PDA

View Full Version : Albums that you'd like to see remixed/remastered/reissued

binnie
11-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Given music's current 'nostalgia' phase, record companies seem obsessed with remixing and remastering classic records for a quick buck. Often this leads to little noticeable difference from the original; or a tainting of it. But sometime, just sometimes, it captures the record as it should have been.

What albums would you like to see remixed/remastered?

Little Texan
11-21-2012, 05:02 PM
DLR Band, And Justice For All, and Death Magnetic.

lesfunk
11-21-2012, 05:03 PM
King Crimson Discipline

FORD
11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
I'd like to see the entire Rolling Stones catalog re-released by Virgin Records, because the Universal remasters suck ass.

binnie
11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
King Crimson Discipline

Never heard that record - what's the problem with it?

Nickdfresh
11-21-2012, 05:21 PM
I'd like to see 5150 with Sammy's vocals and most of the tracks removed and replaced with the Dave versions of the possible three songs he recorded before leaving...

A nice EP!

binnie
11-21-2012, 05:22 PM

BOOM!

The Metallica records were the ones I was going to mention. Although everyone acuses them of being corporate whores, it's interesting that they've yet to go down the 'reissue' route.

Personally, I think '....Justice' is crying out for a much fuller mix - it's quite simple, really: turn down the drums and turn up the bass. That way the whole thing would sound a bit like the 'Garage Days' EP - so thick and luscious because Newstead was under Hetfield's guitar. I think 'Justice' would sound monstrous with a remix.

'Death Magnetic' is a better album than the mix suggests - its sounds dry and rigid.

binnie
11-21-2012, 05:24 PM
I'd like to see the original mixes of the ZZ Top albums re-released (has this happened yet? The '80s remixes are crap).

lesfunk
11-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Never heard that record - what's the problem with it?

Nothing really, but I would like a little brighter mix; maybe bonus tracks etc. I need an excuse to buy it again

binnie
11-21-2012, 05:25 PM
I'd like to see 5150 with Sammy's vocals and most of the tracks removed and replaced with the Dave versions of the possible three songs he recorded before leaving...

A nice EP!

I'm still trying to forget that 5150 happened..........

vandeleur
11-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Justice has bass on it ????? :biggrin:

twonabomber
11-21-2012, 05:59 PM
I'd like to see the entire Rolling Stones catalog re-released by Virgin Records, because the Universal remasters suck ass.

I think the only CBS Stones CD's I still have are Steel Wheels and Flashpoint. Maybe Made In The Shade. Everything else is the Virgin remasters. Never did finish the Abkco part of it though.

FORD
11-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I still have all the first run ABKCO discs from 1987. The only one I bought in 2002 was Metamorphosis which wasn't released in 87. Kinda regret not buying the rest of the 2002 set now, since apparently they do sound a lot better, and the damn things haven't been released again since the initial pressing.

Funny how they can get ABKCO to cooperate with compilations like 40 Licks or the new GRRR, but can't get the actual albums re-released. You would think with the Stones being signed to Universal, which also distributes ABKCO, that there wouldn't be any roadblocks left.

Apart from the greed of the Klein family, of course.

Matt White
11-21-2012, 07:12 PM
I'd like to see ALL of Bob Seger's catalog re-released...even the 60's stuff

been WAY too long without

Mr. Vengeance
11-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Shit.....this is a fantastic thread, but also an impossible one. I hate to think what remastering some of my faves would do, considering I hate to mess with originals.....

If you could remaster the early LOVE albums, maybe....they were so ahead of the game and a lot of that music might translate well to being cleaned up a bit. I'm dating myself.....

Mr. Vengeance
11-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Oh you want a more modern one? (yeah like mid 80's is modern...) Dokken- Breaking The Chains. Remaster that! Great album but the drums are distorted and George's guitar is lost at times.

sadaist
11-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Ratt - the first EP.

