, and even in you and your dog. Still, all that water would fit into that "tiny" ball. The ball is actually much larger than it looks like on your computer monitor or printed page because we're talking about volume, a 3-dimensional shape, but trying to show it on a flat, 2-dimensional screen or piece of paper. That tiny water bubble has a diameter of about 860 miles, meaning the height (towards your vision) would be 860 miles high, too! That is a lot of water.

I really like this illustration because it shows off an important concept: Whether a number represents "a lot" of something or "a little" is pretty damn relative. As the USGS says, that is, in fact, a lot of water. But it also makes for a surprisingly little ball.
  • clarathecarrot
    Full Member Status

• May 2010

If these scientist who you speak of...whattever...pfft..are so smart why don't they see what it would look like to take all the earth type stuff non-water material, rocks, the core, all the land and place it next to this water sphere and show us what that would look like...

I think that would be much more interesting.
    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

They have above...

Comment

• clarathecarrot
        Full Member Status

• May 2010

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        They have above...
        Sesh, I wasn't carrying any animosity over from any other thread. ( only lounge getsme to carry over conflicts) that tool) I was not slamming your thread, here.

It is a cool pic, but I was thinking the idea as I mentioned was also cool and it would be a interesting
        comparison pic grafic.

Comment

• ashstralia
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Feb 2004

did you know you could fit all of the earth's population into a cube 1 km on each side?

Comment

• clarathecarrot
            Full Member Status

• May 2010

Lets do it!

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
              Sesh, I wasn't carrying any animosity over from any other thread. ( only lounge getsme to carry over conflicts) that tool) I was not slamming your thread, here.

It is a cool pic, but I was thinking the idea as I mentioned was also cool and it would be a interesting
              comparison pic grafic.
              But they have. Everything apart from the water is what is shown above, the big Earth sphere beside the water.

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

and it's fantastic how that small ball of H2O covers 70 odd % of our surface.

when those polar bits start melting, i'm gonna have water views.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The other weird factoid is that despite Mount Everest and so on the Earth is actually smoother than a pool ball if they were both the same size.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

But they have. Everything apart from the water is what is shown above, the big Earth sphere beside the water.
                    LMAO... once again proved some people can't see the forest for the trees!!
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ashstralia
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Feb 2004

The other weird factoid is that despite Mount Everest and so on the Earth is actually smoother than a pool ball if they were both the same size.
                      this is true Dr. Sesh. and if you put mars' olympus mons on earth to scale, it would be something like 10 kms high.

aah, the universe is a wonder...

Comment

• private parts
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ashstralia
                        did you know you could fit all of the earth's population into a cube 1 km on each side?
                        Did you know if you put 7 billion people standing shoulder to shoulder they would take up a space approximately the size of Los Angeles County.
                        sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
                            irony.

Originally posted by Kristy
                            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                            Originally posted by cadaverdog
                            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

If all the Pabst Blue Ribbon beer was concentrated in one city how many miles would someone have to ride, crash, and ride again to get to it and make it scarce?

Comment

Working...