PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen Performs "Panama" With Mitch Malloy

ALMOSTsaved
10-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Looks like the dude at Melodicrock has posted this track on YouTube of Mitch Malloy performing "Panama" with Van Halen back in '96 before Cherone joined. It's the first time I've ever heard this guy's voice and to be fair, this is TRULY an abomination:

ELVIS
10-10-2012, 07:42 AM
It's at least as good as Cherone or Hagar butchering classic Van Halen...:biggrin:

ALMOSTsaved
10-10-2012, 07:45 AM
I think a Van Halen tour with Malloy would've ended like the Mötley Crüe tour with John Corabi....in the clubs.

rocking ron
10-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Good vocals.......4 a Van Halen............coverband:luck:

mh5150
10-10-2012, 08:21 AM
The only good thing I can say about this is I love EVH tone on this demo. Other than that Mitch sounds like a cover band singer and I have heard better.

chuckjitsu
10-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Guh. At least Malloy was smart enough to avoid the deep dark Van Halen bros. hole in the ground that Cherone ultimately fell into...

Diamondjimi
10-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Atrocious!

There's only one motherfucker who can do CVH....

vandeleur
10-10-2012, 10:12 AM
That's shit.

Diamondjimi
10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
The only good thing I can say about this is I love EVH tone on this demo. .

Really? Sounds like an out of the box factory preset on a Boss multi-effect pedal, imo...

loucap81
10-10-2012, 10:44 AM
That was utterly forgettable.

sadaist
10-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I think a Van Halen tour with Malloy would've ended like the Mötley Crüe tour with John Corabi....in the clubs.

Fuck, the Cherone tour ended up like that. I saw them at the Del Mar Fair. Day of the tickets were only $10 and that included entrance to the fair. WTF?

And this sounds just like when you hear these mash up bands make a tribute to VH. Guitarist from Enuff Z Nuff, singer from Trixter, bass player from Faster Pussycat....etc.

chefcraig
10-10-2012, 11:21 AM
The following was left off of the clip at the very end...

"Thank you, thank you! We are The Poundcakers, and we will be back after a short break. In the meantime, Budweiser buckets are on sale for only $8.99, chicken wings and clams are available at a quarter a piece, and don't forget Sunday is NFL-All-You-Can-Eat-Potato Skins-For Ten Bucks-Day! Thanks for visiting us here at The Wingery, and please be generous to your servers".

Good grief. http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/surprise/dead-025.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

DONNIEP
10-10-2012, 11:28 AM
No wonder Eddie was so deep in the bottle and sucking the glass dick a few years later. Can you imagine having to audition singers for Van Halen and knowing that no matter how good the guy is there's just no way to replace Dave? I can hear him now, "Well, he was pretty good, right? I mean, he's no Dave but he was ok, right?" :gulp:

ZahZoo
10-10-2012, 12:07 PM
I was curious about the Malloy deal... lackluster seems to apply. Nothing missed here. Happy to move on and forget about this now.

chefcraig
10-10-2012, 12:26 PM
I was curious about the Malloy deal... lackluster seems to apply. Nothing missed here. Happy to move on and forget about this now.

Just remember...Patty Smyth and Jimmy Barnes were supposedly in the running at one point, too. And if you really want to huff on some spray paint cans, you could believe those David Coverdale rumors as well. Man, it's been a lean 26 years, ain't it?

jhale667
10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
That certainly was chock full of "meh". :rolleyes:

sadaist
10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Tone aside, Eddies playing sounds pretty damn good here. It honestly should have been on tour & making a new album with Dave at that time. Man, the stars all lined up for them to be the biggest reunion of all times in 1996 and Eddie fucked it up.

This was interesting to listen to though. I'd like to hear the Coverdale stuff. Funny how everyone tries to sing these songs like Dave & not make it their own.

vandeleur
10-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Funny how everyone tries to sing these songs like Dave & not make it their own.

That's because Dave owns them tunes , van halen having another singer try Dave's tunes is like Elvis reforming without Elvis :D

FORD
10-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Sounds like one of those generic hair band singers, but that's not surprising since Andrew is his biggest fan.

A demo with MIKE Malloy singing would have been far more interesting than this :biggrin:

ALMOSTsaved
10-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Fuck, the Cherone tour ended up like that. I saw them at the Del Mar Fair. Day of the tickets were only $10 and that included entrance to the fair. WTF?

