PDA

View Full Version : The Magnum P.I. Thread

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 01:05 AM
I think too many people these days let feelings dictate their lives rather than rational thought...

On top of that, people are medicated with so many substances, it's incredible they manage to function, let alone pay attention to what's going on...

People need to wake up!

:elvis:

That's the truth right there! Although I did like your Magnum PI reference a few posts back. Classic! :biggrin:

gbranton
07-22-2012, 01:12 AM
That's the truth right there! Although I did like your Magnum PI reference a few posts back. Classic! :biggrin:

I loved Thomas, he and Higgy baby (as Theodore Calvin called him) were quite an odd couple.

Nitro Express
07-22-2012, 01:16 AM
I loved Thomas, he and Higgy baby (as Theodore Calvin called him) were quite an odd couple.

I had a friend who worked at the Polynesian Cultural Center. We were watching TV and Magnum PI comes on and she started to get really pissed. I go what's the matter and she goes he's such an asshole. I'm like who? I guess the dude that played Higgins was on one of her tours and I guess was a real prick. Oh well, polynesians are like Italians. They can be very loving but get on their bad side and there is hell to pay and they remember.

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 01:20 AM
I had a friend who worked at the Polynesian Cultural Center. We were watching TV and Magnum PI comes on and she started to get really pissed. I go what's the matter and she goes he's such an asshole. I'm like who? I guess the dude that played Higgins was on one of her tours and I guess was a real prick. Oh well, polynesians are like Italians. They can be very loving but get on their bad side and there is hell to pay and they remember.

Higgins a prick??? Who woulda ever thunk it? :biggrin:

gbranton
07-22-2012, 01:20 AM

Did you know that Selleck was forced by CBS to turn down a role in a motion picture, then because of a subsequent SAG strike he ended up not working while the movie was made with another actor? I'm sure it didn't bother him too much though, I mean after all who would want to play a character with a silly name like Indiana Jones?

Nitro Express
07-22-2012, 01:21 AM
It is illegal here to carry into a bar or be under the influence of alcohol.

I bought a book on old west gunslingers. It has lots of pictures and covers people like Wild Bill Hickcok, Bat masterdom, Wyatt Earp and such. What's cool is it has a lot of photos of the old mining towns in the day. In one photo there is a big sign telling people to check their firearms in at the Sheriff's office and it was actually illegal to go into a saloon with a gun. I guess too many people were getting drunk and killing each other. So nothing new there. Also on the sign was an ad for a drink call Prikity Ash Biters. LOL! So check your gun but buy some booze.

Nitro Express
07-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Did you know that Selleck was forced by CBS to turn down a role in a motion picture, then because of a subsequent SAG strike he ended up not working while the movie was made with another actor? I'm sure it didn't bother him too much though, I mean after all who would want to play a character with a silly name like Indiana Jones?

Harrison Ford was perfect for the Indiana role. Let's see Selleck played the cop in the movie where Gene Simmons was the crazed bad guy and he was in Quiggly Down Under. Then of course Thomas Magnum. Didn't he do a couple cameos on Friends?

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 01:26 AM

Yep, and due to the actor's strike he actually could have done both roles. You sould check out the E True Hollywood Story about Magnum PI if you haven't seen it.

gbranton
07-22-2012, 01:27 AM

Hillerman was awesome in Blazing Saddles as well. The only other movie I remember him being in was High Plains Drifter.

ELVIS
07-22-2012, 01:28 AM
This thread is getting good...

:elvis:

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 01:29 AM
Harrison Ford was perfect for the Indiana role. Let's see Selleck played the cop in the movie where Gene Simmons was the crazed bad guy and he was in Quiggly Down Under. Then of course Thomas Magnum. Didn't he do a couple cameos on Friends?

He did the Quigley and Runaway roles while he was shooting Magnum. Magnum began in 1980. There is no reason I should know this... :biggrin:

Nitro Express
07-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Hillerman was awesome in Blazing Saddles as well. The only other movie I remember him being in was High Plains Drifter.

I saw him on some interview show and because of his role on Magnum PI everyone thought he was british. Actually the dude is from Texas.

