PDA

View Full Version : Rush - Atlanta Ga Review - Spoiler Alert - Don't Read If You Don't Wanna Know....

Hardrock69
11-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Meh......11th time I have seen them. This set list was lame.

The ONLY song they played that was recorded prior to 1980 was 2112 Overture as one of the encores.

They played 9 songs from the new album, and a lot of deep cuts from albums released since Permanent Waves.

What the fuck is wrong with dragging out some deep cuts from the first 5 albums?

They performed flawlessly as they usually do, but most of what they played was material I really did not care too much about.

Thus endeth the review.

Setlist:

Set 1:

Video Intro (Gearing Up)
Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force 10
Grand Designs
Limelight
Territories
Analog Kid
The Pass
Where's My Thing (with drum solo)
Far Cry

Intermission (Clockwork Angels String Ensemble enters)

Set 2:

Video Intro (The Appointment)
Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight (with drum solo)
Halo Effect (with guitar solo intro)
Wish Them Well
The Garden
Dreamline
The Percussor (drum solo)
Red Sector A
YYZ
(Clockwork Angels String Ensemble exits)
The Spirit of Radio

Encore:

Tom Sawyer
2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx/Grand Finale
Video Outro (Office Of The Watchmaker)

* first played 11/1/2012 in Atlanta, GA

So this is love
11-02-2012, 08:01 PM
I thought the setlist was lame as well when I saw them a couple of weeks ago...maybe I'm not as much a fan of Rush after all...

Va Beach VH Fan
11-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Wow... 9 new songs ??

ashstralia
11-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Hmm... If they ever get here I'd like to see a 'somewhere back in time' style retrospective; not that.

Guess I'll never see rush.

Hardrock69
11-03-2012, 03:52 AM
I don't mind them playing 9 new tunes.....IF they play something rad like Bastille Day......I wanna hear the METAL Rush, lol.
But I don't care about a lot of the "hits" from the 80s.....hell, I don't really care for anything from Moving Pictures to Roll The Bones.....

So for the first time....I had a disappointment at a Rush show......

Note...everything else was perfect. Production was ok (wish Alex had been a bit higher in the mix), but the band performed flawlessly, and despite my grumblings, I was glad to see them once again. Sort of like re-visiting old friends, lol.

Next up......in one month....The Who - Quadrophenia & More.....I am going to thoroughly enjoy that......

ashstralia
11-03-2012, 05:39 AM
Next up......in one month....The Who - ...

You mean 'the two'.

That's the thing which shits me... Some of these bands have living original members, dammit.

Seshmeister
11-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Hmm... If they ever get here I'd like to see a 'somewhere back in time' style retrospective; not that.

Guess I'll never see rush.

I think Peart doesn't fly which makes Australia awkward.

Seeing them next year assuming we all live that long, they have already had my ticket money for about 6 months.

I guess I better start putting some time into listening to the new album.

ashstralia
11-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Yeah well apparently Travis Barker's the expert there!

ELVIS
11-03-2012, 09:10 AM
I'll pass...

Green Manalishi
11-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I saw RUSH back on September 22nd. Dare I say , the EXACT same set list .Your review mirrored my own opinion of the show - dead on !
RUSH is RUSH . I love the band . Individually and collectively - their playing is magnificent . The sound quality at the show I went to was good and loud . The overall production , string ensemble and all , was top-notch . However , and this is a big HOWEVER - the set list leaves A LOT to be desired . Analog Kid , at least 2 excellent Neil Peart drum solos , a couple of instrumentals , YYZ , Tom Sawyer , Spirit Of Radio , and the 2112 medley was all that was acceptable by my RUSH - standards .
This was my 13th. go-round with RUSH since back in the good ol' daze . I gotta admit - at least half of these shows I walked away from seriously dissapointed in the set-list but at the same time shaking my in amazement over their brilliant musicianship . Regardless of what they do or don't play , these guys can seriously throw down like no one else .

Hardrock69
11-05-2012, 03:43 AM
I agree 100%.

I am still glad I got to see them again.

And yes....The Two.....hey, I have never seen Pete Townsend play live. I will never get this chance again. Was an absolute, no-question MUST DO.

BUT.....the two others in the band, Zak Starkey and Pino Palladino are a couple of legendary badasses....so if only for the musicians playing on this tour, I would still be happy to see them play. And, even though I am not THAT interested in seeing Quadrophenia performed in it's entirety (lot of other material I would rather hear), I am not going to complain. No. Not at all.

Sure, I may have a negative review of anything that sucks at the show, but I will at least say I saw the tour.

I have been blessed enough this year by the Gods that I have seen every single important band I wanted to see in concert. VH, Maiden, Slayer, Anthrax, Motorhead, Rush, the Who.......these were all shows I wanted to see, but was not sure I would be able to afford to see them.

Glad I have some killer friends in my life. A man without friends is a poor man indeed......

ashstralia
11-05-2012, 03:48 AM
Awesome Hr.

WACF
11-06-2012, 10:15 AM
I saw RUSH back on September 22nd. Dare I say , the EXACT same set list .Your review mirrored my own opinion of the show - dead on !
RUSH is RUSH . I love the band . Individually and collectively - their playing is magnificent . The sound quality at the show I went to was good and loud . The overall production , string ensemble and all , was top-notch . However , and this is a big HOWEVER - the set list leaves A LOT to be desired . Analog Kid , at least 2 excellent Neil Peart drum solos , a couple of instrumentals , YYZ , Tom Sawyer , Spirit Of Radio , and the 2112 medley was all that was acceptable by my RUSH - standards .
This was my 13th. go-round with RUSH since back in the good ol' daze . I gotta admit - at least half of these shows I walked away from seriously dissapointed in the set-list but at the same time shaking my in amazement over their brilliant musicianship . Regardless of what they do or don't play , these guys can seriously throw down like no one else .