That would've killed me to see Van Halen in a setting like that.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-10-2012, 01:29 PM
The VH III tour was absolutely painful....

Embarrassing is probably a better word....

DONNIEP
10-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Embarrassing it probably a better word....

I've only seen the few clips that have been up here. But I did sit through an entire boot of it over on the Van Halen Radio site just to actually see what it sounded like. It sucked balls. Gary's a nice guy, blah blah fuckety blah. Whatever. The show sucked and hearing Gary sing Dave's songs was like getting your dick caught in your zipper - you only do it once.

sadaist
10-10-2012, 01:39 PM
That would've killed me to see Van Halen in a setting like that.

I've said it before here, but I was at the Del mar Fair show. We left about 2/3 through. I remember walking through the parking lot & hearing Panama. Was so depressing. My favorite band was ruined. The only highlight (kinda) was when gary left the stage & Michael Anthony sang Somebody Get Me A Doctor. They would have been more accepted as Van Halen if they just went as a 3 man band & let MA do the singing. Although his voice is pretty high, at least he belongs in VH. i could have stomached that.

chuckjitsu
10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I've only seen the few clips that have been up here. But I did sit through an entire boot of it over on the Van Halen Radio site just to actually see what it sounded like. It sucked balls. Gary's a nice guy, blah blah fuckety blah. Whatever. The show sucked and hearing Gary sing Dave's songs was like getting your dick caught in your zipper - you only do it once.

Honestly, I'd rather listen to an entire boot than watch clips from that tour. At least with the boots you wouldn't have to watch Gary prancing around and doing horrifying things like bending over and reaching underneath himself to grab his own ass- I still have retinal scarring from that. His frontman skills were...lacking.

vandeleur
10-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Don't know , I liked his break ya neck fall down the stairs move he brought out in Australia .... Giggled my tits off doesn't cover it :D

jhale667
10-10-2012, 02:39 PM
I was still working "in the industry" in '96, and I remember all of us being SO excited around the office when we got an advance copy of "Me Wise Magic" ... it was euphoric. The morning after the MTV awards debacle, we were like "Dunno, man - Eddie was visibly getting pissed at Roth (being Roth)..." Everyone had that feeling in the pit of their stomach it was about to all go to shit again, and it did. When we found out about Roth being ousted for Cherone, the entire office was bummed. Our favorite band had done possibly the dumbest/lamest thing on earth - surpassing the stupidity of getting Tubby McHagar in the band, and no one thought that was even POSSIBLE... Malloy would have been a self-inflicted shot in the foot too...

chefcraig
10-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Honestly, I'd rather listen to an entire boot than watch clips from that tour. At least with the boots you wouldn't have to watch Gary prancing around and doing horrifying things like bending over and reaching underneath himself to grab his own ass- I still have retinal scarring from that. His frontman skills were...lacking.

I was hanging out, watching wrestling on tv, getting high and drinking with a bunch of guitar players from my own and a few other bands the night that VH At The Ten Spot disaster came on. They kept saying "Forget this crap, put the wrestling back on, ya dope." I urged them to stick with it, as it might turn out OK. About five seconds later, Cherone did his "Fire In The Hole" bend over routine, embarrassing not only me but a visably surprised Alex Van Halen. Everyone in the room gave me a highly disdainful glare, the tv remote was ripped from my hand and I lost all musical credibility for roughly the next three months.

As Colonel Kurtz would say: "The horror! The horror!"

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/Apocalypse84/apocalypse_now_3.jpg

Angel
10-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Just remember...Patty Smyth and Jimmy Barnes were supposedly in the running at one point, too. And if you really want to huff on some spray paint cans, you could believe those David Coverdale rumors as well. Man, it's been a lean 26 years, ain't it?

So was Sass Jordan... I'd like to hear recordings of that one...

ZahZoo
10-10-2012, 04:46 PM

The Patty Smyth deal might have been interesting... but Yes, it's been a damn lean 26 years...

Yount
10-10-2012, 05:08 PM
I didn't know Van Halen auditioned Ted Danson for the vocs. Cool!

And this sounds just like when you hear these mash up bands make a tribute to VH. Guitarist from Enuff Z Nuff, singer from Trixter, bass player from Faster Pussycat....etc.

