PDA

View Full Version : Favorite albums of 2012

Dave's Bitch
12-06-2012, 07:12 AM
As the year is coming to an end I thought it would be nice to take a look back at what has been a pretty good year for Rock and Metal and hear what some of you guys favorite albums have been

The big three for me have easily been Kiss's "Monster",Aerosmith's "Music from Another Dimension" and of course ADKOT.But there have been a lot of other albums I have really enjoyed,To name a few

Testament - Dark Roots of earth
Overkill - The Electric Age
Grave - Endless Posession of Souls
Lamb of God - Resolution

What albums have you guys liked this year?

Zing!
12-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball

The Avett Brothers - The Carpenter

Matt White
12-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Van Halen: ADKOT

Buckethead: Electric Sea

Regina Spektor: What We Saw from the Cheap Seats

Animal Collective: Centipede Hz

Grizzly Bear: Shields

Soundgarden: King Animal

Matt White
12-06-2012, 01:31 PM
And.......

VOIVOD: NOTHINGFACE

just noticed it was added to Itunes............

FUCK YEAH!!!

STELLAR CD

aboot damn time!!!

binnie
12-06-2012, 02:51 PM
I've been thinking long and hard about this - there's a difference (in my mind at least) between 'favourite' and 'best', so I;ll have to mull it over. You always forget records that come out early in the year......

WARF
12-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Van Halen - ADKOT
Goatwhore - Blood For The Master
Pink Floyd - The Wall (re-release)
Canibal Corpse - Torture
Iron Maiden - En Vivo
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Melvins - Freak Puke
Rush - Clockwork Angels
Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania
The Darkness - Hot Cakes
Kiss - Monster
ZZ TOP - La Futura

Mr. Vengeance
12-06-2012, 05:59 PM
I better sleep on this and go through my purchases this year before adding...I have a few off the top of my head, but I'll miss a few, I'm sure. Actually, I'll throw out the three I know for sure now and come back later...

VH- ADKOT
Joey Ramone- ...Ya Know
Bob Dylan- Tempest

chefcraig
12-06-2012, 06:41 PM
VH-ADKOT
RUSH-Clockwork Angels
THE WHO-Live in Texas '75

Everything else I bought this year was originally released in the 50s, 60s or 1970s. Not counting live DVDs, mind you.

Coyote
12-06-2012, 08:52 PM
VH - ADKOT
Muse - 2nd Law

ELVIS
12-07-2012, 08:25 AM
The only new album I've purchased since ADKOT was Paul McCartney Kisses On The Bottom...

So, I'm going with those two...

ADKOT

Kisses On The Bottom

:elvis:

Matt White
12-07-2012, 07:46 PM
almost forgot...........

Trampled by Turtles: Stars and Satellites

Bill Walker and Erdem Helvacioglu: Fields & Fences

The Cosmic Dead: The Exalted King

Elsewhere: Trippin-EP

Eternal Tapestry: Dawn in 2 Dimensions

Grouper: Violet Replacement Part I & II

tommyv
12-07-2012, 11:14 PM
What hasn't come off the turntable?

Top 3 of 2012 are probably 3 of the best that I've ever heard and will probably expand my "Top 10 of All Time" to 57. What can I say.. :)

Van Halen - ADKOT
No question. I even like Tattoo..I'm a sucker for a good pop tune. VH adds to their total and comes in at 7.2 of 57.

Black Country Communion - Afterglow
I had the opportunity to see and hear Joe Bonamassa a few weeks ago. I was completely blown away with the sounds that this guy gets out of his guitar. I picked up Afterglow and I only have two words...Holy Fuck.

Gary Clark Jr - Blak and Blu
Spectacular stuff. This guy and JB should be at the top of everyone's current guitar hero list.

Yeah..ADKOT is the only early year entry, but I'm comfortable that I didn't miss anything in between that and B&B.

All of the above on vinyl, of course.

philouze
12-08-2012, 08:47 AM
ADKOT
DONALD FAGEN - Sunken Condos
VAI - The Story Of Light
EUROPE - Bag Of Bones
JOE JACKSON - The Duke
FRANK ZAPPA - The 2012 Remasters... Not all of them, but those which are the best digital versions.

I think that's it !!

DLR Bridge
12-08-2012, 09:21 AM
I had no idea Steve Vai put something out. Is he attempting to sing still, or just ripping it up on guitar?

ashstralia
12-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Paul McCartney Kisses On The Bottom...

So, I'm going with those two...

