• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Advice?

OK...saga time...

I have a van (shut up) and we recently got back from a week long extended vacation in Vegas, and we drove there and back without incident. About a week after we got back, we started having transmission problems and within about two weeks afterwards, I needed to take the van into the shop for a new transmission. Not cheap, but necessary.

So, I took the vehicle down to our local repair shop and dropped $3319.00 on a new transmission, parts, labor, everything. It took them approximately two days to do it.

I got the vehicle back, and it had a problem of lurching whenever I came to a complete stop (slowing to 1st and then braking fully). Wouldn't let up after several days of driving, and it wasn't a problem I was having before, so after a week or so, I took it back to the shop, figuring it needed a minor adjustment.

Got the vehicle back, and things were fine, except the lurching problem was still there. Called them back, told them things were still wrong with coming to a complete stop, and they said "Well, bring it back, it's under warranty."

So, for the second time, I bring it back. This time it takes them about three or four days to fix it, and when I get it back, they wax poetic about all the new parts and improvements they've done. Whatever; I just want to be able to drive my vehicle and give it two-three weeks for the computer to adjust to the new transmission and be ready to NOT go back anytime soon.

So, within two hours, it's lurching heavily between all the gears, lurching when I come to a complete stop and half the time, when you turn the key, the engine won't roll over and start at all. I call them back, tell them there are still problems, and explain what's going on - they tell me to bring it back because it's under warranty, they're going to fix the starting problem because it's part of the overall failure; I think, "OK, fair enough."

I take it back, get it back within a few days, and things are OK, but it's still lurching when it comes to a complete stop. Getting to be a repeat pattern. So I think, well, let's give it some time, but at least the rest of this crap's mostly resolved. So we drive out to Eastern Oregon to go visit my sister last weekend, and when we're going through the mountains right before Sisters, the check engine light comes on, it won't accelerate up into overdrive and we basically have to limp it the rest of the way and back home. The check engine light eventually goes off, but it's got zero power getting over the hills. In addition, that Monday, the engine goes into it's "I'm not gonna start" bit and my girl & kid end up stranded for a half an hour before it finally rolls over.

I take it back last Tuesday, tell them it's getting kinda old. They reply by replacing the entire transmission (or so they tell me) and test driving it for two days (or so they tell me) to make sure "Everything's 100% and this is the LAST time" I'd have to go back.

I get it back Friday night (they were already closed by the time I get off work, and I walk in the rain out to get it from the parking lot). I manage to drive across the street before I realize that, yes, there are STILL serious problems. The engine won't start again, and when it finally does, it's lurching through all the gears, and I manage to drive about ten minutes before the check engine light comes on and it won't shift out of 3rd gear. I get it home and decide that I'll attempt to limp it around town for the weekend and deal with it on Tuesday.

So, throughout the weekend, the check engine light goes off and it actually starts shifting fairly well, but it lurches at a complete stop and it shifts extremely hard between 1st & 2nd. I call them back on Saturday to keep them posted of the situation. They apologize (again). Tell me to bring it back (again). But this time, they tell me that the reason it isn't starting all the time is because the ignition switch is fucked, and I'll have to pay more in order to get it fixed. And it's also gotten to the point where, if it does start, now it won't entirely turn off every time without me shifting through the gears to make sure it's fully in park.

So, taking this narrative down to it's basic point, WTF???

This is going to be the FIFTH TIME I've had to take the vehicle back to them in order to get it "fixed", and I'm getting pretty sick of it. The warranty aspect is nice, but it's also completely flippin' useless if I have to take the damn thing back to them week after week after week after week....and now, all of a sudden, I have to make MORE repairs for something that hasn't been a problem up til now?

Needless to say, I'm a little put off.

Anybody have any idea about what kind of recourse I may have here? I spent, in good faith, $3300.00 expecting a good, clean, comprehensive, one time repair and while I fully expect that the onboard computer is going to need SOME time to adjust to a new transmission, all of these problems are FAR above and beyond what I ever would have reasonably anticipated. I'm getting to the point where I'm convinced that they're just utterly incapable of doing the work correctly and now I'm suspicious that they're actually CREATING new problems in an effort to keep me spending money there.

