PDA

View Full Version : The TOY DOLLS

Jérôme Frenchise
11-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Well, they've been making albums and touring since 1979, but I'm only discovering them...
Three of my pals said they've known about them for a long time though, m'well... :umm:

Anyway, talking about energy and entertainment! The Toy Dolls deliver!

Ideal for apéro time at a house party/dinner! :)

"The Album After the Last One" was out this year.

http://www.thetoydolls.com/

FORD
11-21-2012, 12:51 PM
I had no idea these guys were still around. I remember hearing them back in the 80's, and thinking they were hilarious as all Hell, but couldn't find any of their records at the time, so I forgot all about them.

Kind of the UK answer to The Dickies, in a way.

FORD
11-21-2012, 12:53 PM
And just like The Dickies, the Toy Dolls always did hilarious cover versions....

vandeleur
11-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Toy dolls were class ... Olga was a local personality for a while

FORD
11-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Here's a classic....

vandeleur
11-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Bastards !!! I am now gonna end up singing that for the next week now ... Bollox

Whooooooaah :biggrin:

Jérôme Frenchise
11-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Toy dolls were class ... Olga was a local personality for a while

They're still active. They had a few gaps without making any album, but they surely kept touring in between...

The Toy Dolls' tunes and concerts should obviously be refunded by the welfare system.

Here's their discography. I went for a compilation called "We're Mad - Anthology" to start with.

1983 Dig That Groove Baby
1985 A Far Out Disc
1986 Idle Gossip
1987 Bare Faced Cheek
1989 Ten Years Of Toys
1989 Wakey Wakey
1990 22 Tunes Live From Tokyo
1991 Fat Bob's Feet
1993 Absurd-Ditties
1995 Orcastrated
1997 One More Megabyte
1999 On Stage in Stuttgart
2000 Anniversary Anthems
2004 Our Last Album?
2006 Treasured Toy Dolls Tracks Live
2012 The Album After The Last One

FORD
11-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Guess that Dickies influence on the Toy Dolls was even more literal than I thought.... apparently Olga has been touring with the Dickies (playing bass, oddly enough) in recent years.....

katina
11-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Olga is hilarious !!! Toy Dolls concerts are sold out down here, I believe the last time they played here was 2010.
This is the beggining of their 2006 concert in Buenos Aires, Olga is coming out from a box (our last tour?), the audience love them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR-6K6mn7A&feature=relmfu

Jérôme Frenchise
11-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Guess that Dickies influence on the Toy Dolls was even more literal than I thought.... apparently Olga has been touring with the Dickies (playing bass, oddly enough) in recent years.....

Very skillful musically, but there's something that radically differentiates both bands: apparent seriousness, in the Dickies - but then I'm saying so after listening to only one song...
The Toy Dolls are sheer fun in comparison - in comparison to almost any other band, that said! :)

FORD
11-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Nah, the Dickies rarely take anything seriously. Not only do they do covers of cartoon TV show themes, but even their original songs have titles like "Stuck in a Pagoda with Trisha Toyota" (she was a TV news anchor in Los Angeles at the time) "Bowling With Bedrock Barney" and "If Stuart Could Talk" which was about the singer having a conversation with his penis.... who is represented by a puppet when they do the song live :biggrin:

I got a little friend he's with me to the end
What does he say
I ask him for opinions and political decisions
Each and every day
I know that it's a dream dirty and obscene anyway

If stuart could talk what would he say
What would he say if stuey could talk to me

Whenever i'm alone i'm really not alone
He's always there
When i am going to falter and i'm standing at the alter
And there's not a prayer
I know it's up to him if i ever sin anyway

What would he say what would he say
"yes my name is stuart and i assure you i can speak
And lately i find myself astounded
At the sort of company you keep
Something further i must mention
Of this fact i cannot understand
Is your insatiable attention at annoying me with your hand
And in closing may i offer this point must be succint
My purpose is for procreation
And not facilitating in your sin"

Jérôme Frenchise
11-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Hilarious stuff I must admit! :biggrin:

Cheers! :bottle:

philouze
12-08-2012, 06:22 AM
Saw them in Bordeaux,France in 2004. Spent the evening with the band: Olga, Tommy Goober & Dave The Nut. Crazy night indeed... Great memories, tons of autographs & a free copy of their biography: From Fulwell To Fukuoka.