Always loved 'You Think You're Tough' but it just sounds god awful. Like they are in Pearcys garage with a crummy tape recorder. (probably were). Would love to hear it with the proper treatment.

Kristy
11-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Prince - his entire pre "Power Generation" catalog; The Clash - remastered proper; The Smiths!!! (definitely)
http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/e66a36073e6d737934a679456c0a8c3a/164.jpg

Let's see, what else...

Steve Winwood solo career material...; Hank Mobley's 'No Room For Squares' (although Blue Note did do a good job), Ry Cooder's catalog to mid 2000'th's; John Hiatt's mid 80's to mid 90's output; Tom Petty's 'Full Moon Fever'; Pat's Metheny's EMI catalog output; James Taylor's 70's output; a lot of Johnny Cash remastered proper; Big Black 'Songs About Fucking'....
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSurYHqwjZ9yhH07GIE71GCAbp0NHbGE jirLblJ92yPTD-L47RWQQ

I'm sure there are tons of others

Coyote
11-22-2012, 03:38 AM
I'd like to see the original mixes of the ZZ Top albums re-released (has this happened yet? The '80s remixes are crap).

Tres Hombres was restored and re-released a few years ago...

sadaist
11-22-2012, 03:40 AM
Dang Kristy. You have a very eclectic taste in music. I usually don't stray too far off the hard rock path although I am a super huge fan of Colin Hay.

vandeleur
11-22-2012, 05:35 AM
Colin hay is very good.
I've always thought it would be interesting if husker du albums were remastered ,as much as I love them and think how they were recorded is part of the charm when I listen to them now I wonder would these be better if they were mastered better/differently ... Fuck it I can always just turn the treble down lol

DLR Bridge
11-22-2012, 06:35 AM
The first 4 King's X CDs. Great tunes but the recording sounds a bit thin due to Dug's grumbly tuned down bass. Actual bottom end is lacking. Dogman had a good sound.

Kristy
11-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Dang Kristy. You have a very eclectic taste in music. I usually don't stray too far off the hard rock path although I am a super huge fan of Colin Hay.

I have 'American Sunshine' by him. It's quite good. I can't listen to one genre of music for too long without becomming absolutely bored by it. Right now, I'm listening to Graham Parker's 'Squeezing Out Sparks' - love to see this one remastered.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC_wZOMMn-bwIJPiXn3tyw44w3VjG5Cza_YkmqskgRUVS6wv6iTg

binnie
11-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Prince - his entire pre "Power Generation" catalog; The Clash - remastered proper; The Smiths!!! (definitely)
http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/e66a36073e6d737934a679456c0a8c3a/164.jpg

Let's see, what else...

Steve Winwood solo career material...; Hank Mobley's 'No Room For Squares' (although Blue Note did do a good job), Ry Cooder's catalog to mid 2000'th's; John Hiatt's mid 80's to mid 90's output; Tom Petty's 'Full Moon Fever'; Pat's Metheny's EMI catalog output; James Taylor's 70's output; a lot of Johnny Cash remastered proper; Big Black 'Songs About Fucking'....
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSurYHqwjZ9yhH07GIE71GCAbp0NHbGE jirLblJ92yPTD-L47RWQQ

I'm sure there are tons of others

Big Black 'Songs About Fucking' is an excellent call.

Not sure about The Smiths albums though - wouldn't Morriesy still sound like an emaciated wimpy prick in the hands of any producer? :D

binnie
11-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Oh you want a more modern one? (yeah like mid 80's is modern...) Dokken- Breaking The Chains. Remaster that! Great album but the drums are distorted and George's guitar is lost at times.

I'd agree with that - I'd also say that Don's vocals sounf shit on that too (even by his standards). The whole thing is dry and coarse....

