PDA

View Full Version : TSA Seeks Permission to Conduct “Security Assessments” on Highways

ELVIS
12-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Link! (http://gsnmagazine.com/node/27937?c=federal_agencies_legislative)

TSA is seeking permission from the Office of Management and Budget to conduct security-related assessments during site visits to approximately 750 owners and operators of highway transportation assets (such as long-haul trucks) as well as 140 public transportation agencies.

Under an initiative known as the Highway Baseline Assessment for Security Enhancement (BASE) program, TSA will seek information that can help it develop policies and programs. “TSA’s Highway BASE program seeks to establish the current state of security gaps and implemented countermeasures throughout the highway mode of transportation by posing questions to major transportation asset owners and operators,” says a TSA notice published in the Federal Register on Nov. 30.

Similarly, TSA wants to conduct on-site assessments with public agencies that run buses, rail transit, long-distance rail and less common types of service, such as cable cars, inclined planes, funiculars and automated guide way systems.

The public has until Dec. 31 to submit comments about this TSA information-gathering request. Further information is available from Susan Perkins, of TSA, at 571-227-3398 or TSAPRA@dhs.gov.

:elvis:

ELVIS
12-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Nobody cares about this ??

Nickdfresh
12-04-2012, 11:52 AM
The TSA regulating truckers?

ELVIS
12-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Yeah...

VAiN
12-04-2012, 10:48 PM
This is probably the first step to checkpoints and the like on public roads in the name of security. It has worked so well in airports... it's a grate time to be alive.

Nitro Express
12-04-2012, 11:10 PM
I thought Bin Laden was dead. Time to toss the TSA I say.

ELVIS
12-04-2012, 11:12 PM
The police state checkpoints are right around the corner if the people don't wake up and speak out against this bullshit...

FORD
12-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Runnin Monday Tuesday Wednesday....
Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday....
What have I done???

Nitro Express
12-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Frankly I think the sheeple deserve it but the thing is I don't want to deal with it. If I could exclude myself and just observe, I think the people deserve the Full Monty for their stupidity.

twonabomber
12-05-2012, 12:54 AM
I dunno.

Around here, the locals have the highways (or maybe just US Route 90) in their sights, but under the guise of drug enforcement and not terrorism. They'll pull cars with out of state plates over for the smallest infraction hoping it leads to a big drug bust...and a lot of times it does.

ZahZoo
12-05-2012, 09:47 AM
There's the obvious trafficking in illegal goods and all... that's been going on forever. But what exactly is the major threat that this program is intending to address?

Airline safety is obvious given the high profile target capability... But what's the major threat on the roadways... beyond drunks, bad drivers and idiots texting?

ELVIS
12-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Bin Laden, of course...

BITEYOASS
12-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Bring back the US Customs agents at airports, pay the FAA agents on aircraft a decent fuckin' wage and let the state police do the screening at airports with domestic routes only. This will allow the TSA to be scraped permanently.

ZahZoo
12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Bin Laden, of course...

Yeah, yeah, chasing ghosts... but we don't have car bombings and all the crap that seems to be almost daily occurrences across the middle east. So that's why I question "Roadway Safety"..?

ELVIS
12-05-2012, 11:56 AM
It's not about safety...

It's about acclimating people to authoritarian control, I'm afraid...

Nickdfresh
12-05-2012, 02:43 PM
The police state checkpoints are right around the corner if the people don't wake up and speak out against this bullshit...

Um, you've gone through a police check point looking for DWI'ers, registration and inspection or seat-belt violations?

How about the fucking gov'ts NEED to inspect and keep track of some of these drug addled truckers working for the bottom feeder companies...,

Blaze
12-06-2012, 04:34 AM
I recall when I first surfaced my shock at seeing the gateways at the on and off exits of the interstate, but Nick makes a very valid point about the "NEED to inspect and keep track of some of these drug addled truckers working for the bottom feeder companies...,"

Nitro Express
12-06-2012, 05:03 AM
If terrorism is such a problem how come the US Federal Government doesn't secure our borders and how come it threatens states that finally get fed up and try to do it themselves? Explain that one. Meanwhile the US Federal Government wants to increase surveillance and inspection on the citizens of the country. As each year goes by they want to do it more and more even when we haven't had a terrorist attack in over a decade.

Trucks are already inspected. It's called the Port of Entry.

Blaze
12-06-2012, 12:40 PM
If terrorism is such a problem how come the US Federal Government doesn't secure our borders and how come it threatens states that finally get fed up and try to do it themselves? Explain that one. Meanwhile the US Federal Government wants to increase surveillance and inspection on the citizens of the country. As each year goes by they want to do it more and more even when we haven't had a terrorist attack in over a decade.

Trucks are already inspected. It's called the Port of Entry.
It is interstate bottom feeder companies that pose a greater risk. MAINLY it is bottom feeder companies... When it comes to drug addled drivers.

Nevertheless, many (if not most) REAL small businesses have been shut out by so-called "small business" and the need to bottom feed is fact for actual small businesses; predatory business practices are bad, no matter if so-called "small business" or real small business.