PDA

View Full Version : Black Sabbath Album "13" due in June

Pages : [1] 2

lesfunk
01-12-2013, 11:39 PM
From www.Black-Sabbath.com

New Album Called “13″, due in June
JANUARY 12, 2013 BY JOE LEAVE A COMMENT
Well, got some news tonight, including one piece I’m glad I don’t have to keep a secret anymore (the drummer). I’ll just get to it, since you don’t want to hear my blathering…
BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND (January 13, 2013)–Today, the 13th of January 2013, rock legends BLACK SABBATH have announced the title of their new album, 13, which will be released this June (exact date TBA). The original BLACK SABBATH–OZZY OSBOURNE (vocals), TONY IOMMI (guitar) and GEEZER BUTLER (bass)–have recorded the album primarily in Los Angeles and were joined at the sessions by drummer Brad Wilk (Rage Against The Machine). Produced by Rick Rubin (seven-time Grammy winner, two of those as Producer of the Year), the album will be released on Vertigo (worldwide) and Vertigo/Republic in the U.S. 13 marks the Grammy-winning, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees’ return to Vertigo, the band’s original label; it’s the group’s first studio album together since 1978’s Never Say Die! They have sold over 70 million albums together.
In advance of the album’s release, BLACK SABBATH will head to New Zealand, Australia and Japan for live performances (see below for tour dates). Additional tour plans will be revealed in the coming months.
BLACK SABBATH’s initial tour dates are as follows:

DATE CITY VENUE
Sat 4/20 Auckland, New Zealand Vector Arena
Mon 4/22 Auckland, New Zealand Vector Arena
Thu 4/25 Brisbane, Australia Entertainment Centre
Sat 4/27 Sydney, Australia All Phones Arena
Mon 4/29 Melbourne, Australia Rod Laver Arena
Wed 5/1 Melbourne, Australia Rod Laver Arena
Sat 5/4 Perth, Australia Perth Arena
Sun 5/12 Tokyo, Japan Ozzfest – Makuhari Messe

Dan
01-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Hide The Sheep From Ozzy.:hitch:

ashstralia
01-13-2013, 03:35 AM
i'm very tempted to go to this show.

Zing!
01-13-2013, 08:59 AM
I will go if it's not $100 a ticket. Ashamed to say I've never seen Ozzy (I grew up in Iowa, which wasn't real neighborly to the Oz.)

ELVIS
01-13-2013, 09:22 AM
It will be more than $100 for sure...

ELVIS
01-13-2013, 10:50 AM
:elvis:

binnie
01-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Please, please, please, please don't suck............

Hardrock69
01-13-2013, 03:38 PM
I have seen all involved so many times I have no reason at all to spend my money seeing them again.

I will just wait for bootleg DVDs to check out any performances of new material they may give.

Dave's Bitch
01-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Please, please, please, please don't suck............

Can't be much worse than Never Say Die.One of my least favorite Sabbath albums

Terry
01-13-2013, 04:52 PM
I have seen all involved so many times I have no reason at all to spend my money seeing them again.

I will just wait for bootleg DVDs to check out any performances of new material they may give.

I'm somewhat interested in the new material...much, much more than I'll ever be interested in any Ozzy solo material.

I really am unsure if I'll see them live or not (presuming they actually tour the states)...on the con side, I just don't have much use for Ozzy Osbourne anymore. I'll never negate his contributions to the Sabbath material or his first two solo albums, but beyond Diary Of A Madman the rest of Ozzy's career is pretty much disposable to me.

Ozzy's voice went well with what Geezer and Tony were doing...but then again so did Ronnie James Dio...and Ian Gillan. I guess the lure for me would be to see if the three of them can come up with anything good (it's a shame Ward isn't gonna be there, but his lack of participation isn't a deal-breaker for me anymore: I've seen Sabbath twice without him, and didn't feel cheated by him not being there at those shows then, so seeing Sabbath now without him would be traditional for me as a fan).

Also, Geezer and Tony are loud as fuck live. Also, sad to say, depending on the state of Tony's health, this may be the last time I get a chance to see him play.

binnie
01-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Can't be much worse than Never Say Die.One of my least favorite Sabbath albums

Did you hear the two new 'songs' on the live reunion record from 1997? Fucking woeful........

(Saw 'em at Donnington last year though, and they're still good live. Not as good as the rose-tinted reviews would suggest, but good nonetheless)

binnie
01-13-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm somewhat interested in the new material...much, much more than I'll ever be interested in any Ozzy solo material.

I really am unsure if I'll see them live or not (presuming they actually tour the states)...on the con side, I just don't have much use for Ozzy Osbourne anymore. I'll never negate his contributions to the Sabbath material or his first two solo albums, but beyond Diary Of A Madman the rest of Ozzy's career is pretty much disposable to me.

Ozzy's voice went well with what Geezer and Tony were doing...but then again so did Ronnie James Dio...and Ian Gillan. I guess the lure for me would be to see if the three of them can come up with anything good (it's a shame Ward isn't gonna be there, but his lack of participation isn't a deal-breaker for me anymore: I've seen Sabbath twice without him, and didn't feel cheated by him not being there at those shows then, so seeing Sabbath now without him would be traditional for me as a fan).

Also, Geezer and Tony are loud as fuck live. Also, sad to say, depending on the state of Tony's health, this may be the last time I get a chance to see him play.

If you haven't already, I'd really recommend giving Ozzy's last solo record ('Scream') a spin. Surprisingly good.

ELVIS
01-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Scream is one of Ozzy's best albums...

Every song is good...

Hardrock69
01-14-2013, 08:24 PM
.....Also, sad to say, depending on the state of Tony's health, this may be the last time I get a chance to see him play.

That is one reason I would go.

Matt White
01-14-2013, 08:33 PM
No BILL WARD............

it'll still be good....just not BLACK SABBATH good.....

Bill has a unique groove.....and is a MOFO on the drums.....

It won't sound right....

saw em in '99 with PANTERA & The Deftones............

no reason to see 75% of SABBATH just so Sharon can stuff a few more bucks in her purse

Matt White
01-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Yup................GOOD TIMES

Kristy
01-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Who cares about this other than degenerate failed musicians dumbasses? Sabbath are old, F A T and out of ideas since what, 1978? Even some pussy emo band would be a better listen than this soul-sucking crap.

Matt White
01-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

nobody cares...........................................

Matt White
01-14-2013, 08:59 PM
:P
HUuHuhUh Huh HUhUhuhuhh

Kristy
01-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Matt White = old, degenerative person

LoungeMachine
01-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Even some pussy emo band would be a better listen than this soul-sucking crap.

Go join that board then, Craigslist Cunt.

:gulp:

Kristy
01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Oh look! F A T boy is weighing in.

jhale667
01-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Krust'slist.com

Kristy
01-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Scream is one of Ozzy's best albums...

Every song is good...

It's a pile of shit.

lesfunk
01-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Dearest...9393

Little Texan
01-14-2013, 11:26 PM
I'm a piece of shit.

I cuntcur.

Anonymous
01-15-2013, 01:24 AM
It ain't Sabbath without DIO!

Cheers! :bottle:

Mr. Vengeance
01-15-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm not that excited about this album.....Not because I don't think Sabbath can make a good album, but I think that they are going to do something average that cannot possibly compare to their heyday. The Heaven and Hell album managed to bring the goods....I just don't see it here.

I hope I'm wrong.

Mr. Vengeance
01-15-2013, 07:53 PM
It's a pile of shit.

Are you determined to be a contrary pain in the ass in every fucking thread now???

No one GIVES A SHIT if you liked it or not....

tojoro
01-16-2013, 07:02 AM
For the sake of seeing Tony once more live, sure! But, this is more like a corporate agreement between parties, as opposed to old friends reuniting again, I mean, Ozzy just had Iommi in the courts a few short years ago over royalties and such.
Bill was/is a fine percussionist, who had that swing. Looks like if he had signed on for the tour, he would have made considerably less than the other three.
I wonder if $haron's problem with Bill reaches back to him being the one to tell Ozzy back in '78 that he had to go.
What is it about the insanely rich needing even more?

ELVIS
01-16-2013, 09:13 AM
If the album is good, I wont care about any of that...

sonrisa salvaje
01-16-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm not that excited about this album.....Not because I don't think Sabbath can make a good album, but I think that they are going to do something average that cannot possibly compare to their heyday. The Heaven and Hell album managed to bring the goods....I just don't see it here.

I hope I'm wrong.