Kristy
11-22-2012, 03:11 PM
King Crimson Discipline

Um, the entire King Crimson catalog was rereleased under Fripp's direction back in 2006(?) including the Adrain Belew contributions of 'Three Of A Perfect Pair' and 'Heartbeat.' I have 'Discipline' around here somewhere and the bonus were more of extended ones. If memory serves, the remasters sound flat. As for Husker Du, yeah, don't know much can be done there. I thought 'Warehouse' was a forgotten masterpiece of the late 80's but whomever engineered those Husker records had no clue as to what they were doing. What a brilliant record this is:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSSOgJd2iajAi52vEHG6goUNbZp4nR9 b6akgdyo_M9vO-uBWDT6w

Kristy
11-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Big Black 'Songs About Fucking' is an excellent call.

Not sure about The Smiths albums though - wouldn't Morriesy still sound like an emaciated wimpy prick in the hands of any producer? :D
Speaking of which, you know who did produce one of Morrissey's albums? Why none other than ex-Bowie guitarist Mick Ronson.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/Mick_Ronson_1979.jpg/220px-Mick_Ronson_1979.jpg

I think those Smiths' outputs would be great. John Porter was the man behind the wheel on most of their recordings. But Morrissey's voice would suck no matter what.

binnie
11-22-2012, 03:56 PM
It's Morrissey's voice that acts of a barrier for me - I've just never veen able to get past it.

The Smiths were huge here, and if you happen to work in a record store (which I did for many years) you get them rammed into your ears.....

Husker Du were an awesome band - would they sound right with a clearer/more defined mix? I think they might be a candidate for the 'works better when sounds shitter' file (like The Ramones).

chefcraig
11-22-2012, 07:58 PM

Yup, along with Rush' Vapor Trails. The God-awful clipping and over-compressed sound on that album makes it unlistenable.

I'd also love to hear Billy Sheehan's mixes of Dave's Skyscraper, which Sheehan claims to be less keyboard-loaded and far heavier, with a whacked up bass sound like used on some of the tracks on Eat 'Em and Smile.

Husker Du were an awesome band - would they sound right with a clearer/more defined mix? I think they might be a candidate for the 'works better when sounds shitter' file (like The Ramones).

Yeah, they could do some damage live, but the fact is they simply played waaaay too fucking loud. The sound would knock you over, and not in a clear, refined way. They more than likely recorded in the same manner, leading to some spectacularly crummy sounding albums, of which I'd have to say this is my favorite:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/Doomriders/newdayrising.jpg

Kristy
11-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Speaking of what was on the SST label - the first three albums by fIREHOSE
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSapPR8AstfvYHlnHs2u0UrMuq0N7N_V VXrmpPjitTK657ubrNIaAhttps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQ-1znRBxDOOnLAHE7HSgbIvOKyJpe1ftpNexgNIimC4e9nND7htt ps://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSefxJIPFJ1xjAoOEL6KaWKwjjMKAfk8 MFcbUXdZKaM3nvF9S6j
Notice the Husker's on the cover of 'If'N'

Then the pre-fIREHOSE era:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZrecrojFUyQhXqsBn4K88jqSUJLVMX BZb8JG0mIMHyntX-vZI

And while I think abut it, the entire catalog of Joe Jackson
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/885996/Joe+Jackson.jpg
I know his first one ('Look Sharp') was remastered yet the production on that remained to be thin. But it woudl great if this one was remastered proper:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDceLvLwEd-sSp7itSu4t20UFxSuVMootCNN3NU2zobAX3l54TnA

Kristy
11-22-2012, 09:55 PM

Problem with Husker was they were too fucked up on drugs to care. By the time 'Warehouse' was made (and due to be their final album) both Hart and Norton were hardcore heroin addicts (Hart was known to do a Keith Moon or two and throw up all up his drums during gigs after doing himself) and according to Mould, when Norton took off his shoes and it "smelled like a dead animal" that was the end of Husker Du. 'Workbook' was an excellent album and even to the day, Mould has yet recapture the magic on it with his solo material that was to follow never quite matched up to it - although his 'Sugar' project (which was a somewhat lame attempt of Mould trying to reproduce to power trio form Husker once had) weren't all that bad.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5d4bglKykAU6iQWjkWJQU7H4pT4vUp u9FitA6FZFtWVYGn_aCTg

Doesn't Mould these days looks like an embittered chemistry professor who would fit in perfectly on 'Breaking Bad?"
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJI437keIKeXi7oGxEnEa7xfnp_raFZ AFsLgUxSM5Izbgrw5BWeQ

I guess we're all getting older.

