Jon Hubbard, Arkansas Legislator, Says Slavery May 'Have Been A Blessing' In New Book

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Jon Hubbard, Arkansas Legislator, Says Slavery May 'Have Been A Blessing' In New Book

Jon Hubbard, a Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives, has written a new book in which he says slavery was "a blessing" for African-Americans, among other questionable statements.

Hubbard, a first term Republican from Jonesboro, Ark., makes a series of racially charged statements in the self-published book, including saying that integration of schools is hurting white students, that African slaves had better lives under slavery than in Africa, that blacks are not contributing to society, and that a situation is developing the United States which is similar to that of Nazi Germany.

The questionable statements in Hubbard's book, "Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative," were first reported by Arkansas Times and TalkBusiness.net.

Regarding slavery, Hubbard wrote:

“… the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth.” (Pages 183-89)

On the subject of school integration, Hubbard described black students as having a "a lack of discipline and ambition," which he said has hurt the entire educational system.

Hubbard also tackled immigration and said that Christians in America are in a similar position to that of Germans during Hitler's rise to power.

... the immigration issue, both legal and illegal ... will lead to planned wars or extermination. Although now this seems to be barbaric and uncivilized, it will at some point become as necessary as eating and breathing." (Page 9)

Hubbard declined to comment on the book when contacted by The Huffington Post, saying that he did not have time.

An Air Force veteran, Hubbard sells insurance in Arkansas and Missouri. He serves on several legislative committees, including ones dealing with issues related to aging, insurance, telecommunications, and waterways and aeronautics policy.

On his campaign website, Hubbard says he will defend Christianity as a state lawmaker.

"And perhaps the most important pledge I can make to the people of District 58, the citizens of Arkansas, and to myself, is to do whatever I can to defend, protect, and preserve our Christian heritage," Hubbard says on his website. "Regardless of one’s religious beliefs, if we as a nation continue to turn away from those Christian principles and values upon which this great nation was founded, we will have truly lost everything worth saving!"

Hubbard has a history of taking conservative stances in the legislature. In June, he called for the University of Arkansas to be audited to see if tax money had been spent on a panel discussion about undocumented immigrants. In February, he asked the state Department of Health to implement a policy that would require birth certificates be produced by anyone seeking non-emergency medical care in a hospital in order to prove their citizenship.
  • qikgts
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2012

Who the fuck votes for these people?
    You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

• Jesus Christ
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

If what this person believes in are "Christian principles", then I, the Messiah, must not be a "Christian".

And since I am CHRIST, then perhaps they should call their belief system something else, since it clearly hath nothing to do with My teachings.

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

True dat.

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

FUCK. This. Guy.
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Angel
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by qikgts
            Who the fuck votes for these people?
            Arkansanians?
            "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

This guy is from the northeastern part of the state... primarily agriculture based... what we call the "Delta" region. Mostly white (Caucasian) rice farmers with a few soybean and corn outfits with several small pockets of black communities neatly segregated. It's also heavily influenced by the religious ultra-conservatives populating southern Missouri.

The Delta area of Arkansas which runs between the Arkansas and Mississippi rivers is mostly rural agricultural based, small communities. It's also an area that has struggled with integration since the civil rights era and the further south you go it blends into the Mississippi Delta region... No surprise there's some left-overs and backwards thinking coming from the racial end of things...
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                This guy is from the northeastern part of the state... primarily agriculture based... what we call the "Delta" region. Mostly white (Caucasian) rice farmers with a few soybean and corn outfits with several small pockets of black communities neatly segregated. It's also heavily influenced by the religious ultra-conservatives populating southern Missouri.

The Delta area of Arkansas which runs between the Arkansas and Mississippi rivers is mostly rural agricultural based, small communities. It's also an area that has struggled with integration since the civil rights era and the further south you go it blends into the Mississippi Delta region... No surprise there's some left-overs and backwards thinking coming from the racial end of things...

