PDA

View Full Version : Kupchak to tell Phil Jackson to goto hell

POJO_Risin
06-18-2004, 02:06 PM
How about Pat Riley coming back to showtime to end it where he started it?

Another name I like is Rudy Tomjanovich...I know his history with Houston...but he's healthy again...and probably chomping at the bit to get another job...

ALinChainz
06-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Both good ideas. I doubt it will be Riley, being the front office dude in Miami, and all the say. Rudy T would be a good fit.

Jackson is still dating Buss' daughter, so I doubt he has any pressure either way from him, only Kupchak.

Shaq likes Phil, that's got to play into it I would think.

High Life Man
06-18-2004, 03:13 PM
It's going to be Kurt.

ALinChainz
06-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Lakers hope to resolve coaching situation shortly

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer

June 17, 2004

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- The Los Angeles Lakers plan to decide soon whether Phil Jackson will be their coach next season, perhaps as early as Friday.

``The No. 1 priority for us right now is to resolve the coaching situation,'' general manager Mitch Kupchak said Thursday. ``We would hope to have that addressed in a short period of time.''

Speaking less than 48 hours after the Lakers were beaten by the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, Kupchak also said the team will do whatever it takes to keep Kobe Bryant, and trading Shaquille O'Neal is a possibility if the star center demands it.

Kupchak said he spoke with Jackson on Thursday, but only about the current season -- not about the coach's future. The GM said Lakers owner Jerry Buss will meet with Jackson ``within the next several days.''

Jackson's agent, Todd Musberger, said it was his understanding that Jackson and Buss will try to meet Friday. Musberger said he didn't know any other details about the meeting.

The 58-year-old Jackson is finishing the five-year, $30 million contract he signed with the Lakers in 1999. He coached the team to championships in his first three seasons, giving him nine to tie former Boston coach Red Auerbach for the most in NBA history.

In 14 seasons as a head coach, Jackson is 832-316 for a .725 winning percentage -- best in NBA history. His 175 playoff wins are the most ever and his .717 postseason winning percentage is also tops. His teams in Chicago and Los Angeles had a 9-0 record in the NBA Finals until this year.

Jackson was discussing a contract extension, but the Lakers ended talks in February until after the season.

``Phil has never said that he has no interest in coming back,'' Musberger, said from his Chicago office.

Jackson said following the Lakers' loss Tuesday night that there was ``a pretty slim chance'' he'll coach the team next season.

``No coach coaches forever,'' Kupchak said. ``We're going to have to work in tandem with him and decide how to move forward. He's going to have his side and we're going to have our side of it. I would say he's been the best coach in the NBA over the last five years.''

That being said, all indications are Jackson's future with the Lakers will be decided by the team -- not Jackson.

Several other changes are expected before next season. Only five of the 14 players on the current roster -- O'Neal, Devean George, Rick Fox, Kareem Rush and Brian Cook -- are under contract. The Lakers have club options on Luke Walton and Jamal Sampson.

Karl Malone, Horace Grant, Slava Medvedenko and Bryon Russell are free agents, with Malone becoming one Wednesday when he opted out of the contract that would have paid him $1.65 million.

Bryant, Gary Payton and Derek Fisher can opt out of their contracts, making them free agents.

Bryant has said he'll opt out, and Kupchak said that makes the best business sense since the Lakers could then sign him for seven years for over $140 million. That's one year longer than any other team could sign him and for substantially more money.

``I think we're going to keep Kobe,'' Kupchak said. ``Part of that is based on conversations I've had with him. I've talked to his representatives. I think this is the place where he started his career and this is the place where he should end his career. I don't think any other city appreciates him as much as this one does.''

Bryant faces a sexual assault charge in Colorado, with no trial date set. He could spend time in prison if convicted.

``We're willing to take that chance,'' Kupchak said.

Kupchak said the Lakers will offer Bryant the maximum contract allowable, and wouldn't make a sign-and-trade deal even if he plans to leave.

``Kobe is just going to have to just go, because we're not going to trade him,'' Kupchak said. ``I don't anticipate that changing. We're going to do everything we can to keep him.''

O'Neal said following the finals that he was going to ``take care of me,'' and didn't elaborate.

O'Neal has made clear his desire for a contract extension, which hasn't happened. He has two seasons left on his contract -- for $27.7 million next year and $30.6 million the following year. He can opt out after next season.

``He can dominate this game for years to come,'' Kupchak said.

About possibly trading O'Neal, Kupchak said: ``He has a lot to do with that as well. That would not be a good day in this club's history. We do plan to talk to him. Players do have that option (to demand a trade). We'll see what happens.''

Kupchak said he expects Payton will exercise his $5.4 million option to play with the Lakers next season. Payton has until next Wednesday to decide, his agent, Aaron Goodwin, said Thursday.

Kupchak also said he hopes Malone will return.

Malone, who turns 41 next month, said he has to be completely healthy to play next season. He sustained a possible torn right knee ligament in Game 2 of the finals, which slowed him considerably in the next two games and caused him to sit out the finale.

Troy
06-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Byron Scott will be the next Laker coach.

Warham
06-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Impossible. Just signed with the Hornets.

Troy
06-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Forget what I said then.

POJO_Risin
06-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Yeah...I would have bet my life of him...Scott...until he took that job in New Orleans...

that being said...I wonder if Shaq wants to play close to home?