I'm with you and as Binnie pointed out if the 2 tracks from the Reunion record are any indication of what is to come it scares me to death. I can only hope that Tony and Geezer wrote everything including lyrics and all Ozzy has to do is sing.

ELVIS
01-16-2013, 10:14 AM
I don't think much effort went into those two filler tracks...

I'm hoping, anyway...

78/84 guy
01-17-2013, 09:13 PM
I don't think much effort went into those two filler tracks...

I'm hoping, anyway...

The live part holds it's own ! Tony is way better live. tone wise. Killer sound. It fucking sucks that they put interviews over the song's on the dvd.

FORD
01-18-2013, 01:03 AM
Meanwhile back in Ozzy-land, Sharon's stupidity catches the Osbourne mansion on fire, and gets Ozzy burned.....

A fire at Ozzy Osbourne‘s Beverly Hills house early this morning (Jan. 17) caused him to require medical treatment. His wife and manager Sharon told the story on her show, ‘The Talk,’ while also revealing that he had an undisclosed procedure performed on his hand on Wednesday. Neither Sharon, nor their dogs, who were also in the house at the time, were injured.

Apparently, Sharon left a candle burning overnight. At approximately 5:00AM Pacific time, the glass vase holding the candle burst, sending flames throughout the living room. Fortunately, the fire was quickly extinguished by the local fire department, but not before the couple had tried on their own.

“My husband had an operation on his hand yesterday so he’s in a complete cast,” she explained, as reported by ContactMusic. “He comes down and goes, ‘Oh, the fire, the fire!’ [and tries to put it out] with his hand in the cast. Then he opens the French doors and I go into the kitchen and throw water on it and it erupted.”

The problem was that the candle’s flame was oil-based, and therefore Sharon’s action caused the blaze to spread, causing more damage than intended. As a result, her husband got the worst of it.

“Ozzy’s front of his hair from [his ear down is], gone! His eyebrows [are gone],” she continued. “He’s got like, skinned cheeks. We are, like, two idiots, it was like The Three Stooges…Everything you are not meant to do – go to bed with candles alight, open the doors and put water on – we did it all.”

Sharon concluded the story by accepting full responsibility for the fire and by passing on a message of the importance of fire safety.

“I apologize to my husband because he put himself out,” she said. “He made his hand worse, it started to bleed, the whole nine yards, and I’m sorry and I love you and I will never light a candle again. I want to thank the firemen from Beverly Hills Fire Station because you are magnificent there and I want to say to everyone out there, please, please check your candles before you go to bed.”

Mr Walker
01-18-2013, 10:45 AM
I couldn't find my old vinyl copy of Vol 4, so I bought a WB Olive Label 1st US Pressing off e-bay... sounds so fucking good.
I really wanted a Vertigo 1st UK pressing and actually won an auction for an insanely cheap price... of course as soon as I won, the seller said his kid broke the record and asked to cancel the transaction.
Those old Sabbath Vertigo UK pressings, go for a lot of $$$.

Hardrock69
01-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Strange....I thought I had Vol. 4 on vinyl. Turns out I don't. I have the first album, and that is it.

Ok....I know what I will be on the hunt for now....

lesfunk
01-18-2013, 04:13 PM
:P
HUuHuhUh Huh HUhUhuhuhh

shite:flypig:

sonrisa salvaje
01-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Can't blame Ozzy for having a cast on his hand. I'd beat it too rather than having sex with that witch.

FORD
01-18-2013, 05:28 PM
So are they calling the album "13" just because of the year, or is this some tricky revisionist math reflecting what is and is not considered "Black Sabbath" now?

Actually, it would agree with my definition... since I acknowledge the Dio albums and the Ian Gillan album as legitimate Black Sabbath, but not all that bullshit that Iommi recorded with no other actual band members.

So if you do the math.....

8 original Black Sabbath studio albums
3 Dio era studio albums
1 Gillan studio album

And even though Bill Ward is missing, this will be 3/4 of the original, so that counts as 13.

ELVIS
01-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Maybe they should have left 13 out and called it 14...

Anonymous
01-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Meanwhile back in Ozzy-land, Sharon's stupidity catches the Osbourne mansion on fire, and gets Ozzy burned.....

I like how these retards, after doing something incredibly stupid, take it upon themselves to adamantly warn everybody else not to do it.

Ozzy should've killed her years ago.

vh rides again
01-19-2013, 10:00 PM
I will go if it's not $100 a ticket. Ashamed to say I've never seen Ozzy (I grew up in Iowa, which wasn't real neighborly to the Oz.)

I've lived in iowa or across the river in Illinois my whole life.
Ozzie was here many times, I've seen him 4 times in davenport during the 80s-90s and a few times in the 00's

Where and when were you in Iowa ?

78/84 guy
01-20-2013, 12:18 AM
I like how these retards, after doing something incredibly stupid, take it upon themselves to adamantly warn everybody else not to do it.

Ozzy should've killed her years ago.

He tried !

binnie
01-30-2013, 03:56 PM
I think Brad Wilk is a smart move for drummer.

Not sure if 'professional' is an adjective I'd like to be applied to Sabbath record. 'Monstrous' is one I'd prefer.....

jhale667
01-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Wilk is an excellent drummer.

Green Manalishi
01-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Interesting side note - I watched a fairly recent interview with Tony Iommi on " That Metal Show " with Eddie Trunk . They were discussing his deep arsenal of heavy guitar riffs - his trademark . Iommi claimed he has guitar riffs that have yet to see the light of day that are as plentiful and quality as his well known classic riffs . Some of them he has been sitting on " for years " . As a classic Sabbath fan , I'm of the opinion that NOW is the time to unleash these sonic gems . There is NOTHING more menacing then a heavy Iommi guitar riff .

ODShowtime
01-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Man I would like to hear a good rock album. Van Halen helped me survive busy season last year and I got nothing for this year.

binnie
01-31-2013, 02:44 PM
I can see the logic in bringing Wilk on board. I would love it if the album is a bit more bluesy/rocky/jazzy with a twist of dark metal thrown in.

Me too. I think the sound on the 'Heaven & Hell' record would be a bit too sparse and dark for Ozzy's voice these days.....

binnie
01-31-2013, 02:50 PM
And by that I mean the last Sabbath record with Dio (when they were billed as 'Heaven & Hell'), rather than the record of the same name from 1980......

ELVIS
03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
http://youtu.be/Vrsm5KAZ_XI

:killer:

ELVIS
03-14-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm relieved they went with Brad Wilk...

He might be a good fit...

binnie
03-14-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm curious to see that Rubin is so hands on (at least in that video) - he is renowned as being a very 'hands off' producer.

The weak link here is Ozzy - I really hope his vocals stack up. They sounded good on 'Scream' so there is hope......

Matt White
03-14-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm actually very optimistic aboot this one........even without Bill Ward

I'd be a HUGE hypocrite, having LARVED ADKOT even without Mike Anthony, if I didnt give it a chance.....

I just hope there are some actual RIFFS on this....something I thought was missing from that HEAVEN & Hell cd THE DEVIL YOU KNOW...........

ELVIS
04-06-2013, 01:18 PM
They sounded good on 'Scream' so there is hope......

Some of the best vocals Ozzy ever laid down are on Scream...

78/84 guy
04-06-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm relieved they went with Brad Wilk...

He might be a good fit...

I had little interest in the album until I watched that clip. Good to see them playing live in the studio. That's the way to do it. He is a good drummer. Rage is interesting. I like the fit also.

lesfunk
04-18-2013, 07:24 PM
NEW Sabbath Song God is Dead?
in it's entirety. You're welcome you unworthy bitches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PSo7ENkZak

Green Manalishi
04-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Outstanding ! Can't wait to hear the rest of the album . Sounds like vintage Sabbath as we know them .
How about a 35th. anniversary classic Black Sabbath / classic Van Halen tour ?

Satan
04-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Most Unholy!

Sounds like something that could have been on Volume 4, despite the scab drummer.

Good to know they are still capable of sounding evil http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d010.gif

Matt White
04-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm........

Gonna guess this won't be the song I'd have chosen as a 1st single.....

jhale667
04-18-2013, 07:52 PM
That sounds cooler than I expected. The breakdown is very "Faries Wear Boots" don'tcha think? :rockit: And Wilk is pulling it off.

lesfunk
04-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm........

VH chose Tattoo as the first single so I'm happy as shit with this

Matt White
04-18-2013, 08:43 PM
VH chose Tattoo as the first single so I'm happy as shit with this

It could be the TATTOO of this SABBATH cd...

