PDA

View Full Version : The Jeff Buckley appreciation club.

ashstralia
11-26-2012, 04:55 AM
He would've turned 46 a fortnight ago. I got to see him and his kickass band right in front of my naked steaming eyes. Still miss ya dude.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzq64_jeff-buckley-eternal-life_music

ashstralia
11-26-2012, 05:08 AM
It won't embed the vid...

ashstralia
11-26-2012, 05:30 AM

Talented mofo gone way too soon.

vaijuju
11-26-2012, 07:17 AM
I love Jeff ! I missed him in France !

VHscraps
11-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Grace is just a great album that I listened to heavily for a few years. It's been a while since I have sat down and played it through.

I also really like a lot of Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk, which I believe was patched together from tracks that Jeff might not have approved for release if he had still been alive - did it come out just around the time he died (or am I getting confused)?

'Vancouver' was always a fave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0_pFAh6cbw

chefcraig
11-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Ever since I first encountered this song back in the mid-nineties, I felt this was the way Led Zeppelin would have sounded had they not come off of the rails. And I mean that as a compliment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74csZ-wBSU

envy_me
11-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Aaaaaaassh!!! Where are you??? :D

Kristy
11-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Grace - eh, there.

DLR Bridge
11-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Eh? Yeah, ok.

ashstralia
11-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Aaaaaaassh!!! Where are you??? :D

I'm here. Where are you??? :)

katina
11-26-2012, 08:43 PM
I really like live a L´Olympia, outstanding performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kctKUVP7QM

ashstralia
11-27-2012, 03:39 AM
I've got everything. All of it. Even talked to Mary via email. My prized possession is that pick in post 3.

One great memory from twentieth feb 1996, I was dressed head to toe in black. Long hair, John Lennon glasses. A chick asks me, 'are you Gary Oldman?' I told her I wasn't. Then she asked what the first song might be, I said hopefully dream brother. Sure enough it was.

envy_me
11-27-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm here. Where are you??? :)

I don't know, i just thought you haven't posted in a while, but then I was like "he posted this morning, how could i have missed it".

ashstralia
11-27-2012, 04:04 AM
I don't know, i just thought you haven't posted in a while, but then I was like "he posted this morning, how could i have missed it".

Yes, I am a busy boy. We're heading into summer here, and I'm playing in a popular band.. God I love the music biz.

envy_me
11-27-2012, 04:10 AM
Yes, I am a busy boy. We're heading into summer here, and I'm playing in a popular band.. God I love the music biz.

Summer??? Go ahead, rub it in :D

ashstralia
11-27-2012, 04:17 AM
An Aussie summer would hurt you, petal.

All that romping in the surf, not to mention the snakes and spiders.

Jeff liked it here, though.

envy_me
11-27-2012, 04:25 AM
Yeah, you're right. I'm only used to rain. I dry out if it doesn't rain :D

ashstralia
11-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Do you own a bikini?
If so, it's completely useless. The first time you encounter a swell bigger than a metre, it'll rip it right off.

envy_me
11-27-2012, 04:44 AM
The worst thing is when jumping in water from high cliff and the bikini top just goes up :-/

envy_me
11-27-2012, 04:52 AM
I just googled who Jeff Buckley is, what a tragic story :-(

DLR Bridge
11-27-2012, 08:33 AM
I took a mild interest in Jeff about the time I first heard Last Goodbye. Summer of '93 I guess. I'm not good with time. I remember being drawn to the song for a number of reasons. 1) Grunge was not yet dead and there was this song, from out of nowhere, fighting mightily against it. 2) I had always been drawn to the vocal stylings of DLR and the like when it came to rock and roll. Real hair-on-the-chest growling and belting it out. Jeff was unafraid to sing with a sweet, almost feminine falsetto. I found that to be somewhat courageous at the time. 3) Nothing in music at the time had any kind of crescendo to it. This song starts off with the purpose of drawing you in and keeping you there 'til the bitter end and succeeds. 4) The lush, Zeppelin-esque (that's right Kristy) string arrangement. I was even more fascinated later on to find that the strings were based entirely on how Jeff played the song as a one man show with a Tele in the clubs of New York.