LOL man too true. So can we call these boys together a "supergroup" too?

Jimmy Barnes ... supposedly in the running at one point, too.

I reckon that might have worked, cos I'm pretty sure Barnsey was a massive fan of the odd quiet ale.

DONNIEP
10-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Took another listen to this. I don't think I've ever heard any of this guy's stuff. Kinda reminds me of the lead singer of Y&T - not as "good" to my ear but kinda similar.

chuckjitsu
10-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I was hanging out, watching wrestling on tv, getting high and drinking with a bunch of guitar players from my own and a few other bands the night that VH At The Ten Spot disaster came on. They kept saying "Forget this crap, put the wrestling back on, ya dope." I urged them to stick with it, as it might turn out OK. About five seconds later, Cherone did his "Fire In The Hole" bend over routine, embarrassing not only me but a visably surprised Alex Van Halen. Everyone in the room gave me a highly disdainful glare, the tv remote was ripped from my hand and I lost all musical credibility for roughly the next three months.

As Colonel Kurtz would say: "The horror! The horror!"

Guess we both got what we deserved for watching that atrocity! :)

Va Beach VH Fan
10-10-2012, 08:39 PM
I was still working "in the industry" in '96, and I remember all of us being SO excited around the office when we got an advance copy of "Me Wise Magic" ... it was euphoric.

Do I need to break out Eddie Murphy's "Ritz Cracker" story again ?? ;)

sadaist
10-11-2012, 10:14 AM
:)

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2008-11-25-NoSubsIII_150.jpg

DLR Bridge
10-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Took another listen to this. I don't think I've ever heard any of this guy's stuff. Kinda reminds me of the lead singer of Y&T - not as "good" to my ear but kinda similar.

I vaguely recall a single this guy had in the early 90's. I think is was called Anything At All. Just some cheese whiz pop rock tune.

Yeah, in no ones right mind would this guy be a suitable replacement for anyone.

sadaist
10-11-2012, 12:06 PM
I vaguely recall a single this guy had in the early 90's. I think is was called Anything At All. Just some cheese whiz pop rock tune.

Yeah, in no ones right mind would this guy be a suitable replacement for anyone.

Not ragging on this guy because who wouldn't want to sing with Eddie & Alex? But his problem is he sounds exactly like 100 other guys from the late 80's early 90's. Slaughter, Bullet Boys, etc... All those singers are totally interchangeable with each other. None are unique which is why none really stood out & had any type of longevity. Even Sammy has some uniqueness to him that the others didn't.

Q: What makes you different from all the other guys in your genre?

A: Uhhh....his name is Mark, mine is Mitch. That's different right? And my hair is prettier.

fourthcoming
10-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Mitch Cumstein could have done a better job.

jhale667
10-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Do I need to break out Eddie Murphy's "Ritz Cracker" story again ?? ;)

"DAMN, that's a good cracker! Is that a saltine??" :lmao:

DLR Bridge
10-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Mitch Cumstein could have done a better job.

You mean Mitch "may I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo" Cumstein? You're probably right.

DLR Bridge
10-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Not ragging on this guy because who wouldn't want to sing with Eddie & Alex?

I agree with that in the way that Cherone or anyone for that matter would kick themselves for the rest of their days if they passed on the offer. It is, however, perfectly fine to rag on this guy for his lack of style and originality though. It's like you said, carbon copy cookie cutter singers need not apply. How this guy got as far in the running for the job as he did, I'll never understand. Just another sad, unfortunate testimony to just how lost the brothers are without the proper guidance.

Top Jimmy
10-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Fuck, the Cherone tour ended up like that. I saw them at the Del Mar Fair..

Me too....that was the first time I ever saw "van halen' live, having been raised on Roth era,
it was an odd experience seeing that show...turtlenecks....
but having done my late teens in the Hagar era, and knowing how little Roth material they did,
it was cool hearing stuff like Romeo Delight, and Mikey singing on SGMAD, but it was...I don't know..

HUGE KUDOS to Gary for having the balls to take the job,
but I'm glad things (eeeeventually) worked out the way they did.

Ed kicks ass that night, but still....ya know?

I saw DLR solo that same year, totally stole the show from Bad Co..I had a way better time than the Fair.

Guitar Shark
10-11-2012, 03:56 PM

Embarrassing is probably a better word....

