PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: =vh = to headline australian festival april 20-21

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

mh5150
02-16-2013, 09:27 AM
http://link.tapatalk.com/api/click?key=a7e5ffb24b9e84f4f4f6bbd88aa4e5b8&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.adelaidenow.com.au%2Fentertai nment%2Fdavid-lee-roth-billy-joel-to-headline-stone-music-festival%2Fstory-e6fredpu-1226579471127&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vhlinks.com%2Fvbforums&subid=c15a8669f594397efb3fa90138fffaae

David Lee Roth, Billy Joel to headline Stone Music Festival
Kathy McCabe, National Music Writer
February 16, 2013 11:31PM

BILLY Joel and Van Halen will headline a surprise addition to the Australian festival calendar inspired by the '70s cult biker film Stone.

The vintage rockers will perform at the inaugural Stone Music Festival at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium over the April 20 and 21 weekend.

It will be a one-off event with hard rock supergroup Kings Of Chaos, Richie Ramone, Buckcherry, Lifehouse and Illumination Road also confirmed for the bill.

Major Australian rock acts, including some reunited 90s chart-toppers, are also expected to be named on the bill in the lead-up to tickets going on sale on Thursday.

Joel is renowned for his love of motorcycles which puts him in the frame for the event while Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth said the film had been discovered in America via “cinephiles” like Quentin Tarantino.

Van Halen have been courted by several Australian promoters to tour here in recent years.

The wonderfully eccentric Lee Roth, who lives in Tokyo with his Australian cattle dog Russell, said he had been encouraging his bandmates to tour outside of America.

“The Van Halens are watching from afar and if anything are just becoming aware that maybe he’s onto something,” Lee Roth said.

He said he was looking to “sharing some strong drink and bulls… stories” with their co-headliner Joel.

The promoters have also joined forces with fans of the 1974 film to recreate The Stone Run, a motorcycle ride down the F3 freeway which was held in 1999 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the movie.

Back then, about 34,000 mates and movie fans took part.

A single day ticket for the festival starts at $179 and a weekend pass at $319 and go on sale from noon on Thursday.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Added "report" to the title....

Va Beach VH Fan
02-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Another one...

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/van-halen-jump-at-chance-of-anzac-gig-20130216-2ejud.html

Van Halen jump at chance of Anzac gig
February 17, 2013

Linda Morris
Features writer

IT'S BEEN off and on again for the past couple of years.

Now it's been confirmed - Van Halen, with their flamboyant frontman, David Lee Roth, is coming to Australia for the first time in a quarter of a century to headline a brand new weekend music festival.

The inaugural Stone Festival at Sydney's ANZ Stadium will also feature the original piano man, Billy Joel, the surviving Ramone, and high-profile Australian acts in what promoters bill as a once-in-a-lifetime music celebration timed for the Anzac Day weekend.

The two-day event will feature a commemorative motorcycle ride and hot rod show.

Although he is approaching 60, age has not wearied Roth. The lead singer ties back his long blond mane these days and has shed the skintight spandex tights.

He carries impact injuries from his robust stage act but continues to choreograph those aerobic leg split jumps.

''Nostalgia is the unrelaxed grip on the past because of the fear of the future,'' Roth said.

''It is an artist's sole responsibility to reflect their life - so whether you are a Beatle or an Andy Warhol or a music classic rocker, let's move ahead. If you are clinging to an old image it becomes kind of pathological, one-dimensional.''

Van Halen last toured Australia in 1998. This will be the first time the original line-up of the Van Halen brothers and Roth have graced these shores.

Their absence has not been for Roth's lack of interest. ''You'll have to ask the rhythm section [why]'', Roth quips.

He alludes to the acrimony that has mired Van Halen. ''They [the brothers] have approached their life from a much more traditional standpoint. They have families, they celebrate birthdays, they sleep regular hours more often than not; I'm truly a wanderer.''

Roth says Australian audiences can expect a playlist reflecting the band's heavy metal roots, its flamboyant pop tunes and tracks from the band's critically lauded 2012 album, A Different Kind of Truth.

''We are one of the few acts that could open for a Jimmy Buffett on one night and play with Metallica on the other and still move with alarming credibility.''

Roth remains unmarried and lives in Tokyo where he learns Japanese, sword play and Japanese fine arts.

''What I do have is groupies who are on their first and second divorces,'' he said. ''They email me in advance and describe exactly what they are going to be wearing.

''Yes, I do have issues.''

ashstralia
02-16-2013, 09:54 AM
in other news, ice cream is cold.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-16-2013, 09:57 AM
in other news, ice cream is cold.

If/when you find some others, link them here....

VHscraps
02-16-2013, 10:20 AM
My first thought is - Is it a hoax ! ... Some DLR impersonator pulling a fast one on the Aussie media? Did the report in The Age say 'These days Roth ties his long blong hair in a ponytail'.

Really ... last pics I saw of him in Tokyo his hair was still short.

Well, whatever - maybe Dave's Rolling Stone interview last week was a way for him and Alex (the not-so-subtle mentions of regular contact) applying some pressure to Ed.

Is Wolfgang still on tour with some other band?

I'll belive it when it appears on the official VH website

vaijuju
02-16-2013, 10:32 AM
what's about the festival's webside ?

seems good

http://www.stonemusicfest.com/membersarea/members/

http://i72.servimg.com/u/f72/17/04/37/89/1_lrg_10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=830&u=17043789)

VAiN
02-16-2013, 10:46 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/16/upa6any8.jpg
I'm getting flashbacks..

78/84 guy
02-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Very cool shit......if it indeed happens.

Funny thing about VH these days. No matter what is said in print or on a contract, it's hard to believe it until WE see it wiith our naked steaming eye's ! Lol. I thought we were all getting a little carried away with thr Rolling Stone comments he had. Time will tell.

clarathecarrot
02-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Ok I am corrected by the posters a...but it sure looked like to me at first DLR to headline...then VH to headline in the second article...I was like wich is it DLR or VH..?

Seems like they are promoting DLR and Billy Joel .

I was all grooving with thinking who DLR was going to line up as his band...lol..?

clarathecarrot
02-16-2013, 10:54 AM
..and remember the last time they were set for Australia it all fell apart just weeks before the show I think the whole weekend concert was cancelled.

mh5150
02-16-2013, 10:59 AM
VHND.COM just confirmed...

http://www.vhnd.com/2013/02/16/van-halen-to-play-australia-in-april/

78/84 guy
02-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Cool. Not to far off. Hope it's filmed so I can find a boot of it. Lol.

ZahZoo
02-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Hmmm... well we'll just have to sit back and see what unfolds here...

VHscraps
02-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I grant you, I may be too cynical, but a "stellar lineup of legendary international and Australian acts to be announced"?

Below those announced on the bill apart from Joel & VH?

Seems pretty close to the event ... to just be lining up legends etc.

78/84 guy
02-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Well it's hard to find big crowds of people to play in front of these days. More acts will come if they get a call.

BITEYOASS
02-16-2013, 11:15 AM
OK Eddie, you better not back out on the......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6xp54Y39uM

This song always pops up whenever I get a bonus. :bigwink:

Droomer5150
02-16-2013, 11:17 AM
NO! F*CK NO! If this is true and they do end up playing...looks like I got screwed over again! I live in Perth and don't have the money to fly over. FFS. why. WHY!!!??

Soundwave Rev part 2

PETE'S BROTHER
02-16-2013, 11:22 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/16/upa6any8.jpg
I'm getting flashbacks..

no shit! i'm stayin' stateside this time ;)

PETE'S BROTHER
02-16-2013, 11:33 AM
..and remember the last time they were set for Australia it all fell apart just weeks before the show I think the whole weekend concert was cancelled.

we saw this show instead....

vandeleur
02-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Fuck make this true ....

sadaist
02-16-2013, 12:14 PM
i got a copy on my photobucket. Now it will have a friend with this new one.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/sadaist/Van%20Halen/VH-soundwave.jpg

clarathecarrot
02-16-2013, 12:26 PM
we saw this show instead....

It is a good story for the book of making and good from a bad,around the old timers table when the topic is; well sonny let's gramps tell you about the time....

VHscraps
02-16-2013, 12:36 PM
So, this Stone Festival - in celebration of a 1974 biker movie - names VH, Billy Joel and the Kings of Chaos (amongst others). As a premise for a festival, it seems ... novel! I have to keep checking it is not April 1st.

I just can't help being sceptical - even though VHND says it had the story confirmed by someone connected to the band.

In these days of instant info, maybe I am being impatient - but it is odd that not one of the acts, or their members - websites, twitter, facebook - makes any mention of this gig, which would seem to be a big deal - held in the 2000 Sydney Olympic Stadium - and there are some twitter posts in the last few hours from members of Kings of Chaos, but no one saying "hey dudes, we're playing an 83,000 stadium with the mighty VH".

Is this a promoter jumping the gun ... or ... something ... else ...

FORD
02-16-2013, 12:43 PM
OK, now that I see the poster and see that it's a two day festival, it makes a little more sense. My first impulse was "what the fuck are Van Halen and Billy Joel doing on the same bill"??

Not that I don't like some of Billy's older stuff, but it definitely would be two different audiences there.

Angel
02-16-2013, 12:47 PM
So, this Stone Festival - in celebration of a 1974 biker movie - names VH, Billy Joel and the Kings of Chaos (amongst others). As a premise for a festival, it seems ... novel! I have to keep checking it is not April 1st.

I just can't help being sceptical - even though VHND says it had the story confirmed by someone connected to the band.

In these days of instant info, maybe I am being impatient - but it is odd that not one of the acts, or their members - websites, twitter, facebook - makes any mention of this gig, which would seem to be a big deal - held in the 2000 Sydney Olympic Stadium - and there are some twitter posts in the last few hours from members of Kings of Chaos, but no one saying "hey dudes, we're playing an 83,000 stadium with the mighty VH".

Is this a promoter jumping the gun ... or ... something ... else ...

The Van Halen a Different Kind of Timeline FB page has posted it...

VHscraps
02-16-2013, 12:55 PM

Would that be an alternate reality timeline!

VHscraps
02-16-2013, 12:56 PM
OK, now that I see the poster and see that it's a two day festival, it makes a little more sense. My first impulse was "what the fuck are Van Halen and Billy Joel doing on the same bill"??

Not that I don't like some of Billy's older stuff, but it definitely would be two different audiences there.

This is an 83,000 seat stadium - probably holds more if need be when used for concerts. Are they really gonna sell out TWO days of this, with only two big name acts ...