Nickdfresh
11-22-2012, 10:18 PM
The Who - Live at Leeds...

:)

FORD
11-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Reading this thread makes my ears crave some Husker Du.......

FORD
11-23-2012, 12:07 AM
And what would you call this........ Husker Foo??

vandeleur
11-23-2012, 02:49 AM
I like sugar , copper blue is good and beaster even better . I think each of the sugar albums had a couple of great songs . The obvious draw back was the wernt husker du .

vandeleur
11-23-2012, 02:56 AM
I did get bobs auto biography . Mega disappointed .
He was more interested in telling you about his complex love life than how he created his music . Huge chunks of his musical life are skipped over to discuss more personal things . He seemed to forget why people were interested in him in the first place.
Maybe I am being a little unfair I had read life by keef about the same time and bob's book didn't compare well to it in the musical details and musical anecdotes.

chefcraig
11-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Then the pre-fIREHOSE era:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZrecrojFUyQhXqsBn4K88jqSUJLVMX BZb8JG0mIMHyntX-vZI

Only the best cover version of a VH tune ever offered, outside of the totally awesome (and pretty much impossible to find) Everybody Wants Some album. And Mike Watt will forever be one of my heroes, for his very astute take on Sammy Hagar: "The big rebellion thing was writing your own fuckin' songs and trying to come up with your own story, your own picture, your own book, whatever. So he can't drive 55, because that was the national speed limit? Okay, we'll drive 55, but we'll make crazy music."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0C0Yke9tww

Kristy
11-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Only the best cover version of a VH tune ever offered, outside of the totally awesome (and pretty much impossible to find) Everybody Wants Some album. And Mike Watt will forever be one of my heroes, for his very astute take on Sammy Hagar: "The big rebellion thing was writing your own fuckin' songs and trying to come up with your own story, your own picture, your own book, whatever. So he can't drive 55, because that was the national speed limit? Okay, we'll drive 55, but we'll make crazy music."

Mike Watt was (and probably still is) a huge Van Halen fan. When the Minutemen covered 'Ain't Talking About Love' they had to rerecord it for 'Double Nickles' for they thought Warners would come down hard on them for Boon's changing the lyrics a bit where he (originally) sings: "I ain't talking about love so fuck off!" Or "I have no time to fuck around so fuck off.." Something like that. The "...so fuck off!" was dropped and the song rerecorded for the album - although the original does exist out there.

Think I told the story on where where Matt Watt actually ran into me on his way to the stage. He knocked me to the floor, didn't turn around apologize, help me up, just walked to the stage, picked up his bass and started to play. I really admire the guy.

sadaist
11-23-2012, 11:25 AM
This one is silly....and obscure. But motherfuck if I didn't love album this when I was in junior high and 11-12 years old just getting in to metal. Would love to hear these songs done correctly. They are so damn tinny that it's hard to listen to more than 1 or 2 now. When I was 12 I didn't know any better. I can't get that innocence back and listen with those young ears any more :(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/43/Grimreaperseeyouinhell.jpg

*Fucking killer artwork to a 12 year old boy. RAWR!!!

chefcraig
11-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Mike Watt was (and probably still is) a huge Van Halen fan. When the Minutemen covered 'Ain't Talking About Love' they had to rerecord it for 'Double Nickles' for they thought Warners would come down hard on them for Boon's changing the lyrics a bit where he (originally) sings: "I ain't talking about love so fuck off!" Or "I have no time to fuck around so fuck off.." Something like that. The "...so fuck off!" was dropped and the song rerecorded for the album - although the original does exist out there.