ADKOT

Kisses On The Bottom

Yet another mystery becomes slightly less mysterious...:biggrin:

I bought that Vai cd. Sounds typically Vai.

philouze
12-08-2012, 09:32 AM
He's still ripping it up. The album is quite good actually, even though I don't like the song Gravity Storm. Have a listen to it if you can. I was afraid I'd be disappointed (again, having only heard Gravity) but it was a good surprise after all !!! ;)

Mr. Vengeance
12-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Oh, I have to add Joe Walsh- Analog Man. Excellent stuff!

binnie
12-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Van Halen - ADKOT
Goatwhore - Blood For The Master
Pink Floyd - The Wall (re-release)
Canibal Corpse - Torture
Iron Maiden - En Vivo
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Melvins - Freak Puke
Rush - Clockwork Angels
Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania
The Darkness - Hot Cakes
Kiss - Monster
ZZ TOP - La Futura

I'm digging the fact that WARF likes Goatwhore :D

78/84 guy
12-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Van Halen
Joe Walsh
Slash- studio & live
Zep. o2 live

envy_me
12-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Van Halen - ADKOT
Europe - Bag Of Bones

envy_me
12-09-2012, 03:17 PM
EUROPE - Bag Of Bones

I thought I was the only one :-)

binnie
12-09-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm holding off posting what I think are the 'best' records of the year, but my favourites (in no particular order) are as follows:

Wolfsbane - Save The World

It's just brilliant. Metal, fun, anthemic, seismic, these are the adjectives I think of whilst smiling with glee at the mere thought of this album. 'The Illusion Of Love' is just wonderful......

Therapy? - A Brief Crack of Light

Like Killing Joke having a knife fight with Husker Du. Therapy? have never been dull, and they've always sounded hungry. Weird, angular and relentlessly misanthropic but in a compelling 'let's just fucking burn the world' way.

Lamb Of God - Resolution

They never let you down. Blistering bursts of groove and thrash with Pantera-like infectiousness.

Overkill - The Electric Age

No-one puts you in contact with your inner teenager like Overkill. This - like their previous record, 'Ironbound' - sees them in a later-carrerr blossoming. I don't think I've listened to anything more regularly than this album this year.

Black Moth - The killing Jar

Doom mixed with late '60s dark and eerie sound scapes - at once heavy and poppy.

Black Breath - Sentenced To Life

Mental, absolutely mental black metal/thrash metal/ punk hybrid. It will break you, and it's easily one of the best metal records released this year.

Fear Factory - The Industrialist

The most influential metal band of the past 20 years? They're up their. The most unheralded? Easily. Cyber soundscapes and industrial thrash warfare mixed with some of the biggest hooks you'll hear in this lifetime.

Down - IV: The Purple EP.

Yeah it's an EP not an album. Well, fuck you. Down are one of the best bands ever to exist ever, and this slice of lo-fi bowel-shattering Doom is brilliantly understated metal madness.

Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth

A reunion album that isn't a bag of shit. Sure, it's not faultless, but it feels like a long, if slightly flabby, chinwag with an old friend 20 years down the line......

I essentially compiled these from the 'most played' on my IPOD. They must be my favourites, right?

WARF
12-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Paul McCartney Kisses On The Bottom...

:elvis:

Whatever floats your boat....

sadaist
12-10-2012, 01:00 AM
I only bought 1 album in 2012 and it has not left my trucks cd player. I listen to talk radio a lot, but when I need music it's ADKOT. Hmmm...I can't think of the last album I bought before this. Been several years. I think it would have been a Megadeth album mid 2000's. I just don't buy cd's at all any more.

Loons The Great
12-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth
Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral
The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Lisa Marie Presley - Storm & Grace
Tenacious D - Rize Of The Fenix
LaFutura - ZZ Top
Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Big Moon Ritual, The Magic Door
The Hives - Lex Hives
Rick Ross - God Forgives, I Don't
The Avett Brothers - The Carpenter
Bob Dylan - Tempest
Mumford & Sons - Babel
Soundgarden - King Animal
Pitbull - Global Warming
Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas
Lawless(Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Muddy Waters & The Rolling Stones Live At The Checkerboard Lounge, Chicago 1981 DVD/CD

sadaist
12-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Whatever floats your boat....

This from the guy with a band named Goatwhore on his list. lol

vaijuju
12-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Van Halen : ADKOT
Devin Townsend Project : Epicloud
Anathema : Weather Systems

philouze
12-10-2012, 03:18 AM
I thought I was the only one :-)

So did I!!!
IMHO, Europe is one of the very few bands not to repeat themselves. From 'Start From The Dark' to 'Bag Of Bones', every album is a killer. Not to mention the ones before the breakup. One of my favorite bands EVER. I wish I could see them live, cause they're absolutely Amazing up there.

envy_me
12-10-2012, 03:38 AM
So did I!!!
IMHO, Europe is one of the very few bands not to repeat themselves. From 'Start From The Dark' to 'Bag Of Bones', every album is a killer. Not to mention the ones before the breakup. One of my favorite bands EVER. I wish I could see them live, cause they're absolutely Amazing up there.

I am a huge fan! I used to hang out at their forum, but earlier this year it closed down, so... I came here. But I am still friends with many of the people there. We really had a great unity. We used to have Europe conventions, and dinners, meet ups between us fans. People from all over the world would come.

