PDA

View Full Version : Romney Now Says He Is In Favor Of Some Parts Of Obamacare

Hardrock69
09-10-2012, 06:11 PM
He is a traitor to the Republican Party and anyone who votes for him is a traitor to the Party also.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2012/09/within-hours-mitt-romney-takes-back-everything-he-said-about-preexisting-conditio?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Within Hours, Mitt Romney Takes Back Everything He Said About Preexisting Conditions

—By Kevin Drum
| Sun Sep. 9, 2012 5:01 PM PDT

On national TV on Sunday morning, with millions of people watching, Mitt Romney told David Gregory that there were parts of Obamacare he actually liked. In fact, he said, one of the goals of his health care plan "is to make sure that those with preexisting conditions can get coverage." A few hours later, with approximately zero people listening, a spokesman quietly "clarified" what he meant:

In reference to how Romney would deal with those with preexisting conditions and young adults who want to remain on their parents’ plans, a Romney aide responded that there had been no change in Romney's position and that "in a competitive environment, the marketplace will make available plans that include coverage for what there is demand for. He was not proposing a federal mandate to require insurance plans to offer those particular features."

As it happens, we already have a competitive market for individual insurance. In addition, we already have demand for coverage of preexisting conditions. And yet, the marketplace doesn't make policies available to people with preexisting conditions.

Why? Because policies that cover preexisting conditions are big money losers unless you charge premiums high enough that no one could afford them. Because of that, nobody bothers to offer them in the first place. That's how the free market works. It would be nice if Romney could explain how he intends to square this circle.

It would also be nice if the mainstream press reported the fact that Romney doesn't plan to make sure those with preexisting conditions can get health coverage just as loudly as they reported his original misstatement. I'm not holding my breath.

UPDATE: BuzzFeed passes along yet another clarification. According to an aide, "Gov. Romney will ensure that discrimination against individuals with preexisting conditions who maintain continuous coverage is prohibited."

This has long been Romney's position, and it's not clear if it's meaningful or not. This kind of protection has been the law of the land since 1996 for people with group coverage. And people who lose group coverage already qualify for individual COBRA coverage for 18 months. So the only way Romney's statement means anything is if he's saying he would pass a law that requires insurance companies to offer permanent individual coverage at a reasonable price to people who lose their group coverage. Needless to say, Romney has never actually committed to that particular detail.

UPDATE 2: And keep in mind that even if Romney did commit to this detail, it's still far, far less than Obamacare's preexisting conditions provision, which is what Romney originally implied he supported. Obamacare simply guarantees that you can get health coverage, full stop, no matter what preexisting conditions you may have.

Satan
09-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Well, considering the whole thing was copied from HIS plan, it was pretty fucking stupid for him to claim to be opposed to it in the first place.

It would be like ME claiming to be opposed to FIRE!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d010.gif

DavidLeeNatra
09-11-2012, 10:29 AM
can't wait for Romney's "I suck dicks for votes"-campaign when he suddenly comes to fight for gay marriage, too...

ZahZoo
09-11-2012, 11:01 AM
One has to ask... if majority of the American public favors regulation that forces coverage of people with pre-existing conditions and the ability to carry your kids on your insurance to age 26, which are two of the most popular features in the American Care Act...

Does Romney's supporting that make "him" the traitor... or those that oppose it the real traitors?

I'd say the later.

How about it's time Washington listen to what the American public wants...

DavidLeeNatra
09-11-2012, 01:19 PM

are you fucking nuts???

jhale667
09-11-2012, 05:19 PM

Y'know, that sounds great in theory, but has it ever happened? Begs the question...

are you fucking nuts???

:biggrin:

Hardrock69
09-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Zahzoo....it is merely pointing out that the Republican party platform in this election is to repeal Obamacare.

ALL OF IT.

If Mittens suddenly decides to go against the party platform, he is a traitor in the minds of hard core Republicans.

And so I am pointing that out to them.