The only good thing about that tour was Eddie's playing.

fraroc
10-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Well to be honest, Mitch sounds too much like an 80s hair metal singer. It's techincally not bad, but its NOT Van Halen and I have a feeling that Mitch would have defiently not the CVH songs any justice.

Hardrock69
10-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I can see why he eventually stopped getting calls from Ed.

Ugh.

I only listened to the first 30 seconds and I could not stand it any more. Sounded like one of the clones I used to see in bars back in the 80s....where guys would not only sing the songs, but would try to imitate Uncle Dave's mannerisms......and would look like robotic trained monkeys in leg warmers. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but sometimes it crossed the line into idiotic stupidity in the guise of "bar band entertainment".

Mitch had a good voice, but lacked 'balls'. No swagger. No soul. Just a lifeless carbon copy cardboard-cutout imitation of a DLR wannabe.

And I hated Ed's guitar tone on that thing. Talk about dull, lifeless, laboratory sterile.......it sounded like a wet piece of toilet paper compared to the molten atomic blast-furnace grind of the first 2 albums.....

Jérôme Frenchise
10-11-2012, 04:50 PM
You can't believe the dude when he says "I'll get her...ah!" - sounds like a hysterical 14-year-old girl...

Guy sounds gay. They should have left that clip in the drawer they found it in.

DONNIEP
10-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Mitch had a good voice, but lacked 'balls'. No swagger. No soul.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Like I said, the guy kinda sounds like the dude from Y&T. So I listened to 'em back to back and Mitch's voice sounds real similar to me except I was thinking it was missing the "bottom end".

Sensible Shoes
10-11-2012, 05:48 PM
No wonder Eddie was so deep in the bottle and sucking the glass dick a few years later. Can you imagine having to audition singers for Van Halen and knowing that no matter how good the guy is there's just no way to replace Dave? I can hear him now, "Well, he was pretty good, right? I mean, he's no Dave but he was ok, right?" :gulp:

I don't see him saying this, considering he's referred to Dave, Spambot, and Cherone as "the singer".

DONNIEP
10-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't see him saying this, considering he's referred to Dave, Spambot, and Cherone as "the singer".

Hey, don't try to interject reality into my fantasy :biggrin:

Yount
10-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Hey, don't try to interject reality into my fantasy :biggrin:

Not that far-fetched, deep down Ed knows Dave is the shit. He may not have said it but surely the thought crossed his mind, surely there was an exchange of glances or two with Alex. Everyone else on the planet knows DLR is VH.

DONNIEP
10-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Everyone else on the planet knows DLR is VH.

That's the fact Jack!

fraroc
10-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Not that far-fetched, deep down Ed knows Dave is the shit. He may not have said it but surely the thought crossed his mind, surely there was an exchange of glances or two with Alex. Everyone else on the planet knows DLR is VH.

Eddie NEVER hated Dave. He's been upset with him but he NEVER hated him. No matter what anyone says. Spam on the other hand absolutley despised Dave for no good reason, HE dragged the whole band into his "crusade" against DLR. The real reason why I hate Spamborita McHaggis is because he's a dick. He makes himself out to be Mr. Cool but it dosen't take a genius to figure out everything he says is pure, fucking insincere, Hollywood shite.

Hardrock69
10-11-2012, 10:58 PM
To say the least.

The Fat One is a prime example of someone who got lucky and made a pile of cash with minimal talent.

Hardrock69
10-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Did I say "minimal"? I meant to say NO talent.

Nickdfresh
10-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Eddie NEVER hated Dave. He's been upset with him but he NEVER hated him. No matter what anyone says. Spam on the other hand absolutley despised Dave for no good reason, HE dragged the whole band into his "crusade" against DLR. The real reason why I hate Spamborita McHaggis is because he's a dick. He makes himself out to be Mr. Cool but it dosen't take a genius to figure out everything he says is pure, fucking insincere, Hollywood shite.

Um, no dude, they HATED each other in the 80's...

Nickdfresh
10-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Malloy sounds way to much like Spam to me...

sadaist
10-11-2012, 11:46 PM

Of course it crossed Eddies mind. 97% of interviews or fan interactions he had from 1985 until today someone always brings up Dave. If Eddie ever forgot it was quickly brought back into his mind.