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 01:31 AM

Damn, did we derail this motherfucker or what? :thumb:

SunisinuS
07-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Unforgiven is my Model.

Deserve has nothing to do with it.

Nickdfresh
07-22-2012, 01:36 AM

I'm pretty sure he turned it down on his own...

gbranton
07-22-2012, 01:36 AM

Aw c'mon Selleck seems like a great guy, his series of Jesse Stone films has been quite successful, I think he's dome eight of those. Quigley was a great movie as was Lassiter. Runaway (the Simmons movie) was ok. Ironically enough, he first popped up on my radar when he was in two episodes of my other favorite detective series of all time, The Rockford Files.

SunisinuS
07-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Aw c'mon Selleck seems like a great guy, his series of Jesse Stone films has been quite successful, I think he's dome eight of those. Quigley was a great movie as was Lassiter. Runaway (the Simmons movie) was ok. Ironically enough, he first popped up on my radar when he was in two episodes of my other favorite detective series of all time, The Rockford Files.

Rockford Files is untouchable.

And as other people awake and belay upon us the human cost of us derailing...I want them to make sure they listen....this is life...and it hurts....and we discuss this because it is real...and this fucking numbnut was "inspired" by a movie.

It was the same debate with Ozzy and Diary....Suicide Solution.

If you can sue Ozzy...you can sue Shakespeare's Hamlet. As art imitates life....not the other way around.

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 01:39 AM

Actually he asked to be let out of his contract to do Indiana Jones but they wouldn't let him out.

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 01:40 AM

That's a fact.

Nitro Express
07-22-2012, 01:43 AM
I think the earliest thing I saw Tom Selleck in was the movie Midway. He has a small part when the Japs bomb Midway island. A lot of these guys spend years playing small roles before they get the big break.

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Just to end the discussion about Indiana Jones I submit the following...I know I'm gonna get burned for my part in derailing this thread but ya know what? I don't really care. Shit happens. Be glad it didn't happen to you and love your family and friends. I feel horrible for the people who were affected by this tragedy. But this is the Roth Army and a thread derailment is kinda what you should expect:

http://magnum-mania.com/Video/E_True_Hollywood_Story.html

gbranton
07-22-2012, 01:48 AM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Selleck

The Magnum, P.I. producers would not release the actor for other projects and thus, Selleck had to pass on the equally enticing film project for the title role of Indiana Jones, which then went to rising star Harrison Ford. The career-influencing choice between the role of Indiana Jones vs. Magnum P.I. actually haunted Selleck so much that before making the decision, he consulted his best friend on what to do. Together they came to the conclusion that taking the high road and honoring the first contract with Universal Studios was the career-savvy direction. It turned out that the shooting of the pilot for Magnum was delayed for over six months (due to a writers' strike) which would have enabled him to complete the role as Indiana Jones, if he had had the option to do so.

gbranton
07-22-2012, 01:58 AM

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff11/gbranton/word.jpg

I am the only guy you never met who has both Rockford Files novels in hardcover.

Now Jim Rockford was a guy who handled most situations without using a gun.

Nickdfresh
07-22-2012, 08:53 AM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Selleck

The Magnum, P.I. producers would not release the actor for other projects and thus, Selleck had to pass on the equally enticing film project for the title role of Indiana Jones, which then went to rising star Harrison Ford. The career-influencing choice between the role of Indiana Jones vs. Magnum P.I. actually haunted Selleck so much that before making the decision, he consulted his best friend on what to do. Together they came to the conclusion that taking the high road and honoring the first contract with Universal Studios was the career-savvy direction. It turned out that the shooting of the pilot for Magnum was delayed for over six months (due to a writers' strike) which would have enabled him to complete the role as Indiana Jones, if he had had the option to do so.

That may be, but that could also Tom Selleck rationalizing one of the stupidest career decisions ever. But as they say, hindsight is 20/20...

BITEYOASS
07-22-2012, 09:23 AM
How about Lebowski P.I.?

:bigwink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOdPC3l0nVc

vandeleur
07-22-2012, 09:29 AM
How about Lebowski P.I.?

:bigwink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOdPC3l0nVc

Class :D

chefcraig
07-22-2012, 09:45 AM
OK, somebody prove to me without a doubt that Higgins wasn't really Robin Masters. This has only gone unresolved for about 25 years now. :duh:

BigBadBrian
07-22-2012, 09:48 AM

He was British, after all. Being a prick for them is required. :gulp:

BigBadBrian
07-22-2012, 09:50 AM
OK, somebody prove to me without a doubt that Higgins wasn't really Robin Masters. This has only gone unresolved for about 25 years now. :duh:

I thought it was confirmed in the last episode, you know, where Magnum goes back in the Navy?

gbranton
07-22-2012, 12:22 PM
I thought it was confirmed in the last episode, you know, where Magnum goes back in the Navy?

He said he was Robin Masters but then later hinted that he had lied. In one episode, Thomas told a story about being with both Higgins and Masters, though he conceded that Higgins may have hired an actor to fool him. He described Masters as an Orson Wells like. Orson Wells provided the voice of Robin Masters throughout the series.

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 05:11 PM
I can't believe we have a Magnum PI thread now :biggrin:

And I think Higgins was Robin Masters. That was just genius when they started working that angle into the story line.

Nitro Express
07-22-2012, 05:18 PM
I tried to watch Hawaii Five-0 on Netflix but the show is just too old and dated. I always loved the opening score though. I notice they have Magnum P.I. It's been so long I don't remember any of the episodes.

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 05:51 PM
I thought I was the only person here who liked the show. Hate to admit it but I have nearly the entire series on DVD :)

Little Texan
07-22-2012, 06:04 PM
I thought I was the only person here who liked the show. Hate to admit it but I have nearly the entire series on DVD :)

I recently bought every DVD set up through the sixth season, and I'm almost done watching season 5.

The last episode of season 7 where Magnum dies was originally supposed to be the final episode of the series, but there was such an outcry from fans that CBS decided to bring back the series for an 8th season to bring Magnum back to life and to wrap the series up on a more positive note.

gbranton
07-22-2012, 06:07 PM
It's been so long I don't remember any of the episodes.

I think one of the fun things about watching Magnum and Rockford is seeing the guest stars before they became bigger stars. Almost every episode of Magnum P.I. there is somebody like Tom Ratzenburger or Pat Morita. There is also a busload of beautiful women in these episodes, such as Erin Grey, Morgan Fairchild and Sharon Stone.

gbranton
07-22-2012, 06:11 PM
And I think Higgins was Robin Masters. That was just genius when they started working that angle into the story line.

I don't think Higgins was Masters, partially because he was voiced by Orson Wells. They had had a great time stringing us along, right to the end, then giving us just enough that you could argue it either way.

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 06:11 PM
I think one of the fun things about watching Magnum and Rockford is seeing the guest stars before they became bigger stars. Almost every episode of Magnum P.I. there is somebody like Tom Ratzenburger or Pat Morita. There is also a busload of beautiful women in these episodes, such as Erin Grey, Morgan Fairchild and Sharon Stone.

The Sharon Stone two-part episode was great. One of the best endings of any TV show I've ever seen. Except for the Did You See the Sun Rise episode..

clarathecarrot
07-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Great show, I have probably seen all of them . I always thought it had enough and still does for a big screen flick, needs big screen treatment.

I like the Simon and Simon cross over shows. (another good show)

I also saw Sellec on Letterman (mentioned earlier) years ago talking about how he hated ( my strong word) Avacados and had a farm of the trees and was making decent bucks and it was sucessfull.... cracked me up..lol.

I am sitting there picking spilters out of my hands with pliers, thinkig..... I wish these were, I own a successful Avacado farm, splinters.

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 06:18 PM
I don't think Higgins was Masters, partially because he was voiced by Orson Wells. They had had a great time stringing us along, right to the end, then giving us just enough that you could argue it either way.