Tonight on ABC News, they said that now in the latest Gallup poll, it is something like Obama 52% and Romney 45%.

I know...such numbers are irrelevant, as they are just for the group of people in the current poll.

But another part of the story is how the high-up mucky-mucks in the Retardlican party are starting to heavily criticize Mittens and Ryan because they still have no plans for anything.

Diane Sawyer has been verbally abusing Ryan rather easily....pointing out how he and Mittens talk a lot of talk but have no concrete plans for the economy, foreign policy, national security, etc., and Ry-uns has no rational or valid answers to give her. She ends up making him look pretty fucking stupid. Obviously he is eager to help.

Here is what this scenario looks like to me.

It looks like the Republicans are not actually running for office.

They appear to be faking it. Much like McCain was in 2008. No other reason he shot his campaign in the foot by naming Stoopid Palin as his running mate.

Obama is the shoe-in for the election and Mittens has decided it is not even necessary for him to make any plans as he is not scheduled to be elected in 2012 anyway. This is why he has no problem admitting that he is lying about just about everything.....if he loses the election, he can say anything now, and it will be irrelevant.

Nickdfresh
09-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Here is what this scenario looks like to me.

It looks like the Republicans are not actually running for office.

They appear to be faking it. Much like McCain was in 2008. No other reason he shot his campaign in the foot by naming Stoopid Palin as his running mate.

Interesting point. I don't think they're faking it, but I sense that many are already throwing in the towel and preparing for four more years....

Whatever happened to the poster 4MoreYears? I wish he'd log in. :)

BigBadBrian
09-12-2012, 10:59 AM
One has to ask... if majority of the American public favors regulation that forces coverage of people with pre-existing conditions and the ability to carry your kids on your insurance to age 26, which are two of the most popular features in the American Care Act...

Does Romney's supporting that make "him" the traitor... or those that oppose it the real traitors?

I'd say the later.

Agreed. There are items in Obamacare that I would say most Americans, including most conservatives, agree with. The Pre-existing conditions issue is one of them.

BigBadBrian
09-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Zahzoo....it is merely pointing out that the Republican party platform in this election is to repeal Obamacare.

ALL OF IT.

Yes, and then work with the Democrats for a reasonable bipartisan plan for healthcare reform, not something shoved down America's throat. Saving Medicare should be one of the main goals. As it is now, Medicare is unsustainable, not to mention that alot of healthcare facilities and doctors are dropping Medicare because Barry's plan tries to save money by reducing the reimbursements to those entities.

ZahZoo
09-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Agreed. There are items in Obamacare that I would say most Americans, including most conservatives, agree with. The Pre-existing conditions issue is one of them.

The second item I mentioned... allowing your kids to stay on your health insurance until 26 is another key point. There's a very good reason no one is crying foul over this because it's a win-win for almost everyone.

First and foremost the kids are getting coverage at a time when it's least available for them, especially if they aren't landing top jobs that provide benefits. Second the insurance industry is getting increased full premiums for an age group generally in their best health of their life and lowest expectancy of financial risk to insurers. While employers and parents are footing the bill for premiums is a downside... corporate motives run deeper. Allow the employee to insure their kids... then they can up co-payments to reduce their costs, suppress salary growth to improve their bottom line...value to the share holders and keep the employees locked into slavery to keep those benefits. Health industry benefits... people with insurance go to the doctor more frequently than not.

We haven't even gotten to the meat of this discussion yet... Now why are the Republicans "appearing" to have no plan and seem to be holding back even in supporting Romney..?

I believe there's a bigger plan brewing no matter who gets elected to the White House. But... I firmly believe the focus is a play on the somewhat strange Supreme Court ruling that classified the insurance mandate as a "Tax". That ruling wasn't exactly in line with the court's general political leanings... I really was expecting the mandate provision to fall. But now think there's something more sinister in play...