Grace had been out for about 4 or 5 months before I decided to pick it up and see if there was anything else on it that was remotely as good as Last Goodbye. Let me just say this. This was the first CD that left me simultaneously puzzled, blown away and anxious for more in a very very long time. Puzzled by the cover song selection, which would later make all of the sense in the world when discovering what it was that made him tick. Blown away by the sheer musicality exhibited throughout along with vocals that soared between ballsy and beautiful. Anxious for more as it is a fast listen that leaves you wanting more from the end of your first listen. Needless to say, my mild interest had evolved into full blown 'Holy shit!! This guy's the real fucking deal!!'

Jeff wielded a mighty trio of power. His voice, his guitar playing and his completely spontaneous and unpredictable way of life. He truly was a butterfly. I miss him sorely.

vaijuju
11-27-2012, 06:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wsk0BNSaNE&feature=related

The smiths' cover

ashstralia
11-27-2012, 07:20 PM
That was great, Bridge. Another thing... When I decided to go see him live, I took a mate with me. I clearly remember saying to him 'there's no way this dude can pull this off live'. Boy was I wrong. That band was ASTONISHING. Absolutely mind bogglingly good. I had never seen a band that could play so quiet you could hear the cash registers at the bar, and then so ferociously loud it was like Armageddon.

I miss him too.

DLR Bridge
11-27-2012, 08:36 PM
I had never seen a band that could play so quiet you could hear the cash registers at the bar, and then so ferociously loud it was like Armageddon.

So insanely true. I'm sure you've heard the version from Bataclan of The Way Young Lovers Do. He's on absolute fire on that one. Somewhere in the middle of it, he busts into some obscure early tune of his from the Gods and Monsters days with Gary Lucas. Right at the transition, you can hear a chick squeal and probably wet her pants at the delight of what he was doing. He played the most ripping guitar on that one, all the while doing all of that crazy vocalese stuff he was also proficient at. As he wound the song down, he threw in a couple of verses from Nina Simone's All That I Ask acapello to an utterly silent room, like you said, pins dropping across town could probably be heard. He finishes and then there's an eruption of cheers from easily 800 people or more. Damn, such command of an audience.

Can you post it? I don't have a clue how. I think it was over a little more than 12 minutes.

ashstralia
11-29-2012, 04:37 AM
I just googled who Jeff Buckley is, what a tragic story :-(

His music was pretty special. Check it out.

I couldn't have known when I saw him that he had a little more than fifteen months to live. I thought he'd dominate the airwaves for decades with his amazing oeuvre. He clued me in to the fact that 'big rock' doesn't necessarily have to be 'big', or 'rock'.

Radiohead and probably other similar bands bear this out. He had a hellava lot of imitators posthumously,
They say that's the sincerest form of flattery? :flame:

vandeleur
11-29-2012, 04:46 AM
When I saw SRV in 88 i thought this guy is gonna get bigger and better he was on top of his game and I thought no one can touch this guy live .
less than two years later , Just shows you never know,

ashstralia
11-29-2012, 04:52 AM
Imagine the people who saw that gig? Or the guy who didn't get to da chopper...

Life's a random number generator.

vandeleur
11-29-2012, 04:55 AM
Your not wrong

chefcraig
11-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Imagine the people who saw that gig? Or the guy who didn't get to da chopper...

Life's a random number generator.

Brings to mind the happenstance or myth regarding the 1959 plane crash that took the lives of the pilot (Roger Peterson), Ritchie Valens, J. P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson and Buddy Holly, which supposedly spared the lives of Waylon Jennings and Tommy Allsup over the mere toss of a coin flip. You could make a convincing argument that the future history of beat music was irreparably changed that day, and wound up providing the planet with the somewhat bizarre anthem "American Pie" that filled the airwaves in 1972, written and performed by Don McLean. Even more drastically nuts, this results in a series of crude teen-sex movies based upon the title,and finally, with a perverse take on the tune performed by the highly unlikely trio of McLean, an obviously and truly embarrassingly wasted or intoxicated Nanci Griffith (who at one time seemed to be the arbiter of good taste and charm) doing an awful latter-day Bob Dylan impression, along with of all people, fucking Garth Brooks.

