PDA

View Full Version : Irving Azoff to Leave Live Nation/Front Line Mgmt

ZahZoo
01-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Irving Azoff to Leave Live Nation
By BEN SISARIO

Irving Azoff, the executive chairman of Live Nation Entertainment, the concert and ticketing giant, is leaving the company, Live Nation announced on Monday.

As part of his exit, Liberty Media, already one of Live Nation’s largest shareholders, will buy 1.7 million of Mr. Azoff’s shares, giving Liberty a 26.4 percent stake in Live Nation. According to recently filed corporate disclosure documents, Mr. Azoff controlled about 2.6 million shares in Live Nation, either directly or through a family trust.

Mr. Azoff, 65, has been one of the most powerful executives and artist managers in music for four decades, and Live Nation has been only his most recent endeavor. Along with Michael Rapino, who remains the company’s chief executive, Mr. Azoff helped organize the merger in early 2010 of Live Nation — then largely a concert promotions company — and Ticketmaster, which also included Mr. Azoff’s Front Line management business.

Live Nation will continue to own Front Line, but Mr. Azoff will take some of his longtime management clients with him, including the Eagles, Christina Aguilera, Van Halen and Steely Dan. Mr. Azoff said that leaving would relieve him of what he described as burdensome corporate duties, and let him work again in his preferred mode as an entrepreneur.

“It’s no secret that I haven’t been a fan of public companies for some time,” Mr. Azoff said by phone from Mexico, where he was spending the holidays. “I looked at my calendar for the beginning of next year and I was able to clear 90 days for things that went into dealing with a public company, which I can now devote to productive work.”

He cited “taxes and estate planning” as the reasons for leaving on the last day of the year.

Mr. Azoff will join the board of Starz, the cable television company also owned by Liberty Media. Mr. Azoff also serves on the boards of Clear Channel Communications and the media and entertainment company IMG.

Live Nation announced Mr. Azoff’s departure after the market closed on Monday, but news of it was first reported by Bloomberg News before the end of the trading day. Live Nation’s stock closed at $9.31, up about 3.7 percent for the day.

Live Nation did not announce who would be taking over as chairman in Mr. Azoff’s absence.

In addition to its holdings in Live Nation, Liberty has a major stake in Sirius XM Radio, and has spent the last several months in the process of taking that company over. But when asked whether he might take over from the recently departed Mel Karmazin as chief executive of Sirius, Mr. Azoff scoffed.

“I’m never going to work for a public company again,” he said. “Any public company.”

A version of this article appeared in print on 01/01/2013, on page B2 of the NewYork edition with the headline: Chairman Exits Live Nation; Liberty Media to Raise Stake.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/irving-azoff-to-leave-live-nation/?smid=tw-mediadecodernyt&seid=auto

ELVIS
01-02-2013, 02:43 PM
This is a popular thread...:biggrin:

DLR Bridge
01-02-2013, 02:59 PM
One post shy of my New Years Resolution thread. There's still time.

ELVIS
01-02-2013, 03:01 PM
For what ??

DLR Bridge
01-02-2013, 03:04 PM
To discuss how the fiscal cliff will affect Irving or... make a resolution. You pick.

ZahZoo
01-02-2013, 03:05 PM

No one is dancing and getting the homophobes all worked up I guess...

Zing!
01-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Maybe we should discuss what Irving Azoff's New Years resolution is. Besides making boatloads of more money, that is.

ELVIS
01-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Maybe you should read the article ??

Zing!
01-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Maybe you should have a sense of humor Elbow.

ELVIS
01-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Oh, I do...

Terry
01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
I dunno...does anyone have a high level of interest about who is promoting/booking/representing Van Halen these days?

If it isn't Azoff, it'll be someone else...who gives a fuck long as the band plays...

DLR Bridge
01-02-2013, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't say a high level. But a level. Doesn't Dave still have separate representation from the 3 Twins? Ultimately, whom ever ends up with the gig will be under the pressure of not fucking things up.

SunisinuS
01-03-2013, 02:43 AM
Well whoever it is...I want the 2nd half of the Double Album debuted in Japan and then 2014's release starting to be promoted for #9.

ELVIS
01-03-2013, 09:38 AM
No promotion is good promotion...

