X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

Question about a fret job.

I'm needing new frets for my Tele and after reading about Eddie using stainless frets I was wondering if anyone here is using them.........what are the pros and cons to stainless........does it adversely affect the neck in any way and what the average cost is to do it.

Thanks in advance...........

It pains me to have to stoop so low and ask guitarists these questions
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by kwame k

Imagine the pain and suffering felt by guitarists having to respond to a drummer's questions.

To me, on an electric it really doesn't matter if you choose nickel or stainless, particularly on such a tensile-strength sounding thing as a Telecaster. (Trust me, I've been playing one for the past few years, and it is one thin-sounding axe, without any of the fluidity of a Strat nor the full bodied sound of any of my old Les Pauls). Re-fretting for tone really only matters on an acoustic, at least to my ears. The only thing you have to consider is virtual string-wear, which isn't truly an issue unless you are too broke to buy new strings every so often.

Rather than refretting, have you considered the simplicity of merely swapping out a new neck?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Not much experience with stainless frets other than dicking around on EVH Wolfgangs at NAMM the past couple of years. Liked the way they felt, and I'm told they're a little brighter-sounding that nickel frets. I hear they're harder (and therefore more expen$ive) to work on, but once they're done it takes forever to wear them down. IIRC in one of the EVH gear videos posted around here Matt Bruck mentions the frets on the '07-08 tour instruments made through the entire tour w/o really showing any wear.

And to Craig's point, - no, not the one about this being painful to answer, the other one a new bolt-on neck (even one you order completely to spec) will cost the same if not less than a total re-fret. I'll have to re-do my #1 Charvel neck one day in the not-too-distant future here, but the only reason I'm even considering it is because well - it's a vintage Charvel Strat neck, FFS.
      Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I'm needing new frets for my Tele and after reading about Eddie using stainless frets I was wondering if anyone here is using them.........what are the pros and cons to stainless........does it adversely affect the neck in any way and what the average cost is to do it.

Thanks in advance...........

I have a Warmoth Strat neck with them on it. They feel less grabby. I do a lot of bends and press down pretty hard. I think they sound maybe just a tad brighter. I don't mind them. I have no complaints.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
          Imagine the pain and suffering felt by guitarists having to respond to a drummer's questions.

To me, on an electric it really doesn't matter if you choose nickel or stainless, particularly on such a tensile-strength sounding thing as a Telecaster. (Trust me, I've been playing one for the past few years, and it is one thin-sounding axe, without any of the fluidity of a Strat nor the full bodied sound of any of my old Les Pauls). Re-fretting for tone really only matters on an acoustic, at least to my ears. The only thing you have to consider is virtual string-wear, which isn't truly an issue unless you are too broke to buy new strings every so often.

Rather than refretting, have you considered the simplicity of merely swapping out a new neck?
          if you like Telecasters and want a fatter sounding one without losing that classic Tele vibe. You have to try playing a GE Smith signature Telecaster. The bridge pickup is screwed directly into the wood and I think it may be overwound a tad. Man. It's pretty versatile and has that nice Telecaster raunchy sound that's so sexy.

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Thanks fellas........the common theme in everyone's posts is. Brighter sound and that's the last thing I need on my Tele!

Never considered a new neck.......I like that idea and if the price is comparable seems like the best option!
            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• kwame k
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by chefcraig

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Thanks fellas........the common theme in everyone's posts is. Brighter sound and that's the last thing I need on my Tele!

Never considered a new neck.......I like that idea and if the price is comparable seems like the best option!
                That's what I did for my Strat. The frets were shot so I just had Warmoth make me a new neck because I didn't have time to mess with refretting it. I read Ed was using stainless steel frets and liked them so I had them put some on. They can make a neck to any dimensions you want and put any kind of fret wire you want on it. They did a good job.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Nice used Tele necks are all over ebay...

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Click!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I doubt any of them have stainless steel frets.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

I'd put this neck on it...

Click!

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

No need for Stainless frets...

Comment

• kwame k
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Feb 2008

Thanks E.........the thing is, I love the neck on this Tele......no idea why but it's the right fit and I've played other Tele's that weren't as nice.

It's the 50th anniversary model.....I guess I could look up the specs and get a neck exactly like that!

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              That's what I did for my Strat. The frets were shot so I just had Warmoth make me a new neck because I didn't have time to mess with refretting it. I read Ed was using stainless steel frets and liked them so I had them put some on. They can make a neck to any dimensions you want and put any kind of fret wire you want on it. They did a good job.
                              Nice, Nitro......the Tele is already bright and after the consensus of everyone saying they make it brighter........think I'll stick to Nickel!

Comment

Working...