Look on in horror, friends...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1MlHlUB0F4

katina
11-29-2012, 02:34 PM
So insanely true. I'm sure you've heard the version from Bataclan of The Way Young Lovers Do. He's on absolute fire on that one. Somewhere in the middle of it, he busts into some obscure early tune of his from the Gods and Monsters days with Gary Lucas. Right at the transition, you can hear a chick squeal and probably wet her pants at the delight of what he was doing. He played the most ripping guitar on that one, all the while doing all of that crazy vocalese stuff he was also proficient at. As he wound the song down, he threw in a couple of verses from Nina Simone's All That I Ask acapello to an utterly silent room, like you said, pins dropping across town could probably be heard. He finishes and then there's an eruption of cheers from easily 800 people or more. Damn, such command of an audience.

Can you post it? I don't have a clue how. I think it was over a little more than 12 minutes.

Live from the Bataclan, The Way Young Lovers Do is the second song. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbKOcszcfJI

ashstralia
12-02-2012, 05:39 AM
I'm listening to Grace.

Superlatives superfluous.

Fucking amazing album.

fryingdutchman
05-10-2013, 05:23 AM
I just found out that there's a movie about the Buckley family...and Jeff specifically.

I apologize if this was posted before, but here is info about "Greetings from Tim Buckley"

http://www.denverpost.com/movies/ci_23201201/movie-review-jeff-buckley-biopic-greetings-from-tim

fryingdutchman
05-10-2013, 05:24 AM
http://youtu.be/pyPoTI-59HU

ashstralia
05-10-2013, 05:38 AM
I think chef mentioned this recently, fdutch...

Gotta hunt it down

DLR Bridge
05-10-2013, 06:00 AM
That movie looks promising.

Here's an awesome song written about/for Jeff....

http://youtu.be/ZTwaK6SIgXA

DLR Bridge
05-10-2013, 06:03 AM
and this one...

http://youtu.be/rlvtEbiseRc

ashstralia
05-10-2013, 06:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO0svGjVEP8

binnie
05-10-2013, 08:07 AM
and this one...

http://youtu.be/rlvtEbiseRc

I have to say that firs Chris Cornell record - 'Euphoria Morning' - is absolutely superb. It would easily be one of my desert island discs.

binnie
05-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that the demos Jeff left for material after 'Grace' are somewhat underwhelming.....

ashstralia
05-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that the demos Jeff left for material after 'Grace' are somewhat underwhelming.....

you gotta remember binnie; 'demo's' is the keyword. there are some diamonds in there.. who wouldn't feel the pressure of even getting to 80% of the pure mastery of 'grace'?

binnie
05-10-2013, 08:27 AM
you gotta remember binnie; 'demo's' is the keyword. there are some diamonds in there.. who wouldn't feel the pressure of even getting to 80% of the pure mastery of 'grace'?

Grace is a wonderful record.

However, if I were to rock the apple cart I would suggest that it is remarkably generous to label someone a 'genius' (which many people do) on the strength of one record, especially when 3 or the 10 songs on it were not written by the 'genius' in question.

Don't get me wrong: it's a good album, but people do have a tendency to get carried away with heaping the accolades on it (largely because of the man's untimely death). To my ears, the demos do not suggets that subsequent material would have repeated the trick.........

DLR Bridge
05-10-2013, 08:30 AM
I couldn't say if you're the only one, but I liked a lot of it. If he went with the Tom Verlaine produced My Sweetheart The Drunk recordings as his follow up to Grace, it may not have faired as well, but it still had great songs on it.