Hopefully I am wrong, but I'm just not buying it at the moment.

VHscraps
02-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Maybe my mind is befuddled, but I seem to remember reading an interview with Billy Joel back in the 80s, and I am pretty certain that he said Eddie Van Halen had met with him about the possibility of co-producing what became the album 5150 ...

damngoodtimes
02-16-2013, 01:27 PM
this is two full months ahead of the Japan dates. I would actually feel better if it was closer to those dates; better chance of filling in a few more Aussie shows, maybe NZ and make it one trip.

This seems much more likely to be two separate deals.

I'd like to see enough activity where it becomes a real tour again and we start to see summer dates in the states. maybe...

sadaist
02-16-2013, 01:28 PM

True dat. I also dig me some Billy Joel. Not really his obscure stuff, but the 20 greatest hits are songs everyone pretty much knows & loves. Id pay to go see him.

FORD
02-16-2013, 01:54 PM
I thought about going to that concert a few years back when he was touring with Elton John, and they were playing on each other's material and what not. Seemed like an interesting concept for a tour. Didn't end up going, but I got a bootleg of that tour somewhere......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va83waG42NM

Not sure if I could see Billy actually on stage with Van Halen though :biggrin:

chi-town324
02-16-2013, 02:06 PM
if it is indeed true it's very good news... been some kind of week for the band huh?

Zing!
02-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Hmmm... DLR talks at length in his book about 'foment.' Is that what he's doing right now?

Like anything else VH, I'll believe it when I see it...

FORD
02-16-2013, 02:11 PM
if it is indeed true it's very good news... been some kind of week for the band huh?

Maybe someone in camp VH decided they had to put some "positive" news out there to contradict the negative impressions that a lot of folks took away from Dave's interview in Rolling Stone?

Hey, whatever works....... though if this turns out to be a false start too, I don't think they will have a single fan left in Australia. And I couldn't blame them.

VHscraps
02-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Hmmm... DLR talks at length in his book about 'foment.' Is that what he's doing right now?

Well, the promoter's sure got a LOT of work to do to sell out an 83,000 capacity stadium for two nights in a row in approx. 8 weeks with such a glittering cast of big-draw acts - especially as the ONLY mention of this Festival (that has been set-up to celebrate an obscure 1974 biker movie ... I have to keep reminding myself) is in relation to this Van Halen / Billy Joel story today.

I tell you. This story is total hogwash.

TJMKID
02-16-2013, 02:44 PM
This is two full months ahead of the Japan dates. I would actually feel better if it was closer to those dates; better chance of filling in a few more Aussie shows, maybe NZ and make it one trip.

That's why I'm suspecting this Stone Music Festival could turn out to be Soundwave Debacle Part 2. Why is VH flying all their concert gear 8,000 miles from CA to Australia just to play one show? Why not book several dates in the big cities --- they'd surely draw as much as the cringeworthy Fairy Cherone tour in '98, no ??

Be a nice way to fill up the time before packing it all up and shipping it 3,000 miles for the Japan gigs in late June. I mean, fuck --- make an Asia tour out of it and hit Singapore, Thailand, and China for some dates and rake in the cash! Eddie and Alex have never been to their mother's homeland in Indonesia so they could make some nostalgia family time visiting with Wolfie there.

FORD
02-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Maybe Ac/Dc will let them borrow their stuff? :biggrin:

TJMKID
02-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Maybe Ac/Dc will let them borrow their stuff? :biggrin:

Hard to say --- Angus called VH a "pop band" at the '84 Donington Festival so Ed probably hasn't forgiven him for that!

I'd bet it's going to be cheapest concert gear they can rent Down Under. Seems like a really huge expense to fly all your shit 8,000 miles for one gig. Madonna or U2 would do it because they know they'll be making $30 million+ at several shows before they leave the continent.

twonabomber
02-16-2013, 03:11 PM
That's why I'm suspecting this Stone Music Festival could turn out to be Soundwave Debacle Part 2. Why is VH flying all their concert gear 8,000 miles from CA to Australia just to play one show? Why not book several dates in the big cities --- they'd surely draw as much as the cringeworthy Fairy Cherone tour in '98, no ??

I'm sure the Fender rep there can get a backline of 5150 III's and whatever Wolfgang is using. The main PA, monitors, stage, and lighting will be provided by the festival. All Ed's gotta bring is a few guitars and pedalboard, maybe Al's kit from last year...but yeah, going for one show doesn't make sense, then having to go back that way for the Japanese shows. Unless they camp out in Hawaii in between gigs.

FORD
02-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Hard to say --- Angus called VH a "pop band" at the '84 Donington Festival so Ed probably hasn't forgiven him for that!

Well, considering what Eddie did after 1984 (and Jump & I'll Wait, for that matter) I'd say he proved Angus right. So there wouldn't be much point in Ed holding a grudge based on that.

Dan
02-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Damn, Only 2 1/2 Flying Time From Me.:hitch:

PETE'S BROTHER
02-16-2013, 04:56 PM
not alot of places to preparty at the olympic village :(

Dan
02-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Kings-Cross For party and Hookers.:D

FORD
02-16-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm sure the Fender rep there can get a backline of 5150 III's and whatever Wolfgang is using. The main PA, monitors, stage, and lighting will be provided by the festival. All Ed's gotta bring is a few guitars and pedalboard, maybe Al's kit from last year...but yeah, going for one show doesn't make sense, then having to go back that way for the Japanese shows. Unless they camp out in Hawaii in between gigs.

Or they stay at Dave's house in Tokyo?

(Yeah, not likely :biggrin: )

ashstralia
02-16-2013, 08:43 PM
you'll all excuse my scepticism i hope...

Coyote
02-16-2013, 08:50 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3p4moy.jpg

Hardrock69
02-16-2013, 10:05 PM
I thought VH was playing Aussieland and Japan in April/May anyway? What is this rubbish about a "single show"???

Jetstream
02-16-2013, 11:58 PM
I can hear Edward now talking to the band, "Ok, we are going to take baby steps...just one show, let us not talk about anything else."
Dave then responds, "That is bullshit, they are gonna ask what the future plans are...are we really just coming here for one show when we like have hardly ever been here."
Edward then retorts while Dave's dog Russ starts growling at Ed's dog Kody who is taking nips as him, "Shut up or I will kick you in the balls."
In the corner of the room, Al continues a lecture on how Starbucks coffee is about selling milk to Wolfgang :)

Nitro Express
02-17-2013, 12:14 AM
If Ed crawled back into the Smoking Loon bottle, we're fucked.

Nitro Express
02-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Kicking ass and taking names. Mike was even cool.

I'll have The Bull.

Nitro Express
02-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Hey Bill. I didn't know you were an actor. Them girls didn't earn their keep on the dance floor that's for sure. LOL!

FORD
02-17-2013, 01:11 AM
You gotta wonder if there's any tapes of those club gigs out there somewhere that are actually listenable.

I probably have a copy of that Gazzari's show somewhere, but it's one I downloaded in MP3 form back in the Napster days, and never bothered upgrading it, because the FLAC version wouldn't have sounded any better.

Nitro Express
02-17-2013, 01:19 AM
You gotta wonder if there's any tapes of those club gigs out there somewhere that are actually listenable.

I probably have a copy of that Gazzari's show somewhere, but it's one I downloaded in MP3 form back in the Napster days, and never bothered upgrading it, because the FLAC version wouldn't have sounded any better.

It would be nice to have good video and recordings but I'm glad we have something of a historical record.

FORD
02-17-2013, 03:21 AM
I just can't believe by the mid 70's nobody got a better recording than that. Shit, I've heard early Quarrymen (Beatles) demos from fucking 1958 that sound better than these tapes, and you know John & Paul probably weren't using a top of the line multi-track recorder in those days.

sadaist
02-17-2013, 04:58 AM
Dave is going gray. I'm going gray. We all are going gray. Lame.

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/02/17/1226579/449222-david-lee-roth.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/music/david-lee-roth-billy-joel-to-headline-stone-music-festival/story-e6frf9hf-1226579740983

Van Halen, Billy Joel heading Down Under

Kathy McCabe, National Music Writer
February 17, 2013 3:05PM

DLR Bridge
02-17-2013, 05:39 AM

That page has some amazing pictures.

DLR Bridge
02-17-2013, 05:43 AM
Maybe my mind is befuddled, but I seem to remember reading an interview with Billy Joel back in the 80s, and I am pretty certain that he said Eddie Van Halen had met with him about the possibility of co-producing what became the album 5150 ...

I thought the story was that Joel asked Ed to produce Storm Front and Ed was a little to drunk and coked up to pull it together and do it.

DLR Bridge
02-17-2013, 05:47 AM
If this is legit, that God damn Buck Cherry better start thanking their lucky stars. They put out a powerful first CD and have followed it with shit ever since. An now they have a new one out whereby all of the songs are based on the seven sins. There's a page torn right from the Spinal Tap play book for ya.

VHscraps
02-17-2013, 08:01 AM
you'll all excuse my scepticism i hope...

Indeed ...

ya know, I was at Glenn Hughes's Facebook yesterday and today, and he is in Kings of Chaos. Apparently second on the bill on Van Halen's day. He was interacting with people on there yesterday while he was waiting to catch a flight at Minneapolis airport. I posted something about the Stone music festival TWICE, saying "see ya there fella", and after a while both posts disappeared.

So, I'm wondering why does he not want his fans to know about this? The gig looks like a big deal to me - you'd think he'd wanna sell some tickets.

It's 8 weeks to go, and no one is talking about this, apart from this interview with a guy called 'Lee Roth' and a couple of stories that are just taking the same info from the original interview.

Excuse my scepticism ... !! Even if VH have agreed to this, my guess is that the ticket sales will be so poor that it is cancelled.

I guess I am getting so exercised by this because if it was true, I'm thinking of making the trip - seeing as I can't see them coming to Europe, and I have time and funds, whereas I didn't have with the US tour in 2012. But, heck, air fares are fckn non-refundable. I just wish they'd make an official announcement on the band website that they are doing it.

VHscraps
02-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Okay, the event is now detailed at the ANZ stadium website (http://www.anzstadium.com.au/Events/EventCalendar/EventDetails.aspx?EventContentId=832621b5-1608-4fb7-86f5-39014eabf7d4), so I was wrong - it ain't a hoax.

But, whether it ultimately goes ahead will probably depend on ticket sales ... too much of a risk for me to spend a thousand quid on air fare at this point, but we'll see what happens over the coming weeks.

