PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Riot at the US Festival '83 - Full Show

Va Beach VH Fan
02-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Trying to decide if QR or the Crue sounded better (or worse) there....

jhale667
02-01-2013, 10:15 AM
QR was always a way tighter band than Motley. Tommy's a great drummer, but Carlos and Rudy are better at their respective instruments than are Mick and Nikki IMO.

Of course I'm slightly biased... :biggrin:

:guitar:

BITEYOASS
02-01-2013, 10:38 AM
I'd like to see Nikki Sixx play a bass upside-down. Rudy Sarzo FTW!

chefcraig
02-01-2013, 10:56 AM
QR was always a way tighter band than Motley.

That's pretty much like saying that Richard Simmons was more macho than Liberace. You and me both could play rings around Sarzo on the bass, with little or no practice. Just listen to the fumble-fingered playing on that live Tribute album for any further proof.

jhale667
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
I've read Nikki's account of auditioning for QR, but Dubrow's recollection was... vastly different, let's just say... :hee:

jhale667
02-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Frankie Banali is one of the best rock drummers alive. PERIOD.

Kristy
02-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Frankie sucks balls.

jhale667
02-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Prove you can play better or STFU, Krustofferson you failed male prostitute.

Nitro Express
02-01-2013, 11:56 AM
That's pretty much like saying that Richard Simmons was more macho than Liberace. You and me both could play rings around Sarzo on the bass, with little or no practice. Just listen to the fumble-fingered playing on that live Tribute album for any further proof.

As long as you lick your fingers a lot and look cool, you can get away with it. Why do you think so many kids wanted to be rock stars? Rudy made it look like anyone could do it.

Mr. Vengeance
02-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Motley was so upset with their performance they tried for ages to prevent it from being released. QR did pretty well.

Hardrock69
02-02-2013, 04:53 AM
Frankie gots a good fucking drum sound.

Never got to see them live. Met Kevin once in the back room at FM Station. Saw Carlos play a club gig a couple of years ago at a benefit show.

Have seen Rudy a lot of times with everybody he has played for, lol. His fucking tone on this is ok, but has no fucking balls. It should sound like it is rumbling the fucking place.

:hee:

Coyote
02-02-2013, 05:33 AM
Motley was so upset with their performance they tried for ages to prevent it from being released.

After reading "The Dirt" again... Should they have ever had a career at all?

Nitro Express
02-02-2013, 05:53 AM
After reading "The Dirt" again... Should they have ever had a career at all?

I need to read that book. I somehow think it's full of stories like,"We were so wasted on heroine that we would just piss on ourselves in bed and even shit in bed because we were too wasted to move." or "We wouldn't bathe for days and if you took off our leather pants it would smell worse than a barnyard. That being said, the groupies still wanted to suck our cocks and did."

WARF
02-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Let's compare NOTES!

I think Motley Crue is the winner!

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4hM_zqUzqTw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4hM_zqUzqTw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Coyote
02-02-2013, 06:39 AM
I need to read that book. I somehow think it's full of stories like,"We were so wasted on heroine that we would just piss on ourselves in bed and even shit in bed because we were too wasted to move." or "We wouldn't bathe for days and if you took off our leather pants it would smell worse than a barnyard. That being said, the groupies still wanted to suck our cocks and did."

Well, sort of... One story includes the boys sticking their dicks in... Wait for it... Tacos. 'Cause that was their way of getting rid of the scent of non-girlfriend pussy. (The book never did say if they were ever introduced to the concept of water or showers...)

Mr. Vengeance
02-02-2013, 09:08 AM
I thought that out of all the bands, these guys sounded best and had the highest energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94e3VFvgPoI

ELVIS
02-02-2013, 09:16 AM
What a horrible intro...

But after that and the first song they sound good and way better than the Motley performance...

But Mick Mars mops the floor with Cavazo any day...

Every solo on every Motley record is catchy and memorable and Mars always does a pretty good live job...

The only thing entertaining about Quiet Riot is Kevin Dubrow, RIP...

:elvis:

Va Beach VH Fan
02-02-2013, 09:24 AM
I thought that out of all the bands, these guys sounded best and had the highest energy.

I agree, Scorpions had a great set, Priest had a pretty good one too, although I think the bands that played during the daytime were at a disadvantage.....

ELVIS
02-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Triumph kicked ass in the daytime...

:killer:

Fairwrning
02-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Triumph was awesome..good call..

envy_me
02-02-2013, 11:32 AM

The book is entertaining to a point. But it doesn't make you like the band members. At least not Nikki and Vince. Tommy and Mick seem kind of okay. I don't know... I don't like that band.

TJMKID
02-02-2013, 11:45 AM
If Quiet Riot played like this at the US Festival --- they would have won over more fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVxYWJOpEQ4

jhale667
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Let's compare NOTES!

I think Motley Crue is the winner!

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4hM_zqUzqTw?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4hM_zqUzqTw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

C'mon, sure they look cooler, but musically they're all over the ranch... and sound at least as if not more drunk than VH did for their set.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-02-2013, 03:14 PM
C'mon, sure they look cooler, but musically they're all over the ranch... and sound at least as if not more drunk than VH did for their set.

Especially Vince, he was horrible....

SunisinuS
02-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Fucking Geez the poor fucking sap with that fat chick on his shoulders at 1:33 of the QR link must have a stellar chiropractor.

Nitro Express
02-02-2013, 03:22 PM
The book is entertaining to a point. But it doesn't make you like the band members. At least not Nikki and Vince. Tommy and Mick seem kind of okay. I don't know... I don't like that band.

They always seemed like a novelty item to me. Motley came out when I was old enough to not care about such things and never really payed attention to them. I had been into KISS in my grade school and Jr. High years. By the time I was in high school I was past the costumes and makeup thing.

Nitro Express
02-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Fucking Geez the poor fucking sap with that fat chick on his shoulders at 1:33 of the QR link must have a stellar chiropractor.

LOL! He probably wants her around because she can spray her cum across the room.

Hardrock69
02-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Christ. Vince Neil sounded like shit just as much as he does.....ever.

He sounds like a whiny 13-year-old.....idiot....

Coyote
02-03-2013, 03:20 PM

Mick seems to be the smartest of that bunch, in more ways than one...

Terry
02-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Motley was so upset with their performance they tried for ages to prevent it from being released. QR did pretty well.

Vince Neil sucks live.

Not that he's really any great shakes in the studio, either, but when he has to sing in a live situation it gets that much worse.

He sucked at the Us Fest. He sucked when I saw them in 1984...Neil is a hack. I'd say the same of Nikki Sixx, but he wrote quite a few of their songs...although they ARE Motley Crue songs, so maybe I'm giving him too much credit...

Tommy Lee was always the most interesting thing going for that band, although I liked what Mick Mars did, guitar-wise: Mars certainly didn't reinvent the instrument, but I like his goofy style.

Terry
02-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Saw QR once in 1983. It was my first hard rock concert I got to go to without a chaperone. They opened up for Black Sabbath on the Born Again tour. Suffice it to say Black Sabbath blew Quiet Riot out of the water...like, in a big way to the point where it was embarrassing.

However, got shows of them at the US Fest and at Dortmund (same year), and unless there was some major post-show production, the Dortmund show was pretty good far as QR went.

FORD
02-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Still say the original Quiet Riot was the only version that mattered.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2A--JC8Lcg