By classifying the mandate as a tax, clearly puts the matter into the realm/control of the legislative branch. I don't know what direction this thing is going to go but... If there's anything Congress can muck with and generate it's Tax related bullshit. I just have a feeling some surprise legislation that will take down ObamaCare is being crafted and will emerge after the inauguration... It will be centered on the "Tax" classification...

Seshmeister
09-12-2012, 03:03 PM

ELVIS
09-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Romney's lying...

If elected he's gonna find a reason not to get rid of Obamacare...

it will probably be Romneycare...

FORD
09-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Romney's lying...

If elected he's gonna find a reason not to get rid of Obamacare...

it will probably be Romneycare...

Of course it will.

But he won't re-launch it until Bain CrapAllOverItAll buys one of the major insurance companies, like United Health Care or BlueCross/Blue Shield.

And then he would replace Medicare with Eddie Munster's Randtard Voucher bullshit, with the vouchers only redeemable at the insurance corporation he just bought.

FORD
09-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Yes, and then work with the Democrats for a reasonable bipartisan plan for healthcare reform, not something shoved down America's throat. Saving Medicare should be one of the main goals. As it is now, Medicare is unsustainable, not to mention that alot of healthcare facilities and doctors are dropping Medicare because Barry's plan tries to save money by reducing the reimbursements to those entities.

Why bother going through all the trouble of filibusters and bullshit negotiations over a corporate "solution", when the most efficient, effective and logical answer is simply to expand Medicare to everyone?

knuckleboner
09-12-2012, 09:46 PM

to be fair, it really wasn't shoved down America's throat. it was debated for many months. public debates. the house version of the bill was changed. if you're considering it "shoved" because republicans didn't get involved, then at least half the blame lies with the republicans who were adamantly opposed to letting obama get an easy, yet significant, victory. mcconnell talked about hanging the albatross around obama's neck. that's not exactly conducive to bipartisan compromise...

Hardrock69
09-13-2012, 05:23 AM
The Republicans will never allow themselves to take the blame for Obamacare being signed into law.

Even though they ARE just as much to blame.

Just like the Medicaid $716 billion payment cuts Paul Ryan had in his "plan" that he is criticizing now as if he can blame it all on Obama.

Nitro Express
09-13-2012, 05:49 AM
The problem with Obamacare was the sneaky way it was just rammed through into law without the proper public scrutiny or any concern for what the public wanted out of a government healthcare program. We wanted some regulation to keep the prices down, not a total takeover of the healthcare system and having patient/doctor relations meddled with. If anything the Democrats and Republicans have proven to the public they both equally suck. They both abuse power and have no concern for the citizens who have to pay for all their shenanigans. They have proven to us they could care less about us and all they care about is the money the lobbyist give them.

Nitro Express
09-13-2012, 05:52 AM
to be fair, it really wasn't shoved down America's throat. it was debated for many months. public debates. the house version of the bill was changed. if you're considering it "shoved" because republicans didn't get involved, then at least half the blame lies with the republicans who were adamantly opposed to letting obama get an easy, yet significant, victory. mcconnell talked about hanging the albatross around obama's neck. that's not exactly conducive to bipartisan compromise...

We had no idea what they were passing. It kept changing. They kept adding to it. Nancy Pelosi snidely said in her cocky voice,"we have to pass it to see what's in it". Then of course most the members of congress didn't even bother to read the bill before voting on it.

Nitro Express
09-13-2012, 05:59 AM
Why bother going through all the trouble of filibusters and bullshit negotiations over a corporate "solution", when the most efficient, effective and logical answer is simply to expand Medicare to everyone?

That would be better than what we got and much cheaper. Have a medicare plan everyone can join if they want to or they can buy private insurance if they so choose. The more choices you allow the consumer the more market pressure to keep the prices down. If done right a government insurance program would act like a price ceiling because if the private insurance goes too far beyond what people can get government insurance for people won't buy those plans. The problem is there isn't enough decent people in the government to administer such a system. You need good people in power to do this. We mostly have people who should be dragged off to prison.