BillikenJohnson
02-17-2013, 08:29 AM

Billiken says...you'll see it when you believe it!

:yo:

Va Beach VH Fan
02-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Kings-Cross For party and Hookers.:D

Concur !! Wild times back in the day....

TJMKID
02-17-2013, 09:16 AM
It's 8 weeks to go, and no one is talking about this, apart from this interview with a guy called 'Lee Roth' and a couple of stories that are just taking the same info from the original interview.

Excuse my scepticism ... !! Even if VH have agreed to this, my guess is that the ticket sales will be so poor that it is cancelled.

Let's start calling this show "Soundwave Fizzle Fest, Part Deux" --- truth in advertising !!

:doh:

gbranton
02-17-2013, 11:25 AM
[url]He said he was looking to “sharing some strong drink and bulls… stories” with their co-headliner Joel.

I hate to bust his bubble but Joel is a recovering alcoholic just like his bandmates.

I love Billy Joel, The Stranger, Glass Houses, 52nd Street, all great stuff.

mh5150
02-17-2013, 11:34 AM
I hate to bust his bubble but Joel is a recovering alcoholic just like his bandmates.

I love Billy Joel, The Stranger, Glass Houses, 52nd Street, all great stuff.

Don't forget coke head

Poison99
02-17-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't know whether to buy tickets for this or not, but I've got about four hours to make up my mind before the pre-sale. VIP standing room for the two days works out at $429. Coming from Melbourne will cost me a small fortune in airfares and accommodation too. I've always said I'd pay any amount to see VH live, but I haven't forgotten the Soundwave debacle. In fact, one of my friends won't risk buying a ticket at all. My concerns have been compounded by this article:

http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/1306493/stone-music-festival-causes-speculation/?cs=12

But veteran Australian music promoter Andrew McManus, who is bringing Guns N' Roses and ZZ Top to Newcastle on March 13, commented on an independently created Stone Music event page this morning to cast doubt on the genuineness of the festival.

"Smells very fishy? Unknown promoters... be very careful punters... you have been warned here!" McManus posted.

When pressed to comment further, on his own Facebook page McManus clarified: "[The promoters have] been saying they have my acts which we are announcing next week... all I can say is be very, very careful and stand by for 60 minutes expose next weekend."

McManus is yet to confirm which acts on the Stone Music Festival bill he is referring to.

The last time I bought tickets to a show put on by an upstart promoter, it was meant to be a Quiet Riot, Warrant and LA Guns triple bill. The show was officially cancelled two hours before it was due to start when it turned out the promoter was in jail, and LA Guns (being the only band that actually got on a flight to come here) had to play two impromptu gigs at a small metal bar to raise the money to get on a flight back to the US.

Fairwrning
02-17-2013, 04:38 PM
I cant help but think this wont happen..has everybody said this already?

Fairwrning
02-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Roth had the RS interview how long before this festival was a done deal??...and he said nothing..

sadaist
02-17-2013, 04:48 PM
I cant help but think this wont happen..has everybody said this already?

What happened to all those US dates they "postponed"? Did those get officially canceled & refunded? Never heard a peep after that about it.

Fairwrning
02-17-2013, 04:51 PM
I still have some hopes for that.They can keep making cash without a new album...

VHscraps
02-17-2013, 05:24 PM
I don't know whether to buy tickets for this or not, but I've got about four hours to make up my mind before the pre-sale. VIP standing room for the two days works out at $429. Coming from Melbourne will cost me a small fortune in airfares and accommodation too. I've always said I'd pay any amount to see VH live, but I haven't forgotten the Soundwave debacle. In fact, one of my friends won't risk buying a ticket at all. My concerns have been compounded by this article:

http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/1306493/stone-music-festival-causes-speculation/?cs=12

Very interesting.

If this whole thing is dodgy, you got to wonder who in the VH camp has negotiated this thing - their manager Irving Azoff retired from running Live Nation recently, but I think it was just to avoid a hefty tax bill. I assume he is still representing Van Halen? He's surely an experienced enough guy to spot some fly-by-night promoters who might be trying to do something other than put on a show ...

mh5150
02-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Very interesting.

If this whole thing is dodgy, you got to wonder who in the VH camp has negotiated this thing - their manager Irving Azoff retired from running Live Nation recently, but I think it was just to avoid a hefty tax bill. I assume he is still representing Van Halen? He's surely an experienced enough guy to spot some fly-by-night promoters who might be trying to do something other than put on a show ...

If anything I don't trust Andrew from melodocshit.... That's all I got to say about that...

TJMKID
02-17-2013, 06:00 PM

I think the biggest warning sign about this show is ZERO mention of it on the VH official site, Facebook, or Twitter --- and same goes with Dave's official sites.

You would think if the band already got their appearance fee from the promoter, they would be advertising the gig on their official sites to garner interest and help sell tickets, correct? They did that for the Soundwave Debacle.

My gut feeling is VH hasn't received a fucking dime from the Stone promoter yet --- and they're just letting all this publicity go unaswered in case the check arrives in the mail in the next few weeks.

If this Stone Festival implodes --- it's going to nail the coffin lid tight on any chance of VH touring in Australia while Ed and Dave are still alive --- BET ON IT.

:flame:

Poison99
02-17-2013, 06:22 PM
I think the biggest warning sign about this show is ZERO mention of it on the VH official site, Facebook, or Twitter --- and same goes with Dave's official sites.

You would think if the band already got their appearance fee from the promoter, they would be advertising the gig on their official sites to garner interest and help sell tickets, correct? They did that for the Soundwave Debacle.

My gut feeling is VH hasn't received a fucking dime from the Stone promoter yet --- and they're just letting all this publicity go unaswered in case the check arrives in the mail in the next few weeks.

If this Stone Festival implodes --- it's going to nail the coffin lid tight on any chance of VH touring in Australia while Ed and Dave are still alive --- BET ON IT.

:flame:

There is no mention of it on Billy Joel's site either. Richie Ramone has indicated he is coming via his Facebook page. Otherwise, it's just the promoter shilling it on Facebook and via their own website. I also read the terms and conditions of the ticket sale on the promoter's website, and it more or less excludes them from liability as far as any venue changes or lineup changes are concerned. I know that most fine print would read like that, but I'd be way more comfortable buying the tickets from Ticketmaster or Ticketek, because I know I'd get my money back if the promoter went bankrupt.

I wouldn't waste my time if it wasn't Van Halen. Basically, it's going to cost $867 for my girlfriend and I to go. An $867 roll of the dice before I pay a cent on flights or anything else.

Somebody tell me what to do.

TJMKID
02-17-2013, 06:50 PM
There is no mention of it on Billy Joel's site either. Richie Ramone has indicated he is coming via his Facebook page. Otherwise, it's just the promoter shilling it on Facebook and via their own website. I also read the terms and conditions of the ticket sale on the promoter's website, and it more or less excludes them from liability as far as any venue changes or lineup changes are concerned. I know that most fine print would read like that, but I'd be way more comfortable buying the tickets from Ticketmaster or Ticketek, because I know I'd get my money back if the promoter went bankrupt.

I wouldn't waste my time if it wasn't Van Halen. Basically, it's going to cost $867 for my girlfriend and I to go. An $867 roll of the dice before I pay a cent on flights or anything else.

The whole thing just smells fishier every fucking day .... save your $867 until Dave tweets a pic of him climbing aboard a plane to Sydney :sick0020:

At least in the U.S. --- VH has a proven track record of attendance figures they can reference before they put a tour together. They know how much they can expect to make in every U.S. and Canadian city and they demand the appropriate fees upfront and they get paid.

Given that VH hasn't toured Down Under in 15 years since Fairy Gary and never with Roth --- how can any promoter gauge his margins if one of the headlining acts drawing power is a big mystery? We gotta face the facts and realize that Roth-VH are not an international force like Madonna or U2 and there's no guarantee this festival will turn a profit at all.

All you have to do is look at the '83 US Festival --- Wozniak was sure it was going to turn a profit so he paid hefty appearance fees to big acts like VH and he ended up losing $15 million on the show. I sure as hell don't see any billionaire software tycoons financing the Stone Festival sham!

:puking-smiley:

sadaist
02-17-2013, 06:57 PM

The stadium is monstrous in size. It won't sell out fast. Wait a week & let some dust settle to see if it's real.

Poison99
02-17-2013, 06:59 PM
http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/1308225/stone-music-festival-responds-to-speculation/?cs=12

The broader group have been involved with a multitude of sports, music and entertainment transactions globally and this is one of the largest music events anyone has put together in Australia.

"Headline artists have been contracted and paid in full.

"All funding required for this event is committed and in the event disbursement account.

"It would be prudent for Mr. McManus to check his facts before making such erroneous and public statements."

That makes me relax a little bit. If the artists haven't been paid in full yet, it would be surprising to learn the promoter would tell such a blatant lie. Still, I have my doubts.

TJMKID
02-17-2013, 07:02 PM
http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/1308225/stone-music-festival-responds-to-speculation/?cs=12

That makes me relax a little bit. If the artists haven't been paid in full yet, it would be surprising to learn the promoter would tell such a blatant lie. Still, I have my doubts.

There could be fine print involved in these contracts --- ie, "Headline artists paid in full but fees shall be refunded to promoter in the event that X amt. of tickets havent been sold by Y date"

:boom:

rockhead
02-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Poison 99 and all OZ fans im personally fishy on this as well?.The band knows how good their fans are and how the fans have been waiting for years to see the roth lead lineup, why would they bother touring on a festival for?.They should have hauled all of their equipment and done arena shows in each capital city and should have done it by now.VH is an arena band not a festival band, hell they could bring steel panther for support if they really wanted to.

I dont know why VH feels that they have to do a festival as a reason to play shows, just do arena shows in each capital city and the bank balance will fill up itself!

Poison99
02-17-2013, 07:23 PM
The stadium is monstrous in size. It won't sell out fast. Wait a week & let some dust settle to see if it's real.

I would agree with that, but the platinum standing zone in front of the stage appears to be quite small. As I will possibly be working late and won't be able to get a flight until the morning of the festival, buying GA tickets could result in me being 70 yards from the stage. I figure if I'm going to travel 900km, I may as well pay the extra $110 for premium tickets.