ZahZoo
01-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't say a high level. But a level. Doesn't Dave still have separate representation from the 3 Twins? Ultimately, whom ever ends up with the gig will be under the pressure of not fucking things up.

Yes, Dave is represented by Russell "The Diamond Dog" and the 3 Twins are now under management by Kody "The Official Brown Sound SpokesDog Tone Chaser"... errr Yapper Bone Chaser... I meant.

The pressures must be enormous... I can only assume Azoff has assigned a woman to oversee all this intense Van Halen activity. We all know most men will fuck things up especially when doing nothing at all... :bigwink:

If there's a plus in any of this... maybe we'll see some sort of activity due to the band's management being freed up from all his big corporate bullshit duties. Who knows Irving might get bored and decide to "manage" something and get all those lazy-assed musicians working for their dinner again...

ELVIS
01-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Well, whatever the case, someone fucked up and I blame Irving...

http://allthesingleslately.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/christina-aguilera-crotchless-chaps.jpghttp://barblogger.pubclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/VanHalenDavidLeeRoth.jpg

:elvis:

ZahZoo
01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I can only hope you are referring to the headset mic and not the chaps and bikini briefs..?

ELVIS
01-03-2013, 11:22 AM
I was implying something like maybe their trunks got on the wrong planes...

TJMKID
01-03-2013, 12:35 PM
If there's a plus in any of this... maybe we'll see some sort of activity due to the band's management being freed up from all his big corporate bullshit duties. Who knows Irving might get bored and decide to "manage" something and get all those lazy-assed musicians working for their dinner again...

I would think Live Nation is the reason VH is not doing any one-off gigs lately. Some corporate asshole telling the band it's not "cost effective" to do a spontaneous gig somewhere.

I miss the old days --- where famous bands could just say "Hey mates, let's fucking play" and then head to a small dive somewhere and do a surprise gig for their fans. I don't see any reason why VH couldnt do this in LA at the Roxy or Whiskey and perhaps show off a new track they might be working on or an old demo from way back.

Get back to Dave's mantra of --- "I sing for my supper".

Zing!
01-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Did =VH= do a one-off Tiger Woods corporate gig on the 2012 tour like they did for the 07/08? That had to have been a hefty payday for an hour and a half of work.

DONNIEP
01-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Didn't they do a corporate gig in Florida?

Zing!
01-03-2013, 01:39 PM
That rings a bell. I know Jimmy Buffett lines his pockets with spending money during the winter months playing 'Private Event' type shows for corporations like Wells Fargo, etc. It might not be common knowledge if he didn't generally list these on his website. Still, is there any chance of Van Halen playing a private gig without someone leaking the news?

DLR Bridge
01-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Ok, I'll leak this because I know you're a good guy Zing. I've privately hired VH to play my daughters 4th birthday in my backyard this coming July. We have an above ground pool, so bring your franken striped trunks.

ZahZoo
01-03-2013, 01:49 PM

Yep, May 16, 2012 for SAP at the Orange County Convention center.

Little Texan
01-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Still, is there any chance of Van Halen playing a private gig without someone leaking the news?

http://waxwanedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/spicoli5.jpg

I hear that one, Jeff Spicoli, hired them to play his 50th birthday party, recently.

Zing!
01-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Ok, I'll leak this because I know you're a good guy Zing. I've privately hired VH to play my daughters 4th birthday in my backyard this coming July. We have an above ground pool, so bring your franken striped trunks.

Have EVH flip-flops, will travel!

ZahZoo
01-03-2013, 02:02 PM
I was implying something like maybe their trunks got on the wrong planes...

I'd have to say her "trunks" made it to the right place!! :cool8:

DLR Bridge
01-03-2013, 02:07 PM

It may not be going anywhere, but it's picking up steam.

ZahZoo
01-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Every thread's a party around here... good, bad and/or ugly...

TJMKID
01-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Did =VH= do a one-off Tiger Woods corporate gig on the 2012 tour like they did for the 07/08? That had to have been a hefty payday for an hour and a half of work.

Yeah I'm sure VH made some nice coin playing that Florida convention show. Probably banked at least $500,000 from that gig.