Halen High
10-12-2012, 12:10 AM

Jimmy Barnes would have been another bad fit for Van Halen. But as an Aussie who grew up listening to Cold Chisel on the radio every day I can at least say that Jimmy destroys Hagar as a lyricist and sings and performs live with a lot more attitude than Hagar ever did. He's also something else that Hagar never was... cool.

Halen High
10-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Looks like the dude at Melodicrock has posted this track on YouTube of Mitch Malloy performing "Panama" with Van Halen back in '96 before Cherone joined. It's the first time I've ever heard this guy's voice and to be fair, this is TRULY an abomination:

The band sounded good but Malloy was boring. Another one-dimensional power vocalist with no idea how to sing with menace and attitude.

fraroc
10-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Um, no dude, they HATED each other in the 80's...

Eddie was very pissed off at Dave in the 80s, I'm not going to deny that at all. But I do feel that It's wrong to say that they outright hated each other. If it was true hatred, they NEVER would have attempted to get back together.

Nitro Express
10-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Eddie was very pissed off at Dave in the 80s, I'm not going to deny that at all. But I do feel that It's wrong to say that they outright hated each other. If it was true hatred, they NEVER would have attempted to get back together.

I think both were too drunk and high most the time to even know what was going on. It probably was more chemicals, liquids, and big egos than actual hate.

bjaramil
10-14-2012, 01:26 AM
that corabi crue album is one of my faves...heavy!!!

bjaramil
10-14-2012, 01:27 AM
that mitch malloy sounds bland...eddie woulda been better off with his original choice...Patty Smyth....hahahahahah

bjaramil
10-14-2012, 01:28 AM
this whole reunion is not very invigorating. it seems as though everything is controlled. from where dave stands, to how close he can get to them...leaves a bad taste...i'd much rather see DLR Band or the Yankee Rose Band back on it!

78/84 guy
10-14-2012, 06:01 PM
that mitch malloy sounds bland...eddie woulda been better off with his original choice...Patty Smyth....hahahahahah

Not really. The fact that Ed thought this could have been a good idea is a fucking joke ! Hagar was a ok choice at the time. I DID SAY AT THE TIME ! He did a few good songs with Ed. But his ego ruined the live shows by not doing Roth songs. The Patty Smyth VH would have went nowhere fast ! Ed would have really drank himself to death, and I wouldn't have seen the last two concerts with Dave. Ed screwed up bad in 96 ! The band has never really recovered in many ways. Their image anyways. They picked Gary over this guy because he was in a well known band. This guy sounds just like him.

fraroc
10-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Not really. The fact that Ed thought this could have been a good idea is a fucking joke ! Hagar was a ok choice at the time. I DID SAY AT THE TIME ! He did a few good songs with Ed. But his ego ruined the live shows by not doing Roth songs. The Patty Smyth VH would have went nowhere fast ! Ed would have really drank himself to death, and I wouldn't have seen the last two concerts with Dave. Ed screwed up bad in 96 ! The band has never really recovered in many ways. Their image anyways. They picked Gary over this guy because he was in a well known band. This guy sounds just like him.

I agree about what you said Sam. His solo stuff is listenable but most of Van Hagar was complete sterotypical shite. (I love how brits say 'shit' btw) Summer Nights, Get up and Source of Infection would have actually been pretty good Dave songs if they were done with Dave in the band. Ironically, Sammy hates the song Source of Infection. But of course, every single self-respecting CVH fan thinks that Love Walks In and When it's Love is complete stereotypical 80s bullshit. The lyrics to Love Walks In don't even make any sense and sure as hell don't remind me of "love" When it's Love is 100000000% uninspired, cliche "I Love You" shit.

sadaist
10-14-2012, 07:25 PM
this whole reunion is not very invigorating. it seems as though everything is controlled. from where dave stands, to how close he can get to them...leaves a bad taste...i'd much rather see DLR Band or the Yankee Rose Band back on it!

They act as if it's not a big deal. So strange. they work as little as possible. Only half a tour, zero promotion, cheap videos, etc. I don't get it. Like they are content with making whatever money and have no desire or drive to double or triple it by busting ass and doing interviews & promos everywhere.

Yount
10-14-2012, 07:51 PM
They act as if it's not a big deal. So strange. they work as little as possible. Only half a tour, zero promotion, cheap videos, etc. I don't get it. Like they are content with making whatever money and have no desire or drive to double or triple it by busting ass and doing interviews & promos everywhere.