Agree completely!

Not my favorite set list but regardless I walked away amazed.

I do have to say...the amount of new material was mixed for me.

I would have loved some older Rush...but the new stuff is good...gave me a new appreciation for the cd.
I look at "The Garden" with more appreciation...I used to skip by that one...not now.

My daughter wanted to go...suggested that would be a killer Birthday gift...19 and she walked away stunned.
We saw VH and BLS this year...Rush was her favorite.

Green Manalishi
11-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Agree completely!

Not my favorite set list but regardless I walked away amazed.

I do have to say...the amount of new material was mixed for me.

I would have loved some older Rush...but the new stuff is good...gave me a new appreciation for the cd.
I look at "The Garden" with more appreciation...I used to skip by that one...not now.

My daughter wanted to go...suggested that would be a killer Birthday gift...19 and she walked away stunned.
We saw VH and BLS this year...Rush was her favorite.[/QUOTE]

Cool stuff ! Oddly enough , I took my 21 year old niece to this show with 3 other friends who are all hovering around 50 much like myself . Needless to say , she loved it ! This was her second go-round with RUSH . The first time was about 4 or 5 years ago . They had a far superior set list at that time and she was digging it as much as anyone . We agreed to go see them again if and when they ever tour again .

ODShowtime
11-06-2012, 09:15 PM
ugh God saw 'em in Tampa on Saturday. That setlist is a mess. I wish we got Dreamline. Subdivisions, Analog Kid, YYZ and the encores. That's it. I don't even like Spirit of Radio that much. And of course the best song was last so I had one foot out the door for 2112. Oh well.

Hardrock69
11-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Friend of mine was trying to tell me that Rush has not played pre-1980 stuff in years because Geddy can't sing that high anymore.

I laughed at him and said there was no way his voice could crap out on an instrumental like La Villa Strangiato....and a lot of their stuff from the 70s had vocals that were not that difficult.

We just got a lame setlist, that's all. But I forgive them, as they are doing exactly what they want to do.

Seshmeister
11-07-2012, 11:20 PM
To be fair it looks like it starts and ends well enough.

Geddy obviously struggles a bit now with the silly high stuff and this is always a problem with 2112 in the same way Roth can't do the splits off the drum riser, you have to adjust to the fact we're all old now.

Last time around I got a bit bored halfway through too during the B side of Moving Pictures and so on.

I still have to support them for keeping going, releasing albums and even coming all the way to my hometown still after all these years and playing to just 10 000.

Actually I suspect that is something to do with Neil Peart loving biking around Scotland but still bottom line is that no one forces you to buy a ticket and I wish bands like Van Halen would give me the option.

Hardrock69
11-08-2012, 12:55 AM
I agree mate. 100%

ODShowtime
11-08-2012, 06:28 AM
To be fair it looks like it starts and ends well enough.

Last time around I got a bit bored halfway through too during the B side of Moving Pictures and so on.

Let's be clear. They are one of the best rock bands in human history. Virtuosos all. But wait until 2-3 songs into the 2nd set. You'll be begging for Camera Eye and Witch Hunt. It was terrible. I don't even remember anything from the beginning and middle of the second set. Of course I ate 2 big pot brownies so that may have helped.

Mr Badguy
11-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Looks like I'm on my own here, but I like the look of this.

Okay, so we're never gonna get a full "Hemispheres" or "Cygnus X-1", but the truth of the matter is Ged can't sing that stuff anymore.

I see another Live CD/DVD package after the tour and it's different from the others enough to be worth buying.

I have a feeling that they shake the sets up so much to keep things interesting for themselves.

Nobody's forcing anyone to part with their cash for anything, but don't forget in ten years they'll be retired so enjoy them while you can.

Hardrock69
11-10-2012, 08:54 PM
No argument there.

Mr Badguy
11-11-2012, 03:15 AM
Where's "Manhattan Project"?

I heard they were playing that this tour.

ThrillsNSpills
11-11-2012, 08:46 AM
just imagine crowd noises while you watch those.

ODShowtime
11-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Nobody's forcing anyone to part with their cash for anything, but don't forget in ten years they'll be retired so enjoy them while you can.

You can say that now but wait until you're sitting there watching it. And I bought the tickets months before the shows started and the setlist was revealed. I totally understand why they did and they can do whatever the fuck they want but I don't have to like it. It was boring. I don't remember hardly any of it. I was on lots of drugs but that's not the point.

Seshmeister
11-13-2012, 11:52 PM
It was boring. I don't remember hardly any of it. I was on lots of drugs but that's not the point.

That kind of weakened the review somewhat but 10/10 for honesty.. :)

Nitro Express
11-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Rush has my full respect but I will never see them live again. I saw that band in their hey day and they just can't pull it off anymore. They have gotten a bit goofy in their old age. They are rock and roll legends the same.

78/84 guy
11-14-2012, 12:04 AM
They have gotten full of themselves with their setlists the last 20 years. They think they are proving something by playing five 8 min. songs off their new albums. And I love their last 4 albums. Not cool to the average fans ! It greed if you ask me. It's look what we can do and you will come see us next time. I love them. My first concert. They are amazing players no question about it. But............ Sometimes I think these older bands should just release a few songs every couple years and play alll the old hits live.

Seshmeister
11-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah to be honest I would prefer if the shows were a bit shorter.

WACF
11-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Where's "Manhattan Project"?

I heard they were playing that this tour.

Saskatoon's set list

Set One
Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force Ten
Grand Designs
The Body Electric
Territories
The Analog Kid
Bravado
Where's My Thing?
Far Cry