Is Political Conservatism a mild form of insanity?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Is Political Conservatism a mild form of insanity?

To quote Jane's Addiction, "It's not shocking."

Is Political Conservatism a Mild Form of Insanity?

A few years ago I was standing on the deck of a beach house on the 4th of July and a person who had obviously drunk too much told me, “The secret of my life is that I always need someone to hate.”

I was reminded of this exchange while watching the stupendously ruthless Republican National Convention over the last several days. Is there anything that conservatives do not hate? Maybe drilling. In fact, they appear utterly phallically obsessed with drilling (a practice that, in about 10 years or so, might reduce gas prices by 2 or 3 cents per gallon). But otherwise, what we learned from the recent hatefest is that Republicans hate community organizers, liberals (surprise!), Madonna, the “east coast elite,” the “angry left” media, trial lawyers, people who are too smart, people who are “cosmopolitan”—the list goes on into eternity.

Listening to this litany on Wednesday night in particular reminded me of a research article that came out roughly 5 years ago on political conservatism and motivated social cognition (Jost, Glaser, Kruglanski & Sulloway, “Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition,” Psychological Bulletin). In a nutshell, the article—by Stanford and UC Berkeley researchers—seems to suggest that conservatism is a mild form of insanity.

Here are the facts. A meta-analysis culled from 88 samples in 12 countries, and with an N of 22,818, revealed that “several psychological variables predicted political conservatism.” Which variables exactly? In order of predictive power: Death anxiety, system instability, dogmatism/intolerance of ambiguity, closed-mindedness, low tolerance of uncertainty, high needs for order, structure, and closure, low integrative complexity, fear of threat and loss, and low self-esteem. The researchers conclude, a little chillingly, that “the core ideology of conservatism stresses resistance to change and a justification of inequality.”

The above list of variables is more than a little unsavory. We are talking about someone full of fear, with a poor sense of self, and a lack of mental dexterity. I always tell my students that tolerance of ambiguity is one especially excellent mark of psychological maturity. It isn’t a black and white world. According to the research, conservatives possess precisely the opposite: an intolerance of ambiguity and an inability to deal with complexity. Maybe that’s one reason why Obama seems so distasteful to them: he is a nuanced, multi-faceted thinker who can see things from several different perspectives simultaneously. And he isn’t preaching fear, either.
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Given the NRA ad and the shit coming from Mush Limpdick today, I don't think you can say it's a "mild" form at all. More like severely chronic insanity.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

No.

My idea of conservatism is the US government not borrowing 40 cents from China for every dollar it spends. My idea of conservatism is to follow the laws already on the books instead of issuing executive orders to create new ones. The equality issue is a red herring meant to stifle any opposition. I'm a conservative and I'm all for women's rights, gay rights, animal rights, and fetal rights.

Obama's interested in worrying about the future of our children. He would do a hell of lot more for our kids by controlling our debt instead of controlling assault rifles. Why doesn't he issue an executive order for every department to do a full-scale audit on how they are spending our tax dollars?

Comment

• lesfunk
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

There's plenty of insanity on both sides to go around...
        http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Warham
          No.
          My idea of conservatism is to follow the laws already on the books instead of issuing executive orders to create new ones.
          AMEN to that...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

No.

Why doesn't he issue an executive order for every department to do a full-scale audit on how they are spending our tax dollars?
            Why doesn't your RePuke led House do it?

Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

. My idea of conservatism is to follow the laws already on the books instead of issuing executive orders to create new ones.

You mean like this one?

Don't remember you complaining about Chimpy's EO's

Originally posted by Kristy
              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
              Originally posted by cadaverdog
              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Warham
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                Why doesn't your RePuke led House do it?

Because Harry Reid would never let it get anywhere in the Senate. When was the last time he passed a budget?

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Because Harry Reid would never let it get anywhere in the Senate. When was the last time he passed a budget?
                  Geez War, you just opened a can of worms up with knucklebone on this one. He says a budget isn't necessary.
                  “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Warham
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

If I have to be a budget in my household, then I expect the federal government to be on one when they are taking more and more of my money and using it.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

My idea of conservatism is the US government not borrowing 40 cents from China for every dollar it spends.
                      Well War, it's too bad you didn't work in the White House before the conservative Dubya spend billions on two wars, Medicare drug benefits and the Bush tax cuts without paying for them....

Or doesn't that count?
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

It all counts and it didn't start with Bush...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          It all counts and it didn't start with Bush...
                          Never said it did, but if you're gonna make an overall statement about borrowing 40 cents on the dollar from China in the present tense, then you also need to put in the past tense as well, because that was certainly one of the causes....
                          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Yeah, but at some point you have to get back to reality and STOP THE SPENDING!!!

But I don't think most politicians really believe there is a problem because they don't feel it...

Comment

• Matt White
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              Yeah, but at some point you have to get back to reality and STOP THE SPENDING!!!
                              True enough...simple economics....& the other side of that coin is to end Corporate Welfare...not taxing these "Global New World Order" Corporations ran the bill thru the roof.....isn't that called "Starve the Beast"?!? Wait......I've heard that somewhere before

Comment

Working...