Think I told the story on where where Matt Watt actually ran into me on his way to the stage. He knocked me to the floor, didn't turn around apologize, help me up, just walked to the stage, picked up his bass and started to play. I really admire the guy.

Mike Watt is amongst a group of musicians (mostly from the SST/independent record labels) that I adore to this day. When Watt released his Tugboat Or Ball Hog solo album, Dave Grohl and Eddie Vedder very quietly became his backing band and helped the guy tour. To this day, at the drop of a hat (and even given my advanced age, the one you seem to take a perverse pride in ridiculing), I'd be willing to bail on my job, wrap up my beat-up Telecaster and SG bass, grab both of my crummy little amps, find a sleeping bag and while wearing little more than my jeans, a Batman t shirt and my work boots, would willingly hop into the back of the closest station wagon with a band of foul smelling dudes and go out on tour, playing to the shittiest clubs and most uninspired audiences conceivable. I've long since gotten used to surviving on a diet consisting of little more than peanut butter and crackers, as long as some halfway decent weed and a Falstaffian percentage of alcohol were accounted for in the per diem package.

There is a certain "Get In The Van" mentality to these guys, one that I will eternally admire and wish to have the internal courage, fortitude let alone balls to live up to.

FORD
11-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Only one response fits the mention of Grim Reaper......

chefcraig
11-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Butt-head: Look! It's Krokus coming to kick their ass. It's "The Night of the Living Bands That Suck."

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/Sarah_Belles90/beavis-butthead.gif

DLR Bridge
11-23-2012, 12:13 PM
I remember the mild feeling of outrage I had when B & B were poking fun at the She's My Machine video.

big fatty
11-23-2012, 12:16 PM

RON WOOD Gimme Some Neck

FORD
11-23-2012, 12:24 PM

RON WOOD Gimme Some Neck

Definitely..... the mastering on that CD sounds like total shit.

Warner Archives did a great job on his first two solo albums though.

Kristy
11-23-2012, 01:15 PM
I did get bobs auto biography . Mega disappointed .
He was more interested in telling you about his complex love life than how he created his music . Huge chunks of his musical life are skipped over to discuss more personal things . He seemed to forget why people were interested in him in the first place.
Maybe I am being a little unfair I had read life by keef about the same time and bob's book didn't compare well to it in the musical details and musical anecdotes.

You're not being unfair. When Mould came out of the closet to publicly announce that he as gay it was no surprise a lot of his fan base were shocked. I think it made for a lot of boring albums by Mould as well. To me, Mould is stuck in this perpetual 80's "college rock" vibe which he made so famous among with other bands of that era like The Replacements, Dinosaur Jr., Fugazi. Ha, Mould stuck in a mold! He had done his best (only recently) to break away from that characterization but can never seem to shake it. He went as far to say "I hate alternative music" though it was spoken in jest. I mean, come on, he was staple on MTV's 120 Minutes.

Mould did say that 'Beaster' one one of his better works although it was really nothing more than a EP of a bunch of high volume, power riffing, naval gazing tunes to me. Maybe he wasn't at all trying to capture the spirit of Husker Du but maybe their essence on that record (tunes like 'Come Around' do seem to posses that Mould patented anti-melody guitar droning that only he can do) but it was kind of a boring record to me.

Kristy
11-23-2012, 01:32 PM

RON WOOD Gimme Some Neck

Yeah, I agree. Although I don't know what can be done about making Ron's early solo work sound better. By that I mean...

