PDA

View Full Version : Nigel has a bone to pick

Nigel
06-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Very quickly; yes I'm Dave's age (and almost as in as good shape as he is), and I've stated that I've hung with Dave in Bora Bora in 1986 (at Club Med) since I did their advertising for the Canadian market.

Every few months I check in here because I've been a Dave fan since 1978. But I'm still checking out Van Hagar on July 3 because my son wants to see the best band on the planet.
(We'll put up with Spam for the sake of the SHOW), (Lou I'm imploring you to go, because Eddie's only getting older and drunker)

Despite the "wordless mind drool" that some of you find gives you a false sense of power, I can actually see the VALUE in seeing every LIVE TOUR of Van Halen/Hagar/Cherone that has come to my city since 78.

I would LOVE nothing more than to see DAVE back at the helm, but I'm not that short sighted to REFUSE to accept "bastardizations" of Van Halen. Last night while watching Black Sabbath's "Last Supper" DVD from 99', I realized what the original Van Halen is missing by not getting THE ORIGINAL machine back together.

I would rather embrace Van Hagar, than not get the chance to see Eddie, Alex and what's his name on bass. Mine All Mine, Runaround, A.F.U, Seventh Seal, Amsterdam etc is still better than Blacklight, Mississippi Power and anything off Diamond Dave (OK I love Soul Kitchen)

Warham
06-18-2004, 06:02 PM
::sigh::

See, you are a Van Halen/Van Hagar/Van Cherone fan.

The people that post here are Van Halen/David Lee Roth fans.

There's a difference.

Lou
06-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Nigel
(Lou I'm imploring you to go, because Eddie's only getting older and drunker)

While I understand that, the fact remains that Van Hagar music is awful and I just cannot sit through that and have a good time, all for the 10 minute guitar solo. Hagar personally makes me want to vomit. I'm not "sacrificing" to see Eddie. I'd go see Eddie on his own, but Van Hagar gets my blood boiling in a bad way.

Nigel
06-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Lou., I'm only giving you a "hard" time because I'm 27 years older than you and having witnessed a "few aquaintances" die over the last few years, I 'm telling you that LIFE is very SPECIAL and VERY FLEETING.

If I was your DAD, I'd even drive you to the concert and go with you. YOU NEED TO BE PHYSICALLY in the same room as Eddie and Alex and whats-his name on bass.

There is no better MUSIC. Concentrate and focus on the best rhythm section and best guitarist. (If you go, I won't "rat" you out!)

rustoffa
06-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Despite the "wordless mind drool" that some of you find gives you a false sense of power, I can actually see the VALUE in seeing every LIVE TOUR of Van Halen/Hagar/Cherone that has come to my city since 78.

We get lots of "mindless word drool" here as well. It's everywhere
and often times constitutes berating of the highest level. It's a
free world bro, and you can go see the king and I for all I care.
This is the ROTH ARMY. Look at the sign.....for pete's sake it's not
rocket fucking science.

Lou
06-18-2004, 08:47 PM
There is no better MUSIC.

Yes there is, the REAL Van Halen with David Lee Roth singing.

moose
06-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Very quickly; yes I'm Dave's age (and almost as in as good shape as he is), and I've stated that I've hung with Dave in Bora Bora in 1986 (at Club Med) since I did their advertising for the Canadian market.

Every few months I check in here because I've been a Dave fan since 1978. But I'm still checking out Van Hagar on July 3 because my son wants to see the best band on the planet.
(We'll put up with Spam for the sake of the SHOW), (Lou I'm imploring you to go, because Eddie's only getting older and drunker)

I would LOVE nothing more than to see DAVE back at the helm, but I'm not that short sighted to REFUSE to accept "bastardizations" of Van Halen. Last night while watching Black Sabbath's "Last Supper" DVD from 99', I realized what the original Van Halen is missing by not getting THE ORIGINAL machine back together.

