PDA

View Full Version : WVH Interview with Noisecreep

Va Beach VH Fan
02-21-2013, 06:50 PM
http://www.noisecreep.com/2013/02/20/wolfgang-van-halen-tremonti-interview/

Wolfgang Van Halen on Joining Tremonti, His Bass Influences + Why He Got Kicked Out of 5th Grade Choir
Posted on Feb 20th 2013 1:25PM by Carlos Ramirez

"I've always been a huge Alter Bridge fan and on the 2007 Van Halen tour we happened to be in the same city, so I went to go see them play and we met for the first time. We got along really well and kept in touch after that. I'm honored to be in his band now. Mark [Tremonti] is still one of my guitar idols," Wolfgang Van Halen tells Noisecreep.

The Van Halen bassist is on the horn discussing his role in the group Tremonti. The band just wrapped up a run of European tour dates, and is currently heading to the U.S. to finish the trek in support of All I Was, their 2012 debut album. Van Halen joined the group's ranks in late 2012.

"I was flattered that Mark thought of me for the gig, but he asked me out of nowhere after Brian [Marshall, original bassist] said he couldn't tour. So I called my dad [Eddie Van Halen for the uninitiated] and asked him what he thought. He said, 'Fuck yeah! It would be awesome.' That's all I needed to hear. So I called Mark back and told him I was in. My first show as a member of Tremonti was in New Jersey the day after I joined," laughs the bassist.

Noisecreep can attest that Tremonti and his band boast a fervent social media following. So we ask Van Halen what kind of reaction his entry to the group's lineup has been so far. "At first they were all surprised, but they've been so nice to me on Twitter and Facebook. There are always the haters, but that's the way the Internet is anyway. I'm sure people will complain about our interview here. What can you do?"

Growing up in a house with a certified guitar hero, Van Halen was obviously exposed to music at a really young age. But his early influences might surprise some of you. "My dad introduced me to AC/DC before I could even talk, but the band that I found on my own that I truly fell in love with was Blink-182.

"I loved the idea that they had two lead singers, and the vocal harmonies they use. I also started playing drums first, and Travis Barker is amazing. I would play along to all of the Blink-182 records. The other thing I loved about the band was that it was a trio like Muse or The Police. Three people getting it done. I love it."

Van Halen tells us he switched to guitar after the drums, and eventually bass. "I switched to bass because it was the only position open in Van Halen [laughs]. I didn't really get into the bass until we started messing around in the studio for about a year before the 2007 Van Halen tour. We rehearsed for a long time and at first it was just fun, and then when we got Dave [Lee Roth] involved, it got really serious."

Noisecreep asks the 21-year-old who some of his favorite bassists are. "Les Claypool of Primus is huge for me. He keeps pushing the boundaries of what can be done on the instrument. Justin Chancellor of Tool is another personal favorite. Colin Edwin of Porcupine Tree is great. I also love all of the classic guys like Jack Bruce of Cream, John Entwistle of The Who and Jaco Pastorius."

Besides rocking the bass, Van Halen is also a gifted singer, providing background vocal help in both Van Halen and Tremonti. "I actually got kicked out of choir in 5th grade. I think I learned more about singing from listening and picking apart harmonies on records I listened to like Blink-182."

Kicked out of choir? Noisecreep needs to know. "I couldn't focus on the classes, and I never paid attention. I was always just a troublemaker."

Don't worry Wolfgang, you're doing just fine.

DLR Bridge
02-21-2013, 07:06 PM
"...and then when we got Dave involved, it got really serious."

Serious as a train wreck. -DLR

hambon4lif
02-21-2013, 10:42 PM
This interview goes a long way in explaining Dave's call to re-instate Michael Anthony.
Personally, I've grown to dig Wolfie. However, if he's all too ready to be a member of Alter Bridge, you have to question how strong his allegiance really is to Van Halen.

"It was the only position open"?

Mikey would've kicked Sam like a fucking field goal with one phone call.

Dave wants THEE BAND back together, and so do I.

I thank Wolf, and I sincerely wish nothing but the absolute best for him, Tremonti, and the rest of the Alter Bridge gang, but as a Van Halen purist....I think I really want my all-time favorite band back together too.

BumBahDeeDah
02-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Can't take anything in anybody's interviews too seriously......loves the idea of three-piece bands, but is in VH, but loves AC/DC. I still thinks he's more important to VH NOW and personally, the nostalgia factor of MA just ain't enough for me.

I am sort of surprised at what WVH likes musically, though.

ThrillsNSpills
02-22-2013, 02:08 PM
This shoots a hole in the You Can't be in 2 bands idea.