VHscraps
02-17-2013, 07:26 PM
There could be fine print involved in these contracts --- ie, "Headline artists paid in full but fees shall be refunded to promoter in the event that X amt. of tickets havent been sold by Y date"

:boom:

... And if none of them are even mentioning it on their usual channels of communication with their fans ... who da fuck is gonna buy the tickets!! What, is it gonna be all those fans of that biker move, Stone, that the promoter seems to be trying to raise cash via these gigs to do a remake of ...

And, let's face it ... Richie Ramone, whilst an ex-Ramone, is not Tommy Ramone or Marky Ramone, the two other drummers who were part of the band during their golden era.

Glenn Hughes has tweeted "Looks like I'll be down in Australia with our band Kings of Chaos in April ..." - doesn't exactly sound like he's totally convinced of it, or that the deal has been signed etc.

TJMKID
02-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Poison 99 and all OZ fans im personally fishy on this as well?.The band knows how good their fans are and how the fans have been waiting for years to see the roth lead lineup, why would they bother touring on a festival for?.They should have hauled all of their equipment and done arena shows in each capital city and should have done it by now.VH is an arena band not a festival band, hell they could bring steel panther for support if they really wanted to.

I dont know why VH feels that they have to do a festival as a reason to play shows, just do arena shows in each capital city and the bank balance will fill up itself!

It just doesnt make any sense --- why is VH flying 8,000 miles to Australia to only play 1 fucking show? Why not tour the whole country and make some serious bank before heading to Japan?

Hey Oz, get ready for "Soundwave Fizzle Fest Part Deux" !!

:painkiller:

Poison99
02-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Van Halen have now added the tour poster to their official Facebook page. Hmmm.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Here is where KISS is playing in Australia....

Feb 28 – Perth, Australia
March 3 – Adelaide, Australia
March 5 – Melbourne, Australia
March 6 - Melbourne, Australia
March 9 – Sydney, Australia
March 10 – Sydney, Australia
March 12 – Brisbane, Australia
March 16 – Mackay, Australia

VAiN
02-17-2013, 07:39 PM
VH just confirmed it via Twitter...

Australia! twitter.com/VanHalen/statu…— Van Halen (@VanHalen) February 18, 2013

fraroc
02-17-2013, 07:42 PM

I've always fantasized about a possible Kiss/Van Halen world tour. But Chaim would never allow that to happen.

FORD
02-17-2013, 07:43 PM
And, let's face it ... Richie Ramone, whilst an ex-Ramone, is not Tommy Ramone or Marky Ramone, the two other drummers who were part of the band during their golden era.

Yeah, I thought it was odd that the article implied that Richie was "the" surviving Ramone, when he was essentially just a guy who filled in for a few years while Marky got his shit together. And "Too Tough to Die" was probably the only great album they made while Richie was in the band.

Poison99
02-17-2013, 07:44 PM

While they are touring with Motley Crue and Thin Lizzy, the venue they are playing in Melbourne has a capacity of about 55,000 (possibly reduced to 35,000ish with all the equipment) and they sold enough tickets to warrant a second show. I think my tickets to that show cost about $150 too. I have no idea why Van Halen wouldn't want to play an arena show like that themselves and at those prices - in terms of drawing power, I'd expect them to be equal to KISS (if not more popular because KISS have been out several times).

Then again, because VH have put the photo on their official page and I have less than 20 minutes to decide whether to get tickets, I'm leaning towards just saying screw it, I'll buy them and run the risk.

FORD
02-17-2013, 07:49 PM
I've always fantasized about a possible Kiss/Van Halen world tour. But Chaim would never allow that to happen.

He sure as Hell wouldn't ever allow KISS - even this half assed semi-tribute band version - to play a festival with Van Halen headlining. Probably would play the "I discovered those guys, so of course I want top billing, goddamn it" card.

And then, even if the gig ever did happen, he'd probably be backstage trying to get Eddie to join KISS again.

http://www.vandohalen.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Gene-Simmons-Eddie-Van-Halen-Van-do-Halen.jpg
"Look, nobody even has to know it's you. You can wear Ace's makeup, just like our current scab does"

VHscraps
02-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I thought it was odd that the article implied that Richie was "the" surviving Ramone, when he was essentially just a guy who filled in for a few years while Marky got his shit together. And "Too Tough to Die" was probably the only great album they made while Richie was in the band.

Yer, they gave him a lead vocal on that album.

I saw The Ramones just after Richie left in '87, at the Barrowland in Glasgow, Scotland. Not sure who the drummer was - it was being trailed at the time as Clem Burke of Blondie, but I think it was maybe Tommy Ramone who stepped back in for a while.

vandeleur
02-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Just read ed's tweet ...... Stranger and stranger .

Va Beach VH Fan
02-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Just read ed's tweet ...... Stranger and stranger .

I don't understand what's so creepy... The band has confirmed it, it's on....

Now if they were smart, they would have done this yesterday, when the news broke...

vandeleur
02-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Not creepy , a one off gig was just not what I thought the band would go with . Unless more oz gigs follow .
Hey ,I think it's ace news if it happens ,maybe I was putting 2 and 2 together and getting here we go again .

Poison99
02-17-2013, 08:56 PM
I couldn't bear the thought of missing this gig (even if it sounds kinda sketchy) so I just spent $880 on two platinum tickets. I'm officially broke. I'll be pissed if VH pull out of this date now - more so if they are replaced by someone else and I'm not entitled to a refund.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-17-2013, 09:32 PM
I couldn't bear the thought of missing this gig (even if it sounds kinda sketchy) so I just spent $880 on two platinum tickets. I'm officially broke. I'll be pissed if VH pull out of this date now - more so if they are replaced by someone else and I'm not entitled to a refund.

duuuuude, I feel your pain and anticipation/dread! keepin' everything crossed this shit goes down for you and all the other aussies

Nitro Express
02-17-2013, 09:46 PM
"That's not a microphone my pants I'm just happy to see you Australia! I'm amazed our drummer Alex Van Halen can keep up tonight. All last night a girl was screaming at Alex's hotel room door. Alex finally let her out."

Hardrock69
02-17-2013, 09:55 PM
... And if none of them are even mentioning it on their usual channels of communication with their fans ... who da fuck is gonna buy the tickets!!

Not just twitter.....Ed's Facebook account has sent out that poster advertising the show as well....

TJMKID
02-17-2013, 09:58 PM

You got big balls of brass, dude --- I could never lay down that kind of quid knowing what happened at Soundwave --- but it will all be worth it if VH does show up and rocks your asses off --- enjoy it because it's likely the only time Roth VH will ever be on Aussie soil !!!

:drum:

PETE'S BROTHER
02-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Not just twitter.....Ed's Facebook account has sent out that poster advertising the show as well....

kody's too :hee:

fraroc
02-17-2013, 10:10 PM
He sure as Hell wouldn't ever allow KISS - even this half assed semi-tribute band version - to play a festival with Van Halen headlining. Probably would play the "I discovered those guys, so of course I want top billing, goddamn it" card.

And then, even if the gig ever did happen, he'd probably be backstage trying to get Eddie to join KISS again.

http://www.vandohalen.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Gene-Simmons-Eddie-Van-Halen-Van-do-Halen.jpg
"Look, nobody even has to know it's you. You can wear Ace's makeup, just like our current scab does"

You know what is also weird, a kid who is a few years younger than me knows that! He's only 16 and knows EVERYthing about Kiss and VH. He also knows that Gene tried to recruit Eddie several times to replace both Ace Frehley and then VV.

ZahZoo
02-18-2013, 10:21 AM

They really don't have to ship that much equipment around... Al's drum kit is probably 2 flight case containers. Ed has 1 rack of amps/effects & 1 guitar case with 5-6 axes. Wolfgang about the same... 1 rack of amps/effects and another with basses.

All the stage prop amps & speakers can be sourced locally.

Oh and Dave will need a carry-on bag with a pair of shiny pants and a hat or two...

Zing!
02-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Lets hope the headset doesn't make the trip for a surprise reappearance down under...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-18-2013, 10:35 AM
They really don't have to ship that much equipment around... Al's drum kit is probably 2 flight case containers. Ed has 1 rack of amps/effects & 1 guitar case with 5-6 axes. Wolfgang about the same... 1 rack of amps/effects and another with basses.

Oh and Dave will need a carry-on bag with a pair of shiny pants and a hat or two...

Don't you forget the dance floor !!!!

;)

ZahZoo
02-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Don't you forget the dance floor !!!!

;)

Oh crap... that's right!! Ok add one more flight container for the dance floor and a few bags of confetti...

Fairwrning
02-18-2013, 12:03 PM
I feel better about this gig now..looks like it may happen..Ed wouldnt lie, would he???

I hope they are working on more of the ADKOT material..

jhale667
02-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Besides the aforementioned dance floor, pretty sure Ed's rig is a couple of racks at least, and the pedal board would have its own flight case, ditto for Wolf...plus you have to figure even the techs will have to have at least one... still quite a bit of stuff to haul even if they source the backline locally...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Besides the aforementioned dance floor, pretty sure Ed's rig is a couple of racks at least, and the pedal board would have its own flight case, ditto for Wolf...plus you have to figure even the techs will have to have at least one... still quite a bit of stuff to haul even if they source the backline locally...

This is just my knucklehead thinking, but I think a small portion of EVH's brain is still pissed off when their gear was lost/stolen in '79 going to Japan.....

I mean, even after 35 years, they really haven't gone overseas very much at all....

Zing!
02-18-2013, 12:32 PM
..Ed wouldnt lie, would he???..

Thanks for the laugh, dude. I needed that!

Heater
02-18-2013, 12:38 PM
If this show comes to fruition it's pretty much a given both I'll Wait and Jump(obviously) will be played. It might be cool to have Billy Joel come on and play live keyboards for them. Joe Perry came out and played a song with KISS when they co-headlined, Strutter, I think. That kind of thing usially goes over pretty well.

jhale667
02-18-2013, 12:40 PM
This is just my knucklehead thinking, but I think a small portion of EVH's brain is still pissed off when their gear was lost/stolen in '79 going to Japan.....

I mean, even after 35 years, they really haven't gone overseas very much at all....

Hmm... could be true, but it's way easier to track things electronically shipping-wise these days..