I'm at the point where I'd pretty much like to take the vehicle to another shop and get the work done elsewhere, but I'm not exactly made of money and can't really afford to just say "Eh, scratch this" and take another $3300 out of my finances.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by bueno bob; 10-22-2012, 05:06 PM.
    Twistin' by the pool.
  • VAiN
    Use my hand, I won't look
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

It sounds like they put the wrong torque converter in there... do you have an itemized parts list of what went in there? Did they spec factory parts? You may want to do a little research and double check that it's all good. I'd be at my wits end if I were you. 3k is a shit ton to drop in one shot and not have things done correctly. I don't think the computer would take long to reset.. typically disconnecting the battery for a bit then letting it run for 20 min will reset things.
    Last edited by VAiN; 10-22-2012, 05:10 PM.
    Originally posted by wiseguy
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2007

year, make and model?
      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• VAiN
        Use my hand, I won't look
        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
        year, make and model?
        Yeah, that too...
        Originally posted by wiseguy
        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

1998 Town & Country Chrysler
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bueno bob
            1998 Town & Country Chrysler
            oof v6?
            Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Little Texan
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I would just bite the bullet and find another repair shop, because it sounds like you're either dealing with a bunch of crooks or complete idiots that don't know what the fuck they're doing. If you've taken it there 5 times already and they still haven't fixed the problem, chances are they are never going to fix it and they are going to keep taking more of your money until your bank account is empty. If you keep going back to that same shop, you'll be living in that van down by the river before too much longer.
              Last edited by Little Texan; 10-22-2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Damn, Bob, that's a lot of bank to drop. Is it worth taking it to another shop to get an opinion on the fault, and then going back to the old shop with the new information?
                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Little Texan
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

The shop you took it to wouldn't happen to be a Ben Dover Car Care center, would it?

All kidding aside, for the kind of dough you spent on that van at that shop it should be running better than a new one.
                  Last edited by Little Texan; 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

If the check engine light is coming on I'd first run the van by Auto Zone or a similar parts place and have them scan it and see what code is kickin out. Most places will actually print it for you. Then you'll have at least an idea of what the van thinks is wrong with itself.
                    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• bueno bob
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Well, I've been fairly laid back about the whole thing up til now, I'm just kinda getting tired of walking everywhere...especially in the rain...

Honestly, I've gotten to the point where I'm considering tell them to take their parts back and just refund my money, labor and all, and just having it towed to another shop and getting the work done there. Not sure about how receptive they'd be to that, but of course that's what court's all about. Not even sure what sort of legal recourse there'd be, but I think I have a fairly reasonable expectation of quality repair work in under five visits, right?
                      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                        oof v6?
                        It's actually been extremely reliable up til this point. As I said, we drove it to Vegas and back (about a 2000 mile trip, little better than) and didn't have any issues at all, and we bought it a year ago for $3000. Until now, we haven't had any real vehicle issues to deal with per se, other than things that would add up to routine (oil change, transmission service, etc). Even now, I can't honestly complain because the issue seems to be more with the shop than the vehicle.

And, for what it's worth, it's Meineke. I've actually been a long term customer of theirs for pretty much everything over the last five years and have had only one other complaint in that time, but maybe this was just out of their league.
                        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2007

si, out of league it sounds like.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                            Full Member Status

• May 2010

They probably topped off your trans with 88 cents worth of trans fliud and charged you three grand.

But... they put too much in and blew the seals then they really fucked up by trying to adjust it with the computer or tightened the transmission belts to tight.

I would find someone else and demand my money back bring a witness and see what they say about money back.

I have bad concerns about the "Modern " auto mechanics abilities.

It isn't worth thier money to fix a part they just replace components large groups of parts and charge large money for 25 min work.

And I am also not a trustworthy type of guy due to my experience.

I would go the money back route and seek anothers help. If you have recipts it still may end up in court.

My favorite Dead Kennedys line ...see if I can remember...-Trust your mechanic to fix your car he tightens and loosens a few spare parts, one things fixed another falls apart...lol
                            2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                            clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• Little Texan
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                              It's actually been extremely reliable up til this point. As I said, we drove it to Vegas and back (about a 2000 mile trip, little better than) and didn't have any issues at all, and we bought it a year ago for $3000. Until now, we haven't had any real vehicle issues to deal with per se, other than things that would add up to routine (oil change, transmission service, etc). Even now, I can't honestly complain because the issue seems to be more with the shop than the vehicle.

And, for what it's worth, it's Meineke. I've actually been a long term customer of theirs for pretty much everything over the last five years and have had only one other complaint in that time, but maybe this was just out of their league.
                              Do you have an AAMCO Transmissions near where you live? I might give them a try if I were you. They specialize in transmissions, so chances are they would come closer to fixing the problem than Meineke.

Comment

Working...