Clear All
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Extreme couponer attacked by store manager

Couponer Says She Was Attacked By Store Manager

Posted on: 12:44 pm, November 23, 2012, by Staff Writer

Link

MEMPHIS, TN (WREG) – A confrontation between a Dollar Tree manager and an extreme couponer turns violent. One customer is beaten and bruised, and the store manager is now facing charges.

The incident happened Wednesday at the Dollar Tree in Germantown, and it was all caught on tape.

“It’s a little fuzzy,” Melissa Monzo-Marte said about her eye.” As you see I have broken blood vessels and a fat lip.”

Melissa is an extreme couponer. She says she and her friend, Jennifer Hill, got more than they bargained for when they tried to cash in on some deals at the Dollar Tree in Germantown.

“She was getting ready to buy 25 Advil and I think about 25 Olay bars,” Melissa said.

The two women say the store manager refused to honor their coupons, despite a sign by the front door that says Dollar Tree honors manufacturer’s coupons.

“We were told we were harassing her (the manager) using those coupons and she threatened to call the cops,” Jennifer said.

The resistance came as a shock to Melissa and Jennifer who are no strangers to the coupon game. They have been recognized for donating hundreds of dollars worth of goods to charities, and they say they save their families thousands of dollars a year.

They even have their own Facebook page called the Desoto County Coupon Club.

So Jennifer says she knows her coupons should have been accepted.

After asking why her coupons were rejected and getting no answer, she decided to hit the record button on her iPhone.

On the recording you hear a woman tell Jennifer she can’t use the coupons, and tell her “you better make like water and get to running.”

So Jennifer left, but Melissa stayed behind.

“I was still collecting all my coupons at the bottom of the basket,” she said.

As Melissa walked out the door, the cell phone video captures her getting attacked.

“I felt the tug of the hair and her fist on the back of my head. Then she spun me around. That’s where she hit me in the eye and the face,” she said.

The store manager, police identify as 32 year-old Shauna Shipman, was charged with misdemeanor assault.

“Who would have thought we are trying to save money for our family?” Monzo-Marte asked.” We donate to everywhere and this happens.”

A bad end to a trip they thought would be a good deal.

Melissa said on this Thanksgiving she’s thankful the attack wasn’t worse. She says police told her the store manager had a box cutter on her.

We tried to call Dollar Tree for comment, but we didn’t get a call back.
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I've waited in line behind one of these couponing fucks before and I wanted to do the same thing to them for all of my time they were wasting, but for a store manager to do this to a customer? There has to be more to this than a couple of ladies trying to use a few too many coupons in a dollar store.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I think 'extreme couponers' should be beaten, actually...

Comment

• WARF
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

I just joined her coupon group!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I have nothing against coupons and essentially used an "e"-one over the weekend at Advance Auto. I do hate stupid jackoffs that hold up lines. More than extreme couponers, I hate stupid couponers that can't figure out the fine print and the basic notion that coupons aren't for use with stuff already on sale and that is plainly stated on said coupon, and they sit there an argue and act stupid wasting my time and that of the others in line. I also think people are retards for using a coupon for the sake of using a coupon to buy crap they never would think of buying ordinarily...

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Little Texan
            I've waited in line behind one of these couponing fucks before and I wanted to do the same thing to them for all of my time they were wasting, but for a store manager to do this to a customer? There has to be more to this than a couple of ladies trying to use a few too many coupons in a dollar store.
            Typical intellect of your average Texan right there. That state can't succeed fast enough.

Comment

• Angel
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
              Typical intellect of your average Texan right there. That state can't succeed fast enough.
              Succeed...or secede?
              "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

They've had plenty of succeed in Texas... great state and all my kids were born there.

But they'll never secede. It's an urban myth that Texas retained some right to secession. It was challenged in the US Supreme court in Texas -vs- White back in 1869. More detail in the secession thread in the Front Line if interested.
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Either or - as long as Texas goes away. Not sure Mexico would want that godforsaken state.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
                    Either or - as long as Texas goes away. Not sure Mexico would want that godforsaken state.
                    Christ you're bitter.... Is there anything you like?
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• envy_me
                      Swedish Love Pump
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Dec 2010

How does the coupon system work in your country? Do poor people get them from the state? Or are these coupons like offers that you cut out from papers and magazines?
                      The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• envy_me
                        Swedish Love Pump
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Dec 2010

And these "extreme couponers", are they aware that if they are abusing the system, people will get sick of it and change the system. Then they'll end up with nothing.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                          Christ you're bitter.... Is there anything you like?
                          Why I like YOU, Va Beach VH Fan

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by envy_me
                            How does the coupon system work in your country? Do poor people get them from the state? Or are these coupons like offers that you cut out from papers and magazines?
                            These are just free coupons from papers, magazines, junk mail and manufacturer web marketing.

No one is abusing this deal... but there are people who might bring 50 coupons in for a given item and buy 50 of them. So they buy in large quantities in a single purchase. I've seen 2 people with 3 carts full of stuff doing this... then they tie up a cash register to check out with all this stuff and it irritates others who have to wait for all that to be processed.
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• envy_me
                              Swedish Love Pump
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                              These are just free coupons from papers, magazines, junk mail and manufacturer web marketing.

No one is abusing this deal... but there are people who might bring 50 coupons in for a given item and buy 50 of them. So they buy in large quantities in a single purchase. I've seen 2 people with 3 carts full of stuff doing this... then they tie up a cash register to check out with all this stuff and it irritates others who have to wait for all that to be processed.
                              Oh, okay.
                              I've seen this show that you have in America. It's called Wife Swap or something like that. And there was this one lady that was crazy about coupons. She bought groceries for a large amount of money, and with coupons payed maybe 20% of the amount.
                              The shops can't make any money off of her.
                              Ok if she was poor, but she wasn't.

Comment

Working...