Have you heard Le Baron Boys demos? The best of them and unreleased :-/

philouze
12-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I've got the Le Baron Boys demos. Kick ass stuff. They should release them. Not just one or two tracks (Mr Government Man, for instance).
Recently, I found a live recording from 1981 in Upplands Vasby, with the late Marcel Jacob on bass. He played a few gigs with them in the beginning (he also co-wrote Scream Of Anger, which is on the bootleg in an early killer version). The sound is great. If you haven't heard it, do it !!!! ;)

Nitro Express
12-10-2012, 03:55 AM
The final countdown.....:biggrin:

envy_me
12-10-2012, 04:07 AM
Yeah, I've got the Le Baron Boys demos. Kick ass stuff. They should release them. Not just one or two tracks (Mr Government Man, for instance).
Recently, I found a live recording from 1981 in Upplands Vasby, with the late Marcel Jacob on bass. He played a few gigs with them in the beginning (he also co-wrote Scream Of Anger, which is on the bootleg in an early killer version). The sound is great. If you haven't heard it, do it !!!! ;)

The best song is Here Comes The Night. It's one of my favorite songs ever.
Where did you find the stuff with Marcel?

philouze
12-10-2012, 04:37 AM

I knew that one.. Priceless..

philouze
12-10-2012, 04:41 AM
The best song is Here Comes The Night. It's one of my favorite songs ever.
Where did you find the stuff with Marcel?

HCTN kicks serious butt.
The concert with Marcel is uploaded here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC8618C6BF5A879AE

I have the concert in mp3, if ya want it..

envy_me
12-10-2012, 04:44 AM
HCTN kicks serious butt.
The concert with Marcel is uploaded here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC8618C6BF5A879AE

I have the concert in mp3, if ya want it..

I have to check it out when i get home from work tonight:-)

Were you at the old message board? How can you be this huge fan without us knowing each other? I thought I knew everybody.

envy_me
12-10-2012, 04:45 AM

Lmao :D I think Joey Tempest commented this clip in a video :D

philouze
12-10-2012, 04:51 AM
Two things, my dear:

01. My mp3 copy sounds slightly better than the youtbe version. Let me know if you're interested, I'll upload it for you.
02. I was not at the Europe message board, hence we've never met before. The only two forums I'm a member of are Rotharmy & Zappateers, even though I'm more active here.

Hey, let's do a Europe thread !

envy_me
12-10-2012, 05:00 AM
I can send you my e-mail adress. You can send it to me there, if it's not too much trouble.
Or what's the easiest way for you?

I am a one band at a time girl :D I made this account in like 2009, bit started using it for real when that place closed down. I've been with Europe since 1999.

philouze
12-10-2012, 05:05 AM
I can send you my e-mail adress. You can send it to me there, if it's not too much trouble.
Or what's the easiest way for you?

I am a one band at a time girl :D I made this account in like 2009, bit started using it for real when that place closed down. I've been with Europe since 1999.

Of course you can send me your adress.. No problem !!
I've been a Europe fan since '86. Bought the TFC single, but always liked the B-side better !! (On Broken Wings)

envy_me
12-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Too bad you weren't there on the board. We had a pretty unique thing among the fans. Everybody was really close. And we got so much from the band in return. Both chats with the members, the band members knew many of us who were there. They met a friend of mine and she said "hi my name is...." and one of the guys was "oh, you're *nickname from the forum*" :D

philouze
12-10-2012, 05:14 AM
I like that closeness that the guys have with their fans... Should be an example !!!

envy_me
12-10-2012, 05:22 AM
I like that closeness that the guys have with their fans... Should be an example !!!

Really should be. Maybe it has to do with all of us fans being so loyal and supporting them when they were broken up. Most of these conventions happend before the reunion. It's all about loyalty. And it's nice to get some loyalty back :-)

philouze
12-10-2012, 05:26 AM
Very rare, indeed. It's just too bad about Kee... (Check out the bootleg section, there's something for ya)

Mr. Vengeance
12-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Another one I forgot, Everclear- Invisible Stars. Pretty much more of the same you'd expect, but Art really knows how to write a catchy tune, and his lyrics always speak to me.

envy_me
12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Very rare, indeed. It's just too bad about Kee... (Check out the bootleg section, there's something for ya)

I know. I love Kee. I perfer him over Norum. There is a picture of me and Kee in some thread. Don't remember which one it was. I'll see and get back to you :-) Or maybe I can post it here :-)

philouze
12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Another one I forgot, Everclear- Invisible Stars. Pretty much more of the same you'd expect, but Art really knows how to write a catchy tune, and his lyrics always speak to me.

I'll have a listen to this band..

philouze
12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I know. I love Kee. I perfer him over Norum. There is a picture of me and Kee in some thread. Don't remember which one it was. I'll see and get back to you :-) Or maybe I can post it here :-)

Cool, thanks !

binnie
12-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Dude, I thought I was the only one!

Everclear have always been a stunning band. True storytelling lyrics and Cheap Trick like pop-quirkiness......

envy_me
12-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Cool, thanks !

Here is me and Kee :D

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/envy_me_castor/Natur/keeM.jpg

philouze
12-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Jeezus H. Christ!!! Thanks a billion, miss !!!! The Europe fan I am is happy as fuck.

envy_me
12-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Hahaha :D i have met them all but i am worst at taking pictures so i don't have any.