Matt White
04-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Better than "Psycho-man" back in '98............

I'm buying this cd regardless......hopefully it'll be another ADKOT "Winter of their career" gem.......

as long as GEEZER is writing the lyrics they've got a fighting chance....just keep that KANT Sharon away from 'em!!!

And bring BILL WARD back for fucks sake...TONY aint gonna last long....just look at the poor fucker...he makes TOM HAMILTON look like Brad Pitt!!!

ELVIS
04-19-2013, 05:17 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm........

Black Sabbath doesn't need a "single."

ELVIS
04-19-2013, 05:20 AM
Ozzy sounds good, but the sleepy music is exactly the same boring crap they released right before Dio died...

Next...

ELVIS
04-19-2013, 05:21 AM
Does slow boring guitar music cause stomach cancer ??

ELVIS
04-19-2013, 05:23 AM
Wow 6:27 later the song starts to wake up somewhat...

Better than that last Dio crap...

Still not impressed...

ELVIS
04-19-2013, 05:28 AM
It's no better than this boring song...

ODShowtime
04-19-2013, 06:07 AM
Man I'm sick of listening to you cuntplain about good music.

ELVIS
04-19-2013, 06:09 AM
You must not have ears, because they phoned that song in...

Matt White
04-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Black Sabbath doesn't need a "single."

After a 35 year layoff...yeah, they do

ELVIS
04-19-2013, 08:28 AM
What good would that do ??

Matt White
04-19-2013, 08:44 AM
re-introduce them to entire generations............maybe sell a couple of cds....generate more ticket sales....etc etc etc

hell, their back catalog would fly off the shelves...merchandise would be in demand....OZZY could run for President in....oh wait, they're all Limeys!!!

FORD
04-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Maybe they'll do some "dub step" mixes??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCq7pDLXA1U

ELVIS
04-19-2013, 08:50 AM
re-introduce them to entire generations............maybe sell a couple of cds....generate more ticket sales....etc etc etc

hell, their back catalog would fly off the shelves...merchandise would be in demand....OZZY could run for President in....oh wait, they're all Limeys!!!

Young people will never buy aging rocker material besides a few select individuals...

FORD
04-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Young people will never buy aging rocker material besides a few select individuals...

Young people with brains or any sort of musical taste would.

What the fuck alternative do they have? Wiggy Minage or Justin Beeblebrox (or whatever the fuck their names are).

Matt White
04-19-2013, 09:00 AM

Wrong-O King!

It's the kids these days who ARE buying "Classic Rock"......get out there among 'em....

Floyd, the Stones, Led Zep, VAN FUCKING HALEN......you'd obviously be surprised at the # of the youth purchasing music made before their parents were driving.............

A solid BLACK SABBATH single, not ground breaking, would be a HUGE way to kick things off....

THey've always wrote killer stuff...PARANOID, IRON MAN, NEON KA-NIGHTS, 'EAVEN AND 'ELL......

just sumthin to get 'em on the 'ol RADIO for more than a week...I do like that new single....but come on 9 minutes? Who do they think they is, METALLICA?!? That didn't work for dem, either!

sonrisa salvaje
04-19-2013, 10:26 AM
I like the new tune but i hope it's not the show piece of the album. Surely there is better to be heard.

ThrillsNSpills
04-19-2013, 10:33 AM
just sumthin to get 'em on the 'ol RADIO for more than a week...I do like that new single....but come on 9 minutes? Who do they think they is, METALLICA?!? That didn't work for dem, either!

Radio would be good to see.
We can't assume the whole album will be plodding based on this one tune.
There's got to be some fast paced stuff. It's Sabbath.
What Les has posted says "full version" so the implication is the edited one is the single.

jhale667
04-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Wrong-O King!

It's the kids these days who ARE buying "Classic Rock"......get out there among 'em....

Floyd, the Stones, Led Zep, VAN FUCKING HALEN......you'd obviously be surprised at the # of the youth purchasing music made before their parents were driving.............

A solid BLACK SABBATH single, not ground breaking, would be a HUGE way to kick things off....

THey've always wrote killer stuff...PARANOID, IRON MAN, NEON KA-NIGHTS, 'EAVEN AND 'ELL......

There's a high school near my office ( the one we originally thought that shooting was at that day) and I'm continually amazed at the amount of Hendrix, Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, VH and other classic rock Ts I see on kids... I don't think they're wearing 'em just for the artwork, either.

binnie
04-19-2013, 03:51 PM
You can hear the new Sabbath single 'God is Dead?' here:

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/black-sabbath-new-single-god-is-dead-unveiled/

binnie
04-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Ok, just checked page 2 and realised it's already been posted. Apologies.

binnie
04-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Most Unholy!

Sounds like something that could have been on Volume 4, despite the scab drummer.

Good to know they are still capable of sounding evil http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d010.gif

Not hearing 'Vol. 4'. It's more 'Masters Of Reality' because of the doominess.

It's better than I'd feared it might be, and Ozzy's vocals definitely sound cooler in the lower range.

But 8 minutes? It feels like it could be 30-40% shorter to me.........

ELVIS
04-19-2013, 04:01 PM
I agree...

FORD
04-21-2013, 03:01 AM
Here's another new one, apparently performed live from Kiwi land.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gkChcGFnSsY

(standard disclaimers of crappy audience cell phone sound quality apply here, but at least you get a sense of the song. VERY much a Vintage Sabbath vibe here)

ELVIS
04-21-2013, 04:35 PM
I've never been that far away at a show...

ELVIS
04-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Ozzy sounds like shit on that...

And another million minute song ??

ELVIS
04-21-2013, 04:42 PM
If this album ends up sucking shit, Rick Ruben needs to go to prison...

lesfunk
04-21-2013, 06:45 PM
If Elvis doesn't stop shitting on Sabbath, he needs to get banned again.

Matt White
04-21-2013, 06:55 PM
BURN HIM!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SEwhJuZLSZI

FORD
04-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Ozzy sounds like shit on that...

And another million minute song ??

Ozzy sounding like shit live is hardly news.

And why the complaints about song length?? Aside from "Paranoid", "Tommorow's Dream" and maybe one or two others, they weren't exactly known for being masters of the three minute single.

FORD
04-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Yeah... they need to go back to making short songs like this one......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRCeK3Gk93s

ELVIS
04-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Ozzy sounding like shit live is hardly news.

And why the complaints about song length?? Aside from "Paranoid", "Tommorow's Dream" and maybe one or two others, they weren't exactly known for being masters of the three minute single.

Ozzy is still capable of good live vocals, or was recently...

And it's not really the song length...

It just seems like Tony Iommi only knows how to write one song these days...

I hope the album proves me wrong...

Hardrock69
04-21-2013, 10:30 PM
And most of the stuff he is writing is slower and more plodding. Getting him to write a fast song these days is like pulling teeth.

FORD
04-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Well, these guys ARE in their mid-60s. And I imagine Iommi's probably feeling even older than that, given his recent health crisis. Not at all surprised they would be doing things "slower" at this stage of their lives.

ELVIS
04-21-2013, 11:06 PM
I'll still buy it day one...

FORD
04-22-2013, 02:55 AM
The BMG fascist trolls have managed to get the original "God is Dead" clip blocked, but this version sounds better anyway. So if you missed it the first time, here it is.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVfUimq2KeI

Vinnie Velvet
04-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Hmm....not feeling it.

Sounds like some Sabbath cover band trying their hand at writing their own "doom and gloom" Sab tune. Almost like a parody.

I think this ship has sailed......BUT hoping there are better tracks on the album.

78/84 guy
04-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Well, these guys ARE in their mid-60s. And I imagine Iommi's probably feeling even older than that, given his recent health crisis. Not at all surprised they would be doing things "slower" at this stage of their lives.

Tony said he had a lot of riffs people haven't heard yet. I hope this wasn't his best one. Good song. Nothing special. Maybe it will be their Tattoo !

WARF
06-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Here's the full album!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgvvixpAT8w

Tracklist:
1. End of the Beginning 0:00
2. God Is Dead? 8:05
3. Loner 16:57
4. Zeitgeist 21:58
5. Age of Reason 26:35
6. Live Forever 33:36
7. Damaged Soul 38:23
8. Dear Father 46:15

FORD
06-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Well, it sounds good.... but it sounds like a bunch of retreads.

The first track could be "Electric Funeral pt II". Loner is the bastard child of NIB. Zeitgeist is Planet Caravan, pt II.