Maybe so, but even they should have the sense to STFU and not make idiotic statements like that in public. He should be pelted with rocks and garbage everywhere he goes from now til the day his sorry racist ass DIES.
                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I agree JH... what's worse is these guys in Arkansas aren't just making off the cuff remarks in or out of context. They are writing this stuff in books that reflect their inner thoughts and intellectual motivations.

It's somewhat of an eye opener to experience that in this day and age people in the US still think and operate this way... But there's still large pockets of communities that do across the country.

Due to my work I've lived in some pretty progressive places like Silicon Valley, Colorado Springs and Austin, Tx... Very diversified communities and mindsets and life feels pretty darn modern and keeping with the times. Sure there's crazy thinkers and some forms of racism and fanatical factions... but it all balances out fairly smoothly overall.

But you get out into smaller communities you find that diversity isn't as well spread and very little to force a balance. It's not just in the deep south or bible belt. I actually found it just as prevalent in the upper Mid-West and even a bit more openly blatant there... At least southern culture extends a warm hand of friendliness with a welcome smile when you're face to face... In the Mid-West it's cold stares and glares and sometimes flat out in your face rudeness.

In many ways... we've not come as far as we think in our society. There's still work to be done...

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I agree JH... what's worse is these guys in Arkansas aren't just making off the cuff remarks in or out of context. They are writing this stuff in books that reflect their inner thoughts and intellectual motivations.

It's somewhat of an eye opener to experience that in this day and age people in the US still think and operate this way... But there's still large pockets of communities that do across the country.

Due to my work I've lived in some pretty progressive places like Silicon Valley, Colorado Springs and Austin, Tx... Very diversified communities and mindsets and life feels pretty darn modern and keeping with the times. Sure there's crazy thinkers and some forms of racism and fanatical factions... but it all balances out fairly smoothly overall.

But you get out into smaller communities you find that diversity isn't as well spread and very little to force a balance. It's not just in the deep south or bible belt. I actually found it just as prevalent in the upper Mid-West and even a bit more openly blatant there... At least southern culture extends a warm hand of friendliness with a welcome smile when you're face to face... In the Mid-West it's cold stares and glares and sometimes flat out in your face rudeness.

In many ways... we've not come as far as we think in our society. There's still work to be done...
                    Totally agree, we've still got a long way to go. And I saw some pretty racist shit in places like Indiana when I was touring with QR... and just willfully ignorant people that are why we still haven't come far enough.

I love that I've barely had to deal with ANY of that crap in the last 20 years living in Cali... had I stayed in the wannabe South I'd be in jail for killing some mouthy redneck by now, no kidding.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

It's sad to deal with it... becomes very obvious this time of year with high school football. In our conference of 8 teams... 3 come from predominately white communities, 3 black and 2 fairly mixed. My area is pretty progressive but still 98% white... the other 2 Caucasian towns are as redneck as they come. You can just feel the tension at home and away depending on who you're playing... And there's no damn reason for it!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                        If what this person believes in are "Christian principles", then I, the Messiah, must not be a "Christian".

And since I am CHRIST, then perhaps they should call their belief system something else, since it clearly hath nothing to do with My teachings.
                        Ahh ok well you must be able to show us where in the bible the Jesus character spoke out against slavery?

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          Ahh ok well you must be able to show us where in the bible the Jesus character spoke out against slavery?
                          it wasn't bad then, they had lots o churches to still build
                          Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

My favorite biblical quotation.

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)
                            Hallelujah!

Thank you invisible cloud daddy for your holy word to help us live our lives morally and well!

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

It's sad to deal with it... becomes very obvious this time of year with high school football. In our conference of 8 teams... 3 come from predominately white communities, 3 black and 2 fairly mixed. My area is pretty progressive but still 98% white... the other 2 Caucasian towns are as redneck as they come. You can just feel the tension at home and away depending on who you're playing... And there's no damn reason for it!!
                              None whatsoever. Anyone who espouses racism - or denies science - in this day and age should have to wear an "I'm stupid" shirt 24/7... that would include several members of Congress apparently...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

Working...