BigBadBrian
09-13-2012, 08:11 AM
The second item I mentioned... allowing your kids to stay on your health insurance until 26 is another key point. There's a very good reason no one is crying foul over this because it's a win-win for almost everyone.

Except for dependents of military veterans. They CANNOT stay on their parent's insurance. They must pay an extra $216 a month for that privilege. SecDef panetta claims it's too expensive otherwise. What a cunt!

BigBadBrian
09-13-2012, 08:13 AM

Not a viable option.

ZahZoo
09-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Except for dependents of military veterans. They CANNOT stay on their parent's insurance. They must pay an extra $216 a month for that privilege. SecDef panetta claims it's too expensive otherwise. What a cunt!

I'm not getting your issue here... no one gets this for free. I have to pay an additional $150 a month, per dependent, on my corporate sponsored coverage. Still cheaper than what kids could buy on their own.

Also... of the general Military population I'd figure a small portion would have adult age kids with the exception of certain lifers in the officer ranks. I'd assume this is a very limited impact area given most military folks are under 40.

FORD
09-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Not a viable option.

Says who?

(Besides the insurance corporations and their shills in Congress)

Va Beach VH Fan
09-13-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm not getting your issue here... no one gets this for free. I have to pay an additional $150 a month, per dependent, on my corporate sponsored coverage. Still cheaper than what kids could buy on their own.

Also... of the general Military population I'd figure a small portion would have adult age kids with the exception of certain lifers in the officer ranks. I'd assume this is a very limited impact area given most military folks are under 40.

Note that Brian said "veterans"....

My oldest was off my books when he hit 21 (he didn't attend college)...

My youngest can be on my books until he's 23 since he's in college....

Brian's referring to "Tricare Young Adult", which is fairly new....

knuckleboner
09-13-2012, 07:16 PM
We had no idea what they were passing. It kept changing. They kept adding to it. Nancy Pelosi snidely said in her cocky voice,"we have to pass it to see what's in it". Then of course most the members of congress didn't even bother to read the bill before voting on it.

then you weren't paying attention. there were lots of hearings, briefings, reports, etc. most people only paid attention to the soundbites, which is why pelosi (and i actually HATE defending her) said that once it was passed and people actual saw what they were getting rather than just getting the 5 word quote, most people would appreciate it. kind of like people keeping their kids on insurance until 26, and the prohibition against kicking people off for pre-existing conditions.

ELVIS
09-13-2012, 07:26 PM
That's how you defend that worthless progressive botox bitch ??

FORD
09-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Well, in all fairness, the plan Pelosi initially passed out of the House had a public option in it. It was Spineless Harry Reid in the Senate who let the traitourous pieces of shit like Max Baucus, Ben Nelson, and Blanche WalMart shit all over it. And worse yet, Chris Dodd, who took Ted Kennedy's bill and stripped out everything good about it.

And then "retired" from the Senate to become chief lobbyist stooge for the fascist nazis at the MPAA.

So I don't blame Pelosi for killing actual health care reform. But I DO still blame her for taking Chimpeachment off the table. :(

ELVIS
09-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Bush was no worse than Obama, so...

There was some good in Ted kennedy's bill, but I just don't trust the federal government one bit...

But we will end up with national healthcare one way or another...

knuckleboner
09-13-2012, 08:22 PM
That's how you defend that worthless progressive botox bitch ??

i defended the quote. which was taken completely out of context. i didn't defend her. despite what the republicans tried to do, it was always about more than just one person...

ELVIS
09-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Thank you...

ZahZoo
09-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Note that Brian said "veterans"....

My oldest was off my books when he hit 21 (he didn't attend college)...

My youngest can be on my books until he's 23 since he's in college....

Brian's referring to "Tricare Young Adult", which is fairly new....

Thanks for clarifying... I missed the key word "veterans". Ok then it makes sense.