ZahZoo
02-18-2013, 01:23 PM

Ok looks like about 5 cases for Ed... little more than I could fit in my Chevy.

http://www.guitarworld.com/files/imagecache/gw_imagegallery_slide/gallery/EVH1df.jpg

Va Beach VH Fan
02-18-2013, 07:51 PM
I live with a Queensland Blue, need I say more ..? twitter.com/DavidLeeRoth/s…— David Lee Roth (@DavidLeeRoth) February 19, 2013

vandeleur
02-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Fucked if I know what the tweet means ... Thought it meant one of his dogs but when I google it it was a pumpkin ..... Unless am really pished :-)

Terry
02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
I'll tell ya that I hope Halen does more gigs abroad than just Down Under and Japan: some of the A#1 people on this site live outside the US, and it's high time they get a chance to see the band that doesn't involve flying through every single time zone to do it.

I take it for granted that I'll be able to see the band whenever they do tour, because they always tend to tour the US and nowhere else...so I hope you guys catching them outside the US on their upcoming jaunt have a great time and get to witness some killer shows!:bigwink:

Va Beach VH Fan
02-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Fucked if I know what the tweet means ... Thought it meant one of his dogs but when I google it it was a pumpkin ..... Unless am really pished :-)

Pretty sure it's referring to his dog....

The Australian Cattle Dog is also known as a Queensland Heeler, and can be blue in color....

Panamark
02-19-2013, 01:11 AM
Pretty sure it's referring to his dog....

The Australian Cattle Dog is also known as a Queensland Heeler, and can be blue in color....

Reckon he is referring to a Blue Heeler from Queensland :)

Cheers everyone !

Dan
02-19-2013, 02:05 AM
Stone The Crows,Hi Mark.:D

Dan
02-19-2013, 02:06 AM
They Should Get A Waka To NZ.:hitch:

sadaist
02-19-2013, 04:12 AM
You guys deserve this show. I really hope Daves voice is feeling better than a lot of nights last year. I want you guys to get 2007 Dave and 2012 Eddie. Just save your heavy Aussie drinking for after the show so you mooks remember the damn thing.

fryingdutchman
02-19-2013, 06:03 AM
I'm a little confused by this quote:

“The Van Halens are watching from afar and if anything are just becoming aware that maybe he’s onto something,” Lee Roth said.

In the Rolling Stone interview Dave mentioned he talks to Alex "every day." If that's true, how could the Van Halen's be referred to as "just becoming aware?"

Seshmeister
02-19-2013, 06:57 AM
If this is legit, that God damn Buck Cherry better start thanking their lucky stars. They put out a powerful first CD and have followed it with shit ever since. An now they have a new one out whereby all of the songs are based on the seven sins. There's a page torn right from the Spinal Tap play book for ya.

I saw them a couple of years ago live in a pretty small packed sweaty venue under a railway bridge and they were good although a bit of a one hit wonder and as you say that hit is getting old.

Video isn't mine and crap sound but it sets the scene.

I'm not sure if they will translate well to a big stadium in daylight, very few bands do.

I had to laugh at a comment I just saw on YouTube

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee43/Seshmeister/buck_zpsaf7809a7.jpg

Glitter Tot
02-19-2013, 07:32 AM
OK, here we go again. Fingers crossed.

One week before Black Sabbath too - kewel...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-19-2013, 08:28 AM

Cheers everyone !

Well look who the Australian cat dragged in....

How you been Marky....

Va Beach VH Fan
02-19-2013, 08:33 AM
I really hope Daves voice is feeling better than a lot of nights last year.

Unfortunately, I don't think it was a matter of the voice "not feeling better"....

I simply think that it's nature taking its toll on a 58 year-old man, especially considering that he/they refused to step down the songs.....

DLR Bridge
02-19-2013, 08:44 AM
I saw them a couple of years ago live in a pretty small packed sweaty venue under a railway bridge and they were good although a bit of a one hit wonder and as you say that hit is getting old.

They had mild success with "Crazy Bitch" 4 or 5 years ago, so they chased it with more filth on the next CD. "Too Drunk To Fuck" has got to be one of the worst songs ever written. They could've been like a slightly heavier version of the Black Crowes, instead they went the route of pure, ham-fisted sleaze & cheese.

Seshmeister
02-19-2013, 09:09 AM
The poor singer spent all his royalties on tattoos and now can't afford to eat... :)

DLR Bridge
02-19-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure if they will translate well to a big stadium in daylight, very few bands do.

A friend of mine saw them on a Crüe Fest tour a few years back. Said they played early in the day and there were lots of kids (were talking pre-teens here) who endured this guy screaming his banal minutia about the difficulties of being too inebriated to get it up. Awkward.

ZahZoo
02-19-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm a little confused by this quote:

In the Rolling Stone interview Dave mentioned he talks to Alex "every day." If that's true, how could the Van Halen's be referred to as "just becoming aware?"

You know the saying... sometimes you can't see the forest for all the trees... Welcome to Howdy Doody Mountain™!!

http://weirdandcoolstuff.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/sometimes-you-can-t-see-the-forest-for-the-trees.jpg

vandeleur
02-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Wolfie just bigged up the gig on twitter ... But am on my phone and way to pissed to post it :-)
Am sure somebody less alcohol intolerant will post it at some point.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-20-2013, 01:32 AM

Cheers everyone !

so good to "see" you

DLR Bridge
02-20-2013, 06:08 AM
Wolfie just bigged up the gig on twitter ... But am on my phone and way to pissed to post it :-)
Am sure somebody less alcohol intolerant will post it at some point.

Anyone able to post the "bigged up"? Curious what he's saying.

vandeleur
02-20-2013, 06:11 AM
Will post it later but it basically was the poster with him saying cant wait and lots of exclamation marks

ashstralia
02-20-2013, 06:17 AM
oi, van halen, book a show at the brisbane entertainment centre. then you'll get 15,000 peoples money.:)

mh5150
02-20-2013, 07:02 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/20/se4a7yja.jpg

Carmine
02-20-2013, 07:05 AM
This is all it is...from Wolf's facebook page:

: Can't wait!!!! RT @VanHalen: Australia! http://t.co/
W~

ashstralia
02-21-2013, 04:59 PM
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/van-halen-and-billy-joel-concert-promoter-jailed-for-drug-offences/story-e6frfn09-1226583006083

Zing!
02-21-2013, 05:00 PM
This is all it is...from Wolf's facebook page:

: Can't wait!!!! RT @VanHalen: Australia! http://t.co/
W~

Speaking of Wolf - he's going to be in Minneapolis Saturday night with Tremonti. Thinking about taking my ADKOT poster and seeing if I can get it signed.

Northern Girl
02-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Speaking of Wolf - he's going to be in Minneapolis Saturday might with Tremonti. Thinking about taking my ADKOT poster and seeing if I can get it signed.

You probably have a good chance since it's a smaller venue. :thumb:

I wish I lived closer.

VHscraps
02-23-2013, 09:10 PM
From an online Aussie music magazine, Tonedeaf (http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/features/columns/268219/stone-music-festival-sends-lawyers.htm), more on the developing Stone Festival story about promoters throwing accusations at each other:

'Stone Music Festival has only recently popped onto the radar of the music loving public, but in the six short days since the first acts on the lineup were announced it has already attracted its fair share of controversy.

Some have questioned the need for another festival given the current economic climate, others have been quick to point out that headliners Van Halen have a patchy history when it comes to actually turning up to the concerts they’ve been booked for.

But none was more vocal in his scepticism of the festival than well known Aussie promoter Andrew McManus. McManus was vocal in his opposition to the festival and even took the unusual step to publicly make statements on the Stone Music Festival’s Facebook page with a range of allegations against the festival urging punters to be careful. The move was made all the more unusual given the McManus himself has a less than spotless track record, but that’s a discussion for another day.

On February 18th, Tone Deaf reproduced Andrew McManus’s comments on the festival, as part of our ongoing coverage of the festival and the general live music community in Australia. Everyone is of course intrigued when a new player emerges in the fiercely competitive festival market, and given the popularity of those articles it seems our readers were also intrigued. The festival was quick to respond to McManus’ comments, alleging that his views were wrong in a press statement circulated to the media. “It would be prudent for Mr. McManus to check his facts before making such erroneous and public statements,” the statement read, adding that, ”no artists involved with the Stone Music Festival are involved with Mr. McManus.”

Since then, Stone Music Festival have added even more acts to their lineup, and lost another who said that the festival “just didn’t feel right”.

With the festival only two months away, the promoters must be busy trying to get everything in order so to pull off a successful launch, but the statements by McManus seem to have dwelled on their minds. We were a little surprised, and amused then, when this morning, Tone Deaf received a letter from lawyers representing Stone Music Festival and SEQ; the financier behind the festival. The letter outlined the statements that they believe are false and misleading, and have asked Tone Deaf to remove the comments by 5pm as they believe the statements have caused, and is continuing to cause, loss and damage to the business of their clients.

We can certainly agree that the comments made by McManus are less than glowing of the festival, but they are McManus’ comments. If you want to send the lawyers out, we’d direct you in his direction.

Of course, if you’ve already gone to the extraordinary step of sending legal letters out to music publications that have reported on his statements, you’ve probably already thought of that. But more than that, if you want to change the tone of the discussion surrounding your festival, all you have to do is reach out. We’d be more than happy to talk to the promoters behind Stone Music Festival, in fact we already sent an invitation to them a few days ago.

We never heard back, but the offer still stands.

We’ve sent a copy of the letter off to our lawyers to have a read, but we’ve already removed the statements from the website. However, we still believe we haven’t done anything wrong. We have removed the statements in good will, but we hope that the promoters behind Stone Music Festival will seek to engage the music media in the future, rather than sending legal letters around.

New players in an already tumultuous sector of the music industry are of course going to get tongues wagging, especially when they promise so much so quickly. If the promoters of Stone Music Festival want to play with the big players, they’ll need to learn to grow thicker skin. One thing Australian promoters are not afraid of is having a go at their competitors.

Today, more allegations about the personalities behind the festival and the associated film have surfaced, including by News Limited who assert there may be a criminal past. We’ll be holding back on that story until we hear back from the lawyers, but it does raise more questions than it answers. In the meantime, it’s only taken six days for these promoters to go from obscurity, to announcing a new festival, to sending out legal letters to the media. I sincerely hope they make better use of their next six.'

Nicholas Jones
Editor-In-Chief

ZahZoo
02-24-2013, 09:09 AM
How dare those Australian promoters have more drama than Van Halen, David Lee Roth and more to the point... The Roth Army!!!

How rude!!

damngoodtimes
02-27-2013, 11:44 AM
I really hope they don't fuck this up...

Zing!
02-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Who, the Australians?

Va Beach VH Fan
02-27-2013, 02:00 PM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/scars-and-stars/story-fn6ccwsa-1226583650251

Scars and stars
Kathy McCabe The Daily Telegraph February 23, 2013 12:00AM

Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth likes to talk. Kathy McCabe goes along for the wild ride.

KM: You are finally playing in Australia after coming close a couple of times in recent years.

DLR: You're going to have to ask the rhythm section about that one. Kathy, I myself am a traveller. And let me carry with that an explanation that all those who wander are not necessarily lost. I'm calling you from Tokyo, in fact.

KM: OK, getting back to the point, is the concert in Australia part of your quest to get Van Halen out of America and touring the world again?

DLR: Clearly. The Van Halens, I think, are just now starting to value that which once was, which was the capacity to experience other worlds, other communities, particularly when you are a stranger in a stranger land. I find that so refreshing. And you gotta be prepared to be a beginner, you gotta be prepared to not have your cheesburger and fries, you gotta be prepared for a lot.

In the days back when, we would come off the road after a full year out, I would walk straight though to the international terminal and head for an adventure. I have earned the stars and scars. Kathy, we were shooting some film the other day and I said to the make-up lady in Japanese: 'You see there are eight lines on my forehead? Each one is named after an ex-girlfriend'. And she points to the third and says and "Which one is this, Dave?" "That's Stacey from Dallas."

KM: Do you have any particularly good or bad memories of Australia?

DLR: My godfather was Roger Shipton and he was in government, he was in Melbourne. He was the one who taught me at an early age that when Americans say "Whenever you're in town come by and stay at my place," that Australians will. He and his family stayed at my house in Pasadena, I have a tomb with a view in California.

KM: Are you aware of the movie Stone that the festival you are playing in Sydney is based on?

DLR: I've read the work up on it; I've seen part of it through the YouTube etc. It has not reached the American shores through rock'n'roll; it reached the shores through cinephiles like Tarantino and Rodriguez and the post-baby boomers who have had the internet at their fingers.

I was not so lucky. I have one regret in showbiz - I didn't have the f ... kin' internet. I had to wait to get to New York to buy dance music, I had to wait to get to Texas to meet Stacey and buy country music. I had no idea what was going on in our backyard, until I was actually there. There's no bitterness about Van Halen's political ups and downs, there's no bitterness about "Gee, we could have made that record better". My bitterness is "Man, if I'd had that instrument to learn from, what we could have done?"

KM: Is there still that fire in the belly when you walk on stage?

DLR: That fire starts down around little Elvis long before it reaches the belly. Yeah, I named my dick. Actually I think it was Stacey who did. You think I'm kidding?

My fire starts long before we even start to rehearse let alone get to the stage. I collect music, like, by weight. There are still three Tower Record stores here, four floors of actual CDs, you can hold them in your hands like belt buckles. If I cup my hands I can pile CDs all the way up to my chin. I myself have four or five things I really love to listen to and I am able to investigate deeply into that here. I listen constantly and I sing and dance constantly. I chose this apartment because it has a cool wooden floor and with the right socks you can get a four-foot slide.

Stone Music Festival, ANZ Stadium; April 20 (Van Halen, Jimmy Barnes, Kings Of Chaos, The Living End and more) and April 21 (Billy Joel, Icehouse, Guy Sebastian, Lifehouse and more), ticketek.com.au, stonemusicfest.com

Zing!
02-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Goddamnit - still sliding around on wood floors!

Nitro Express
02-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Goddamnit - still sliding around on wood floors!

You would prefer reading he fucked five Japanese prostitutes at the same time and then shot some fireworks out the window after he was done.

Zing!
02-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Wouldn't you?

Nitro Express
02-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Wouldn't you?

Of course. Sounds like it was a party backstage with Dave according to Mr. Vai.

DLR Bridge
02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Can't wait for an interview from any member of the rhythm section.

Has the singer gone bat shit crazy? You bet!

I'd love to hear what they think of the Roth Show.

VHscraps
02-27-2013, 03:25 PM

KM: Do you have any particularly good or bad memories of Australia?

DLR: My godfather was Roger Shipton and he was in government, he was in Melbourne.

I didn't quite believe this until I googled Roger Shipton ...

Northern Girl
02-27-2013, 07:01 PM
I didn't quite believe this until I googled Roger Shipton ...

Skepticism seems to be your first reaction to everything.

You want to talk about it? :lala:

:bigwink:

DLR Bridge
02-27-2013, 07:20 PM

Perhaps it's cautious optimism. Something we all exhibit when ya think about it.

VHscraps
02-27-2013, 07:22 PM

Glass half-EMPTY kind of guy, perhaps ...

VHscraps
02-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Perhaps it's cautious optimism. Something we all exhibit when ya think about it.

Well, it's just that Dave throws things out there for you to chew on - 'it's the rhythm section's fault we haven't toured', etc. When he probably means something else - i.e., it is fucking Ed's fault, and as we all know, Ed ain't the rhythm section (although, in a way, he always was in classic VH ...)

Northern Girl
02-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Glass half-EMPTY kind of guy, perhaps ...

I was just kidding. Don't start therapy over it or anything. ;)

DLR Bridge
02-27-2013, 07:30 PM
I take the rhythm section remark to be the instrumentalists in this context. Them three twins.

DLR Bridge
02-27-2013, 07:46 PM
I just noticed Jimmy Barnes name on the bill. Wasn't his name thrown out there in '85 as a possible new front man for VH? Probably would have been a better choice then what they went with, but not near as good as what they should have stayed with.

VHscraps
02-27-2013, 08:01 PM
I was just kidding. Don't start therapy over it or anything. ;)

I know yer were. Guys like me don't do therapy, anyways - don't belive in it! We just let the gloom envelop us ... which, y'know, offers its own comforts.

Zing!
02-27-2013, 08:08 PM
I know yer were. Guys like me don't do therapy, anyways - don't belive in it! We just let the gloom envelop us ... which, y'know, offers its own comforts.

Scraps is starting to sound like a Scientologist.

Northern Girl
02-27-2013, 08:13 PM
He's never seen the sun!

big fatty
02-27-2013, 08:46 PM
You would prefer reading he fucked five Japanese prostitutes at the same time and then shot some fireworks out the window after he was done.

Anything goes down under. :high5:

Jérôme Frenchise
02-28-2013, 06:43 AM

KM: Is there still that fire in the belly when you walk on stage?

DLR: That fire starts down around little Elvis long before it reaches the belly. Yeah, I named my dick. Actually I think it was Stacey who did. You think I'm kidding?

My fire starts long before we even start to rehearse let alone get to the stage. I collect music, like, by weight. There are still three Tower Record stores here, four floors of actual CDs, you can hold them in your hands like belt buckles. If I cup my hands I can pile CDs all the way up to my chin. I myself have four or five things I really love to listen to and I am able to investigate deeply into that here. I listen constantly and I sing and dance constantly. I chose this apartment because it has a cool wooden floor and with the right socks you can get a four-foot slide.

Stone Music Festival, ANZ Stadium; April 20 (Van Halen, Jimmy Barnes, Kings Of Chaos, The Living End and more) and April 21 (Billy Joel, Icehouse, Guy Sebastian, Lifehouse and more), ticketek.com.au, stonemusicfest.com

This interview kicks ass, just like a DLR interview. Dave actually gives some matter away from himself.
There's spice about "the rhythm section", his urge to travel is aimed at "the Van Halens" (which seems to be aimed at stirring something up), he confesses some notalgia about some Texan ex-g/friend called Stacey...

And maybe that sock sliding on wooden floor shows that Dave didn't kill the child inside. Of course he's a full grown-up and he's talking about a convenient floor for dance practice, but I feel - and it's most positive to me - that the recipe of his everlasting drive - and curiosity - could lie in the fact who he was as a kid might still be moving around inside him.

People say, once they've grown up, and so do I, "If only I had known back then what I know now", and it's like Dave acts on the contrary, taking advantage of all he knows with the part of childhood power he has been keeping inside him. :)

ELVIS
02-28-2013, 08:53 AM
And maybe that sock sliding on wooden floor shows that Dave didn't kill the child inside.

I think it shows he still thinks flamboyant gay dancing is somehow cool...

Of course he's a full grown-up and he's talking about a convenient floor for dance practice, but I feel - and it's most positive to me - that the recipe of his everlasting drive - and curiosity - could lie in the fact who he was as a kid might still be moving around inside him.

Maybe you should get on the dancefloor and strut your stuff...

:)

:biggrin:

DLR Bridge
02-28-2013, 09:05 AM
"I have one regret in showbiz - I didn't have the f ... kin' internet. I had to wait to get to New York to buy dance music, I had to wait to get to Texas to meet Stacey and buy country music. I had no idea what was going on in our backyard, until I was actually there. There's no bitterness about Van Halen's political ups and downs, there's no bitterness about "Gee, we could have made that record better". My bitterness is "Man, if I'd had that instrument to learn from, what we could have done?"

So why, when all the music world was blowing up and changing in the mid-nineties due to this wonderous thing called the Internet, did Dave not dive into it with the same attack as he did with the birth of MTV?

As cool as the Roth Show is now, it's really something I'm surprised he didnt do 15, 20 years ago.

ELVIS
02-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Dave admitted to not being internet savy on his three month radio show...

I doubt Dave knew how to turn a computer on 15 years ago...

DLR Bridge
02-28-2013, 09:30 AM
True, but he's got that pioneer ethic, like how he knew how to pounce on the media tool known as MTV and make it work for them rather than the other way around. He implies there was no www during the VH days and that's true, but it wasn't born yesterday, either. Dave's a renaissance man. I find it hard to believe he lacks savvy in anything.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-28-2013, 09:44 AM

:biggrin: You damn mocker! :biggrin:

PETE'S BROTHER
02-28-2013, 09:45 AM
:biggrin: You damn mocker! :biggrin:

mock, mock, mockin' on heaven's door

ZahZoo
02-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Dave admitted to not being internet savy on his three month radio show...

I doubt Dave knew how to turn a computer on 15 years ago...

Being internet "savvy" as one's ability to use it is one thing... Being internet aware is completely another. Dave had people around him that were internet savvy going back to 1998 or 99. That was a long time ago. Sales of music, tickets, merchandise, etc has been around at least a good decade plus.

I have a hard time buying into internet naivety of someone like Dave in the entertainment industry on several levels... when my 90 year old retired, truck driver father appears to knows more about the net than some global rock star 30+ years younger...

Nickdfresh
02-28-2013, 10:57 AM
I think it shows he still thinks flamboyant gay dancing is somehow cool...

