X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Lessons Learned: The 2012 Van Halen Tour

As I mentioned a few days ago, 2012 was an amazing fucking year for us here at the Roth Army, arguably the best in our 13 year history....

The release of ADKOT in February was topped off by an outstanding tour...

Who knows what 2013 will bring, but let's look back at the tour, give some well-earned praise, while also providing some constructive criticism towards the future.....

These are in no particular order, feel free to add more of your own, I'm sure I forgot some more....

THE GOOD

1. Camera/Video policy - DDE informed us right off the bat that the band had absolutely no problem with fans bringing in cameras and/or video taping the shows.... They realized that for the most part, it's very hard to stop shows being taped nowadays, and while at times it's very annoying if people in front of you constantly have their phones up, it resulted in a numerous great video clips.....

2. New Old Songs on Setlist - What a refreshing change it was to hear classic songs that hadn't been played live by the band in 30 years, such as Hear About it Later, Girl Gone Bad, Outta Love Again, Hang 'Em High, and a few more....

3. Ed - What more can you say about this guy.... EVH was simply outstanding on the tour... He was so sharp, his playing so intricate, it was great to see... The only criticism that I could give Ed is that his guitar solo, for the most part, hasn't changed in 30 years....

4. Wolf - Gotsta give this young man his props.... He's become a legitimate bass player, and more than holds his own with the background vocals.... Is he Michael Anthony with the vocals? No, but in the same respect, he's not chop liver either. It was also good to see WVH loosen up onstage, not only alongside his father, but with DLR as well...

THE NOT SO GOOD

1. No Meet & Greet - This is nothing new. The prices for some of the VIP packages exceeded $1000 and still did not include a meet & greet with the band. For some fans, the VIP experience (backstage tour, food/drink, band trinkets, etc.) is sufficient enough even without meeting the band. I can respect that. But don't include me in that group, that's why I didn't purchase a VIP package, and won't in the future without a meet & greet.

2. The Stage - Bare Bones, putting it politely... Of course, it's been said that a band as legendary as Van Halen no longer NEEDS a costly 1984'ish stage show anymore... While that is true overall, it would have been nice to spice it up just a little bit... For the first few shows of the tour, they had a hockey stick'ish looking catwalk, but the only person that used it was Dave, and even he only used maybe once a show before it was removed from the stage....

3. The Intro - Van Halen has been arguably the best band ever in terms of how they opened a show. The intro to the 1984 show in Montreal gives the best example.... Even during the '07-'08 tour, with the spotlights around the crowd with the stage dark, it was pretty damn good.... But for whatever reason, the band decided to simply walk on stage this time around... I don't want to use the word disappointing, but I guess it's the best adjective to describe it....

4. The Headset - Talk about an uproar. Evoking comparisons to Justin Bieber, Dave used a headset for the first handful of tour dates, and it didn't go over well at all with the fanbase. Not to mention that he regularly had technical issues with it, which resulted in its demise.....

5. The "Encore" - I used quotes, because it really wasn't an encore. The band remained onstage, Dave called it an encore, and that was that. Perhaps in retrospect it's merely a formality for the band to go offstage, towel off, grab a quick drink, and then go back onstage a couple minutes later for the encore, but that's how it's supposed to work....

6. The Dance Floor - With the complete understanding that Dave is no longer 28 but rather 58 years old, I also agree with many here that his showmanship onstage has morphed into a combination of Fred Astaire and Judy Garland, hence the dance floor at center stage. Those that are expecting DLR to jump off the drum risers nowadays are sadly living in the past, but at the same time, watching Dave slide around on the dance floor is, how should I put it, interesting....

7. Dave's Vocals - Saved this one for last, and I have to tread on this one respectfully and lightly. Overall, Dave did a good job with his vocals, but there were numerous times throughout the shows that he unnecessarily went up one octave on the register, and it really made it sound much worse. I watch those videos over and over, and for the life of me I just can't understand why he continued to do it... I'm no singer, but wouldn't singing at a higher octave be WORSE for your voice if you're having problems hitting the notes? Also, I wanted to mention that he had issues keeping up with the faster tempos of the new songs....

That's about it... As I said, feel free to add your own....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

I agree with everything except I think it was necessary for Dave to hit the extra high cringe yelps because his normal mid-range voice (that we all love) is the area that gave him trouble the entire tour...

He's been having that same trouble with his mid-range on and off since Skyscraper, and that combined with an obvious illness this last tour, Dave's voice was pretty much toast...

he kicked ass here though...

Comment

• mh5150
      Foot Soldier
      • Mar 2010

The good for me was that I got to share th =VH= experience with my 12 year old son in Philly . We were the first ones in the parking lot that day arriving around 1pm. He really enjoyed the tailgaiting .
      Now he wants to know when they will come around again?

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• Fairwrning
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Only thing I was disappointed with was lack of new tunes...I know it takes time to learn em but what else do these guys have to do all day..The band,I think, could have played anything..Dave was suspect..

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

This is probably the best performance of the entire tour...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Fairwrning
            Only thing I was disappointed with was lack of new tunes...I know it takes time to learn em but what else do these guys have to do all day..The band,I think, could have played anything..Dave was suspect..
            Most of the time they played four new tunes (She's the Woman, Tattoo, China Town, The Trouble With Never), that's not enough ??

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Fairwrning
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

OK..wrong new tunes...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                OK..wrong new tunes...
                Oh OK, now that's debatable....

Stay Frosty would've been nice, but like I said before the tour started, the band uses Ice Cream Man as a nice break for several minutes.... Can't really do that with Stay Frosty, if you substitute it, of course...

But As Is or Honeybabysweetiedoll? Oh yeah, would've been nice....

Comment

• Fairwrning
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Imagine " Outta Space" live..

Comment

• vandeleur
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Sep 2009

One of the good things from this tour ... This pic sums up a lot .

image.jpg
                    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

I thought they should have combined Ice Cream Man and Stay Frosty...

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

This tune's ferocious even as an instrumental.
                        Had to throw it in the mix even though it's a shame Dave's not in there.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          I thought they should have combined Ice Cream Man and Stay Frosty...
                          That's a real interesting idea right there, I say...

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by vandeleur
                            This pic sums up a lot .
                            Yeah, that Ed is really Ed Grimley...

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

a good lesson to be learned from the 2012 tour is if you are anywhere near a scheduled show...GO!!!!!

I have no regrets, but maybe one more show would have been about perfect.
                              sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...