PDA

View Full Version : New Infiniti JX35's are stopping themselves!

qikgts
08-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Many may know about the new automatic braking systems on some new cars but it looks like they see things that aren't there according to reports received by NHTSA...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0CE4DF1639F936A3575BC0A9649D8B 63&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

THE National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating two complaints in which owners of 2013 Infiniti JX35 crossovers vehicles say the automatic braking system suddenly engaged while they were driving on a bridge, then stopped the vehicles without apparent reason.

In an e-mail, Steve Yaeger, a Nissan spokesman, said engineers found ''this particular location has unique roadway construction, which caused the system to activate; it is a situation that has only replicated in this particular spot.''

The N.H.T.S.A. complaints did not identify the location of the bridge, and Mr. Yaeger said he wasn't sure where it was.

Mr. Yaeger also said the company had no other reports of such malfunctions, but ''our engineers are working on a solution to help prevent this from occurring.''

In a document filed on Monday, the safety agency's investigators wrote, ''The consumers allege that the Intelligent Brake Assist system inappropriately activated emergency braking, autonomously bringing the vehicle to an immediate and complete stop.''

The investigation covers an estimated 8,000 of the new sport utility vehicles, which are sold by Nissan's Infiniti division.

Nissan says the Intelligent Braking System uses radar to gauge the closing speed and distance of vehicles ahead, and if the computer decides a collision is imminent it will apply the brakes.

For years, luxury automakers have had systems able to gently apply the brakes if the computer senses a collision, but systems that completely stop the vehicle appeared more recently. Some auto executives have said that is, in part, because of concerns over litigation.

''As I was driving, the I.B.A. suddenly stopped my car to a complete stop on a bridge,'' one owner complained to the agency about the braking system.

''Luckily the car behind me wasn't driving too close or I would have been hit,'' the owner said. ''Two weeks later I was driving with my mom and daughter and it happened again on the same bridge.''

A second owner also told the agency that her Infiniti slammed on the brakes while crossing what turned out to be the same bridge.

Mr. Yaeger said Nissan did not see the incidents as a ''safety issue'' because ''the braking is controlled and the brake lamps illuminate to alert the drivers behind the vehicle.''

N.H.T.S.A. opened what it called a preliminary evaluation.

That's fucked up...

twonabomber
08-14-2012, 07:32 AM
at least it's not a Toyota that speeds up whenever it wants.

kind of related...there is one spot in town where i always lose the Sirius signal. right in the middle of the road, not under a freeway bridge or drive through or anything. i'll have to take my GPS over there and see if it does the same thing.

Nickdfresh
08-14-2012, 09:49 AM
They've become "aware."

http://www.transcend.ws/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Hal9000.jpg

clarathecarrot
08-14-2012, 09:57 AM
They've become "aware."

http://www.transcend.ws/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Hal9000.jpg

You seen to be somewhat aware in other forums, but in your -The Front- you think bigger government and more control taken out of the hands of the people is absolutely needed.

Get a clue, joke dipshit.

How long until I am banned, if I take that shit filled diaper picture you ruined my president thread with, and follow every single one of your posts with it..?

Nickdfresh
08-14-2012, 09:59 AM
ClaratheD-bag spamming every thread 'cause he's gay for me or something....

clarathecarrot
08-14-2012, 10:02 AM
ClaratheD-bag spamming every thread 'cause he's gay for me or something....

I really don't know if I am gay, I may be.. bend over and pull your ass out and lets find out, Mr Mod.

jhale667
08-14-2012, 10:05 AM
I really don't know if I am gay, I may be.. bend over and pull your ass out and lets find out, Mr Mod.

He doesn't have to...you just answered your own question. :turninggay:

clarathecarrot
08-14-2012, 10:11 AM
He doesn't have to...you just answered your own question. :turninggay:

Oh no!! it's Nickie's assmuncher flunky to the rescue!!

He doesn't have to... AAhhAAhhhhAh hahah!!!

Nickdfresh
08-14-2012, 10:20 AM

I always thought you were more of a powerbottom...

clarathecarrot
08-14-2012, 10:29 AM
I always thought you were more of a powerbottom...

To late asshole you are a MOD placing baby shit filled scat pictures to derail a thread .

Next, will it be shit covered pictures of people, maybe some gaping asshole shots...? as your tool to get attention ?

Again, how long untill I am banned if I follow all of your posts with the same shit filled diaper picture ?

..and why are you still a Mod ?

ZahZoo
08-14-2012, 10:29 AM
It's one thing to have these automated systems misbehave... there's an even bigger growing threat out there to new cars... Car-Hacking.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9229919/Car_hacking_Remote_access_and_other_security_issue s

With the growing "connectivity" being installed on new cars, computer security threats are a real concern. Especially when you are allowing smart phones, iPods, MP3 players and the like easily attach via Bluetooth and/or USB ports in cars. That doesn't even cover GPS and wireless internet connectivity being built into cars. A lot of high end vehicles use wireless tire pressure sensors which communicate directly into the main ECU and networked systems in the cars.

Right now it's a bit on the expensive side to exploit some of these... but the Bluetooth connection with cell phones & iPods seems the simplest for hackers to go after. Once the malware is embedded theft become easy... but the great threat is the ability to control braking, acceleration and other feature that can endanger lives. Physical access to your ODB port under the dash is the most accessible... but then a Trojan or virus implanted into a network attached diagnostic system at a dealership could infect hundreds of vehicles a month if it went undetected for a period of time.

I like a few of the new Ford models... but with their SYNC system based on Microsoft's Automotive O/S... I have deep concerns about security holes and potential exploits... MS doesn't quite have a good track record in this area... never has.

Nickdfresh
08-14-2012, 10:39 AM
To late asshole you are a MOD placing baby shit filled scat pictures to derail a thread .
http://aka.media.jibjab.com/assets/06/09/48/76/736fwu.png

Derail? I improved it! I mean, really? You of all people call out and go after envy-me for her threads, then start yet another thread about your favorite topic, YOURSELF? Like anybody gives a fuck about your retarded posts and your huffing-addled thoughts?

Nickdfresh
08-14-2012, 10:42 AM
It's one thing to have these automated systems misbehave... there's an even bigger growing threat out there to new cars... Car-Hacking.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9229919/Car_hacking_Remote_access_and_other_security_issue s

With the growing "connectivity" being installed on new cars, computer security threats are a real concern. Especially when you are allowing smart phones, iPods, MP3 players and the like easily attach via Bluetooth and/or USB ports in cars. That doesn't even cover GPS and wireless internet connectivity being built into cars. A lot of high end vehicles use wireless tire pressure sensors which communicate directly into the main ECU and networked systems in the cars.

Right now it's a bit on the expensive side to exploit some of these... but the Bluetooth connection with cell phones & iPods seems the simplest for hackers to go after. Once the malware is embedded theft become easy... but the great threat is the ability to control braking, acceleration and other feature that can endanger lives. Physical access to your ODB port under the dash is the most accessible... but then a Trojan or virus implanted into a network attached diagnostic system at a dealership could infect hundreds of vehicles a month if it went undetected for a period of time.

I like a few of the new Ford models... but with their SYNC system based on Microsoft's Automotive O/S... I have deep concerns about security holes and potential exploits... MS doesn't quite have a good track record in this area... never has.

We're fucked. I really want a more stripped down car when it comes time to buy a new one, preferably with a 6-speed manual trans....

clarathecarrot
08-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Derail? I improved it! I mean, really? You of all people call out and go after envy-me for her threads, then start yet another thread about your favorite topic, YOURSELF? Like anybody gives a fuck about your retarded posts and your huffing-addled thoughts?

Oh I see, as I mentioned in another thread about the homos on this site trying to PM cyber her, like a bunch of 14 years olds .....I get it , you are one of them..?

My bad, cyber away then PM all your buds on how you scored with a Swedish babe...lol.

Sorry, I forgot?? you can delete posts and threads dump at will for no reason, post shit pictures like a opie and andie spam attack, punks from a few years back, who were banned immediately, and your desperate need to cyber with the hot chicks.

I am also sorry I went after you in this thread I should have in the Obamma is gay thread that is exactly, like the one I posted in -The Front- 4 YEARS ago and you dumped it immeadiately due to the subject matter..lol.

My bad.

Nickdfresh
08-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Oh I see, as I mentioned in another thread about the homos on this site trying to PM cyber her, like a bunch of 14 years olds .....I get it , you are one of them..?

My bad, cyber away then PM all your buds on how you scored with a Swedish babe...lol.

Sorry, I forgot?? you can delete posts and threads dump at will for no reason, post shit pictures like a opie and andie spam attack, punks from a few years back, who were banned immediately, and your desperate need to cyber with the hot chicks.

I am also sorry I went after you in this thread I should have in the Obamma is gay thread that is exactly, like the one I posted in -The Front- 4 YEARS ago and you dumped it immeadiately due to the subject matter..lol.

My bad.

I don't cyber anyone you retard. Unlike you, stuck in your trailer on your seat of empty Milwaukee's Best cans, I actually talk to women in the real world, dick lick...

ZahZoo
08-14-2012, 10:59 AM
We're fucked. I really want a more stripped down car when it comes time to buy a new one, preferably with a 6-speed manual trans....

I hear ya... when it comes time to replace my Chevy Avalanche I'm seriously thinking of searching out an old pickup that doesn't require $200K worth of electronic diagnostic tools to repair...

Nickdfresh
08-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Ford quality is job one! :) (Just don't mention that around my ex-work vehicle, a 6.0 Powerstroke diesel aptly named after masturbation...)

qikgts
08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
I hear ya... when it comes time to replace my Chevy Avalanche I'm seriously thinking of searching out an old pickup that doesn't require $200K worth of electronic diagnostic tools to repair...

Several years ago I had bought a used '02 F250. Nice truck, crew cab, short bed low miles. It was an XLT not a Lariat, 2wd, had the (way underpowered) 5.4. I had owned the truck for a little while, I guess about 3 years, and I had an electrical issue. It involved the OE keyless entry, power windows, power locks, auto headlamps, the radio, the horn, the dome lights; all kinds of shit.

I started digging through the wiring diagrams and I found the problem to lie with a microprocessor embedded into the instrument cluster. That chip decided when to supply power to the different circuits and it also was connected to the rest of the network in the truck. If I would have taken it to Ford to be repaired I have no idea what it would have wound up costing. I can only imagine it would have been in the thousands between the cluster and the labor to troubleshoot it.

I did an old school work around using a few relays and an aftermarket keyless entry unit for about $100.00. If I would have added another $15.00 part I could have had every feature working just like the factory did with the exception of talking on their in car network. Talk about over engineered... Especially considering it was a heavy duty pick up truck!

I hope whats old will be new again; I'm waiting for someone to start manufacturing cars that tout only having two computers in them (one for the fuel injection and the other for the air bags) along with a radio. No bullshit 15 modules for the locks and windows, no electronic climate controls, no active suspensions, no active lighting, no digital gauge clusters and no collision avoidance shit. Saving the engineering cost alone should equal something right?

BITEYOASS
08-14-2012, 09:28 PM
There are some things that either should not be computerized. Hell, its gotten to the point where I've been thinking of getting a vehicle with a manual transmission.