PDA

View Full Version : JUMP voted best ever sport song

Tot Brengen
07-27-2012, 03:44 AM
Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but JUMP has been voted best ever sport song.

Look here: http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/van-halen-track-voted-best-ever-sport-song/?

---
Van Halen’s only Billboard number-one single has topped a poll of the world’s best sporting songs, ahead of the Olympic Games in London.

Music rights body PRS For Music held a vote among its members to mark the London Olympics. The resulting top 20 also includes the Rolling Stones, Hawkwind, Queen, the Beatles, Survivor, Tina Turner and Journey.

PRS boss Guy Fletcher says: “Music plays such a classic role for both the spectator and participant. As a Brit I would have to vote for Spaundau Ballet’s Gold – I think we might get a few of those, fingers crossed.”

Jump, from Van Halen’s sixth album 1984, has a controversial history. Its heavily-featured synth riff alienated singer David Lee Roth, who’s said to have written the lyrics and performed the track under protest. The change in musical direction led to a split between the founder members and Roth’s later departure. Despite that, it remains one of the band’s most popular tracks.

Meanwhile, PRS for Music will stage a Marc Bolan memorial show in London in September. It’s set to include producer Tony Visconti, John’s Children member Andy Ellison, T Rex saxophonist Howie Casey alongside Alvin Stardust, Steve Harley, Glen Matlock and Rick Wakeman, with more to be announced. The backing band at the Shepherds Bush Empire will be official tribute outfit T Rextasy. Find out more.
PRS for Music’s top 20 sporting tracks

1. Jump – Van Halen
2. Start Me Up – Rolling Stones
3. Higher and Higher – Jackie Wilson
4. Gold – Spandau Ballet
5. Thriller – Michael Jackson
6. Wake Me Up! – Wham!
7. The Winner Takes It All – ABBA
8. Silver Machine – Hawkwind
9. We Are the Champions – Queen
10. Shine – Take That
11. Tracks of My Tears – Smokey Robinson
12. The Long and Winding Road – Beatles
13. Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
14. Simply the Best – Tina Turner
15. Jump Around – House of Pain
16. Gonna Fly Now – from Rocky
17. Another One Bites the Dust – Queen
18. Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey
19. Chariots of Fire Theme
20. We Will Rock You – Queen

Dave's Bitch
07-27-2012, 03:55 AM
The best sport's song from Van Halen is Ain't Talkin Bout Love

Tot Brengen
07-27-2012, 05:12 AM
Unchained springs to mind...

Yount
07-27-2012, 05:54 AM
When both New York teams took the field for the subway World series they both played Runnin' with the devil.

Dave's Bitch
07-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Exactly.There are so many more i would have picked before jump

Green Manalishi
07-27-2012, 09:39 AM
For several years the St. Louis Blues took to the ice with Unchained .

vandeleur
07-27-2012, 10:39 AM
The song that stands out a bit is silver machine , kinda surprised at it's inclusion to that list .. A bit obscure/left field

fourthcoming
07-27-2012, 02:08 PM
For several years the St. Louis Blues took to the ice with Unchained .

Good point.....I was thinking....I hear Unchained at alot more sporting events than Jump....especially hockey games.

gbranton
07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
I don't know about you, but Gold by Spandau Ballet gets me pumped up every time, it makes me want to strap on a helmet and rip someone's head off.

Seriously?

fourthcoming
07-27-2012, 02:18 PM
That's the London Silly Nanny's fight song.

fourthcoming
07-27-2012, 02:19 PM
This list is really out in left field....I love the Beatles....but The Long and Winding road? Where is Crazy Train??? Try going to a sporting event where Crazy train isn't played.

gbranton
07-27-2012, 02:20 PM
It makes me want to have a glass of wine and make sweet love down by the fire, not ideal in a crowded stadium.

Zing!
07-27-2012, 05:02 PM
This list is really out in left field....I love the Beatles....but The Long and Winding road? Where is Crazy Train??? Try going to a sporting event where Crazy train isn't played.

I hear it at least once at every MN Twins game.

Also - the Van Haggar lovers out there must be crushed that 'Right Now' didn't make the cut.

So this is love
07-27-2012, 08:09 PM
I don't know about you, but Gold by Spandau Ballet gets me pumped up every time, it makes me want to strap on a helmet and rip someone's head off.

Seriously?

you almost got me pumped up to kick your ass...

So this is love
07-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Crazy Train
Unchained
Kickstart my heart
You've got another thing coming
Dr. Feelgood
etc...

Dan
07-27-2012, 11:58 PM
This Is Great News.:D :hitch:

Yes,Yes And Yes.:D

SunisinuS
07-28-2012, 01:22 AM
And btw..the use of the soundboard recording of one of Dave's screams on last night's Stephen Colbert's report on his "Spore Repore" to vid of a power lifter:

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/thu-july-26-2012-peter-westmacott

'bouts 2nd story in.

Set up is about 4:31 in.

Edwards3rdWife
05-03-2014, 12:22 AM
" Jump, from Van Halen’s sixth album 1984, has a controversial history. Its heavily-featured synth riff alienated singer David Lee Roth, who’s said to have written the lyrics and performed the track under protest.... "

David never really admitted his disdain of keyboards, did he ? He always looked like he enjoyed doing Jump, just like the rest of his/their masterpieces.

" ... The change in musical direction led to a split between the founder members and Roth’s later departure. "

Uh, no that would be someone else ....

cadaverdog
05-03-2014, 12:39 AM
I don't think Dave has a problem with "Jump". If he did it wouldn't have been in his solo reportoire. There's even a video of Dave doing Jump with a huge orchestra on youtube.
As far as that being the number one sports song I couldn't agree less. "Wild Thing" is a better sports song than "Jump" and it's not even on the list. I guess they didn't include Gary Glitter's "Rock And Roll Part 2" because he's a pedophile. "Center Field" is another sports classic that didn't make the list. "Boys Of Summer" although not actually a sports song gets played quite a bit at baseball games.

cadaverdog
05-03-2014, 12:47 AM
Meanwhile, PRS for Music will stage a Marc Bolan memorial show in London in September.
Until recently I assumed Marc Bolan died of a drug or alcohol overdose. He was actually killed in a car crash. The ironic part is he never learned to drive because he was afraid he'd kill himself. His girlfriend did it instead. He owned several cars including a Rolls Royce limo but it was loaned out the night he died.

sonrisa salvaje
05-08-2014, 10:46 AM
WTF? Wham? I have never heard that at a sporting event even on television. I mean...what is the right time during a game to play Wake Me Up Before You Go Go? The song i hear the most (and i detest it) is Europe's Final Countdown. Compared to most of these songs Jump is almighty.

DlocRoth
05-12-2014, 03:03 PM
What about that pedophile's song?

lesfunk
05-12-2014, 05:28 PM
What Bullshit. The best song for sports is the one that child molester did.

cadaverdog
05-13-2014, 03:56 AM
What Bullshit. The best song for sports is the one that child molester did.
Do they still play that song at sporting events?

VHscraps
05-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Got to say that the 'great sports song' way of listening to that song is a bit naff. But, the mash-up of DLR's performance with Lennon's 'Imagine' reveals Dave's part to have hidden, melancholic depths.

Shit, Dave's been a lonely dude all these years ...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk