PDA

View Full Version : Internet Paranoia Bullshit and the Fuckwits at Infowhores...

Nickdfresh
09-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Why does Social Security need 174,000 bullets?
By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER | Associated Press – 7 hrs ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — It didn't take long for the Internet to start buzzing with conspiracy theories after the Social Security Administration posted a notice that it was purchasing 174,000 hollow-point bullets.

Why is the agency that provides benefits to retirees, disabled workers, widows and children stockpiling ammunition? Whom are they going to use it on?

"It's not outlandish to suggest that the Social Security Administration is purchasing the bullets as part of preparations for civil unrest," the website Infowars.com said.

Another website, The Daily Caller, said the bullets must be for use against American citizens, "since the SSA has never been used overseas to help foreign countries maintain control of their citizens."

The clamor became such a distraction for the agency that it dedicated a website to explaining the purchase. The explanation, it turns out, isn't as tantalizing as an arms buildup to defend against unruly senior citizens.

The bullets are for Social Security's office of inspector general, which has about 295 agents who investigate Social Security fraud and other crimes, said Jonathan L. Lasher, the agency's assistant IG for external relations.

The agents carry guns and make arrests — 589 last year, Lasher said. They execute search warrants and respond to threats against Social Security offices, employees and customers.

Agents carry .357 caliber pistols, Lasher said. The bullets, which add up to about 590 per agent, are for the upcoming fiscal year. Most will be expended on the firing range.

Some bloggers have taken issue with the type of ammunition the agency is buying, questioning why agents need hollow-point bullets. Hollow-points are known for causing more tissue damage than other bullets when they hit a person because they expand when they enter the body.

The bullets, however, are standard issue for many law enforcement agencies, Lasher said, a fact confirmed by the directors of two law enforcement training centers.

"For practice ammunition, they do not have to be hollow-points, but hollow-points are the normal police round used for duty ammunition due to their ability to stop when they hit an object as opposed to going through it and striking more objects," said William J. Muldoon, president of the International Association of Directors of Law Enforcement Standards and Training.

"Six hundred rounds per year for training, qualification and I would assume to carry on duty is not out of line at all," said John W. Worden, director of the University of Missouri's Law Enforcement Training Institute. "Hollow points are carried by law enforcement all over the country and are probably the preferred type of ammo no matter what caliber."

The episode illustrates what can happen when a seemingly salacious tidbit gets amplified and embellished on the Internet.

A few weeks ago, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration had a similar dustup when it solicited bids for 46,000 rounds of ammunition and shooting targets, seemingly to arm workers at the National Weather Service. It turns out the notice had a clerical error and the bullets were for NOAA's Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement, the agency said.

Social Security's turn in the pillory hit a crescendo when Jay Leno joked about it in a recent monologue on "The Tonight Show." ''What senior citizens are they worried about?" Leno asked. "I mean, who's going to storm the building?"

Lasher said, "That's why we opened a blog post. We were getting a lot of inquiries and the blog gave us a vehicle to put all of the accurate information out there in one place, so that those who are interested or concerned can read what the real story is."

Yahoo.com Link (http://news.yahoo.com/why-does-social-security-174-000-bullets-070710918.html)

DONNIEP
09-04-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm assuming the agents are carrying .357 Sig pistols and that's a hot fucking round. You'd definitely want hollow points to try and mitigate over penetration. I don't see what the big deal is...

Edit - dipshit me didn't see the explanation why hollow points are preferred.

Dr. Love
09-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Why do they need hollow points? What are they trying to hide inside the points??

Nickdfresh
09-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Why do they need hollow points? What are they trying to hide inside the points??

No. They just want to open up unruly elderly social security earners with a mushrooming, high velocity magnum bullet. Eat that fucking old people!

ELVIS
09-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Citizens should buy up all the ammo they can get their hands on...

Nickdfresh
09-04-2012, 10:45 PM

That's just a conspiracy to enrich ammunition and gun makers...

FORD
09-04-2012, 10:53 PM

Who would Jesus shoot?

Little Texan
09-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Judas, probably.

FORD
09-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Nah, if He wanted to put a hit out on Judas it would have been easy enough to do so, and let the Romans take the rap for it, when they came to arrest Him. Especially when Peter took out his sword and sliced that dude's ear off. If JC hadn't healed the guy, it probably would have been all Hell breaking loose right then, and all you would have to do is throw Judas in front of anyone moving forward with a sharp object in their hands.

Redballjets88
09-05-2012, 12:26 AM
I'm getting a gun this week..sometimes at midnight someone bangs on your door for ten minutes ( no one comes to my place without calling at least) and it freaks you out. Welcome my friend the judge .45/410 capability. Don't worry I'm not gunna shoot anyone who isn't actively attempting to hurt me

Seshmeister
09-05-2012, 01:02 AM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk7j_RPbbp_HSlEZdokbXiUxtlN1GZk jWXqD279CAdTh-S3M7xaA&t=1

motherchicken
09-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Who would Jesus shoot?
The dude who calls him the invisible sky daddy.

VHscraps
09-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Judas had no choice - his fate was determined: 'you will betray me', etc. JC told him.

He had to betray JC for all the rest to unfold, so why does he keep getting a bad rap. If it wasn't for Judas's intervention (i.e., fulfilling his fatal role in the drama), then you'd have no crucifixion as we know it, no martyred Christ, and no Christianity.

:amen::amen::amen:

ashstralia
09-05-2012, 06:07 AM
Exactly, scraps. I reckon he'd be more likely to shoot Dan brown. Or perhaps that nazi in the Vatican. ;)

VHscraps
09-05-2012, 06:11 AM
You know, I drove past Rosslyn church last week on my way to IKEA in Edinburgh, and almost went in ... until I saw the prices for the tour.

Dan Brown's fault, that. Yes, I'd shoot him too.

ELVIS
09-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Judas did have a choice...

ashstralia
09-05-2012, 06:15 AM
So did eve...

vandeleur
09-05-2012, 06:23 AM
You know, I drove past Rosslyn church last week on my way to IKEA in Edinburgh, and almost went in ... until I saw the prices for the tour.

Dan Brown's fault, that. Yes, I'd shoot him too.

Scraps you should have gone years ago it cost nothing lol and yeah dan brown gets it :biggrin:

ashstralia
09-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Imagine the uk/aus/kiwi meetup grog bill... Oops back on topic now, yezzaahh!

vandeleur
09-05-2012, 06:43 AM
:beers8:

DONNIEP
09-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Mmm...Beer :gulp:

VHscraps
09-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Judas did have a choice...

Judas was just a detail in a plan that was predetermined. I'm not saying that is a historical fact, it is simply in the logic of the account of the synoptic gospels. If Christ knew he would be betrayed, why let it happen? Because it was necessary that it should unfold that way for him to die and rise again, i.e., to become more than a mere mortal.

DONNIEP
09-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Because it was necessary that it should unfold that way for him to die and rise again, i.e., to become more than a mere mortal.

Just like Connor Macleod!!

ashstralia
09-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Or John Connor even. (arnie's voice) "are you Sarah Connor?"

Seshmeister
09-05-2012, 08:22 AM
They should have got better writers in, there are more plot holes than Lost...

Angel
09-06-2012, 11:21 PM
What's the buzz, tell me what's happenin'....

Nitro Express
09-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Hollow point ammunition is quite a bit more expensive than just full metal jacket ammo. In a higher velocity round like a .357 SIG you can't use cast bullets like you can in .45 ACP or .38 Special because they lead up the barrel so you have to have a jacket on the bullet. I know police departments often just buy reloaded plain jacketed ammo to practice with and then save the more expensive hollow points for duty carry. As long as the bullet is the same weight and the velocity is the same you won't notice any difference shooting it. But then it's the US Government and they are absolute experts on wasting money.

One thing you certainly want to check out is if your pistol will feed the particular bullet you are using. I have one pistol that will reliably feed one brand of hollow point but will jam feeding another brand. So by using the actual carry ammo in practice they can see if there are any of those types of problems.

motherchicken
09-08-2012, 03:22 AM
They should have got better writers in, there are more plot holes than Lost...
Lost refered to the writers thought proccesses when they were told to come up with an ending for the show that answered all the questions the fans of the series would have. What could have been a great ending turned into a pile of shit.