ThrillsNSpills
11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Yep it's a good one.

Nitro Express
11-19-2012, 03:44 PM
One of my favorite albums.

Kristy
11-19-2012, 03:45 PM
What an insightful post, Thrills. So what's next on the agenda? The best of Phil Collins 2005?

Nitro Express
11-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Bold As Love is a true gem of rock and roll magic. Are You Experienced? gets most the attention but the album is a masterpiece. The buttery "Castles Made of Sand" and the jazzy "If 6 were 9". Some great stuff. Phil Collins isn't even in this category.

ThrillsNSpills
11-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Always a pleasure Kristy.
Your smile lights up the forums.

I just figured the decent ones here deserved to hear a great album they haven't heard in a while.

Kristy
11-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Well Hendrix is a major improvement when one considers your other musical tastes.

Yount
11-19-2012, 04:25 PM
When Axis: Bold as Love gets put on one of my eyebrows goes up. You always expect Experienced? or a greatest hits.
Some guy told me the other night: "Big Floyd fan!" Puts on Dark Side Of the Moon, yawn, like I haven't heard it 10 gazillion times plus the thousand-odd synched up to the movie Wizard of Oz.

I wonder who's sitting on those Hendrix lost master tapes? Ca-ching.

ThrillsNSpills
11-19-2012, 04:58 PM

78/84 guy
11-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Great album. Kind of a lost Hendrix album. And with only 3 that seems wierd.

ThrillsNSpills
11-20-2012, 01:19 PM
:flock:

binnie
11-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Electric Ladyland is the record that really gets me - easily in my top 5 records.

But 'Axis' is the most underated record, the one people seem least familar with who aren't Hendrix fans. When that chorus kicks in on 'Spanish Castle Magic' it's OVER!

ThrillsNSpills
11-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Well Hendrix is a major improvement when one considers your other musical tastes.

as long as you enjoy your instability..

ThrillsNSpills
11-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Electric Ladyland is the record that really gets me - easily in my top 5 records.

But 'Axis' is the most underated record, the one people seem least familar with who aren't Hendrix fans. When that chorus kicks in on 'Spanish Castle Magic' it's OVER!

I like the keychange at the end of the Bold as Love song combined with the over the top phasing. Many cool moments throughout.

Headly1984
11-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Huh,

I would consider Electric Ladyland the most over looked album of the 3 Hendrix records

People may know the singles from ELL but the core of the record is probably lost on most Hendrix fans .. House burning down, little miss strange, long hot summer nights

It is not as cohesive as the other 2 yet it spans so much - an artistic attempt at something 'greater' or of a wider breadth than he had been given up until that experiment imho

Hendrix is a little like the Grateful Dead or White Stripes - you really have to hear em live to 'get it'

Me, I do like all things Hendrix ..

I will never tire of the melodic 3rd stone from the Sun or others off of the 1st album
- or the lyrical genius of Axis:Bold as Love - the entire album is en fuego lyrically ... the stories told so well meshed with the music in Wait until Tomorrow / If 6 Was 9 / Spanish Castle Magic / aint no telling / Little Wing / Castles Made of Sand / & of course - Axis - amazing stuff - very polished - very artistic & well crafted by a man in tune with his self/abilities and the content of his desires in song & story

I love VH as a band & DLR as an embodiment of Rock Front man at it's finest - but Hendrix was a guy that moved to the beat of his own Calliope or angelic symphony of inspiration & what he did with the guitar was - maybe not the most technically brilliant , but, live, from the recordings I have listened to - I find him very fluid and expressive with an uncanny in the moment intensity of projecting his internal desires into sound ..

talking about Hendrix is like using words to describe color or taste - some things need to be Experienced to be understood