• Blaze
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Why is there no maximum wage?

Two hypotheses for why US CEO pay is so high

Sources:
    Location of topic origin - click here
    Location of rebuttal origin - click here

To me that seemed like a compelling, but daft question and one I had never considered. Surely, this had been hashed long before my chance encounter with the concept, so off to the Interwebs I went.

I rephrased the concept, if CEOs are obliged to their shareholders, then maximum amount of profit should go to the shareholders thus creating reins for CEO compensations. I Googled “ceo pay ratio” images. Surprising enough, it appeared that, at least in USAmerica, CEO wages seemed exploitative of the very companies they were entrusted with.

I continued, I Googled the direct question, “why is there no maximum wage”. Wikipedia had an entry. Upon reading the Wikipeadia entry on Maximum wage, it appeared as if this was conceptually limited to hourly employees.

In England, theStatute of Artificers 1563

American colonies in the 17th century

In the earlySoviet Union,

In 1942, duringWorld War II,

Swedenin the 1960s

and In professional sports.

During my primary research I chose realitybase.org as my starting point. I went back to realitybase.org to qualify the writer. Clearly he is knowledgeable enough to yield a good consultation reference:

Roger Chittum.
    I have retired as a business executive and business lawyer.

My interest in energy issues stems from my tenure as an officer of an energy company, The Oil Shale Corporation (later Tosco Corporation and now part of Conoco Phillips), from 1972 to 1983. Those were thefun-filled years of the first post-war oil crisis and synfuels boom, ending with thedramatic crash of oil prices and refining margins in 1982.

My interest in free market fundamentalism, trade, globalization, and other economic issues was enhanced by my experience as an officer and director of a textile company, Crown Crafts, Inc., from 1992 to 2000. My job was one of the thousands of textile industry jobs shipped to China after a brief NAFTA-facilitated stopover in Mexico.

My interest in human rights and civil liberties stems from the Civil Rights Movement.

I graduated from the Stanford Law School, where I was an editor of the Law Review. Before that I was a National Merit Scholar at the College of Wooster where I majored in chemistry. I did graduate work in chemistry at Case Western Reserve and worked as a chemist at Sohio (now part of BP) before opting for law school.

I'm a voracious reader of public policy journals and blogs. My taste in books since retirement has run almost exclusively to non-fiction. I am reading political economy books from Adam Smith forward, about The Enlightenment and its influence on government in the United States, and about the history of the philosophy of science.

I live in Los Angeles, California.

The usual defense of high US CEO pay is that it is set by market forces. If that's true, doesn't that mean the US has a relative shortage of CEO talent compared to the other advanced countries? (A short supply of qualified candidates has driven up prices more in the US than in other countries.) On the other hand, if US CEO talent is relatively as abundant as in other countries, doesn't that mean the US CEO pay market has failed and should be fixed to eliminate inefficiencies?

Update on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 10:24AM bySkeptic

This post is meant to show that the US CEO pay market is probably broken. That doesn't mean I have any enthusiasm for government capping CEO pay. Why? Because I think excessive CEO pay is a symptom of a larger corporate governance problem, I don't want to be distracted by palliative care for a symptom. Let's get at the core problem, whatever it is.

Highlights mine.

What is the problem? Not only in CEO pay, but why the outlandish military expenditures? Are most of the military expenditures going to compensate conglomerate CEOs?
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    sigpic
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

The reason there is no maximum wage is because the same faulty reasoning applies to certain people's prescribed medication. Just because the pharmacist takes the time to write out a careful dosage, it doesn't mean the patient isn't going to exceed it to the point of nonsense.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Satan
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

There doesn't necessarily need to be a maximum wage law imposed. Just return to the Eisenhower era tax rate for everything above $1 million dollars, (close all the loopholes first) and the greedy fucks have the option to either be less greedy, or let the country share the benefits of their greed.
      Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
      I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Blaze
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

II. Introduction: The Intersection BetweenExecutive Excess and Tax Dodging

III. Companies that Pay Their CEO Morethan Uncle Sam – 10 Examples

Executive Excess is a new report from The Institute for Policy Studies. It examines the relationship between executive pay excess and corporate tax dodging. International Paper Company is the only company that pays its CEO more than Uncle sam.
        "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
        sigpic

Comment

• BigBadBrian
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

The title of this thread is utterly stupid. This is a free-market capitalistic economy. You don't get a say about CEO salaries unless you're a shareholder. Buy some stock and then you can run your mouth, Blaze.
          “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• gbranton
            Veteran
            • Aug 2005

Nobody complains about Tom Cruise, Leo DiCaprio, Denzel, Clooney, Adam Sandler, or Ben Stiller making the same or more money to make movies. Aren't these movie studios publicly held companies that have a responsibility to their shareholders? What about the people who run the studios and constantly turn out garbage based on tv shows, board games, comic books and other movies? Is the market for these assholes is broken?
            "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• TJMKID
              Veteran
              • Mar 2004

I'm all for a free-market economy --- but something needs to be done about these greedy CEO assholes getting vastly overpaid for their performance (or lack thereof).