Really, I can listen to just about anyone or any genre of music even there are some stipulations and discrepancies such as I will not listen to corporate pop like Lady Gaga or violent, misogynist rap but the two major things I will not budge on are

1. The talent of the band is sub-par (meaning the musician on them spent little or no time studying, manipulating learning how to play their instrument. Of course, this accounts for 99% of all these pussy emo bands out there).

and

2. The production of the record itself is just awful even if the playing is good (meaning archaic recording practices, bad engineering such as little or too much bass, treble, poor micing, slurred singing, too much variations between instrument(s) mix, bad timing, annoying nuances (i.e., cowbell anybody?) you know, like every shitty Zeppelin record).

I bring this up because I think the production on these early Ron Wood recordings is just plain bad. Problem is, both 'I Got My Own Record...' and 'Now Look' were good albums but failed commercially due to their lack of quality production.

FORD
11-23-2012, 02:13 PM
I bring this up because I think the production on these early Ron Wood recordings is just plain bad. Problem is, both 'I Got My Own Record...' and 'Now Look' were good albums but failed commercially due to their lack of quality production.

And yet both are sonic masterpieces compared to "Gimme Some Neck" - where the CD sounds like a bad cassette recorded from an FM radio with a crappy antenna.

chefcraig
11-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Worst of all, there simply isn't any excuse for it. Wood played on the first two Jeff Beck solo albums, and then went on to do some fine work with Rod Stewart solo and in the Faces. I've said before, those early Stewart albums changed my life, and they still sound amazing to this very day. And those guys were definitely NOT King Crimson-like master musicians, so what gives?

I guess it comes down to attitude and most importantly, atmosphere...along with having at least one guy in the room sober enough to record the damned thing properly. And after reading Woody's autobiography, I can attest that (A) He was far from the most sober fellow in the room during the proceedings and (B) certainly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. No matter, I still love the guy, and his "bum notes are OK" philosophy has gotten me through more than one gig or recording session throughout my life.

Kristy
11-23-2012, 02:17 PM
I'll admit I am not familiar with "Gimmie Me Some Neck"

chefcraig
11-23-2012, 02:20 PM
I'll admit I am not familiar with "Gimmie Me Some Neck"

Trust me, you're better off. It's pretty much summed up by saying the artwork and the packaging are far better than the actual music.

Kristy
11-23-2012, 02:24 PM
I guess it comes down to attitude and most importantly, atmosphere...along with having at least one guy in the room sober enough to record the damned thing properly. And after reading Woody's autobiography, I can attest that (A) He was far from the most sober fellow in the room during the proceedings and (B) certainly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. No matter, I still love the guy, and his "bum notes are OK" philosophy has gotten me through more than one gig or recording session throughout my life.

Wood has publicly said his drinking has cost him a lot in life. Maybe it is attitude in that he looked upon his solo outing as being farces more than anything. His first two solo offerings were quite good though. I'll say I really admired Ron Wood not for his musicianship as much as he did to stay with his brother Art who was dying from cancer a few years ago. Story has it Ron would go to visit him every day and was with his brother to the very end.

FORD
11-23-2012, 02:29 PM
One of the better tracks from that record..... and according to the liner notes, the Stones are helping him out here, though this don't sound like Charlie on the drums, in my opinion. Mick & Keef are definitely in there though....

Kristy
11-23-2012, 02:30 PM
And yet both are sonic masterpieces compared to "Gimme Some Neck" - where the CD sounds like a bad cassette recorded from an FM radio with a crappy antenna.

I bought this about a year ago or so...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDdXf2RurFMwQWpdKI2_Wu77K5rmq_M jDhpPLxxye4YuJc8Vl-

I'll admit it's not an easy album to listen to and a lot of it seems to be haphazardly recorded by being sloppy in parts and Wood allowing his guest musicians such as Flea, slash, Billy Gibbons cover up the mistakes. Plus, Wood has no voice whatsoever - too gravely due to years of cigarette smoking and alcohol. You can say the same about Tom Waits but whereas Waits has some characterization in his singing style Wood doesn't even try. He always seems to work better as a side man.