Exactly. And there was at least one episode where Robin Masters was actually at the estate at the same time as Higgins. Not to mention the episode where Magnum goes to Italy (is that right?) to pull a quick hostage rescue for someone important to Masters. I cannot believe I am having this argument in my head right now :biggrin:

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 06:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2VQIxE472A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gdj62aqx-w

chefcraig
07-22-2012, 06:30 PM

We have a pair of local cable channel called Antenna tv and Me-tv, which feature tons of old shows like Cannon, Dragnet and Adam 12. The guy that currently plays the most interesting man in the world (Jonathan Goldsmith) appears in more than half of them, usually as a thug or a slimy business man. And you guessed it, he appeared in episodes of The Rockford Files and Magnum PI as well.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/8/7d5c487292485c623502ee3d5781b413.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1049532)

Kathryn Harrold was stunning on the Rockford Files. She played a blind therapist Jim fell for while protecting.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z96/BuzzC/pal384.jpg

motherchicken
07-22-2012, 06:37 PM
We have a pair of local cable channel called Antenna tv and Me-tv, which feature tons of old shows like Cannon, Dragnet and Adam 12. The guy that currently plays the most interesting man in the world (Jonathan Goldsmith) appears in more than half of them, usually as a thug or a slimy business man. And you guessed it, he appeared in episodes of The Rockford Files and Magnum PI as well.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/8/7d5c487292485c623502ee3d5781b413.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1049532)
They had them in Texas and I get them here in Washington state. I dig their commercials with all the old school characters in them. My fave is Mark McCains memories of me.

gbranton
07-22-2012, 06:44 PM

This is the best I can do.

Episode #98 "Compulsion"

"...But a point comes when you cannot carry out the charade any longer. I don't own this estate. I am merely an employee here; a majordomo as it were, but the very best I know how to be. I am proud of my job. And I am proud of the life I have made for myself. And I am proud to have people like Agatha Chumley call me friend. And I find, to my great astonishment, that it no longer matters to me what the lads of Sandhurst think of Jonathan Quayle Higgins."

gbranton
07-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Kathryn Harrold was stunning on the Rockford Files. She played a blind therapist Jim fell for while protecting.

One of an incredible list of beautiful women who were on Rockford. I liked Lindsay Wagner's recurring role one the show quite a bit.

motherchicken
07-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Episode 70 Squeeze Play. Robin bets the estate on a softball game and loses. Robin flies in in his helicopter and tells Dick Shawn he knows he was cheated and throws him off the estate. Robin Masters is not seen on camera but Magnum and the character played by Dick Shawn knows him by sight.

Nitro Express
07-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Sammy. Did you see the sun rise in Cabo this morning?:biggrin:

gbranton
07-22-2012, 08:28 PM
That is an awesome ending to that episode. It is right up there with the ending of the movie Cop with James Woods. Most of the time in movies and tv the good guy would toss him a gun and let him reach for it or some other type of contrived horseshit. Thomas looked him in the eye and took care of business, just like you would do it in real life. Great stuff.

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Sammy. Did you see the sun rise in Cabo this morning?:biggrin:

If somebody could put that into a video...it would be the greatest video clip in the history of the internet :thumb:

Nitro Express
07-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah that would be funny as hell if you could find a clip of Sammy saying "Yes." and just keep Thomas Magnum doing the shooting.

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Yeah that would be funny as hell if you could find a clip of Sammy saying "Yes." and just keep Thomas Magnum doing the shooting.

There's gotta be somebody here who can do it. Although there'd be the usual outcry over the gun aspect...

Angel
07-22-2012, 11:37 PM
We watched a lot of Magnum and Rockford with our son. He used to always say that he was going to be a PI when he grew up.

He got his PI license when he was 18. Didn't take him long to realize it wasn't like the shows, lol. Most of his work was doing surveillance for insurance companies. Put on a bunch of weight sitting in his car for 12 - 16 hrs a day eating junk food and pissing in jars. He's still licensed, but he's not doing any work in the field anymore.

DONNIEP
07-22-2012, 11:49 PM
We watched a lot of Magnum and Rockford with our son. He used to always say that he was going to be a PI when he grew up.

He got his PI license when he was 18. Didn't take him long to realize it wasn't like the shows, lol. Most of his work was doing surveillance for insurance companies. Put on a bunch of weight sitting in his car for 12 - 16 hrs a day eating junk food and pissing in jars. He's still licensed, but he's not doing any work in the field anymore.

