PDA

View Full Version : Pat Robertson tells a viewer to become a Muslim so he can beat his wife!!

FORD
09-13-2012, 11:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoHdO2rwGwE

jhale667
09-13-2012, 11:47 PM
:doh:

FORD
09-13-2012, 11:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O39c1BpVgLc

FORD
09-14-2012, 12:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0lYYBhzf-4

Sensible Shoes
09-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Why isn't this guy locked up in an Alzheimer's ward?

FORD
09-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Why isn't this guy locked up in an Alzheimer's ward?

Well, given his attitudes about wife beating, maybe Mrs. Robertson is afraid to make the call? :(

gbranton
09-14-2012, 02:43 AM
I think this whole thread is bullshit. Not because I give a flying fuck about Robertson, because I do not. I think television evangelists are just one notch above child molesters and people who abuse animals. It's not because I didn't find that clip cringeworthy, because I did. But I do have a bunch of shit to say about both sides of this.

The first thing about Robertson is that is is a fucking old man and old men often cling to beliefs, figures of speech or mannerisms that society has long since left behind. Should Pat Robertson have been off the air long ago? Fuck yes.

But to the nimrods scolding him in the other two film clips, I'd like to ask them how well their grandfather would do in front of a tv camera? The answer is, he would get hemmed up and say some dumb or offensive shit at some point. No question. Mine would have without a doubt and so would yours.

My grandfather was born in 1900. He was a farmer, he had a fairly large tract of land to farm well before the advent of combines, so that meant labor and lots of it. In addition to raising a somewhat large family, he partnered with black families who lived nearby to get the crops to market, in exchange for a share of the revenue. Those families worked shoulder to shoulder with my mom, aunts and uncles, they came in and out of the family home and they had access to all of my grandfather's most valuable property. He respected those families, bought them gifts and his success was tied closely to theirs, yet when he talked to or about them, he referred to them as "n*ggers". As a boy in the 1970's and 80's I was flabbergasted by this (say it on the schoolyard during that time and you were going to fight) but they did not seem to take any offense to it. Maybe they did but if they did, they had a funny way of showing it. Telling me in conversations that they did not think anything of it and even coming to his funeral with their kids my age telling me what a great man they had been told he was, when they could have stayed home and nobody would have noticed because at that time the combines were already working the land and we had not seen those folks in years. My point is, if you had put him on tv at Robertson's age he would have told everyone in tvland about all the great hardworking n*ggers that used to help him bring crops to market or round up and feed the cattle. It would have looked and sounded offensive to modern ears. Since he was a lifelong, straight ticket voting Democrat somebody could have taken the clip and characterized all Democrats as racists, just like the fucking idiots above did about right wingers or Republicans, when in fact he would be representing almost NOBODY in modern society. Did my grandfather have some outmoded beliefs? Yes. Was he a bad man? I think not.

I know tons of people who would self-identify as Conservatives, Right Wingers or Republicans and not a single fucking person I know or would possibly be associated with would EVER regard their wife as property or think that abuse is ANY way shape or FUCKING form is EVER ok, for that dumb bitch in the second video to say "that's what you get from them" is just fucking ridiculous rhetoric, for anyone to eat that shit up and think it represents almost anyone in the real world makes you look as stupid as Robertson.

It seems like the old geezer (Robertson) started off trying to make a joke to me. Does homeboy need to stand up to his wife (short of abusing her) and stand up for himself? Fuck yes he does, unless he wants to get run over and abused his whole life. Further more, Robertson is probably correct that as a kid that dude's wife was never made to mind, respect others or told the word "no", that's how people get that way to begin with. Did Robertson make an ass of himself? Most certainly. Does he represent an entire party of fellow Americans, maybe 50 million or more? Fuck no, and if you think so you have fucking problems.

FORD
09-14-2012, 03:14 AM
My grandpa said some dumb things too... Made comments about "dirty japs" until the day he died....even when it had nothing to do with actual Japanese people. Pretty sure he used that term for crows that were in his garden. He was born in 1900 also, by the way. Which means he didn't even fight in World War II, so I'm not sure where the whole obsession with "japs" came from.

But then, grandpa never claimed to be a spokesman for God. That's what makes Pat Robertson's shit different.

gbranton
09-14-2012, 03:32 AM
But then, grandpa never claimed to be a spokesman for God. That's what makes Pat Robertson's shit different.

True that, he's not a spokesperson for anyone I know, which was a big part of my point. For him to say he it is wrong, for anyone else to say it is equally wrong.

Va Beach VH Fan
09-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Embarrassed his entire "complex" is like 6 miles from my house.......

Oh by the way, that complex includes Regent University, in which its School of Law produced many of the lawyers for the Bush Administration....

Sensible Shoes
09-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Does he represent an entire party of fellow Americans, maybe 50 million or more? Fuck no, and if you think so you have fucking problems.

He doesn't represent the Repubs, but he does represent fundamentalist Christians who are a huge portion of the Republican and COnservative parties, and a strong lobby group unto themselves.

Nickdfresh
09-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Can't mindless old cunt just expire already?