ALinChainz
06-19-2004, 02:03 AM
Jackson out as Lakers coach, Kobe opts out, O'Neal seeks trade

June 19, 2004

LOS ANGELES (Ticker) - The demise of the Los Angeles Lakers, hastened by the Detroit Pistons, gained shocking momentum Friday with the departure of coach Phil Jackson, a trade demand by Shaquille O'Neal and the free agency declaration of Kobe Bryant.

Jackson officially ended his five-year tenure in Los Angeles following an afternoon meeting with owner Jerry Buss.

"The experience of the past five years has been great," Jackson said in a statement released by the team. "Three (championship) rings and a fourth opportunity makes this a bittersweet ending, but it's time to pause and reflect."

Jackson was offered another position with the organization but is not expected to stay on with the team he guided to three straight NBA titles from 2000-02.

Buss called Jackson the best coach in NBA history, adding, "Not only did he help lead us to three more championships, but he helped the Lakers regain our status as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, franchises in all of sports."

O'Neal has two years and more than $58 million left on his contract but told the Los Angeles Times he wants to follow Jackson out of town.

"The direction they're going in, if they're going to continue to go in the same direction, I don't want to be a part of this," O'Neal told the newspaper. "This team, it ain't about me, it ain't about Phil. It's supposed to be about team.

"When I was brought here by Jerry West, there was a team concept. ... It was something I wanted to be a part of. Now no one cares. I told you I'm all about winning championships. Now the organization is different. It seems right now they're trying to pit one person against another."

General manager Mitch Kupchak said Thursday he will try to satisfy O'Neal's demand but ruled out a sign-and-trade deal involving Bryant before the 25-year-old opted to become an unrestricted free agent.

"I want you guys to write that if any GM out there wants a hard-working big man who wants to win championships, call Mitch Kupchak because he'll entertain offers," O'Neal told the Los Angeles Times.

Jackson, 58, has won nine championships as a coach, tying him with Red Auerbach for the NBA record. His .725 winning percentage (832-316) is tops in league history.

But Jackson's last game with the Lakers was Tuesday's 100-87 loss to the Pistons, who completed a startling five-game triumph in the NBA Finals against a team with a roster boasting four sure-fire Hall of Famers.

ALinChainz
06-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Yeah...I would have bet my life of him...Scott...until he took that job in New Orleans...

that being said...I wonder if Shaq wants to play close to home?

Or for Detroit ...

Warham
06-19-2004, 10:45 AM
Kobe will be in LA next year, because Buss is willing to pay him $140 milliion over 7 years, far more than he could get in SA. Not to mention, there's talks of giving him partial ownership when he retires.

Shaq is probably going to be dealt to either Indiana or Orlando, according to some insiders. They have players LA is interested in.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Shaq is probably going to be dealt to either Indiana or Orlando, according to some insiders. They have players LA is interested in.

Trade him straight up for McGrady....

ALinChainz
06-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Been hearing more about Shaq, and though those choices may seem obvious, either scenario is doubtful.

Orlando has its own superstar to trade, and it isn't likely that McGrady and Kobe can co-exist, so a Shaq-T Mac deal isn't happening. Would they be able to put enough around Shaq in Orlando after a McGrady deal to another team. Indiana has the young players it would take to get him, but LA thinks they can get 3 good, young players for Shaq, and that they would want Jermaine O'Neal in the deal. Doubtful.

They mentioned the Mavs would more than likely surrender anyone but Dirk in a deal to get him. Memphis has lots of young players and West is there.

Damn, didn't hear Detroit.

POJO_Risin
06-19-2004, 06:26 PM
No Way McGrady for O Neal...doesn't make any sense...

but why not say...Juwan Howard, Drew Gooden, this year's number 1 pick, and next year's first rounder...

Gooden's a good power forward with size...Howard gives them a Finesse player...but someone who can fill the whole...they get Okefor with the Number 1 pick to groom...or Howard...or even trade it for someone else more established...and get a number one next year...

Shaq talks MacGrady into staying...and you've got something...because no way is Indy giving up all that LA is asking for...

ALinChainz
06-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Shaq currently hating:

Kobe
Phil for leaving.
Mitch Kupchack for running yap in press and stalled talks of extension back before season.

Safe to say, a new look Laker team next season with L.A. doing everything in their power to resign Kobe.

ALinChainz
06-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Okefor and McGrady with some back issues to. And Orlando is already stacked at the position with Gooden and Howard, so Okefor wouldn;t seem to make sense unless they do some major reshaping themselves.

POJO_Risin
06-20-2004, 12:04 AM
I would deal Gooden, Howard and their next 2 number 1's for Shaq...and that would keep fucking McGrady there...get them a run for the title...and get the Lakers shaped into "Kobe's team"

I just don't get that shit...

POJO_Risin
06-20-2004, 12:05 AM
Lakers get Howard and Gooden to reshape their frontline...

use their number one pick for a player to compliment Kobe...maybe Howard...

and they are both on their way...

ALinChainz
06-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Shaq 32 years old. Need a new deal for Shaq, he's due $58 million the next 2 seasons, their GM was saying they couldn't afford him.

McGrady can opt out next season and no way will Orlando let him bail with no compensation, they've been burned by that before.

I haven't a clue where he's going if anywhere.

POJO_Risin
06-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Well...I just can't see the Lakers getting what they are asking for Shaq...this could get ugly...lmfao...unless it already is...