There's been an NFL salary cap for many years and I don't see the elite athletes retiring in protest because they aren't getting more $$$ from what the cap allows. The system works --- and it spreads the money around equitably. Even the lowliest rookie NFL player still makes close to a $1 million per year.

Gut feeling tells me Bill Gates still would've been a kick-ass CEO for Microsoft if someone capped his net worth at $500 million back in the 90's. Why does anyone need billions of dollars to make them good at their job?

CEO pay over a certain amount should be held in escrow pending outcome of their companies' performance. All the investment bank CEOs who gleefully underwrote those shitty subprime mortgages shoulda had their huge salaries refunded back to shareholders and then blacklisted from ever working on Wall Street again!

Comment

• gbranton
                Veteran
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by TJMKID
                I'm all for a free-market economy.........
                .........and then you go on to explain why you are not.
                "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• TJMKID
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by gbranton
                  .........and then you go on to explain why you are not.

NFL salary cap works as a free-market system. If you got talent --- you can make a lot of money --- but if you aren't happy then go to a different team. Everybody wins.

Same system should be implemented for CEO salaries.

Comment

• gbranton
                    Veteran
                    • Aug 2005

NFL salary cap works as a free-market system. If you got talent --- you can make a lot of money --- but if you aren't happy then go to a different team. Everybody wins.

Same system should be implemented for CEO salaries.
                    That's not a valid comparison, the NFL players are not running the company, making multi-million or billion dollar decisions. Trying to decide how far to lead a receiver is not the same thing and they don't deserve to be paid the same way.

Comment

• TJMKID
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by gbranton
                      That's not a valid comparison, the NFL players are not running the company, making multi-million or billion dollar decisions. Trying to decide how far to lead a receiver is not the same thing and they don't deserve to be paid the same way.

Like I already said --- there's a certain limit to how much value you place on someone's performance before you get diminishing returns.

If someone told Bill Gates in 1985 that he's doing a phenomenal job but he can only get paid max. $10 million/yr. for the rest of his career --- would he have quit if he knew his salary would be capped the same amount at any other software company in the world? Hell no --- he'd still put it long hours, make good decisions, and Microsoft's tremendous market cap would be equitably spread to employees and shareholders instead of Gates's piggy bank.

I don't buy into the bullshit that someone has unique talent that demands a "sky's the limit" salary to match. After a certain amt. of money --- you don't do any better at your job.

Comment

• Satan
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

The most important job in the US (President) pays about $400K/year, last time a Devil checked.

Since nobody's job is more important than that, how can anybody justify getting paid more?

And if they do, why should they complain that they have to pay taxes accordingly?

Comment

• TJMKID
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Satan
                          The most important job in the US (President) pays about $400K/year, last time a Devil checked.

Since nobody's job is more important than that, how can anybody justify getting paid more?

And if they do, why should they complain that they have to pay taxes accordingly?

Last time I checked the U.S. Constitution --- the only requirements to become President is be at least 35 yrs. old and born in the United States. Absolutely no high school diploma required.

Based on that criteria --- $400K/year is way too much for someone who could be a high school dropout.

Comment

• Satan
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Last time I checked the U.S. Constitution --- the only requirements to become President is be at least 35 yrs. old and born in the United States. Absolutely no high school diploma required.

Based on that criteria --- $400K/year is way too much for someone who could be a high school dropout.

Yeah, but if you want to know what happens if you put an illiterate moron in the White House.... well just remember the last Fraudministration.

Yeah sure he went to Yale.... on a Skull & Bones legacy.

Comment

• TJMKID
                              Veteran
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Satan
                              Yeah, but if you want to know what happens if you put an illiterate moron in the White House.... well just remember the last Fraudministration.

Yeah sure he went to Yale.... on a Skull & Bones legacy.

Quite scary to think there is no minimum IQ requirement to become President --- which is why more G.W. Bush's are bound to happen

Comment

Working...