But what about playing music just for the fun of it? Fuck the corporate attitude --- EVH calls up Dave to make sure he's not dicking around in Japan with the monks, and tells his lazy brother and son to meet him down at the Whiskey on a certain night for a 2-hour gig. Put the word out through the normal Twitter/Facebook channels and plenty of fans will show up and pay $100 for admission. Voila --- everybody wins!

Best part is that it's free publicity once the cell phone videos start propagating through the Interwebs. Nice way to get fans stoked for any 2013 shows stateside or overseas.

Just make sure no Asian fucker grabs too much face time on the smartphone vids!

:nono:

Va Beach VH Fan
01-03-2013, 07:56 PM
EVH calls up Dave to make sure he's not dicking around in Japan with the monks, and tells his lazy brother and son to meet him down at the Whiskey on a certain night for a 2-hour gig. Put the word out through the normal Twitter/Facebook channels and plenty of fans will show up and pay $100 for admission. Voila --- everybody wins!

Actually they did just that during the Bette era....

DONNIEP
01-03-2013, 08:01 PM

That video sucked donkey balls...what a fucking disgrace.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-03-2013, 08:05 PM
That video sucked donkey balls...what a fucking disgrace.

Well, I never said if it was good or not....

The parts with the crowd outside were pretty cool....

DONNIEP
01-03-2013, 08:08 PM
The part with the crowd was good, for sure. It's that fat scraggly dude screeching on stage that kills it.

TJMKID
01-03-2013, 08:11 PM

Wasn't that a promo gig for the "Live: RHRN" videotape and double-live CD they released around that time? Typical corporate maneuver for a McHaggis-led band.

Just go out and fucking play for the joy of putting smiles on faces. Get the juices flowing again --- and I dont mean what's coming out of Ed's surgically reduced colon!

:yo:

Va Beach VH Fan
01-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Wasn't that a promo gig for the "Live: RHRN" videotape and double-live CD they released around that time? Typical corporate maneuver for a McHaggis-led band.

Just go out and fucking play for the joy of putting smiles on faces. Get the juices flowing again --- and I dont mean what's coming out of Ed's surgically reduced colon!

:yo:

No, I just watched a bit of it again until I threw up all over my monitor watching Bette....

It was an 15th anniversary show of the band at the Whisky....

I also noticed in that video that at the time the lot across the street from the Whisky was empty....

I took this pic in February the day of the Forum gig, there's a white building there now, probably some expensive real estate....

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/2012-02-08130834.jpg

DONNIEP
01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I checked it out again too. Big mistake. It's just a complete disgrace.

TJMKID
01-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Officially, it was a one-off gig to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the signing of the band to Warner Bros.

However, I'm sure McHaggis wouldnt agree to it unless it was used as a promo video to help sell more copies of the "Live: RHRN" double CD and VHS tape. No way he's agreeing to celebrate something that Dave was a part of and not him!

"Live: RHRN" came out on Feb. 23, 1993 --- and the Whiskey video was on MTV around the same time (you can see the timestamp at 2:45 in the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AlULXGgsM4

No, I just watched a bit of it again until I threw up all over my monitor watching Bette....

I also noticed in that video that at the time the lot across the street from the Whisky was empty....

I took this pic in February the day of the Forum gig, there's a white building there now, probably some expensive real estate....

jhale667
01-03-2013, 08:51 PM

On Sunset - "probably"? ;) More like astronomic.

DONNIEP
01-03-2013, 09:05 PM
It just doesn't look the same during the day. Then again it wasn't what I was expecting - guess I was waiting for Dave to jump out :)

Va Beach VH Fan
01-03-2013, 09:21 PM
On Sunset - "probably"? ;) More like astronomic.

I was waiting for you to chime in, bastard... ;)

jhale667
01-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Pretty sure I hurled in the lot where the white building is now...:lmao:

Zing!
01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Yeah I'm sure VH made some nice coin playing that Florida convention show. Probably banked at least $500,000 from that gig.

But what about playing music just for the fun of it? Fuck the corporate attitude --- EVH calls up Dave to make sure he's not dicking around in Japan with the monks, and tells his lazy brother and son to meet him down at the Whiskey on a certain night for a 2-hour gig. Put the word out through the normal Twitter/Facebook channels and plenty of fans will show up and pay $100 for admission. Voila --- everybody wins!

Right on, but lawyers start pissing themselves whenever their clients start saying they want to 'do something for the fans.'