If this were an old Black Sabbath album on vinyl, I think I'd end up playing "side 2" more than "side 1".

WARF
06-05-2013, 09:14 PM
I agree, I think album gains momentum at the age of reason. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the album. I'll write a full review tommorow after I give it another full listen.

binnie
06-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Stumbling around trying to pen a review of '13'. I'll say this much: 'God Is Dead?' is the weakest tune on it - who made the decision to release it first?

Satan
06-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Stumbling around trying to pen a review of '13'. I'll say this much: 'God Is Dead?' is the weakest tune on it - who made the decision to release it first?

Maybe they have the same management as Van Halen?

binnie
06-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Maybe they made better decisions during their drug years.....

ELVIS
06-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Shuddup and finish your review...

I'm not buyin' 'till I read your bullshit...

binnie
06-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Review will be done by the close of Sunday. I want to spin it a few more times....

Mr. Vengeance
06-07-2013, 05:10 PM
How'd the album come out on youtube? Leaked?

sonrisa salvaje
06-07-2013, 05:20 PM
I still ain't listening to this until i get an actual copy in my hands and can jam the cd at will. Anything less would be selling it short.

ELVIS
06-07-2013, 05:48 PM

ELVIS
06-07-2013, 05:50 PM
That song pretty much sucks...

Satan
06-08-2013, 12:36 AM
So does the video, considering all the shots in it of Ozzy, Tony, and Bill. But not Geezer.

Guess whoever uploaded that thing can't tell Black Sabbath members apart, and cut the wrong guy out of the pictures.

ELVIS
06-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Iommi wearing a wig ??

I hope you're writing some good shit Binnie, because so far I'm not interested...

ELVIS
06-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Like Bill Ward would have made these new songs any worse...

ELVIS
06-08-2013, 09:22 AM
FULL ALBUM (http://www.mediafire.com/download/27vm505bzx4xfbd/Black+Sabbath+-+13+%282013%29.zip)

ELVIS
06-08-2013, 09:33 AM
The New York Times

The concept of ear fatigue is widely understood, possibly too widely; in an ever-louder world, everyone’s an expert. But those who spend a lot of time in recording studios — engineers, producers, musicians — talk about it with the most knowledge, because ear fatigue prevents them from working. After hearing too much loud music, without enough dynamics, they can’t hear differences in tone and frequency and all sound becomes porridge. They’re tired, done for the day.

I like loud music, and often feel that concerts aren’t loud enough. I also feel that there may be some value judgment or categorical disdain toward the music in question built into anyone’s diagnosis of ear fatigue. In any case, I had never experienced it until recently, when hearing Black Sabbath’s new album, “13.” Or at least that’s what I thought it was.

Out next week on Vertigo, “13” invokes the past. It is the group’s first album of new songs with most of its original lineup since 1978: the singer Ozzy Osbourne, the guitarist Tony Iommi and the bassist Geezer Butler. (The drummer Bill Ward was not involved in the album or the group’s forthcoming tour, because of contract disputes.) So here is three-quarters, at least, of the band formed in Birmingham, England, in 1968, which directly produced or influenced much that followed in hard rock, metal and punk: Pantera, Metallica, Soundgarden, Black Flag, Earth, Celtic Frost, the Melvins, Sleep and many, many doom-metal bands, some of which have named themselves after Black Sabbath songs.

Black Sabbath — let’s speak in the past tense — was a basic formula, a disposition in general. That’s what has persisted through time. But it was also a set of songs in particular, which were much leaner and stronger than those on “13.”

Unsurprisingly, the group’s new publicity photos show only the three original musicians, and not the album’s replacement drummer, Brad Wilk, of Rage Against the Machine, who is 20 years younger than Mr. Ward. But on the home page of the band’s Web site, Mr. Ward has been cropped out of old black-and-white band photos, as if he were never there. (According to an official band statement, the cropping was at Mr. Ward’s request. Aside from all that, there have been other dramas around “13”: Mr. Iommi’s cancerous lymphoma, first made public at the beginning of 2012; and Mr. Osbourne’s relapse into drugs and drinking during the period of making the album and after, which he revealed in a Facebook post in April.

I heard the album in the presence of a publicist in April when it was not yet being entrusted to journalists and found my concentration slacken after the well-constructed, episodic first track, “End of the Beginning.” But I did not judge. There is no percentage in listening to doom metal in a conference room.

My struggles continued, later, when I listened to “13” at home. I’d hear a song, or sometimes half of one, and I’d grow acutely sleepy. Still, no basis for criticism. The ideal early-style Sabbath, slow and low, loud and long and morbidly skeptical, is theoretically meant to pull you under. It is almost primordial or of the earth. It wants you to join it there, forever.

The new Black Sabbath album was produced by Rick Rubin, who some believe to be a prime offender in the recent history of highly compressed and loudly mastered music — a major cause of ear fatigue. His work on Metallica’s 2008 album “Death Magnetic” was particularly controversial. But I really liked that record: it sounded like four needy middle-age men sprinting to the end of their lung capacity. Why shouldn’t that be loud, overwhelming, fatiguing? “13” is mastered loudly, too; Mr. Iommi’s guitar tone planes outward, leaving very little space, and the drums stay high and present in the mix. Your ears aren’t given room to breathe.

But, again, I think I’m fine with that. I love the early Sabbath records, and I love doom metal, selectively. So why my burned-out feeling? Could it not be about loudness after all?

“13” is an album of Mr. Osbourne singing in his thin, droning voice over distorted and comfortably dire minor-key riffs, with brief turns into doom-ballad acoustic guitars, as on Sabbath’s canonical first four records. (To overvalue that 1970-73 period is to undervalue the three albums that followed before Mr. Osbourne left the band in 1979. But that’s what the band does: Its recent concerts tend to stick to songs from those early years, with the exception of “Symptom of the Universe,” from the 1975 album “Sabotage.”)

The new record is above all the maintenance of a brand. A few tracks begin with spooky laughter, a backward-running shard of sound or a few seconds of studio rustling, as they sometimes did on the early records. And then come the riffs. Mr. Iommi’s genius is for short, disquieting, repeated melodic lines played on the lower strings of the guitar. They’re anchors for each section of the songs, and on “13” you might well feel you’ve heard them before.

But that feeling doesn’t necessarily translate into pleasure, as when what seems inevitable also seems fresh. Rather, there’s a sense of encountering incomplete or stock-level work: perhaps a discarded germ for something that long ago became something better, or a kind of paler approximation of an early Sabbath riff, good enough for the job at hand. (“I have a habit of keeping my riffs,” Mr. Iommi wrote in his 2011 book “Iron Man.” “I’ve got thousands of them.”) The same goes for Mr. Iommi’s solos, of which there’s generally one in each song: they’re strings of licks set through wah-wah and phase effects, a set of blues-rock guitar lessons circa 1970. It’s rich, glib music, heavy with its own importance.

The album has eight songs, in two general sizes: five between seven and nine minutes long, and three between four and five minutes long. It has a limited range of rhythm: variations of slow and midtempo four-four, and shuffle grooves. You may find yourself missing Mr. Ward keenly. He has the slight swing and awkwardness that came with English rock drummers of his generation, and this group built its sound around his. Mr. Wilk’s playing is stronger across the board, less eruptive and detailed — and more anonymous.

The lyrics are mostly written by Mr. Butler, as was the case with the old Black Sabbath records, and they’re very early-’70s, full of rhetorical riddles and other-dimensional or dystopian babble meant to put you on edge, like:

Is this the end of the beginning

or the beginning of the end?

Losing control or are you winning?

Is your life real or just pretend?

They deal with crises of faith and morality; they consider the conscience of the lonely or the depressed or the evil, and hint at redemption through rational logic. They’re passé, overwritten and funny, perhaps, without meaning to be.

The phrase “regeneration of your cybersonic soul” appears in “End of the Beginning,” as does the warning “you don’t have to be a robot ghost/occupied inside a human host.” (The album’s cosmic ballad, mentioning black holes and “strings of theory,” is called “Zeitgeist.”) “Dear Father,” the second-strongest track, is a stern rebuke to a sinning cleric. And “God Is Dead?” in particular, may prod you with its title. But the song seems first sensational and then diplomatic; it ends with the line “I don’t believe that God is dead.”

There was often an insane party somewhere behind the negativity of the early Sabbath records. There is no party in here.

I don’t think the loudness is the problem. Finally, it’s the sameness of the songs on “13,” even as they seek variety through modular structure and serial riffs, that deflates the record and the listener. There’s a kind of expensive, well-appointed, historically correct dullness going on here — a display of authenticity without much fight.

ELVIS
06-08-2013, 09:43 AM
That's pretty much it for me...

Fuck this bummer of an album...

:mad2:

atomicpnk47
06-08-2013, 09:44 AM
What the fuck did Ozzy say? From what i'm hearing i'm not all that impressed. I'll probably end up downloading a song or two but not purchasing the whole album.

ELVIS
06-08-2013, 09:45 AM
What the fuck did Ozzy say?

Who knows or cares at this point...

He's a fucking waste case again...

Mr. Vengeance
06-08-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm waiting for the album to be released to listen...I'm not holding out much hope based on the comments.

ELVIS
06-08-2013, 12:54 PM
It sucks dude...

It does have a nice bass sound...:rolleyes:

Rick Ruben should be behind bars...stricken from the music industry...

That fat drug addict knows about as much about music as Eddie fucking Trunk...

binnie
06-09-2013, 02:27 PM
'Sucks' is a bit harsh. It is a grower - give it a couple of spins.

Mr. Vengeance
06-09-2013, 05:19 PM
So what people are saying is that I shouldn't throw away my copy of Vol. 4 in anticipation of this album?

ELVIS
06-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Probably not...

binnie
06-10-2013, 03:51 AM
Definitely not. But no one - not even the world's biggest optimist - was hoping that '13' was going to rival any of the first 6 records...........

Mr. Vengeance
06-10-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm not one who hates Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die. Love those albums. Frankly, the first 11 are all good. I'm just hoping they can put out something along the lines of The Devil You Know, and not along the lines of Forbidden.

Seshmeister
06-10-2013, 11:18 AM
It sucks dude...

It does have a nice bass sound...:rolleyes:

Rick Ruben should be behind bars...stricken from the music industry...

That fat drug addict knows about as much about music as Eddie fucking Trunk...

Apparently he's worth $400 million...

I never forgave him for killing off Wolfsbane...

ELVIS
06-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Worth $400 million to whom ??

Gauging people by their dollar worth has never meant shit to me anyway...

sonrisa salvaje
06-10-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm not one who hates Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die. Love those albums. Frankly, the first 11 are all good. I'm just hoping they can put out something along the lines of The Devil You Know, and not along the lines of Forbidden.

That is the big question in my mind...how does is stack up against the Heaven and Hell record? To my taste, The Devil You Know was plodding but the music was good enough to keep me interested. Is this up there with that, a little better, or below that?

binnie
06-10-2013, 02:43 PM
That is the big question in my mind...how does is stack up against the Heaven and Hell record? To my taste, The Devil You Know was plodding but the music was good enough to keep me interested. Is this up there with that, a little better, or below that?

It's difficult to compare. It's certainly got a warmer feel - it's far bluesier than the Heaven & Hell record - but it probably won't make you punch the air and headbang as much. There were certainly weak spots on H & H, but it fuckin' kicked in places too. It also oozed charisma.

So, I'd say H & H is the surperior record but not by much. The main problem with '13' is that the songs still feel like jams in many places.

binnie
06-10-2013, 02:45 PM

Don't hate 'Technical Ecstasy' or 'Never Say Die' (in fact, I think 'Technical' is underated) but they were a noticeable step down from the first 6.....

ELVIS
06-10-2013, 03:41 PM
I don't know about that, I love 'em both...

binnie
06-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Even 'Never Say Die'? Take off the title track and I'm not hearing much to get excited about..........

sonrisa salvaje
06-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Even 'Never Say Die'? Take off the title track and I'm not hearing much to get excited about..........

Johnny Blade and Junior's Eyes are incredible in my humble opinion.

Mr. Vengeance
06-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Johnny Blade and Junior's Eyes are incredible in my humble opinion.

Yup. I always though the album got a bum rap. There's a lot of good tunes.

ELVIS
06-10-2013, 05:50 PM

Oh yeah ??

Johnny Blade, Junior's Eyes, Hard Road, Shock Wave and especially Air Dance...

All top notch material...

ELVIS
06-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Well, maybe not Shock Wave, but I still like it...

Vinnie Velvet
06-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Well, I say this 13 album sucks ass. Heard most of it already and it was enough.

They should have let Sabbath RIP.
The Devil You Know was better than this crap.

ELVIS
06-11-2013, 09:50 AM
About the same, I'd say...

To Vinnie and Sabbath...

sonrisa salvaje
06-11-2013, 12:31 PM
I have heard 4 songs thus far on the radio and they all seem to follow the same pattern. They start off plodding and then about middle ways they pick up speed and change into something else. Sometimes they come back to murkiness and sometimes they don't. Historically, that is what made Sabbath tunes so cool in that they would always change and you would end up getting 2 or 3 songs in one. There is still some of that going on here i like the tunes once they change and pick up speed. Overall, i am happy with what i have heard thus far. I am not hearing what is turning some of you guys off. However, some of you thought Scream was a good record and i still can't figure that out either.

Von Halen
06-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Why don't you fags put the Sabbath album away, and go back to watching the Kardashians.

sonrisa salvaje
06-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Why don't you fags put the Sabbath album away, and go back to watching the Kardashians.

Can't i do both at the same time?

BruinJer
06-11-2013, 03:32 PM
I have the album.... it's no bueno. Too slow, they auto-toned the shit out of Ozzy's vocals (which is all you can do). I'm trying to have an open mind... I'm really trying.

Mr. Vengeance
06-11-2013, 04:37 PM
I've given it my first listen. Picked it up at Walmart today. I refused to spend the extra $5 to get the 2 cd version, for three added songs. If they are so good, they'd be on the album...anyway....

It's not bad. I wasn't ready to throw it across the room the way I was with the last Aerosmith abomination. I'll have to give it a good play on my stereo, because I had to listen on my laptop the first time. Ended up having to play around with the equalizer a bit to get the sound right. Goddamn new technology where they record everything so loudly...sound gets clipped, distorts...pisses me off.

Anyway it's got some good tunes. I was particularly inpressed with "Zeitgeist". Nice little song. "Loner" was smoking.

It seems like at times they, or Rick Rubin, are trying too hard to be "classic Sab". Most of the songs follow the same plan- start slow and plodding, change tempo to fast, change tempo back to slow. Thing is, you could predict pretty much every time change a mile away. Then it was like someone said, "Hey put some harmonica in there, like 'The Wizard'!"

Iommi sounds good! Some nice solos. Geezer is not pounding at all, but as I said, maybe when I give it a spin on my stereo. Ozzy..lot of help there, but what did you expect?

I wouldn't say it's better than The Devil You Know, but it's not too far off. Worth the $12 for sure. And it will certainly get more plays from I.

Mr. Vengeance
06-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Oh, anyone else make the connection with the thunderstorm at the end of the album? Full circle kind of thing, I guess?

ELVIS
06-11-2013, 09:08 PM
More like a bad joke...

ELVIS
06-11-2013, 09:12 PM
I was in Walmart today and passed it up...

Terry
06-11-2013, 09:14 PM
I think rather than get 13 I'll just go ahead and get some of the classic Sab albums I haven't yet bothered to update from my old vinyl/cassette copies...

Either that, or just put Born Again into the car cd player and play Trashed while zooming down I-75 at 90 mph.

Saw a clip of Sabbath playing War Pigs down under this year, and Ozzy's vocals were pathetic: he couldn't even be bothered singing all the verses, much less make so much as a half-assed attempt to sing them in the original key - Ozzy sang a verse, then held the mic to the crowd and had them sing the next one, etc. Fuck, why would I pay premium ticket prices to hear the audience sing half the fucking songs?

ELVIS
06-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Fuck, why would I pay premium ticket prices to hear the audience sing half the fucking songs?

Yeah Dave...

I mean Ozzy...

Whorehey
06-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Turned it off when I heard Ozzy rhyme "lie" and "die".
I know it's not Shakespeare, but really?

ELVIS
06-11-2013, 09:34 PM
So, I'm listening to this new crap on Youtube...

:yawn:

The problem is a total lack of good material and Prick Ruben...

That guy really fucking sucks...

He's like the Corporate brand full of poisonous chemicals that went bad years ago and nobody threw him out...

Ozzy isn't the core problem, although his wastedness is readily apparent...

But I don't blame him...

A free eight ball handed to me by Ozzy himself wouldn't keep me interested in this, really pathetic album...

I hate it more every time I try to give it a listen...

Thanks Sharon, you finally did it...

Ozzy and Sabbath are DONE !!!

Seshmeister
06-11-2013, 09:38 PM

http://www.list.co.uk/article/51607-black-sabbath-wrote-13-lyrics-under-pressure/

Black Sabbath wrote 13 lyrics under pressure

Black Sabbath wrote all the lyrics to '13' the night before they were recorded, but songwriter Geezer Butler says he works best under pressure.

Black Sabbath wrote all the lyrics to '13' the night before they were recorded.

Bassist and lyricist Geezer Butler was under pressure to come up with the ideas for the band's latest album - their first with vocalist Ozzy Osbourne in 33 years - and while he found it harder than in the band's 70s heyday, he didn't mind too much because he works better that way.

He told website fasterlouder.com.au: "It used to come naturally back then. Plus they would be written while we were doing gigs, over a period of time. Whereas this album I literally had to write the lyrics the night before Ozzy sang them, so I didn't have any time.

"Literally the night before. I think there was one song, 'Dear Father', which I'd written about 12 months ago. But when push comes to shove, it had to be done. And I work better under pressure.

"It's just trying to come up with different themes for the songs, that's the hardest part. Once I worked out what I was writing about, it made it a lot easier."

Ozzy - who went on to have a successful solo career after leaving the band in 1978 - also contributed some lyrics of his own.

Geezer added: "Although I did most of the lyrics, Ozzy did four sets of them, I think. Originally we did 16 songs, but there's [only eight on the album]. Ozzy did four, and I did 12."

Greezer - who makes up the band with Ozzy and Tony Iommi - also said he can't wait to get out and play live, after months of rehearsals and recording.

He added: "As a musician the best is being onstage, in front of a crowd, because that's when you give the most. And you get the most back.

"The worst is when you're in rehearsals; you're just playing to a wall."

ELVIS
06-11-2013, 09:40 PM

OFUCKINGMG, these bullshit lyrics are like a Spinal Tap joke...

It's like Geezer and whomever (Tony, Prick Ruben?) tried to rewrite the song Black Sabbath 100 times...

It's really a pathetic uninspired bad joke...I'm waiting for Iommi to come clean with the gag and give us the real album...

Yes...It's that bad...

ELVIS
06-11-2013, 09:42 PM
:yawn:

YAWN WAS GIVING IT TOO MUCH FUCKING CREDIT !!!!!!!!!!!!

:barf:

:puke:

:vomit:

ELVIS
06-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Black Sabbath wrote all the lyrics to '13' the night before they were recorded, but songwriter Geezer Butler says he works best under pressure.

It fucking sounds like it too...

Like he had something fucking else to do in the months leading up to the recording sessions...BASTARD !!

Geezer Butwipe is officially off of my hero list...

Seshmeister
06-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Schoolboy error, he should have at least have been smart enough to keep it to himself.

Now everyone knows if a line looks simple or a bit lame that's all there is to it, they are less likely to look for a deeper subtle meaning.

Mr. Vengeance
06-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Jesus dude...was it 10 cent beer night at your local pub or something?

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Who, Sesh ??

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 01:16 AM
And what's up with these three piece press releases ??

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Entertainment/black%20sabbath%202013%20660.jpg

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 01:17 AM
They're not getting my money this time around...

Monkeeman
06-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Yup. I always though the album got a bum rap. There's a lot of good tunes.

Hard Road is my favourite track on Never Say Die!

Seshmeister
06-12-2013, 04:54 AM

To be fair not many people do...

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Money is overrated anyway...

Von Halen
06-12-2013, 09:50 AM

When I got home last night, my big deluxe box set was there.

I forgot to bring the CD's on the road with me today...

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 09:55 AM
The Ozzy box set ??

Von Halen
06-12-2013, 09:58 AM
The Ozzy box set ??

The "13" box set. The CD's, DVD, Vinyl...

I ordered it so long ago, I forgot I had ordered it. I don't even have a fucking record player anymore, so I don't know wtf I was thinking...

Seshmeister
06-12-2013, 10:00 AM
I don't either, WTF? :biggrin:

DLR Bridge
06-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Schoolboy error, he should have at least have been smart enough to keep it to himself.

Now everyone knows if a line looks simple or a bit lame that's all there is to it, they are less likely to look for a deeper subtle meaning.

You ain't kidding. What a shame. It shouldn't say bassist/lyricist. It should say bassist/guy who got stuck with the job of penning drivel for Ozzy to "sing".

I've heard the one song so far, and from what I've read here, I'm thinking of preserving the band's legacy in my mind by never listening to the rest.

sonrisa salvaje
06-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Just to keep track of the scorecard here, we have reports that the lyrics suck, the production is bad, and the music itself is not good. Anything else?

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 10:32 AM
And Ozzy imitates Dave's deep talking voice...

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 10:37 AM
The "13" box set. The CD's, DVD, Vinyl...

I ordered it so long ago, I forgot I had ordered it. I don't even have a fucking record player anymore, so I don't know wtf I was thinking...

I feel sorry for you...

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 10:44 AM
This blows the new Sabbath away by far...

They should have let the guy who wrote and produced Scream handle Sabbath...

What's his name ??

At least he knows how to make Ozzy sound good...

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Kevin Churko...

Von Halen
06-12-2013, 10:47 AM
I feel sorry for you...

Thank you.

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 10:51 AM
:biggrin:

Just kidding...

I'll give you ten bucks for it...

:rockit:

sonrisa salvaje
06-12-2013, 12:13 PM
And Ozzy imitates Dave's deep talking voice...

This just in. The cover art has been deemed too simple and the liner note font is not inspiring.

sonrisa salvaje
06-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Oh, anyone else make the connection with the thunderstorm at the end of the album? Full circle kind of thing, I guess?

We must spin this negatively. This is actually Ozzy farting.

kwame k
06-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Listened to the free sampling the other day and only made it halfway through........Ward is sorely missed and this doesn't have half the energy as any of the stuff they did with Dio!

Mr. Vengeance
06-12-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm going out in my car and I'm going to put it on, nice volume and see how it sounds there. It will be my second listen. I figure I'll still say afterwards that it's not bad.

Honestly....why people get so worked up over a fucking record? Don't like it? Don't listen. Why bitch endlessly about it? From what I can tell, those upset didn't even shell out the $12 to buy the thing.

Von Halen
06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm going out in my car and I'm going to put it on, nice volume and see how it sounds there. It will be my second listen. I figure I'll still say afterwards that it's not bad.

Honestly....why people get so worked up over a fucking record? Don't like it? Don't listen. Why bitch endlessly about it? From what I can tell, those upset didn't even shell out the $12 to buy the thing.

Yeah, fuck 'em! They must not remember Black Sabbath. I think they were hoping for a U2 record instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binnie
06-12-2013, 03:03 PM
It's certainly not as bad as some of you guys are making out. The problem is it's not instantaeous, largely because the songs are too long/jammy....

kwame k
06-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Some of Sabbath's greatest songs were long and jammy.........this record didn't even peak my interest on any level!
It just laid there and if an established band I've liked for decades can't grab my attention a few songs in.......there's no point and trying to like it for nostalgia's sake!

Plus, without Ward on what's billed as an original line-up recording, it's got to be amazing from the get go!

ThrillsNSpills
06-12-2013, 03:18 PM
wasn't Iommi challenged from cancer when they did this album?

his creative filter may not have been where it usually is....

Mr. Vengeance
06-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Some of Sabbath's greatest songs were long and jammy.........this record didn't even peak my interest on any level!
It just laid there and if an established band I've liked for decades can't grab my attention a few songs in.......there's no point and trying to like it for nostalgia's sake!

Plus, without Ward on what's billed as an original line-up recording, it's got to be amazing from the get go!

So? Who's asking you to like it.

kwame k
06-12-2013, 03:21 PM
So? Who's asking you to like it.

About the same amount of people asking you to comment on my comments:yo:

kwame k
06-12-2013, 03:23 PM

Yeah, he was!

Mr. Vengeance
06-12-2013, 03:28 PM
I went into this album trying to keep and open mind. The early comments didn't lead me to expect much, but it isn't bad. But I did keep an open mind. I see too much of this from fans- they get attached to a band, and then expect that same initial "pop" that they got when they first discovered the band. Never going to happen. Especially when you discover a band as a kid and then follow them into your adulthood. People change. Bands change. Styles change.

Nothing drives me nuts more than the fan of a band who says, "Everything they've done since (insert album here) sucks." Everyone knows this guy- "Aerosmith hasn't done anything good since Draw the Line"..."The Stones haven't put out anything good since Tattoo You"..."Ozzy's sucked since Bark at the Moon", etc....

If you were looking to put 13 on and hear Sabotage, you were stupid in expecting it in the first place. If you wanted Master of Reality, go put on MOR!!!!

Mr. Vengeance
06-12-2013, 03:29 PM
About the same amount of people asking you to comment on my comments:yo:

Well, commenting on what others say is what we do here...what did you expect? That's why it's a discussion forum.

ThrillsNSpills
06-12-2013, 03:37 PM
If you were looking to put 13 on and hear Sabotage, you were stupid in expecting it in the first place. If you wanted Master of Reality, go put on MOR!!!!

It's an excellent idea actually, especially if you're a fan and haven't heard them in a while.
I heard Looking for Today yesterday after not hearing it in years and was knocked out by it.

I thought there was some great stuff on Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die, but everyone knows they took a beating from critics.
I haven't heard the new one yet, or Scream for that matter but I'll get around to it.

Mr. Vengeance
06-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Listening to MOR always reminds me of High school religion class. The teacher was ranting about satanic rock music, and singling out BS. Someone brought in MOR and asked him to listen to "After Forever".

Oh yeah, in Canada, religion in school is prefectly legal...

ThrillsNSpills
06-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I guess it doesn't help that the original first album came out with an inverted cross on the inside cover and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath has 666 on the front cover.
After Forever seems to be a pro God song, not that lyrics are the first thing I listen to, but the Pope on a rope is a more distinguishable line than most of the song.

Satan
06-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I was really pissed off when they wrote "After Forever".....

After all I had done for them, it looked like they were switching teams. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

jhale667
06-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Listening to MOR always reminds me of High school religion class. The teacher was ranting about satanic rock music, and singling out BS. Someone brought in MOR and asked him to listen to "After Forever".

Oh yeah, in Canada, religion in school is prefectly legal...

Your post reminded me of a big presentation a girl did at my parochial school, pretty much aimed at me and my two best friends, who were the "3 amigos of metal" in our class of mostly preppy douchebags. It was called "Expose on Rock Music" by Rev. Marty Tinglehoff or some shit. She'd sent away for the series to "save us" because she thought if we heard "Stairway to Heaven" and "Black Sabbath" backwards we'd hear the supposed backwards satanic messages. We didn't, and proceeded to make a joke of the entire thing, much to the chagrin of our would-be "savior" and the idiot teacher that wasted an entire class on it. In hindsight the teacher probably could've gotten into trouble as the tape was a Baptist preacher, not exactly approved listening. Even as teens we could debunk every stupid assertion made by the zealotard on the tape.

Finally, getting beyond frustrated, the girl looks at me and tries to go all condescending: "Now, Jay - YOU KNOW Ozzy worships Satan."

Told her "No, I know no such thing - it'd be kind of weird for a guy that screams 'God bless you all' after every song to be a satanist, don't you thnk?"

Suddenly she became FURIOUS - "He does NOT say that!" (she said as if she knew)

"Really? Ever been to one of his shows? We have." At that point my friends confirmed he did, as did a couple of other kids that had seen a live vid on MTV or something... I thought her head was going to explode... :lmao:

Mr. Vengeance
06-12-2013, 05:45 PM
I was really pissed off when they wrote "After Forever".....

After all I had done for them, it looked like they were switching teams. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

Ahh yes, Satan, but they were Born Again on this classic album!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/SabbathBorn.jpg

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 08:48 PM

Then why make an album ??

This bullshit is nothing more than a cash grab...

lesfunk
06-12-2013, 08:51 PM
It's not as bad as I initially thought. it's a grower but not a classic

lesfunk
06-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Then why make an album ??

This bullshit is nothing more than a cash grab...

that's bullshit. It's the best album they could make. Unfortunately, like many classic artists, they are no longer capable of equaling their best work.

Von Halen
06-12-2013, 09:09 PM
"Peace Of Mind" is my favorite song!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Yeah, about the only good song is a bonus track...

That sounds like a totally different animal than the rest of the boring crap...

An album like that would be just fine...

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 09:21 PM
That really is a good song...

The only one I've heard so far...

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 09:23 PM

Finally...

I'm digging a song...

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Hey, is that something someone edited down from a twelve minute snooze fest ??

Diamondjimi
06-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Downloaded this fucker today. I'll listen to it tomorrow....

Fuck $haron O$pig. She ain't gettin a penny of my hard earned dough...

Terry
06-12-2013, 09:29 PM
I went into this album trying to keep and open mind. The early comments didn't lead me to expect much, but it isn't bad. But I did keep an open mind. I see too much of this from fans- they get attached to a band, and then expect that same initial "pop" that they got when they first discovered the band. Never going to happen. Especially when you discover a band as a kid and then follow them into your adulthood. People change. Bands change. Styles change.

Nothing drives me nuts more than the fan of a band who says, "Everything they've done since (insert album here) sucks." Everyone knows this guy- "Aerosmith hasn't done anything good since Draw the Line"..."The Stones haven't put out anything good since Tattoo You"..."Ozzy's sucked since Bark at the Moon", etc....

Yeah...but The Stones really haven't put out anything good since Tattoo You, though...

In general sense, you're right, though: it's not realistic to expect Sabbath 2013 to come up with anything that is gonna be as immediate, or direct, as those first Sabbath albums. Things do change. The circumstances the band is in now are obviously much different now than they were in 1969, when nobody gave two shits who Black Sabbath was and the music industry approach to a band like Black Sabbath was to throw 'em a few bucks, let 'em make a record however the fuck they wanted, then try and make a few more bucks than were initally invested after the record is finished.

With a band like Sabbath, not having Ward there wasn't a deal-breaker for me, since I like Sabbath stuff from all different periods of the band. To be truthful, after several (fairly recent) excellent years of working with Dio again, the announcement that Ozzy was rejoining the group was a bit underwhelming to me. I was interested to see what the original four could come up with, but Ward bailed, Tony got sick, everything got delayed and Ozzy live these days isn't that special anymore: the stuff I've heard as of late isn't nearly as good as what Dio was doing live with the band in 2007.

What sort of roused my interest in late 2011 with the initial announcement and press conference has kinda degenerated into a feeling of "oh, is that Black Sabbath reunion still happening?"

Von Halen
06-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Finally...

I'm digging a song...

Hey Elvis, the bonus disc is better than the main disc!

Mr. Vengeance
06-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Yeah...but The Stones really haven't put out anything good since Tattoo You, though...

Ehh I disagree. I think that they haven't put out an album as GOOD as Tattoo You, but they've put out some good stuff. Undercover was a good album. Voodoo Lounge had some good stuff. Bigger Bang had good stuff.

Satan
06-12-2013, 10:34 PM
And here's the song that's not even on most of the bonus discs..... except at Best Buy......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqh6Gdd1gBo

.... who the fuck decided which tracks made the album and which ones were "bonus" and "ultra rare only in one goddamned store bonus"??

Sharon???

(This sounds a little like Time Machine off Dehmanizer though, don't it? )

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Wow, that's a good song too...

Kinda Hot Line-ish...

Can I just buy the bonus disc ??

ELVIS
06-12-2013, 11:02 PM
How much is the Best Buy crap gonna set me back ??

Satan
06-12-2013, 11:21 PM
How much is the Best Buy crap gonna set me back ??

Right now it's 15.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/13+%28Best+Buy+Exclusive%29+-+CD/8980119.p?id=2699899&skuId=8980119

The "regular" version is 11.99, so 4 dollars more for 4 songs..... guess that's not too bad.

Unfortunately there are no Best Buys in Hell http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

ThrillsNSpills
06-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Everyone online slagged Oz's Down to Earth album but I think it's got some amazing stuff on it.
It took a couple listens though. Some albums are immediately accessible and others take a while to appreciate the changes in the songs, and then others of course are in the wtf category.

ELVIS
06-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Yeah, but that naivete song is the shit...

sonrisa salvaje
06-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Media reports are saying that Sabbath will have the #1 album (i think we all realized that). However, they are projecting the first week's sales to be around 120k. That surprises me. Based on ADKOT's first week sales, Van Halen will dust Sabbath with far less promotion than what Sabbath has had leading up to this record. Folks may have not been impressed with God is Dead but then again Tattoo wasn't the best single to lead with either.
I would have figured Sabbath would have at least been around the 200k to 250k mark but i guess 120k is not that bad when you consider the singer sucks, the production is bad, the music is boring, the cover art is too simple, the liner note font is uninspiring and Ozzy is captured farting at the end of the recording.