I feel your pain, it'll never be the same.
These guys are probably burnt by the whole experience. They've been musicians since the day dot, 40-odd years, let's say 30 years of big fame. They've had to deal with literally hundreds of sharks trying to get a slice of their pie, so the more expansive they make this album and tour, the more those 33%ers make. Not to mention the many many hangers-on, people who wanna give the band advice and can see a grander vision. You've gotta be pretty sick of that by 2012.
Shit, even at my age, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of dealing with people on a day-to-day basis. They're fools.
Can't blame the boys for making a quick buck, serving up a great album and (from what I've heard) a decent show, keeping it pretty simple and then making scram back to the wilderness. Not that it's what I want, but I don't have a say in this.

Besides... maybe Dave and the boys... things are frosty, ya know? Maybe that's all they can stand of each other.

Yount
10-14-2012, 07:57 PM
So Van Halen will never again dominate like it's the early 80's....

What I wanna know is.... where's the NEW Van Halen? Where's the new Dave?

I feel like a sad old fucker when I say Van Halen is still the greatest band I have seen or heard. But it's true... still!

ThatArtGuy
10-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Or you can look at it from another perspective. VH gets to give what the fans want and have deserved for so long and can throw a flying finger to everyone else that doesn't appreciate them. I'm more than content with what they did give this year, but I hope they give their all these coming years too. We're very fortunate to get what we did. They put the luster back into the VH logo, and have many new avenues open to them.

I just hope we get more.

WARF
10-14-2012, 11:11 PM
I hate to say this..... but thank god they hired Gary!

Halen High
10-15-2012, 06:17 AM
I feel your pain, it'll never be the same.
These guys are probably burnt by the whole experience. They've been musicians since the day dot, 40-odd years, let's say 30 years of big fame. They've had to deal with literally hundreds of sharks trying to get a slice of their pie, so the more expansive they make this album and tour, the more those 33%ers make. Not to mention the many many hangers-on, people who wanna give the band advice and can see a grander vision. You've gotta be pretty sick of that by 2012.
Shit, even at my age, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of dealing with people on a day-to-day basis. They're fools.
Can't blame the boys for making a quick buck, serving up a great album and (from what I've heard) a decent show, keeping it pretty simple and then making scram back to the wilderness. Not that it's what I want, but I don't have a say in this.

Besides... maybe Dave and the boys... things are frosty, ya know? Maybe that's all they can stand of each other.

I think Dave understands the sensitivities involved but I also believe they've all reached an understanding. Those videos of Eddie, Alex and Dave were brilliant to watch. They were very honest and natural in the way they talked about their history and it showed they are at peace with each other. Actually, I think we've been pretty spoiled with everything we've got this year. ADKOT is so good that it sits comfortably with the six pack, a shortened but highly successful tour, all the videos including the unforgettable Cafe Wha? stuff...

ZahZoo
10-15-2012, 11:34 AM

Maybe you should take a look from another angle. Rather than thinking they work as little as possible... it could very well be that they worked as much as they were capable. Granted when you quantify that as productive output it's pretty damn pathetic by most "regular" people's standards.

But allowing that the 2nd leg cancellation, followed by the Japanese cancellation really was that "they bit off more than they could chew"... align that with Roth's inconsistent performances and the "A/C issues" then shortly after they bailed... Ed ends up in ICU with blown ass gaskets... Seems to me the Mighty Van Halen's high mileage rig has only got enough drive for tootling around locally in the country side with the dogs in back seat these days... with frequent potty stops. Unfortunately I think this is as good as gets...

Vinnie Velvet
10-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Good lord.

Roth's songs are just not designed for any other singer other than himself.

sadaist
10-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Maybe you should take a look from another angle. Rather than thinking they work as little as possible... it could very well be that they worked as much as they were capable. Granted when you quantify that as productive output it's pretty damn pathetic by most "regular" people's standards.

But allowing that the 2nd leg cancellation, followed by the Japanese cancellation really was that "they bit off more than they could chew"... align that with Roth's inconsistent performances and the "A/C issues" then shortly after they bailed... Ed ends up in ICU with blown ass gaskets... Seems to me the Mighty Van Halen's high mileage rig has only got enough drive for tootling around locally in the country side with the dogs in back seat these days... with frequent potty stops. Unfortunately I think this is as good as gets...