I would rather embrace Van Hagar, than not get the chance to see Eddie, Alex and what's his name on bass. Mine All Mine, Runaround, A.F.U, Seventh Seal, Amsterdam etc is still better than Blacklight, Mississippi Power and anything off Diamond Dave (OK I love Soul Kitchen)

Nigel, my fellow Canadian, how about telling us what it was like being with Dave in Bora Bora. Let us know what kind of person he is etc etc, post some pics, gives us the goods on the Man that this site is all about. It's not mindless drool here, we just don't want any spammy crap here and when he is mentioned we just lose all self control and vent . Leave spam where he belongs, in a freakin gutter with the rats.
We here talk CVH and about Roth, the only reason spam is even mentioned here is all due to the lack of security over at the links you see when the odd sheep/s- break out of thier corral , they somehow always find their way here, basically we SOLDIERS are trying to protect our home that's all. So let us here @ the Army know more about your adventures with Roth and with CVH.
How about taking your boy to(only if he is over 19) to see the Classic VAN HALEN 1 preformed live with a bounty of other Classic Van Halen tracks next week at the Pheonix Club in down town TO, then you can subject him to the crepid show that is going to assult our beautiful city
like a bunch of seagulls shitting and sqauwking. I for one will never go and see Van Halen w/o Roth. As a matter a fact, the last time Van Halen rolled through town was APRIL 17, 1984, I've been waiting 20 yrs to see them again and I'm sure the SPECTACLE will once again show up, until then........

Nigel
06-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Dave was (probably still is) both a recluse and the centre of the universe at the same time.

I'd heard that he loved Club Med, even before I got to "handle the advertising account". He's no fool and I knew Tahiti was far enough away to keep "most mortals" 8,000 miles away.
He "dated" many G.O's (or Gentils organizateurs) as they call them; they are essentially talented male and female staff who work for Club Med so they can network with International
types and live in Paradise. Dave dated the female variety.

Much of Dave's inspiration comes from the Club Med Philosophy. Travel, meet interesting people, keep active and screw your brains out.

Some insiders believe Dave was "inspired" to record "Just A Gigolo" based on his affair with
the shows that are part of Club Med's evening activity.

When Dave wants to remove himself from other guests, he did so quite easily. When he wanted to be seen, he was always surrounded by any number of females, new found "cool" friends and just great self actualized people. Very cool, very normal, but as if he had an invisible shield around him.

Rikk
06-19-2004, 01:19 AM

None of those fucking songs are better than BLACKLIGHT. BLACKLIGHT is a sweet tune...though not as good as LITTLE TEXAS.

EddieFan4Eva
06-19-2004, 09:20 AM

Nigel, i couldnt agree more. Blacklight happens to be one of the worst vocal performances of Roth's career. And "what's his name" is Michael Anthony...one of the absolute nicest guys in the biz. :)

lms2
06-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Dave was (probably still is) both a recluse and the centre of the universe at the same time.

He "dated" many G.O's (or Gentils organizateurs) as they call them; they are essentially talented male and female staff who work for Club Med so they can network with International
types and live in Paradise. Dave dated the female variety.

When he wanted to be seen, he was always surrounded by any number of females, new found "cool" friends and just great self actualized people. Very cool, very normal, but as if he had an invisible shield around him.

Very cool, very normal? Did Dave actually like any of these women or was it all for appearances? What do you suppose was this invisible shield around him?

Warham
06-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Alex and that bass player are far from the best rhythm section nowadays, or in history. I can cite two without hesitation who are better:

Bonham and Jones (Zep) and Entwhistle and Moon (Who). Granted, you can't see these guys play anymore, but there is no comparison.

Mike is an average bass player and above average background singer, and Alex is an great player, but seems to have basically played the same thing for the last twenty years.

guwapo_rocker
06-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Alex and that bass player are far from the best rhythm section nowadays, or in history. I can cite two without hesitation who are better:

Bonham and Jones (Zep) and Entwhistle and Moon (Who). Granted, you can't see these guys play anymore, but there is no comparison.

Mike is an average bass player and above average background singer, and Alex is an great player, but seems to have basically played the same thing for the last twenty years.

Neal Peart and Geddy Lee and you CAN still see these guys play.
Fuck Al and Doughboy!!

lms2
06-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Warham

Nothing after Dave matters anyway...

Foozwah
06-21-2004, 10:42 AM
I 'm telling you that LIFE is very SPECIAL and VERY FLEETING.

That's true, but my LIFE is too SPECIAL and FLEETING to WASTE on a BLOATED PARODY of what was once a MIGHTY band who ONLY WANTS YOUR MONEY and has NOTHING of VALUE to OFFER. Going to SEE Van Hagar is like PAYING someone to fling SHIT in your FACE.