FORD
11-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Yeah, Ronnie's singing has always been his weakest link. Otherwise, he could have done that Faces "reunion" tour without hiring the Simply Red guy as a scab singer when Rod Stewart decided he'd rather make another album of shitty Muzak cover songs than return to the band that made him rich and famous.

Poor old grandad Ronnie. I laughed at all his singing......

Kristy
11-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Yeah, his singing is intolerable there. Even the token background vocalists can't save him.

sadaist
11-23-2012, 11:28 PM
I knew you guys would rip me for Grim Reaper. Doesn't change the fact that in 7th grade I fucking loved the thing. Me & my best friend would walk our 4 laps the entire PE period and sing it. Such tough guy rebels with our bandanas on our wrists and black fingerless gloves :)

78/84 guy
11-24-2012, 11:52 AM
The six pack. With bonus cut's Maybe "live" from that tour.

sadaist
11-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Do live albums count? I had a Jimi Hendrix one. Was the first time I heard him play Johnny B Goode. Incredible. Sounded like shit though. Like a crap tape recorder in some dudes pocket.

Dave's Bitch
11-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Reissuing the first two Municipal Waste "albums" (Municipal waste and Tango and Thrash) as a joint package on one disk would be pretty cool.Municipal waste being an EP and Tango and Thrash being a split EP with another band,Mashing the two together would be cool

Satan
11-24-2012, 03:29 PM
The six pack. With bonus cut's Maybe "live" from that tour.

That's why the previous remasters of the catalog were such a waste of time. For the most part, Warner does great with remastering old albums through the Rhino label. Usually, they put enough bonus tracks on a CD to match the length of the original album, and since all of the Van HALEN albums were under 40 minutes, there's no good reason not to do this with their catalog.

If I was running Rhino, I'd handle it like they did the Grateful Dead's catalog. One box set, with all of the albums in "extended" versions with bonus tracks (either live or studio) and then an additional 2 disc package with demos and early club gigs. And I'd definitely find a way to bring the two tracks from 1996 into it. Not sure if it would be right to include them as "bonus tracks" on 1984, since there was 12 years and an ocean of Velveeta separating those two recording sessions. Maybe an additional bonus disc with those tracks, and whatever the band actually managed to put on tape in the second botched reunion of 2000-2001?

Satan
11-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Speaking of 6 packs that need to be released, I think it's time the original 6 Ac/Dc albums with Bon Scott got a full worldwide release in their original unedited Australian form. Yeah, it's true that most of the tracks have been made available through one means or another, if you bought all the other box sets like Bonfire, Backtracks, etc. But what is so damned difficult in just releasing the albums the way that they were made in the first place?

The Beatles and Stones finally did it. Why not Ac/Dc??

Golden AWe
11-24-2012, 05:50 PM
They should remix Van Hagar by taking off the singing and keyboards.

binnie
11-24-2012, 06:26 PM
I like sugar , copper blue is good and beaster even better . I think each of the sugar albums had a couple of great songs . The obvious draw back was the wernt husker du .

I'd agree with that. I listened to 'Sugar' a couple of months ago and was surprised at just how good it was - hints of REM here and there in the melodies....

Satan
11-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Sugar, to me seemed like a natural extension of where Husker Du was going on their last couple of albums. Minus the presence of Grant Hart, obviously.

My favorite song from Sugar.... and not just because I'm mentioned in the lyrics.

chefcraig
11-24-2012, 06:49 PM
I know his first one ('Look Sharp') was remastered yet the production on that remained to be thin. But it woudl great if this one was remastered proper:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDceLvLwEd-sSp7itSu4t20UFxSuVMootCNN3NU2zobAX3l54TnA

Kristy, check this out. It's the original album cover that Body & Soul was based upon.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx47/spherebleue/e-monsite/bn_5704.jpg

sadaist
11-24-2012, 07:11 PM
They should remix Van Hagar by taking off the singing and keyboards.

