PDA

View Full Version : Newly Re-Edited Woodstock Hendrix Performance To Have Theatrical Release Worldwide...

Hardrock69
11-14-2012, 01:48 AM
http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/news/hendrix-70-live-woodstock

Go to the link above to find out if this is playing near you. The trailer is combined with a widget/search engine which will allow you to find the nearest theater where it is showing.

Legendary 1969 Woodstock Performance For Global Theatrical Release From November 26 2012

(London, November 4, 2012) – In Celebration of the 70th Anniversary of Jimi Hendrix's Birth, for the first time ever see Jimi Hendrix's unforgettable August 1969 Woodstock concert in select cinemas globally.

This special edition theatrical presentation, under the auspices of Experience Hendrix, L.L.C. has been carefully reassembled from the extensive archive of film footage helmed by Academy Award winning director Michael Wadleigh and his hand picked team of skilled camera operators and support personnel under the auspices of Experience Hendrix, LLC, the Hendrix family owned company. What they captured was a Jimi Hendrix performance unlike any other. Jimi premiered a new band and his extraordinary performance on that August morning included unforgettable renditions of such signature Hendrix songs as "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)," "Fire," "Purple Haze" and "Foxy Lady" as well as his dramatic interpretation of the "Star Spangled Banner".

Jimi's fascinating road to the Woodstock festival is revealed by way of never before seen footage and interviews with his band members such as Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell, engineer Eddie Kramer and Woodstock's promoter Michael Lang. Directed by Grammy Award winner Bob Smeaton , the documentary, which precedes the performance footage, reveals the struggle to stage the legendary festival and secure Hendrix as its headline artist.

Jimi Hendrix Woodstock performance stands as one of the finest ever in rock music history. This presentation features the original 16mm footage digitally restored together with a new 5.1 audio surround mix by legendary engineer Eddie Kramer. Kramer originally recorded the Woodstock festival and also served Jimi Hendrix as his recording engineer throughout his entire career.

Songs performed in original sequence

Message To Love
Spanish Castle Magic
Red House
Lover Man
Foxy Lady
Jam Back At The House
Izabella
Fire
Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
Star Spangled Banner
Purple Haze
Woodstock Improvisation
Villanova Junction
Hey Joe

Hendrix 70: Live from Woodstock will see a worldwide theatrical release by Omniverse Vision with limited screenings from November 26. Tickets for the theatrical screenings will be available at jimihendrix.com.

Janie Hendrix, Jimi's sister and CEO of Experience Hendrix: "All of us at Experience Hendrix are thrilled with the fact that 'Live At Woodstock' will be shown in theaters. This film reflects a legendary event in our history as well as a true pinnacle of Jimi's career. We celebrate his 70th birthday as we continue to celebrate his legacy".

While this is cool, there are some glaring problems.

1. JANIE HENDRIX IS [B]NOT Jimi Hendrix's "sister".

Jimi never had any fucking sisters!!!! He had two brothers and that was all!

2. Though the songs listed may be in the correct order, the set is far from "complete".

The songs missing are:

Hear My Train A'Comin
Mastermind
Gypsy Woman/Aware Of Love
Stepping Stone

3. For some fucking reason they are NOT showing the film in Nashville or New York! I did a search for theaters, and the nearest places this film is showing to Nashville is Huntsville, AL and Louisville, KY.

I mean, come ON! Billy Cox LIVES HERE IN FUCKING NASHVILLE!!!

And I saw a post by someone else who was saying he was searching for a theater in NY to see it, but none were listed.

4. Experience Hendrix LLC is advertising this by claiming "for the first time ever see Jimi Hendrix's unforgettable August 1969 Woodstock concert in select cinemas globally."

BULLSHIT! :mad:

THE FIRST FUCKING TIME THIS WAS SHOWN ON THEATER SCREENS WAS WHEN THE GODDAMN WOODSTOCK MOVIE WAS RELEASED THEATRICALLY 42 FUCKING YEARS AGO IN 1970!!!!

But what else can one expect from Janie Hendrix? She will lie out her fucking ass to help her make a fucking dollar!!! I don't know why this is, but Experience Hendrix, LLC always are very efficient at FUCKING THINGS UP!

I WISH JANIE HENDRIX WOULD GO DIE IN A FIRE! SHE ONLY "CELEBRATES" JIMI'S LEGACY IF IT HELPS HER BANK ACCOUNT!

MONEY IS THE ONLY FUCKING REASON SHE GIVES A DAMN ABOUT JIMI AT ALL!!! :mad:

FUCKING CUNT!!!!

End rant here.

Satan
11-14-2012, 03:05 AM
You mean that "Hendrix at Woodstock" DVD that was released back in the 90's was NOT the complete performance? Because I'm sure that's how they promoted it at the time.... and it was one of Janie's cash-ins too.

Hardrock69
11-14-2012, 04:46 AM
The most recent Hendrix at Woodstock DVD only came out 2 years ago.....it had the complete performance, but not from the film crew. It had a second DVD called "A Second Look".