Well thanks for ruining the fantasy!!! :)

IceCreamBlondie
07-22-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm really enjoying reading this Magnum PI thread. Brings back great memories.

Nitro Express
07-23-2012, 12:00 AM

I take it the car wasn't a Ferrari either.

Nitro Express
07-23-2012, 12:01 AM
There's gotta be somebody here who can do it. Although there'd be the usual outcry over the gun aspect...

Not if it's Sammy getting shot.

gbranton
07-23-2012, 12:21 AM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4089/5044254731_8d7b1d5c43_b.jpg

Nitro Express
07-23-2012, 12:30 AM
WTF? A Magnum PI comic book? LOL!

gbranton
07-23-2012, 12:32 AM
That may be, but that could also Tom Selleck rationalizing one of the stupidest career decisions ever. But as they say, hindsight is 20/20...

Ever the fucking contrarian. When someone doesn't provide a link, you heckle them, but even when they do you find some way to disagree with it and prove you are right by trying to explain what Tom Selleck was thinking.

gbranton
07-23-2012, 12:33 AM
WTF? A Magnum PI comic book? LOL!

Yes, sort of. They were printed in England, hard bound and called "annuals". Today I suppose it would be called a graphic novel.

I collect books, I especially love books with movie or tv tie-ins and was checking to see if there was anything out there like this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/636b9c35-d4df-c4b9.jpg

gbranton
07-23-2012, 12:51 AM
I collect books, I especially love books with movie or tv tie-ins

For example THIS:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/aa/76/da0681b0c8a075916ce1f110.L.jpg

A 1979 novel about Detective Joe Leland, trapped in the Klaxon Oil building with a dozen terrorists and seventy five hostages at Christmas time.

Change the names to John McClain and Nakatomi Plaza and it should seem pretty familiar.

Nitro Express
07-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Ever the fucking contrarian. When someone doesn't provide a link, you heckle them, but even when they do you find some way to disagree with it and prove you are right by trying to explain what Tom Selleck was thinking.

Yeah if you provide a link and they don't like what you posted they piss all over it. Even if it's a source that would be ok to use in any college class unless the professor was a real radical liberal.

I really don't give a fuck. Roth got back into Van Halen. The music is great. We got to see it before western civilization implodes or WW III starts. All is good.

DONNIEP
07-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Going back now and watching the pilot for Magnum you see how the characters were pretty much fully developed from the first episode. Well, except for Rick. But for the most part it was all there in the first show. The one thing that I don't think they ever directly addressed was that Magnum was a Navy SEAL.

Angel
07-23-2012, 08:38 AM
I take it the car wasn't a Ferrari either.

Lol, no. Those would be a little hard to do surveillance in...would sort of stand out a little bit.

He did have one interesting assignment. An old guy who was worried his young girlfriend was seeing someone else. She was...another young girl. My son sat in a tree across from her apartment to obtain the photographic evidence. ;)

chefcraig
07-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Yes, sort of. They were printed in England, hard bound and called "annuals". Today I suppose it would be called a graphic novel.

I collect books, I especially love books with movie or tv tie-ins and was checking to see if there was anything out there like this:

The Kaminsky books are wonderful, if mainly for the odd effect of the way that when you read them, your mind recreates the voices of the characters in the show. It's a shame that he only came up with two of them before his death. Kaminsky also created the rather remarkable Inspector Rostnikov series, about a Russian police inspector, his family and somewhat odd co-workers. Kaminsky completed 16 books in the series, and appeared to be finishing off the tale before his untimely death in 2009. Highly recommended.

Little Texan
08-04-2012, 02:45 AM

Nitro Express
08-04-2012, 03:10 AM
Lol, no. Those would be a little hard to do surveillance in...would sort of stand out a little bit.

He did have one interesting assignment. An old guy who was worried his young girlfriend was seeing someone else. She was...another young girl. My son sat in a tree across from her apartment to obtain the photographic evidence. ;)

Actually the seats in a Ferrari 308 are not the most comfortable. They are pretty hard. Not the best car to sit in for hours and hours.