That does make a lot of sense. but the way I felt when I bought that new album, heard those new tunes, saw the live clips from Madison Square garden.....I can't believe the whole nation isn't watching & feeling the same like we all did back in 1984 with this band.

DLR Bridge
10-17-2012, 12:40 PM
That does make a lot of sense. but the way I felt when I bought that new album, heard those new tunes, saw the live clips from Madison Square garden.....I can't believe the whole nation isn't watching & feeling the same like we all did back in 1984 with this band.

I agree with both you and Zah on this one. So much more could have been done, though, that doesn't involve roaming the globe. I know videos aren't really the shit anymore, but VH could have sparked more interest in the genre with kick ass creative ones. The "She's The Woman" video was a let down. Did they even bother to make one for "Stay Frosty"? That was a third single, no? Who even knew besides the handful of stations left? The promotion certainly has been weak. They also could bombard us with more music in the down time. They wouldn't have to lift a finger if they already recorded 30 or 40 tunes. Do we even know the particulars of the Interscope deal? Is it open ended as to allow VH to do whatever and whenever or is there a time table to an ADKOT follow up? I understand that they aren't quite the juggernaut that they once were, but they sure as hell have a lot of life and potential left.

Better use it up before it gets old.

78/84 guy
10-17-2012, 06:00 PM
What the hell. They are getting old man. You can't ask for them to act like they are 30 again. I thought the show I saw was fantastic. At least from the 20th row. I heard some people complan about Dave but what the fuck do they want ? He is pushing 60. I hope they release a live cd or dvd from this last outing and do one more strong album and tour. Then they can retire for all I care. Do a few shows here and there. Like Zeppelin has. Maybe a EP or something like that. I don't think VH in their mid 60s is a good idea. Would be cool to see Wolf put together a cool band.

sadaist
10-17-2012, 07:00 PM
What the hell. They are getting old man. You can't ask for them to act like they are 30 again. .

I don't want them to. but I would like to see them be more like Aerosmith & The Rolling Stones. Be out there telling people whats up rather than sneaking an album out when hardly anyone is looking.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Like Zeppelin has.

There's one more thing that Zeppelin did, and that's play some of their songs in a lower key so Plant could hit the notes....

ZahZoo
10-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Good lord.

Roth's songs are just not designed for any other singer other than himself.

Excellent point. Dave's unique timing signatures, melodic approach and even song structures are some of the most unique in rock history.

Add Ed's highly underrated, unconventional approach to rock rhythm guitar and attached at the hip with Al's timing signatures... During CVH... Mike's ability to find the perfectly aligned space within in Al's percussion work... then warp forward to the "Wolfgang Effect" on stretching the bass compositions to a whole new realm. It's all an amazing musical pallet.

What's always intrigued me as a musician is CVH compositions have a sort of 4/4, intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bridge, verse, chorus... standard rock structure in there... but then they shuffle things up, punch in odd timings and pepper in very creative fills at just the right places to make it very complex, yet simple, yet different... hard to describe without going too technical but it's what sets them apart from all the rest.

DLR Bridge
10-18-2012, 10:32 AM
What the hell. They are getting old man. You can't ask for them to act like they are 30 again. I thought the show I saw was fantastic. At least from the 20th row. I heard some people complan about Dave but what the fuck do they want ? He is pushing 60. I hope they release a live cd or dvd from this last outing and do one more strong album and tour. Then they can retire for all I care. Do a few shows here and there. Like Zeppelin has. Maybe a EP or something like that. I don't think VH in their mid 60s is a good idea. Would be cool to see Wolf put together a cool band.

My point is they are capable of doing so much more that they don't have to labor over. They can easily make more music that suits their age (talking the core 3 here), make TV appearances, web specials, etc. As musicians, the word "retire" should never enter their vocabulary. Tour less, hell, don't tour at all. As a band, the Beatles bagged touring in their mid to late 20's to pursue their art differently. One thing I hope Van Halen understands is that no one expects them to rock as hard as ADKOT on future projects. Both Ed and Dave have a taste for more laid back lounge and blues styles that they have rarely tapped together. I just want to see them create until the end. Their evolution is one for the ages. Switching up as time goes by rather than devolving into self parody like Kiss, Mötley Crüe, Poison and countless others is a route they can most definitely take and kick ass with.