His more tripped out (literally) demos from his time in Memphis showed true artistic promise, I think. I loved We Could Be So Happy If We Wanted To Be, Demon John and Murder Suicide Meteor Slave. The guy truly had a different idea in his head of how he wanted to be perceived. Kind of like Kurt with In Utero. He defiantly chipped away the commercial glitz the record company soaked Nevermind in. Jeff was trying to do the same thing. He was always at odds with Sony. Had he lived, he'd be on an indie label and probably a lot happier.

ashstralia
05-10-2013, 08:33 AM
well, i was a huge fan from the moment i first heard 'last goodbye' in '94. actually pulled the car over to the side of the road and shut the engine off...

you're never gonna convince me. :)

so glad i got to see him live; elbows on the stage front row... that was life changing.

ashstralia
05-10-2013, 08:36 AM
from what i've read, in memphis he was NOT in a good place mentally..

more support may have helped; we'll never know. :(

DLR Bridge
05-10-2013, 08:44 AM
The book Dream Brother has a decect account of his mental state in Memphis. He was a bit of a mess alright. I think he was starting to see the light which is what's so damn sad. He was brimming with inspiration and so psyched to meet up with his band. You've got to hit rock bottom to bounce back up. He was starting his bounce.

ashstralia
05-10-2013, 08:48 AM
that's the one i was thinking of, Bridge. it's been years since i read it tho...

DLR Bridge
05-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Grace is a wonderful record.

However, if I were to rock the apple cart I would suggest that it is remarkably generous to label someone a 'genius' (which many people do) on the strength of one record, especially when 3 or the 10 songs on it were not written by the 'genius' in question.

Don't get me wrong: it's a good album, but people do have a tendency to get carried away with heaping the accolades on it (largely because of the man's untimely death). To my ears, the demos do not suggets that subsequent material would have repeated the trick.........

Genius is a strong word, I agree. I'd describe him as immensely talented. Check out the full Sin-E recordings. Proof some people are just born with it.

Regarding the songs he had not written, his takes on them were remarkably inventive for some kid in his mid twenties.

DLR Bridge
05-10-2013, 08:57 AM
that's the one i was thinking of, Bridge. it's been years since i read it tho...

Have you ever read Pure Drop? It's not bad, but the author pretty much shits on Jeff's Mom for how she's handling his legacy. He gets pretty down right mean about her as a person, which is pretty pathetic.

ashstralia
05-10-2013, 08:59 AM
look, not to brag, but if you'd have seen him live... holy fuck he was on.

i've kept a scrapbook for years; here's page 1 including ticket and pick...

ELVIS
05-10-2013, 09:00 AM
It won't embed the vid...

:elvis:

ashstralia
05-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Have you ever read Pure Drop? It's not bad, but the author pretty much shits on Jeff's Mom for how she's handling his legacy. He gets pretty down right mean about her as a person, which is pretty pathetic.

as you know, i've had email exchanges with Mary, i think she's done a great job with his legacy. i won't be reading that book.

ashstralia
05-10-2013, 09:02 AM
well thanks, king!!

ELVIS
05-10-2013, 09:04 AM
I was just finally getting around to checking out this thread...;)

DLR Bridge
05-30-2013, 01:44 PM
The article in this magazine is great and has good news. A boxed set is in the works of all of Jeff's WFMU (radio station for Upsala College in NJ) live performances.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/31/y5a4a7us.jpg

Zing!
05-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Cool - I'd buy it!

DLR Bridge
06-01-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm pretty sure his version of Dylan's Satisfied Mind on disc two of Mystery White Boy is from WFMU. That's an absolute gem. It would be nice to get a few more discs of stuff like that.

Zing!
06-04-2013, 01:42 PM
well, i was a huge fan from the moment i first heard 'last goodbye' in '94. actually pulled the car over to the side of the road and shut the engine off....

I did almost the exact same thing when I first heard his live version of Hallelujah. I was hooked by the first verse. That's the version all others must compare to.

ashstralia
03-14-2015, 05:54 AM
Just because.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XjO4IenAyUw