Some guy from a local community college borrowed a primitive Sony video camera and brought it to the festival. He can be seen on the opposite end of the stage from Jimi. He got the entire performance.

Here is where I posted about it originally:

www.rotharmy.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-27994.html

The missing songs are missing from this release because the idiot camera crew did not bother to think of staggering the times that they began shooting. The camera magazines only held 18 minutes of film. They all started at once, and after 18 minutes, they all ran out of film at the same time and had to change mags.

A couple of years back when the technology to convert films to 3D came out, they were talking about doing that with Jimi's performance.

However, I have not been REALLY impressed by any 2D-3D conversions I have seen....not even the first Star Wars film I saw in February.

By the way, Empire Strikes Back should be out this February.

ELVIS
11-14-2012, 07:37 AM
You're arguing about nothing...

I'd love to take my wife to see this...

I might hop on a plane to do so...

Now, is New Orleans listed ??

ELVIS
11-14-2012, 07:39 AM
No fucking New Orleans ??

ELVIS
11-14-2012, 07:45 AM
That cinema locater fucking sucks...

Now that you should blame on Janie...

ELVIS
11-14-2012, 07:48 AM
BTW, why haven't they done this with Monterey ??

Or have they and I don't know about it ??

In my opinion, Woodstock is fun to see but it's not nearly the performance it's hyped up to be...

It has it's moments, but overall it's sloppy and it's not the Experience...

Monterey is the shit...

:elvis:

jhale667
11-14-2012, 11:23 AM

In my opinion, Woodstock is fun to see but it's not nearly the performance it's hyped up to be...

Monterey is the shit...

The Woodstock rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" is EPIC, but the rest of the set is a little disjointed, probably owing to the fact that Jimi did indeed eat the brown acid that day... (or the day before) no one was sure he'd be able to perform AT ALL at one point during the festival according to the Hendrix bio "'Scuze me while I kiss the sky"...

vaijuju
11-14-2012, 11:30 AM
I love tne rage version of Purple haze !

Nitro Express
11-14-2012, 03:22 PM
The Woodstock rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" is EPIC, but the rest of the set is a little disjointed, probably owing to the fact that Jimi did indeed eat the brown acid that day... (or the day before) no one was sure he'd be able to perform AT ALL at one point during the festival according to the Hendrix bio "'Scuze me while I kiss the sky"...

One account was Jimi was in the medical tent at Woodstock. Probably had someone from the Hog Farm going "Hey man! What's Your Name?".

Terry
11-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Apparently, there's some serious contention over if Janie is even Hendrix's half-sister, since the consensus within the family was that while Janie's mother was married to Hendrix's biological father, it's doubtful that Hendrix's biological father was Janie's biological father.

I suppose a case can be made that Janie is picking at and making a few dollars off of Jimi's corpse, but the scavengers and vultures were doing the same thing shortly after Jimi died (I mean, I don't necessarily think Alan Douglas was 100% altruistic with those mid-70's Hendrix vault releases, either). However, I will also say that the Experience Hendrix company under Janie's name has made a real effort to get as much of the vaulted Hendrix material out there as possible, which isn't a bad thing if one is a fan.

Like Satan said, though, this isn't exactly the first Hendrix at Woodstock release...I'm not sure I'm a Hendrix fan to the point where I need to get every bit of footage of him at Woodstock that is available so I can have all the camera angles in my home video collection...although doubtless there are some hardcore fans who would want to.

The least Experience Hendrix could do would be to throw Leon a few bucks now and then, regardless of the outcome of his case against the estate.

ELVIS
11-14-2012, 10:40 PM
They were doing it much worse back in the 70's and even when he was alive...

I don't know much about Janie, but I think they do a pretty respectable job of marketing Hendrix and providing the music that is dear to so many of us...

I bought the new Axis on Vinyl at Peaches in the French Quarter for $30 Sunday night, after the Saints kicked the shit out of Atlanta (we were there) on our one year anniversary...

:biggrin:

ELVIS
11-14-2012, 10:43 PM

ELVIS
11-14-2012, 10:46 PM

Nitro Express
11-14-2012, 10:55 PM
"Woodstock was not that great. It was just big." -Grace Slick-

Hardrock69
11-15-2012, 06:23 PM

Monterey is the shit...

Actually they have. They did not release it theatrically, but the remastered DVD is amazing....some of the songs you can choose multiple camera angles and stuff.

Hardrock69
11-15-2012, 06:25 PM
And the deal is, Janie was born to her mother and another man before her mom ever met Al Hendrix.

And yes, Leon should have a share....Jimi loved his brother.

78/84 guy
11-15-2012, 08:33 PM
And the deal is, Janie was born to her mother and another man before her mom ever met Al Hendrix.

And yes, Leon should have a share....Jimi loved his brother.

I guess Al loved her. But for him, before he died or her not to include Leon in on the profits is sick as fuck ! I agree with Elvis. They fucked with his shit more in the 70's. I think they have done some good things. At least Kramer is inolved in the remixing. And the finally put together his last album the way Jimi intended it to be. First Rays. They split it up into 3 albums after he died to make more money. Jimi played great at Woodstock. But the band was a little to much for me.