Stones, yes. They've been known to do this very thing (and with more lawyers for sure). Van Halen, well... I guess your net worth has to be less than $400 or more than $400 million before you can start doing things 'for the fans' again.

TJMKID
01-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Right on, but lawyers start pissing themselves whenever their clients start saying they want to 'do something for the fans.'

Stones, yes. They've been known to do this very thing (and with more lawyers for sure). Van Halen, well... I guess your net worth has to be less than $400 or more than $400 million before you can start doing things 'for the fans' again.

Fuck all the lawyers --- I aint met one yet worth his weight in dog shit (well, perhaps the OJ dream team earned their paychecks).

Hard to believe anyone from Live Nation could stop VH from doing a one-off gig somewhere simply for the love of playing to a live audience. If there really is contractual language that states "No performances by Van Halen shall proceed forthwith unless there is prior approval by Live Nation corporate board" --- then the music biz is more fucked then even I can imagine!

Carmine
01-04-2013, 05:19 AM

They did one in Toronto on the 07/08 tour too...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-04-2013, 08:22 AM

Yup, for Research in Motion, or RIM, the makers of Blackberry....

Betcha they won't be doing that again anytime soon...

Never was
01-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Given RIMs management IQ they actually think thats a good way to spend what little cash they have left.

TJMKID
01-04-2013, 11:08 AM

So Jeff Spicoli wasn't fucking with us after all --- Van Halen will actually play private gigs (ie, for the right price)?

Makes me wish I was a kid that came outta Bill Gates' dick!

:doh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9huSs0g67c

ZahZoo
01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
I would suggest VH will only do private performances... when it can be very, very conveniently scheduled when the band is actively touring and nobody has to go out of their way in the least bit... then for the right price. Not exactly open for hire...

TJMKID
01-04-2013, 12:42 PM
I would suggest VH will only do private performances... when it can be very, very conveniently scheduled when the band is actively touring and nobody has to go out of their way in the least bit... then for the right price. Not exactly open for hire...

I wonder if this is how a current conversation would go between EVH and Live Nation --- and if true, the whole music biz needs to be shut down permanently and all we'll need is the memories:

EVH: "Hello, can I speak to someone in the Performance Pre-Approval Dept., please?"

Live Nation: "Sure, please hold."

EVH: "Yeah, yeah, yeah." [lights up an electronic nicotine device]

Live Nation: "Hello, this is Dept. Manager for Performance Pre-Approval -- how can I help you, sir?"

EVH: "This is Eddie Van Halen --- I wanna play a gig at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go club on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood."

Live Nation: "Oh, I see. What is the reason for this performance request, Mr. Van Halen?"

EVH: "Gee, fuck it, man --- I just wanna fuckin' play with my band. I'm a musician, that's all I know how to do."

Live Nation: "Yes, I see. Are you currently on tour with full surety bond and liability insurance coverage, sir?"

EVH: "No, I'm sitting at home on my ass while my colon repairs itself. I'm fucking bored to death and I wanna play, man!"

Live Nation: "Oh, I see. Well I'm afraid we can't approve this performance request, sir. Current laws and regulations require us to issue full surety bonds and proper liability coverage for the performance, sir. How much income would you expect to make from this one performance, sir?"

EVH: "Fuck if I know. Probably charge $50 a head at the door --- maybe 300 fans total at full capacity. I might just do a free gig, man --- I'm a fucking musician!"

Live Nation: "Sorry, sir, we don't operate like that. You are under full contract with Live Nation and we have shareholders to answer to, Mr. Van Halen. This performance would not meet our stringent minimum requirements for a profitable event as outlined in our company mission statement. I'm afraid we'll have to deny your performance request. Have a nice day, sir!"

EVH: "FUCKING PRICKS! You better all be wearing a cup the next time I talk to you assholes. I hate this fucking business!"

Live Nation: [click]

:flame:

mh5150
01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Priceless !!!!^^^^^^^

Zing!
01-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Need to work Kody into the story somehow, then it would be perfect.

mh5150
01-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Need to work Kody into the story somehow, then it would be perfect.

Who do you think is going to open the show? Kody doing dog tricks like putting up xmas lights.....

Zing!
01-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I guess that makes about as much sense as Russell and company showing up on the jumbo-tron during Ice Cream Man.

Wait...