ZahZoo
02-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Not really... he called Pops first and got orders from headquarters...

I think that's where Mikey messed up.

DLR Bridge
02-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Not really... he called Pops first and got orders from headquarters...

I think that's where Mikey messed up.

Kind of like a wife asking a husband for a divorce because he forgot to switch the wash over to the dryer once. Ed was looking for any reason and that one fell on his lap. Had Mike never paired up with Spam, Ed woulda shit canned him on the grounds that his MA hot sauce logo is a bite off of the VH rings logo.

Zing!
02-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Well, I would have been happy to conduct a Roth Army exclusive interview with Wolfie tomorrow night in Minneapolis and get the scoop on where his priorities are as far as bands are concerned - but seeing as we've got a foot of snow in less than 12 hours and it's still fucking snowing I guess that plan is going up in smoke (if you can dig it).

Northern Girl
02-22-2013, 06:43 PM
we've got a foot of snow in less than 12 hours and it's still fucking snowing I guess that plan is going up in smoke (if you can dig it).

What kind of a pussy Minnesotan are you? :flame:

ThatArtGuy
02-22-2013, 07:41 PM

From out of state.

Diamondjimi
02-22-2013, 08:16 PM
I hope Wolf can bring the old man to mend fences with Mike. I think, in th e big picture, only the original 4 will give the band any true longevity in the public mind...
Fuck, put him on a nice salary, he'll take it. Guaranteed!

Zing!
02-22-2013, 08:27 PM

The biggest kind. I hate snow. Anything below freezing is for sucks.

Terry
02-23-2013, 04:56 PM
In a broader context, Wolfgang probably helped give Ed the incentive to clean up his act and tour again...and I suspect it was Wolfgang's influence that nudged Ed to extending an invitation to Roth in 2006. Wolfgang obviously isn't afraid of social media, and it doesn't take more than a cursory glance at various fan sites to come to the deduction that fans wanted to see Ed and Roth onstage together again. I mean, based on what Ed did in 2004 and 2005, it wasn't readily apparent that asking Dave to rejoin was part of his master plan (inasmuch as Ed actually HAS a master plan, which isn't something I'm altogether convinced of). Shortly after reports that Anthony was out and Wolfgang was in surfaced, Dave came back into the fold. I doubt that was a coincidence.
All that being said, that CVH reunion is the one bit of unfinished business left. If it remains forever unfinished, so be it, but THAT would bring it all full-circle, then top it off with that fantasy CVH audio/video box set full of live concerts, demos, rarities, etc. This would be a way to end it all on a high, positive note. Even if none of that comes to pass, Wolfgang's inclusion did serve as a means to get the band back to a state where they can be proud of what they're doing, certainly in comparison to where the band was from 1997 to 2005. I mean, to see where things were in those years and the sorry state of disarray various members found themselves in (hey, I dig Roth, but that co-headlining tour with Hagar and the Diamond Dave cd?) was unacceptable to me in that I couldn't accept that this once-stellar band had let things slip away for no greater reason than a sense of egotism and wounded pride.

So this is love
02-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Well, I would have been happy to conduct a Roth Army exclusive interview with Wolfie tomorrow night in Minneapolis and get the scoop on where his priorities are as far as bands are concerned - but seeing as we've got a foot of snow in less than 12 hours and it's still fucking snowing I guess that plan is going up in smoke (if you can dig it).

You Sir better move your ass and give us a raving review of the show.......snow isn't an plausible excuse :rockit:

Zing!
02-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Too late. When troubled times begin to bother me, I take a...

So this is love
02-23-2013, 09:00 PM
ok you'll be half forgiven if you post your local newspaper review of the show.....:beers8:

So this is love
02-23-2013, 09:47 PM
I mean we have Tremonti, Myles Kennedy and Wolf Van Fucking Halen what else do you need folks? this is awesome...Imagine I like Kennedy better than the fucking axl,,,,,,this is will be a kick ass band....

DLR Bridge
02-23-2013, 11:44 PM
I mean we have Tremonti, Myles Kennedy and Wolf Van Fucking Halen what else do you need folks? this is awesome...Imagine I like Kennedy better than the fucking axl,,,,,,this is will be a kick ass band....

Have you been snorting detergent?

So this is love
02-23-2013, 11:50 PM
what do you mean dude?

DLR Bridge
02-24-2013, 06:01 AM
what do you mean dude?

That was jokingly in response to "what else do you need?"

