X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Director Tony Scott's Suicide

By ANTHONY CASTELLANO and LUCHINA FISHER (@luchina)
    Aug. 20, 2012

Tony Scott, director of "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder" and "Crimson Tide," had inoperable brain cancer, a source close to him told ABC News.

The famed director died Sunday after jumping from a bridge in Los Angeles, authorities said.

Police said they received a 911 call at about 12:30 p.m. that an individual had jumped off the Vincent Thomas Bridge. The body was recovered around 3 p.m., when it was identified by authorities as Scott, according to Lt. Joseph Bale of the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office. An autopsy is scheduled to be performed today.

The Coroner's Office found several notes to loved ones in Scott's car, a spokesman told The Associated Press. A suicide note was later found at his office, according to the AP.

"I can confirm that Tony Scott has passed away. The family asks that their privacy is respected at this time," Scott's spokesman, Simon Halls, said in a statement, according to the AP.

Scott, 68, was perhaps best known for directing "Top Gun," starring Tom Cruise in 1986, which went on to gross more than $300 million worldwide, according to IMDB.com. The duo worked again in the 1990 film "Days of Thunder."

The British-born director also frequently worked with Denzel Washington, most recently in the 2010 film "Unstoppable." They collaborated on four other films: "Crimson Tide," "Man on Fire," "Deja Vu" and "The Taking of Pelham 123."

Scott was the younger brother of producer and director Ridley Scott. Together, the brothers formed their own production company, Scott Free Productions. Their company produced the CBS dramas "NUMB3RS" and "The Good Wife."The 2012 blockbuster "Prometheus" was the latest film released by their production company.

Other Tony Scott films include "True Romance," written by Quentin Tarantino, "The Fan," with Robert De Niro, and "Enemy of the State," starring Will Smith.

In a tweet Sunday, director Ron Howard said, "No more Tony Scott movies. Tragic day."

"Most of the obits for Tony Scott will mention "Top Gun" first, but my favorite will always be "True Romance." RIP," tweeted film critic Richard Roeper.

Scott was survived by his wife, Donna, and their twin sons

Rest in Peace Tony
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

RIP Tony.
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's a shame although I can't say I was a big fan.

His best work was True Romance although he bottled it changing the ending to a happy one and I remember Tarantino not being happy.

His work seemed to be more about the bottom line than an artist. Nothing wrong with that but once you have made millions then there is nowhere much to go.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

I guess I'm more intrigued by the way he went out....

Famous people just don't jump from bridges anymore.

He had a million people to call to bring him a bottle downers and 2 fifths of grey Goose.

Public Suicide? Wonder if he was rethinking the shot on the way down?

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

185 feet - be just like hitting concrete from that height.

Comment

• envy_me
            Swedish Love Pump
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Dec 2010

If he had brain cancer maybe he wasn't himself. Maybe the tumor grew so big that it effected his mental health.
            The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Suicide is such a selfish act...
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                Suicide is such a selfish act...
                I agree to a point...

IF [and no one knows the circumstances here] someone becomes a burden to others, especially family and loved ones, I can see it as selfless.

I'd be calling for the percs and the Grey Goose if everyone's lives around me were constantly turned upside down over my state of health.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

If he had terminal brain cancer maybe he just said fuck it, I'm done. Sucks for his family and friends but maybe he didn't want to suffer for months. But I'd go with Lounge's prescription - way less painful..

Comment

• vandeleur
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Sep 2009

a shields lad made good , rip.
                    Thoughts are with the family something like this most be horrendous.
                    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• gbranton
                      Veteran
                      • Aug 2005

I am kind of divided on this. I understand wanting to escape the potential suffering of a disease like cancer, both my parents died from lung cancer that spread to their brains last year. The disease itself is horrible. The "treatment"? maybe even worse. Either way there is a ton of suffering, but I had a dear friend who was terminally ill and committed suicide at roughly the same age as my parents years ago and I am far less at peace with how it all went down. Selfish, I know but it just didn't seem right and his kids are still screwed up by it, more I think than if their dad had died in the hospital. There are no easy answers to this question, none.

I enjoyed his less well known movies by far. My favorite is The Last Boy Scout, I also like Crimson Tide quite a bit. Revenge was another pretty good one.
                      "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• envy_me
                        Swedish Love Pump
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gbranton
                        I am kind of divided on this. I understand wanting to escape the potential suffering of a disease like cancer, both my parents died from lung cancer that spread to their brains last year. The disease itself is horrible. The "treatment"? maybe even worse. Either way there is a ton of suffering, but I had a dear friend who was terminally ill and committed suicide at roughly the same age as my parents years ago and I am far less at peace with how it all went down. Selfish, I know but it just didn't seem right and his kids are still screwed up by it, more I think than if their dad had died in the hospital. There are no easy answers to this question, none.

I enjoyed his less well known movies by far. My favorite is The Last Boy Scout, I also like Crimson Tide quite a bit. Revenge was another pretty good one.
                        It is strange that he did it in such dramatic way. If I was to kill myself I'd do it with pills and alcohol.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by envy_me
                          It is strange that he did it in such dramatic way. If I was to kill myself I'd do it with pills and alcohol.
                          Overdosing on pills and alcohol might be the most painless way to go, but it also runs the risk that somebody might walk in on you and stop your plans.

Once you jump off a bridge, nobody is stopping that. And if the impact of hitting the water itself doesn't kill you, you would drown soon enough.

And plus, the guy directed action movies. It would be more shocking if he DIDN'T put some drama into the whole thing. Hell, I'm surprised he didn't bring a camera crew.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• envy_me
                            Swedish Love Pump
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by FORD
                            Overdosing on pills and alcohol might be the most painless way to go, but it also runs the risk that somebody might walk in on you and stop your plans.

Once you jump off a bridge, nobody is stopping that. And if the impact of hitting the water itself doesn't kill you, you would drown soon enough.

And plus, the guy directed action movies. It would be more shocking if he DIDN'T put some drama into the whole thing. Hell, I'm surprised he didn't bring a camera crew.
                            I wouldn't be brave enough to jump.

Comment

• BumBahDeeDah
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Mar 2004

I feel really blessed right now that Ive never had a problem so big that I had to debate suicide witn myself, and Mr Scott's problem was HUGE, so I wont judge. Of course, I've seen people with problems that were not anywhere near as bad as that take their own life and think to myself, "How could you do that to your loved ones over _________________________?! Selfish coward."

Comment

Working...