Maybe you should get on the dancefloor and strut your stuff...

If you actually saw him in concert, you bayou-dwelling cunt, you'd have seen his dancing was anything but "flamboyant". It's more like goofball minstrel or comic Vaudeville dancing form the 20's, and he doesn't take it very seriously...

Jérôme Frenchise
02-28-2013, 11:35 AM
mock, mock, mockin' on heaven's door

Maybe it's just me seeing something of the child he used to be, still on in DLR.
I see it as something great to still have inside, anyway. The kid's drive.

As for the Internet, it's hard not to agree with Zah. :)

ELVIS
02-28-2013, 11:49 AM
If you actually saw him in concert, you bayou-dwelling cunt, you'd have seen his dancing was anything but "flamboyant". It's more like goofball minstrel or comic Vaudeville dancing form the 20's, and he doesn't take it very seriously...

Shut up Dickdemod...

You're probably a dancing ferry yourself...

ELVIS
02-28-2013, 11:54 AM
I have a hard time buying into internet naivety of someone like Dave in the entertainment industry on several levels...

I don't...

Dave didn't seem too interested in the internet for years and he expressed as much on his radio show...

When he finally did get a photo and art page up, it went unchanged and unmaintained for years...

Nickdfresh
02-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Shut up Dickdemod...

You're probably a dancing ferry yourself...

Don't be "rediculous" El-dickhole. I don't really dance, but I've met guys that get more pussy by dancing than you've ever gotten...

You don't get down to some cajun creole Zydeco you silly little Swamp person you?

ELVIS
02-28-2013, 12:01 PM
I've met guys that get more pussy by dancing than you've ever gotten...

And I'm supposed to be impressed by that, you flaming ferry ??

What a Dickforbrains...:biggrin:

ELVIS
02-28-2013, 12:02 PM
You don't get down to some cajun creole Zydeco you silly little Swamp person you?

No, I watch other people...

DLR Bridge
02-28-2013, 12:04 PM
I don't...

Dave didn't seem too interested in the internet for years and he expressed as much on his radio show...

When he finally did get a photo and art page up, it went unchanged and unmaintained for years...

Not to beat a dead horse but, that's where, "Man, if I'd had that instrument to learn from, what we could have done?" seems odd. I believe he said what he said on the radio show. It just doesn't jive with his present standpoint. No big D. It's not like the guy fell asleep behind the wheel for any other opportunities.

Nickdfresh
02-28-2013, 12:09 PM
And I'm supposed to be impressed by that, you flaming ferry ??

What a Dickforbrains...:biggrin:

No. Just saying that you're a super homophobic, ex-nurse substance abuser who seems fixated on all things "ferry."

We can't all be "real me" like you, with church-sanctioned arranged marriages to sheltered virgins...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
I have to agree with E to some extent though....

There were some times when his mannerisms on that damn dance floor looked eerily like Judy Garland...

And then again there were plenty of times where he wasn't.....

Muchos En Fuego
02-28-2013, 01:43 PM
ex-nurse substance abuser

I find it hypocritical the same people who are calling for bannings for giving out personal info.... are the same people giving out the most personal info.

Here's a band-aid nickdmod....

To cover up all your melodramatic bullshit....

LoungeMachine
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
I find it hypocritical the same people who are calling for bannings for giving out personal info.... are the same people giving out the most personal info.

This from an ALIAS who gets drunk and cried all night about his "reputation" here.

STFU and leave this shit out of Main "warf", you fucking child.

Your extortion attempts won't work either.

LoungeMachine
02-28-2013, 01:51 PM

:lmao:

Oh, the irony.

Muchos En Fuego
02-28-2013, 02:06 PM
This from an ALIAS who gets drunk and cried all night about his "reputation" here.

STFU and leave this shit out of Main "warf", you fucking child.

Your extortion attempts won't work either.

If I’ve offended you, please accept my apology. Then punch yourself in the face for getting offended by stuff posted on the internet.

PETE'S BROTHER
02-28-2013, 02:30 PM
If I’ve offended you, please accept my apology. Then punch yourself in the face for getting offended by stuff posted on the internet.

:baaa:

jhale667
02-28-2013, 02:33 PM
If I’ve offended you, please accept my apology. I'm drunken racist coward.

Fixed. Now GTFO of main, loser!

Zing!
02-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Oh, the irony.

I used to have a low irony count and had to take a supplement until I started coming here.

private parts
02-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Don't be "rediculous" El-dickhole. I don't really dance, but I've met guys that get more pussy by dancing than you've ever gotten...

Easy bro...have some respect for ELVIS. After all, Dave named his little "Longfellow" after him!

ELVIS
02-28-2013, 04:44 PM
As well as being on Dave's elbow...:biggrin:

Nickdfresh
02-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Fucking troll says what?

Hey Muchos Dickhead: He gave out that info out along time ago and has bragged about it on being an authority on health care and drugs. Would it be "personal info" if I mentioned that Elvira has stated he's such a bad ass guitarist in the past? Can you identify Elvis now? Do you know his name? I actually know his first name and there was a time when certain mods and posters called each other by their first names around here - before the Gunt Wars.

Secondly, when have I ever CALLED for a ban? Doucho En Fago, why don't you post with your original username?

Nickdfresh
02-28-2013, 05:02 PM

Right after you apologize for turning into a giant fucking faggit after being dumped on the internet by a girl you never met. Here's some alcohol for your internet drama....

PETE'S BROTHER
02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
before the Gunt Wars.

when were those? or are they continuing?

PETE'S BROTHER
02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Right after you apologize for turning into a giant fucking faggit after being dumped on the internet by a girl you never met. Here's some alcohol for your internet drama....

bot...

Nickdfresh
02-28-2013, 05:04 PM

Don't worry your pretty little head about it, pete. The adults are talking...

LOL

Okay, that's really not true! ;)

And yes, they are continuing, because mental-DWARF keeps cuntinuing. And oh yeah, dolts like you are always in tow throwing out little editorial quips...

PETE'S BROTHER
02-28-2013, 05:06 PM

LOL

about what? ;)

ELVIS
02-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Hey Dickforbrains, do ferries wear boots ??

PETE'S BROTHER
02-28-2013, 05:15 PM

LOL

And yes, they are continuing, because mental-DWARF keeps cuntinuing. And oh yeah, dolts like you are always in tow throwing out little editorial quips...

p.s. very little "adult" talk on this board for months

Nickdfresh
02-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Hey Dickforbrains, do ferries wear boots ??

I dunno. Do you?

ZahZoo
02-28-2013, 05:20 PM

A long time ago... In a galaxy far far away.

It was the dark times... 2004... Spammy back in VH. This drove the Gunt wars...

I couldn't find many threads but this one... it was far more than Angel -vs- Fab... involved Max, pRikk, Seenbad, etc...

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?9312-Fab-Shadow

ELVIS
02-28-2013, 05:22 PM
I dunno. Do you?

I wear boots 24/7 but I'm not a ferry nor a fairy...:biggrin:

Nickdfresh
02-28-2013, 05:27 PM
A long time ago... In a galaxy far far away.

It was the dark times... 2004... Spammy back in VH. This drove the Gunt wars...

I couldn't find many threads but this one... it was far more than Angel -vs- Fab... involved Max, pRikk, Seenbad, etc...

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?9312-Fab-Shadow

It involved a lot more than them. Of course, I'll admit full involvement. There were mods and webbies up to their asses on both sides of that clusterfuck. And really? pRIKK? RIKK's a good man, geezer...he has bad ass biker brothers you know!

Nickdfresh
02-28-2013, 05:29 PM

Oh, you're so butch! ;)

Redwings at least?

cadaverdog
02-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Glory days, in the wink of a young girls eye. Glory days have passed you by. Deal with it.

Matt White
02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
THE GUNT WARS

jhale667
02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Glory days, in the wink of a young girls eye. Glory days have passed you by. Deal with it.

THIS is classic what with YOU guys being the ones going on about how cool you USED to be... :biggrin:

cadaverdog
02-28-2013, 05:40 PM
THIS is classic what with YOU guys being the ones going on about how cool you USED to be..
You guys? There's nobody else here.

ThrillsNSpills
02-28-2013, 05:42 PM

Congrats on the operation Cowgirl. :)

PETE'S BROTHER
02-28-2013, 05:44 PM

you must have stinky feet...

jhale667
02-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Congrats on the operation Cowgirl. :)

:lol:

ZahZoo
02-28-2013, 05:51 PM
It involved a lot more than them. Of course, I'll admit full involvement. There were mods and webbies up to their asses on both sides of that clusterfuck. And really? pRIKK? RIKK's a good man, geezer...he has bad ass biker brothers you know!

Hell I'd be typing for half a day if I had to name everyone that got sucked into that cluster fuck...

I know Rikk's a good man... I've been calling him pRIKK for over a decade and he hasn't cuntplained.

Turn the sensitivity levels back to normal nick... not everyone is in high swing menstrual cycles today!!

ThrillsNSpills
02-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Some of the photoshops in the gunt wars were brilliant.
I remember there was a zillion page thread in Fan Intro where she had like 12 aliases because someone was powerbanning each one.

78/84 guy
02-28-2013, 06:19 PM
p.s. very little "adult" talk on this board for months

No shit. I thought Kristy was back. HI KRISTY ! She must hate not being able to log in to derail this thread more.

Nickdfresh
02-28-2013, 06:30 PM

Turn the sensitivity levels back to normal nick... not everyone is in high swing menstrual cycles today!!

Well, certainly not you. You're in menopause!

Nickdfresh
02-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Some of the photoshops in the gunt wars were brilliant.

Guilty!

ThrillsNSpills
02-28-2013, 07:23 PM

Scars and stars
Kathy McCabe The Daily Telegraph February 23, 2013 12:00AM

KM: OK, getting back to the point, is the concert in Australia part of your quest to get Van Halen out of America and touring the world again?

DLR: Clearly. The Van Halens, I think, are just now starting to value that which once was, which was the capacity to experience other worlds, other communities, particularly when you are a stranger in a stranger land. I find that so refreshing. And you gotta be prepared to be a beginner, you gotta be prepared to not have your cheesburger and fries, you gotta be prepared for a lot.

When Dave's getting interviewed he's just verbally riffing to be entertaining.
When Ed and son got interviewed Ed clearly gave the impression that he hangs at home and waits for the manager to call him and tell him where they're going.
I don't get the impression he woke up one day and said Let's go to Australia.
Weren't they making good on a prior commitment that didn't materialize?