I most certainly don't "need" an active member of VH washing dishes for a subsidiary project of Creed. I have no interest in what that would even sound like. What I am interested in is having the greatest yet most fragile band ever not have it's boat rocked by it's newest addition. Grind it out for VH or leave'em be. Right about now, I'm backing both Ed's "two bands" theory and the bulk of what Dave said in RS. I'm not speaking as a purist who demands Mike back. Just someone who's waited ions for something to happen who fears that something may slip into nothing again.

ELVIS
03-14-2013, 11:26 AM
:elvis:

DLR Bridge
03-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Can't open it. Does this say anything new?

ThatArtGuy
03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Nothing new. Just what has been repeated multiple times about the call, then the call back, then Wolf learning all the songs in 24 hours.

ZahZoo
03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Nothing new. Just what has been repeated multiple times about the call, then the call back, then Wolf learning all the songs in 24 hours.

This is where legends are born. Make sure you get it right... 35 years from now he'll be repeating the same story to your grand children...

BTW did you know that Ed actually started out playing drums and then picked up playing guitar on Alex's axe while Alex was out delivering newspapers? Who would have thought...

ZahZoo
03-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Can't open it. Does this say anything new?

It's a picture... make up your own 1000 words!!

Nitro Express
03-14-2013, 01:38 PM
The biggest kind. I hate snow. Anything below freezing is for sucks.

There is no such thing as shitty weather just shitty gear. If what you live in and your vehicle is built for cold weather and snow and you learn to play in it, life is good. I purposefully moved where there is a lot of snow in the winter time because I wanted to play in it. Mid winter we always get down to at least minus 20F a night and I have no idea it's that cold in the warm and toasty house. It's fun to go out in the hot tub when it's that cold because your hair freezes.

I have camped out in the snow many many times. It's great. No bugs, no mud, no rain and flooding, no rocks under your sleeping area. Some of the most miserable times I have spent have been in a warm climate. One time in Guatemala comes to mind. I hate big spiders and annoying monkeys. At least in Minnesota you don't have big ass spiders and poisonous snakes. Going through jungle sucks.

DLR Bridge
03-14-2013, 01:41 PM
It's a picture... make up your own 1000 words!!

It was a video smarty pants, and regretfully, it eventually opened. That "I'm so angraaaayyyyy!!!" type of music does zip for me.

basstar66
03-14-2013, 05:18 PM
I also love all of the classic guys like Jack Bruce of Cream, John Entwistle of The Who and Jaco Pastorius.

dam the kid has great taste !!!

Nitro Express
03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
I also love all of the classic guys like Jack Bruce of Cream, John Entwistle of The Who and Jaco Pastorius.

dam the kid has great taste !!!

You can hear the influences. I always liked Jack Casady's bass playing. Fortunately he likes to teach and you can take bass lessons from him. I did that a few years back and had lots of questions. He's into tone and after the class was over we had a good talk about amps, speakers, and pickups.

I always get comments on my tone and that tone really is from what I learned from Jack. It's from how you play the stings down to the speaker cabinet dynamics. That guy knows his stuff and thinks out of the box. He's not so much into the big loud amps blazing anymore but still knows how to rock it.

Jack had an old Versatone amp like what he used in the Jefferson Airplane days. He said he tried everything but nothing gets the grit as good as a Versatone. Sometimes I will use a 5150 head for overdriven dirt and I have a volume pedal on the front of it to bring it in and out. I notice Wolfie uses 5150 heads in a similar fashion. I also like a 15 on the bottom and tens on top. No horns. I drive 12's with the 5150 and mix that in. It sounds great. for the 10's and 15's I use power amps driven with an old Alembic preamp usually.

basstar66
03-14-2013, 06:27 PM
You can hear the influences. I always liked Jack Casady's bass playing. Fortunately he likes to teach and you can take bass lessons from him. I did that a few years back and had lots of questions. He's into tone and after the class was over we had a good talk about amps, speakers, and pickups.

I always get comments on my tone and that tone really is from what I learned from Jack. It's from how you play the stings down to the speaker cabinet dynamics. That guy knows his stuff and thinks out of the box. He's not so much into the big loud amps blazing anymore but still knows how to rock it.

Jack had an old Versatone amp like what he used in the Jefferson Airplane days. He said he tried everything but nothing gets the grit as good as a Versatone. Sometimes I will use a 5150 head for overdriven dirt and I have a volume pedal on the front of it to bring it in and out. I notice Wolfie uses 5150 heads in a similar fashion. I also like a 15 on the bottom and tens on top. No horns. I drive 12's with the 5150 and mix that in. It sounds great. for the 10's and 15's I use power amps driven with an old Alembic preamp usually.

WOW , that is some fn monster tone omg ... i totally agree about the tone that
is why the ox started experimenting with piano strings on his bass back in the day

and thank you for the vid never seen tha b4 :)