FORD
11-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Meanwhile in other Janie cashing in to make a buck news.......

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/story/jimi-hendrixs-experimental-turn-on-people-hell-and-angels-art-premiere-20121120/1000x306/20121119-jimmy-hendrix-x306-1353349496.jpg

Twelve previously unreleased recordings available on March 5th

On March 5th, a collection of 12 previously unreleased recordings by Jimi Hendrix will see the light. People, Hell and Angels follows Hendrix in 1968 and 1969 as he works on material apart from the Jimi Hendrix Experience and suggests new, experimental directions.

The legendary guitarist was considering these new sounds for First Rays of the New Rising Sun, the planned double-album follow-up to Electric Ladyland. Hendrix toys with horns, keyboards, percussion and a second guitar, exploring fresh diversions from his legendary guitarwork. The album artwork is simple, yet as distinct as Hendrix's signature guitar wails. Be experienced yet again.

FORD
11-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Horns, keyboards, and percussion? Sounds like he was trying to make a "Chicago" album. Guess that's not so out of the question, since Jimi reportedly thought Terry Kath was a better guitarist than he was.

78/84 guy
11-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Horns, keyboards, and percussion? Sounds like he was trying to make a "Chicago" album. Guess that's not so out of the question, since Jimi reportedly thought Terry Kath was a better guitarist than he was.

Interesting to say the least. You wonder where the find this stuff. Alot of his old tapes at least surfaced on bootlegs. If all the horns and shit were not added 10 years after he died I'm in. The guy was a true musician. Always in the studio his last years. Terry was a cool player.

Terry
11-25-2012, 11:35 AM
They were doing it much worse back in the 70's and even when he was alive...

I don't know much about Janie, but I think they do a pretty respectable job of marketing Hendrix and providing the music that is dear to so many of us...

I bought the new Axis on Vinyl at Peaches in the French Quarter for $30 Sunday night, after the Saints kicked the shit out of Atlanta (we were there) on our one year anniversary...

I thought the First Rays Of The New Rising Sun compilation of, what, 15-odd years ago was a pretty tasteful attempt to compile the best of the post-1970 releases...War Heroes, Hendrix in the West, Crash Landing, Midnight Lightning, and so on...and First Rays was one of the initial releases Experience Hendrix put out there...

I mean, if one is a Hendrix fan and wants to see as much made available, well, whoever is gonna be making the profits off of it these days is likely gonna be SOMEONE who wasn't really associated with Hendrix...artists tend to get the shaft financially when they're alive (or at least the short end of the stick), so it's no shock that their families tend to get small change far as royalties when the artist dies. A lot of bad deals have been signed off on by artists over the years...look at what Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell ended up getting for their troubles after Hendrix died: one of them got $100k and the other got $300k, and these were the fucking guys who helped write the songs, played on the records and performed with Hendrix!!

ELVIS
11-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Actually they have. They did not release it theatrically, but the remastered DVD is amazing....some of the songs you can choose multiple camera angles and stuff.

Your brain is fucking fried dude...

VAiN
11-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Sweet! It's being shown right down the street from me on Dec 5... I'm gonna try and make it.

Hardrock69
11-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Your brain is fucking fried dude...

You obviously are missing a vital part of your cranial cavity.

A brain.

You sure you were not a Scarecrow in a previous movie?

http://www.amazon.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Live-at-Monterey/dp/B000VI6T6U

Editorial Reviews
This special edition DVD features all of the existing film footage from Jimi's incendiary June 18,1967 concert newly transferred to high-definition specs from the original 16mm camera reversal original. Re-edited and presented in its original performance sequence, this DVD showcase of a legendary performance is completely unreleased.

DVD bonus features include:
*The brand new documentary, "American Landing," which traces Jimi's remarkable transformation from obscurity to his triumphant U.S. `debut' at the Monterey Festival.
*"A Second Look," a unique feature that allows viewers to switch between multiple, previously unseen camera angles to view several of Jimi's celebrated performances like never before.
*"Music, Love & Flowers: The Monterey International Pop Festival", a behind the scenes glimpse of the festival's origins, operations, and lasting impact, brought to you by legendary composer, producer and Monterey Festival co-founder Lou Adler.

As an extra special bonus, watch the earliest known film and sound recordings of The Jimi Hendrix Experience in concert from February 25, 1967 before a packed audience in Chelmsford, England. Songs featured are "Stone Free" and "Like A Rolling Stone."

ELVIS
11-27-2012, 08:54 AM
The brain is not part of the cranial cavity...

The brain occupies the space created by the cranial cavity, in most people...

Not you...

ODShowtime
11-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Yinz need to get up on the 8LP Winterland box set. Got that bitch for $43 from Amazon. 8 lps and a CD! And it's incendiary. All the best cuts from the old tape I earned selling magazines in junior high plus hours and hours of other great stuff. I just wish they would have included a copy of the concert poster in the beautiful book that came with it. That poster owns...