78/84 guy
10-18-2012, 06:41 PM
There's one more thing that Zeppelin did, and that's play some of their songs in a lower key so Plant could hit the notes....

True. But so what. It was for one show. For a guy that signed them that passed away. I went to see it last night. The tuned down stuff was just fine. I only really took notice on The Song Remains The same. And it was played good so..... Shit he sounded better than I though. Review in the Zep. O2 dvd section in house of music.

78/84 guy
10-18-2012, 06:47 PM
My point is they are capable of doing so much more that they don't have to labor over. They can easily make more music that suits their age (talking the core 3 here), make TV appearances, web specials, etc. As musicians, the word "retire" should never enter their vocabulary. Tour less, hell, don't tour at all. As a band, the Beatles bagged touring in their mid to late 20's to pursue their art differently. One thing I hope Van Halen understands is that no one expects them to rock as hard as ADKOT on future projects. Both Ed and Dave have a taste for more laid back lounge and blues styles that they have rarely tapped together. I just want to see them create until the end. Their evolution is one for the ages. Switching up as time goes by rather than devolving into self parody like Kiss, Mötley Crüe, Poison and countless others is a route they can most definitely take and kick ass with.

I expect them to rock hard man ! It's Dave & Ed ! Not Van Hagar. VH was a 80's party band to me. That made it big. If they want to do it forever more power to them. The Stones and some older bands are more blues based and can get away with it at 65 I.M.O. Just like what Zeppelin is about to release from 07. It didn't look wierd to see Jimmy with his gray hair playing Kashmir. I did laugh once watching him on Rock & Roll. Kind of funny at his age !

Zing!
10-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Horrible. Guess Ed knew it too. Although to be fair, I can stomach Malloy's voice better than Cherone's (although I like a kick in the nards better than Cherone's voice). Must have been a thousand different DLR clones from a thousand different VH cover bands that sounded better than Malloy, and Cherone, but there ain't no changing the past. Thank the Gods of Rock and Roll that Ed finally saw the light and gave us ADKOT before it was too late...

atlantakat
10-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Hope folks click the link at the News Desk to get the full interview. Malloy himself tells Ed to bring back Dave and that Dave is the only guy for VH which pisses Ed off mightily. I agree with everyone that has panned the Panama demo but Malloy sounds like a good guy and had the balls to tell Ed the truth (which Ed did not want to hear)!

As for Dave's singing, he is iconic. No one can do Dave, except Dave. Same thing if someone covers a Steely Dan tune -- just try to sing a Donald Fagen song without sounding like Bill Murray doing the lounge singer on SNL, it just can't be done.

78/84 guy
10-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Hope folks click the link at the News Desk to get the full interview. Malloy himself tells Ed to bring back Dave and that Dave is the only guy for VH which pisses Ed off mightily. I agree with everyone that has panned the Panama demo but Malloy sounds like a good guy and had the balls to tell Ed the truth (which Ed did not want to hear)!

As for Dave's singing, he is iconic. No one can do Dave, except Dave. Same thing if someone covers a Steely Dan tune -- just try to sing a Donald Fagen song without sounding like Bill Murray doing the lounge singer on SNL, it just can't be done.

Glad I read it all. Good for him to tell Ed to get Dave back. Never heard of the guy before. Something tells me that fuckhead Daniels told Ed to forget Dave and hire Gary. And there went our 96 reunion tour. Even Sam hated the guy !

big fatty
10-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Robert Palmer. :thumb:

Loons The Great
10-28-2012, 08:57 AM
How about unearthing a live tune like, "It's Your Thing," or, "Hollywood Swingin'," from the club days instead of this garbage? There is only one voice and one voice only for Van Halen, an' that iz D-Ro!

The git-tar and drums do sound like thunder and lightnin'!

Like van hagar and van more than words, the music is ruined, tainted, and denigrated by the imposter singing.

chefcraig
10-28-2012, 10:10 AM
How about unearthing a live tune like, "It's Your Thing," or, "Hollywood Swingin'," from the club days instead of this garbage? There is only one voice and one voice only for Van Halen, an' that iz D-Ro!

The git-tar and drums do sound like thunder and lightnin'!

Better yet, simply re-post the following thread: Van Halen covers (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?54257-Van-Halen-covers&p=1331309&viewfull=1#top)