I don't know man. Of the 4 albums they did, the last 2 were exceptionally awful. But as for 5150 I'm all for it. Great Idea! I love the song '5150'. The drums are incredible to me. (I know, fake drums or whatever. I don't fucking care. I love them)

Satan
11-24-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't know man. Of the 4 albums they did, the last 2 were exceptionally awful. But as for 5150 I'm all for it. Great Idea! I love the song '5150'. The drums are incredible to me. (I know, fake drums or whatever. I don't fucking care. I love them)

Well they're better on the "Live Without a Real Singer" video, because Al DID play actual drums live. Problem is that Hagar's screeching on that is worse than the album.

Mr. Vengeance
11-24-2012, 07:57 PM
As a Ramones fan of the first order, I can remember being very upset when I heard Phil Spector was going to produce this- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ea/Ramones_-_End_of_the_Century_cover.jpg/220px-Ramones_-_End_of_the_Century_cover.jpg
I find Spector to be the biggest joke of a producer ever. He makes shit all about him, and ruins more material than he perfects.

Rhino remastered the album, and added a bunch of gems, in many of the tunes without Spector's "Wall of Sound", as bonus tracks. I wish they could remaster the album as a whole without Spector's "magic", the same way they did with Let It Be.

Headly1984
11-29-2012, 02:06 PM
King Crimson

USA

- that one needs a good remaster, freshening up and put it in surround sound or ? something to pull all of that apart and together again for a bit more separation for my ears appreciation

for those not experienced w USA

I was looking for Easy Money & Talking Drum but found this 1st ..

Headly1984
11-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Hendrix Concerts

Best live Hendrix material I am aware of - but the sound is radio compressed

chefcraig
11-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Hendrix Concerts

Best live Hendrix material I am aware of - but the sound is radio compressed

The original vinyl issue sounds very warm, particularly on the spectacular version of "Red House." Yet for one reason or another, the CD version sounds flat as a pancake. Most of the blame has to sit with Alan Douglas, who has had a hand in butchering a great amount of posthumous Hendrix releases.

Headly1984
11-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I grabbed mine on vinyl :thumbs:

haven't been lucky enough to find that on CD in GC

Zing!
11-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Let it Be Naked was sooo much better that way.

Loved that album!

Mr. Vengeance
11-29-2012, 06:17 PM
First 2 Kiss albums are in dire need of remastering if they haven't already been.

The first three were "remastered" but you can't tell the difference. I'm sure it's part of Gene's master plan to remaster them 15 times, gradually getting them to the point of optimum sound.

Satan
11-29-2012, 07:05 PM
As a Ramones fan of the first order, I can remember being very upset when I heard Phil Spector was going to produce this- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ea/Ramones_-_End_of_the_Century_cover.jpg/220px-Ramones_-_End_of_the_Century_cover.jpg
I find Spector to be the biggest joke of a producer ever. He makes shit all about him, and ruins more material than he perfects.

Rhino remastered the album, and added a bunch of gems, in many of the tunes without Spector's "Wall of Sound", as bonus tracks. I wish they could remaster the album as a whole without Spector's "magic", the same way they did with Let It Be.

The difference between "Let It Be" and "End of the Century" is that the Beatles already had more or less finished recordings before Spector was involved, and though he added orchestration and choir type shit to it, the Beatles themselves played on the entire album. So you can listen to the "Naked" version that was eventually released, or you can listen to the George Martin and Glyn Johns versions of the albums long available as bootlegs, or even the 80 hours of raw session takes that are out there.

The Ramones, on the other hand, aren't even sure how much of End of the Century they actually played on. The demo tracks that came out on the remastered CD are probably all that is available as far as non-Spectorized versions of those songs go.

What's funny though is to hear John and George talk about this with Johnny, Dee Dee, and Joey. Joey actually remains a fan of Spector's work, but the others have promised to kick Phil's ass the minute he arrives in Hell! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif