Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motherchicken
    • Nov 2009

The California World Music Festival

I've seen threads here about Van Halen at The Us Festival but can't say I've seen much about what might have been their first headlining gig at a festival. I know they played a few festivals before this one but I'm pretty sure this was the first one they headlined. The second (also the last) day of The California World Music Festival at the LA Coliseum. The first day (saturday) featured Cheap Trick and Aerosmith. Nugent played sunday during the day and Van Halen played sunday night. I've not seen any videos of the concert but going on memory alone Van Halen seemed all about the music then. Not much flash just straight up rock and roll. I'm sure somebody out there can post some video.
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

This Day in CVH/DLR History

Van Halen plays Walter Mitty's in Pomona, CA.

Van Halen plays Murray State University Fieldhouse in Murray, KY. Journey and Montrose are the headliners.

Van Halen plays the "California World Music Festival" at the Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, CA. Van Halen plays the second day of the two-day event. Van Halen invited more than 300 people to the show as their personal guests. The band and crew arrived in a fleet of 16 white limousines. A chimpanzee dressed up like David Lee Roth and accompanied by two little person bodyguards greeted the guests at the gate. The bill in order of appearance:
      April Wine
      Boomtown Rats
      Brownsville
      Cheech and Chong
      Eddie Money
      Mother's Finest
      Toto
      UFO
      Van Halen
      Aerosmith

Van Halen plays the Northland Coliseum in Edmonton, AB. Rail is the opening act.

David Lee Roth plays the Harford Civic Center in Hartford, CT.

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Comment

• motherchicken
          • Nov 2009

That's what happens when you rely on memory alone. My premise for the thread was a little off. They co-headlined the second day. Hell, for a long time I would have sworn I saw them at Cal Jam II. I drank too much and did way too many drugs back then. I can remember things that happened in the parking lot like the dudes in the van parked next to me projectile vomiting after drinking way too much beer and my best friends drunken girlfriend hitting on me while he was passed out in the back seat of my car but my memory of most of the concert is pretty sketchy.
          Last edited by motherchicken; 08-26-2012, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• BumBahDeeDah
            Head Fluffer
            • Mar 2004

I bet the chimp got laid and most of the wasted partiers didnt. Somewhere there's awoman who's still sayin, "He had an animal magnetism, he was a beast in that dark space backstage. He never called......."

Comment

• motherchicken
              • Nov 2009

Maybe Courtney Love mistook Cheetah for Ted Nugent In that other thread. Cheetah was hairy and wore a loin cloth. She just assumed he was Ted.

Comment

• Angel
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                This Day in CVH/DLR History

Van Halen plays the Northland Coliseum in Edmonton, AB. Rail is the opening act.
                My favourite of all the ones I've been to! This is the one where I had mega interaction with the band....Damn good times...
                "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

Working...