Kristy
06-13-2013, 02:10 PM
You cretins are now discovering this album was made only for the money and that Sharron didn't have a hand in the negotiations? Last I heard, Phil Collins is still making records. You'd be better off with one of those.

ThrillsNSpills
06-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Last I heard, Phil Collins is still making records. You'd be better off with one of those.

If we were nutty enough to listen to artists that we hate, I'm sure we'd throw away 45 minutes of life on a phool collins record.

Kristy
06-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Sad reality remains that even Phil Collins has more relevance in today's culture then that Sabbath record.

Coyote
06-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Damn you, Miami Vice! (and GTA: Vice City Stories.)

sonrisa salvaje
06-13-2013, 03:53 PM
You cretins are now discovering this album was made only for the money and that Sharron didn't have a hand in the negotiations? Last I heard, Phil Collins is still making records. You'd be better off with one of those.

You don't even like hard rock and heavy metal music so i don't see how your opinion is relevant.

sonrisa salvaje
06-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Sad reality remains that even Phil Collins has more relevance in today's culture then that Sabbath record.

I don't see how. 120k people in the U.S. are going to buy this record this week. Worldwide who knows what the figure will be. Phil Collins couldn't sell 20k copies of a new record in the U.S. As far as his popularity worldwide i suspect it would be much the same. Of that genre of music, only Madonna seems to still sell enough to make a dent here and abroad. Maybe if Phil had some kind of reunion record with Genesis it could sell a decent amount.

Mr. Vengeance
06-13-2013, 04:17 PM

You knew she was going to eventually chime in on this with something stupid.

Kristy
06-13-2013, 04:24 PM
I don't see how. 120k people in the U.S. are going to buy this record this week. Worldwide who knows what the figure will be. Phil Collins couldn't sell 20k copies of a new record in the U.S. As far as his popularity worldwide i suspect it would be much the same. Of that genre of music, only Madonna seems to still sell enough to make a dent here and abroad. Maybe if Phil had some kind of reunion record with Genesis it could sell a decent amount.
Go on, give Sharon your money.

sonrisa salvaje
06-13-2013, 04:32 PM
All of my money seems to go to females so what is the difference? I figured if anyone could identify with Sharon it would be you.

LoungeMachine
06-13-2013, 04:34 PM

What exactly is "today's culture"?

I haven't seen, read, or heard about Phil in a decade. Is he still big in your circle?

LoungeMachine
06-13-2013, 04:36 PM
I figured if anyone could identify with Sharon it would be you.

They do both seem be experts on something they've never actually done themselves....

78/84 guy
06-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Bought it. It's good. Nothing special. Like most of the music. Ozzy is sounding weird on a lot of it.

Seshmeister
06-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Ozzy is sounding weird on a lot of it.

That's probably due to the extraordinary amount of electronics used to try and fix his singing...

ELVIS
06-14-2013, 02:13 AM

Jamming this again for Von's belated fuckin' birthday...

binnie
06-14-2013, 04:23 AM
That's probably due to the extraordinary amount of electronics used to try and fix his singing...

There seems to be less of that here than on his more recent solo records. Singing in a lower register helps him, but the fact is that he doesn't seem 'weird' so much as 'old'.

ELVIS
06-14-2013, 04:33 AM
I think the vocals on Scream are some of Ozzy's best...

binnie
06-14-2013, 04:35 AM
I'd agree - I think that Kevin Churko deserves a medal for that record.

ELVIS
06-14-2013, 04:42 AM
I don't care for how he edits his own songs with very little guitar workout, but he sure knows how to pull vocals out of Ozzy...

That being said, Ozzy was sober on Scream and wasted on 13 and it shows...

binnie
06-14-2013, 04:44 AM
I'm guessing that Churko wrote most of the tunes on Scream..............

ELVIS
06-14-2013, 04:45 AM
But all of this slagging on Ozzy is not all deserved...

Sabbath would have been nothing without him and when he's half sober and inspired he's a really great vocalist...

Plus, he sang a ton of my favorite songs, so I'm naturally biased...

ELVIS
06-14-2013, 04:47 AM
I'm guessing that Churko wrote most of the tunes on Scream..............

All of them, I thought...

ELVIS
06-14-2013, 04:50 AM
This is a pretty killer song...

Seshmeister
06-14-2013, 04:56 AM
Co-wrote with Ozzy means the other guy wrote it.

I just noticed that the song Bark At the Moon now has Ozzy as the sole writer.

They must have made a mistake on the album credit originally - who knew Ozzy had that in him... :rofl:

ELVIS
06-14-2013, 05:02 AM
When Ozzy dies the albums will say all songs written and performed by Sharon Osbourne...

Mr. Vengeance
06-14-2013, 09:27 AM
As much as I love Dio-era Sab for RJD's superior vocals and range, I love the original Sab for Ozzy's somewhat sloppy, drug fueled vocals. IMO you had to have one or the other. Tony Martin, Glen Hughes, etc....some fine vocalists, but they added nothing to the Sabbath sound. They didn't compliment Iommi or the music- they were just there. Ian Gillan, he was an established singer and brought a whole different dynamic to Sabbath. Born Again, to me, was a classic. But almost defies catagorization.

78/84 guy
06-14-2013, 11:29 PM
As much as I love Dio-era Sab for RJD's superior vocals and range, I love the original Sab for Ozzy's somewhat sloppy, drug fueled vocals. IMO you had to have one or the other. Tony Martin, Glen Hughes, etc....some fine vocalists, but they added nothing to the Sabbath sound. They didn't compliment Iommi or the music- they were just there. Ian Gillan, he was an established singer and brought a whole different dynamic to Sabbath. Born Again, to me, was a classic. But almost defies catagorization.

Well Heaven & Hell & Mob Rules are I.M.O. 2 of the best hard rock albums of all time. If they are true Sabbath albums are another question in itself. I say no without Ozzy, but what it says on the album cover doesn't effect my take on the music. The song Mob Rules might be Tony's best riff ever !

ELVIS
06-15-2013, 02:19 PM
I have no problem calling that stuff Black Sabbath...

78/84 guy
06-16-2013, 12:03 PM
I have no problem calling that stuff Black Sabbath...

Nor do I. I really couldn't care less what the cover says if I like the songs inside. And I like both those albums better than any Sabbath album with Ozzy on it. But at the same time to me a rock band is mostly the guitar player and voice. They used the Sabbath name to make money. I don't blame them or really care, as long as the music gets put out buy a record company. No different than AC/DC. They were building a following for years and just when they were finally getting some attention in America Bon passes way. It's hard to blame them to not want to change the name and start all over. At least it had the ac/dc sound.( Well without the humor ) Unlike Ed's uninspired run with Hag.

FORD
06-23-2013, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhhOU5FUPBE

Unholy shit, they actually made a video?

Didn't know bands did that anymore (since the channels that are supposed to play them DON'T)

ELVIS
06-23-2013, 05:56 PM
There's a video I won't be viewing...

ELVIS
06-24-2013, 08:43 AM
So, on Friday, my wife picked up 13 and it's still sitting in the wrapper waiting to be returned...

Fuck that album...

The only version I'd even contemplate opening is the Best Buy bonus disc and our Best Buy doesn't have it...

FUCK!

78/84 guy
06-24-2013, 06:36 PM
So, on Friday, my wife picked up 13 and it's still sitting in the wrapper waiting to be returned...

Fuck that album...

The only version I'd even contemplate opening is the Best Buy bonus disc and our Best Buy doesn't have it...

FUCK!

It's not that bad. My god you think John Denver is good ! I only listened to it twice but enjoyed it. The Best Buy version. Ozzy is the weak link but the music is cool. I couldn't care less Gezer wrote the lyrics the night before or whatever because I couldn't care less about lyrics for the most part. Unless they are pure cheese. You worry too much ! Lol.

FORD
06-24-2013, 06:41 PM

Fuck that album...

FUCK!

Buy the damn thing from BestBuy.com and listen to it on a real stereo. You won't regret it.

ELVIS
06-24-2013, 08:09 PM
I listen to everything on a real stereo...

And a much better one than most people have...

The album is boring as fuck...

The new Megadeth kills it by far...

Mr. Vengeance
06-25-2013, 08:06 PM

Fuck that album...

FUCK!

Come on dude, get over it. It's pretty good.

ThrillsNSpills
06-27-2013, 09:34 AM
I actually heard a blurb on the radio yesterday that Ozzy admitted that he did this for the cash grab.....gee, no shit?