ELVIS
02-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Ummm...

Yes...

Northern Girl
02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
I have to agree with E to some extent though....

There were some times when his mannerisms on that damn dance floor looked eerily like Judy Garland...

What are you talking about? Judy really wasn't known for dancing.

VHscraps
02-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Liza Minnelli ...?

Northern Girl
02-28-2013, 07:58 PM
I've met guys that get more pussy by dancing than you've ever gotten...

Girls love guys who can dance. Nothing worse than having some wussy guy sitting by the wayside while everyone else is having a blast because he's afraid of how he might look! Looks much worse looking like a bore!

Yes, wayside! 'Cos I'll kick you to the curb! :biggrin:

VHscraps
02-28-2013, 08:05 PM
I remember a 1981 TV interview with Dave, filmed in his basement. I think it was the one where they cut his comments about what rock'n'roll was about ('it's a bit like hosting a TV game show' he said) against Pat Benatar's ('it's about things that are wrong about the world' she said). He was surrounded by memoribilia, banners that fans had made, etc., and also - the voice-over pointed out - a rather odd item for a long-haired rocker - a framed pic of Fred Astaire ... dancing. 'Why? Because Dave thinks he is cool'.

Coyote
02-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Girls love guys who can dance. Nothing worse than having some wussy guy sitting by the wayside while everyone else is having a blast because he's afraid of how he might look! Looks much worse looking like a bore!

In other words: groove some to get some...

Coyote
02-28-2013, 08:16 PM
I remember a 1981 TV interview with Dave, filmed in his basement. I think it was the one where they cut his comments about what rock'n'roll was about ('it's a bit like hosting a TV game show' he said) against Pat Benatar's ('it's about things that are wrong about the world' she said). He was surrounded by memoribilia, banners that fans had made, etc., and also - the voice-over pointed out - a rather odd item for a long-haired rocker - a framed pic of Fred Astaire ... dancing. 'Why? Because Dave thinks he is cool'.

One of the earlier Roth Show episodes had a quote along the lines of "there's no Van Halen without the MGM musicals"...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-28-2013, 08:54 PM
What are you talking about? Judy really wasn't known for dancing.

Not to beat on Dave too much, but think about Dave on that dance floor, then watch this...

Are you really telling me that Dave didn't do that EXACT move about 1:15 ??

By the way, LOVE her voice, right up there with Streisand's....

Coyote
02-28-2013, 09:01 PM
By the way, LOVE her voice, right up there with Streisand's....

Except it's far more easier on the ears than Streisands vocals... Just sayin'...

clarathecarrot
02-28-2013, 09:17 PM
I think, -they, the them- are developing a new first person shooter game named ,GuntWars.

Ok, I got my little shit boxing TKO in the mix..THIS IS MAIN HOMOS!!!

Take this bullshit out of MAIN ,,,,.MODS GUILTY EVERYONE FUCKING UP MAIN!!!! DAMMIT !!!

any other forum any other subject ..not in main.

Here is how it works..... no piling on, that way the arguments will wash away....This is MAIN!!!

Now C-Dog has brought his one line attacks against Nick..Not in Main folks a little drifting is fine but the piling on of bad blood from other pages ..

.........IS BULLSHIT!!!!!

Northern Girl
02-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Are you really telling me that Dave didn't do that EXACT move about 1:15 ??

What I'm telling you is I don't analyze Dave's dance moves enough to pick them out of a 70-year old movie. But no, nothing really stands out there. Dave is moving so fast, nothing really sticks out except the sliding.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything Judy was in other than the Wizard of Oz. And that was barely dancing she was doing. Back in the day they forced actresses like her and Marilyn to dance a little while singing to titillate the men. Singing was her thing! She has great gams though!

Va Beach VH Fan
02-28-2013, 09:42 PM
What I'm telling you is I don't analyze Dave's dance moves enough to pick them out of a 70-year old movie. But no, nothing really stands out there. Dave is moving so fast, nothing really sticks out except the sliding.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything Judy was in other than the Wizard of Oz. And that was barely dancing she was doing. Back in the day they forced actresses like her and Marilyn to dance a little while singing to titillate the men. Singing was her thing! She has great gams though!

Well, I don't either really, but an awful lot of them are cabaret'ish....

Just sayin'....

Matt White
02-28-2013, 09:45 PM
DAVE's dancing reminds me more of this guy.............

Northern Girl
02-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Well, I don't either really, but an awful lot of them are cabaret'ish....

Just sayin'....

It's cute and a little disturbing that you would know that...

Just sayin'....

Northern Girl
02-28-2013, 09:48 PM
DAVE's dancing reminds me more of this guy.............

Good Lord! Here's another one...:biggrin:

Matt White
02-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Good Lord! Here's another one...:biggrin:

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing"

;)

Seshmeister
02-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Slightly more disturbing is I remember a few years back being dragged along to a kids dance class annual review show and suddenly realizing that the all the moves that that 11 year old girls were doing was Dave at his peak.

Twirling batons, high jumps, kicks, and doing the splits it was all there.

So back in the day you have this long blond haired guy worshiped on stage by tens of thousands of guys wanting to be him and just as many girls wanting to fuck him, who is basically doing a pretty good prepubescent teenage girl dance review combined with big guitars and drugs and rock n' roll.

There must be a psychology paper in that... :)

Nitro Express
03-01-2013, 01:53 AM

Good to know Napoleon could get ladies with his fancy dancing.

atomicpnk47
03-01-2013, 06:24 AM
C'mon Daves a song and dance man now....:biggrin:

ELVIS
03-01-2013, 07:54 AM
So he says...

His "dancing" is atrocious...

ELVIS
03-01-2013, 07:56 AM
Slightly more disturbing is I remember a few years back being dragged along to a kids dance class annual review show and suddenly realizing that the all the moves that that 11 year old girls were doing was Dave at his peak.

So back in the day you have this long blond haired guy worshiped on stage by tens of thousands of guys wanting to be him and just as many girls wanting to fuck him, who is basically doing a pretty good prepubescent teenage girl dance review combined with big guitars and drugs and rock n' roll.

Maybe a government funded one...

But some of us realized everything you just said back in the early 80's...:biggrin:

ZahZoo
03-01-2013, 09:04 AM

It runs even deeper... my daughter who's in competitive cheer commented that Dave has really good "facials"... which is the modern term for projecting smiles and various stuff on one's face while dancing, prancing, jumping and flailing around...

For years everyone imagined or assumed Dave was doing the cheerleaders... but based on his routine a more accurate term was he was doing the cheers.

The High kick...

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_images_n300/0018-0406-1320-1240_cheerleader_high_kicking_photo_photos.jpg

The drum riser Jump...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9djck3KJd1qcdwbpo1_500.jpg

The flying kick jump...

http://cheerleading.about.com/library/graphics/jumps/antoinette_fronthurdler_m.jpg

The Roth Routine:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/109622/David+Lee+Roth.jpg
http://reneeashleybaker.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/david-lee-roth-jumping.jpg?w=450
http://images.concert-pictures.com/david-lee-roth/david-lee-roth-picture-12-600px.jpg

No... one doesn't have to travel halfway around the world to Japan to learn this art... Just drive a couple blocks across Pasadena to any local Cheer and Tumbling gym...

DLR Bridge
03-01-2013, 09:24 AM
I have to show my 9 year old girl, also into competitive cheer, that post. She'll get a kick out of it. Yeah, bad pun, I know. She's also addicted to blasting Tattoo these days. I'm subtely breaking her out of the Beiber phase.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Wonder where is that last pic from ??

When did VH do an outdoor gig the last two tours ??

ZahZoo
03-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Wonder where is that last pic from ??

When did VH do an outdoor gig the last two tours ??

I don't know... Got the pic from a google search... it's posted on Lisa Roth's Lullabye records site... Can't get to the concert-pictures.com site. But the hairstyle would indicate 2007 thru present... and the background definitely looks outdoors.

Zing!
03-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Wasn't that from one of DLR's last solo shows in 06?

Coyote
03-01-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't know... Got the pic from a google search... it's posted on Lisa Roth's Lullabye records site... Can't get to the concert-pictures.com site. But the hairstyle would indicate 2007 thru present... and the background definitely looks outdoors.

Didn't they do a private (company?) gig at some point in '07-'08?

ZahZoo
03-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Here's another...

http://www.networlddirectory.com/images/blogs/8-2007/david-lee-roth-is-back-with-van-halen.jpg

PETE'S BROTHER
03-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Didn't they do a private (company?) gig at some point in '07-'08?

in florida, i think

ZahZoo
03-01-2013, 10:25 AM
The Florida private show was indoors at the Orange County convention center.

Angel
03-01-2013, 10:50 AM
in florida, i think

Nope. 07 was in Toronto....last year on May 15 they were in Florida....had they not had that gig, I would have been seeing them here in Regina...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-01-2013, 10:51 AM
in florida, i think

And in Toronto for RIM at the ACC....

DlocRoth
03-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Here's another...

http://www.networlddirectory.com/images/blogs/8-2007/david-lee-roth-is-back-with-van-halen.jpg

Looks like its in the Rolling Stone pics time before the 07 tour.

That t shirt looks like the one from the HOB show.......

Poison
03-03-2013, 04:12 PM
EDIT: logged into an account I didn't know I had

Poison99
03-03-2013, 04:14 PM
I just noticed Jimmy Barnes name on the bill. Wasn't his name thrown out there in '85 as a possible new front man for VH? Probably would have been a better choice then what they went with, but not near as good as what they should have stayed with.

I read that EVH brought it up in a drunk conversation with Jimmy Barnes in '86 or '87, despite the fact that Hagar was in the band at the time, so I'm not sure that it was ever a real possibility - it would have been awesome though. Eddie should've called him instead of Gary Cherone a decade later, that's for sure.

As an aside, I am a huge Jimmy Barnes/Cold Chisel fan, so naturally, I'm very happy that he was announced to be part of this festival as well. It sucks that Barnes and Cold Chisel never 'made it' outside of Australia and New Zealand - though it probably makes sense, because their music is very Australian-centric pub rock. Nobody could have replaced Dave, but I think Barnsey and Eddie could've made a solid album or too. He can wail, that's for sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erSJGrpfnOI

FORD
03-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Jimmy Barnes one and only claim to fame in the US was his collaboration with INXS. And if I remember correctly, nobody here had any idea who he was, and half of us thought it was Brian Johnson of Ac/Dc singing on the damn thing. (Their voices are kinda similar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TimxLOW922o