PDA

View Full Version : David Lee Roth - Big Trouble

WARF
02-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Hands down my favorite song on "EEAS"

Anyone else agree?

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OqLunSb5NFQ?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OqLunSb5NFQ?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Coyote
02-25-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm still trying to nail the solo... 'Tis a challenging one.

lesfunk
02-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Hands down my favorite song on "EEAS"

Anyone else agree?

No...

lesfunk
02-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Elephant Gun
Shyboy
Tobacco Road
Bump and Grind
I'm easy
all greater than...

WARF
02-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Elephant Gun
Shyboy
Tobacco Road
Bump and Grind
I'm easy
all greater than...

Every song is pretty awesome! I would have EEAS ranked just as high as any album from the "6 pack" but I think That's Life should have been on the Crazy From The Heat ep. I ain't saying I don't like that song, it just doesn't fit well on the album.

Believe it or not "Ladies Night In Buffalo" I'd rank as my second favorite after "Big Trouble". I love the Vai solo in that song. It's just plain awesome.... pretty much like everything on Eat Em And Smile.

sandy toes
02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Agreement here. Roth has a great vibe going on this song. Steve Vai's best tone on the album is on this song.

Terry
02-25-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm still trying to nail the solo... 'Tis a challenging one.

It was actually kind of amazing hearing boots of the 1986 tour and listening to Vai nail it note-for-note just like on the album: that solo sounded like something he totally improvised (and maybe he did), but if that's the case to be able to go back and play it with that much accuracy is pretty astounding.

Terry
02-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Every song is pretty awesome! I would have EEAS ranked just as high as any album from the "6 pack" but I think That's Life should have been on the Crazy From The Heat ep. I ain't saying I don't like that song, it just doesn't fit well on the album.

Believe it or not "Ladies Night In Buffalo" I'd rank as my second favorite after "Big Trouble". I love the Vai solo in that song. It's just plain awesome.... pretty much like everything on Eat Em And Smile.

That's Life and I'm Easy both kinda sound like they would have fit a little better on Crazy From The Heat...

Not bad tunes, agreed, but considering how slammingly brutal the rest of the proceedings are, they both seem out of place...I'm Easy even more so than That's Life...

I mean, Yankee Rose, Shyboy and then...I'm Easy (?)...followed by Ladies Night in Buffalo...kind of odd sequencing.

WARF
02-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Here's the Demo for "Big Trouble"

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h4A79OXsU-E?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h4A79OXsU-E?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

WARF
02-25-2013, 08:57 PM
That's Life and I'm Easy both kinda sound like they would have fit a little better on Crazy From The Heat...

Not bad tunes, agreed, but considering how slammingly brutal the rest of the proceedings are, they both seem out of place...I'm Easy even more so than That's Life...

I mean, Yankee Rose, Shyboy and then...I'm Easy (?)...followed by Ladies Night in Buffalo...kind of odd sequencing.

I meant to include, "I'm Easy" to that list.

I agree with you a 100% take out those two and you got a flawless album. Hell, let's take out "Hina" and "Damn Good" from skyscraper and replace them. Imagine That!

WARF
02-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Steve Vai telling a story about some chick funneling beer in her ass from the "Eat Em' And Smile" tour!

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H8Mg1YexwSg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H8Mg1YexwSg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

thismusicsux
03-26-2013, 02:19 AM

yup.. I'd say these are my fav
1. Big Trouble
2. Ladies Night -- great solo
3. elephant gun
etc...

I don't mind the 2 big band songs. yeah they wouldve fit perfectly on the EP though.

atlantakat
03-26-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm with WARF on this one.

I used to blast Big Trouble in the car singing along with Dave and then hit rewind and do it again and again. While I liked the rest of EEAS, Big Trouble was by far my favorite song.

It's funny, tells a story, the guitar comments on the characters (love Vai speaking as the "Mouse" character throughout the song), it has a killer punchy power chord chorus and then that soaring magical bridge -- for me, the best combination of Dave's melodic/philosophic side with Vai's compositional grandeur captured on record.

Vai was and is a complete Monster and his solo beginning with the octaves interlude is an absolutely killer tour de force. I too spent many a moon reviewing the transcription of that solo and never got anywhere near playing it cleanly, let alone at tempo. The dude can make the most difficult passages seem absolutely effortless.

Lose The Dress
12-23-2013, 09:46 PM
My favorite from EEAS changes from time to time. Right now I would tend to agree on Big Trouble, with Ladies Nite and Bump N Grind right behind it. I can listen to that album all day every day and never grow tired of it.

Coyote
12-24-2013, 02:56 AM
It was actually kind of amazing hearing boots of the 1986 tour and listening to Vai nail it note-for-note just like on the album: that solo sounded like something he totally improvised (and maybe he did), but if that's the case to be able to go back and play it with that much accuracy is pretty astounding.

Apparently, that's the side-effect of attending Berklee... And kickstarting a career with Frank Zappa...

(I still haven't nailed that last tapping part of the solo, BTW. But it is within reach.)

Seshmeister
12-24-2013, 06:02 AM
It's a fucking bitch.

Years ago when I used to work had at such things I got it to the point of the tapping part(which is difficult enough) but never nailed the last bit.

Like anything I guess it's doable if you put in enough time, I've since seen people on YouTube do it, the problem with it is timing as it's 14th notes or some weird shit like that.

vandeleur
12-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Playing someone else's solo is kinda a dogs in the traffic exercise , you run around chasing ya tail but never crack it .
I killed myself to learn ladies night in buffalo . Every note was there but it's never the same .
When it comes to solo's I use the " interpretation " or "reimagining" card to get out of jail .
Saves me explaining the shear lack of talent on display :biggrin:

vandeleur
12-24-2013, 06:55 AM
When I say never the same I mean fucking miles away :D

Coyote
12-24-2013, 07:08 AM
It's a fucking bitch.

Years ago when I used to work had at such things I got it to the point of the tapping part(which is difficult enough) but never nailed the last bit.

Like anything I guess it's doable if you put in enough time, I've since seen people on YouTube do it, the problem with it is timing as it's 14th notes or some weird shit like that.

32nd notes, to be exact... Ten of 'em within one beat. Jazz-fusion shit...

Coyote
12-24-2013, 07:11 AM
When I say never the same I mean fucking miles away :D

I guess the trickiest part in learning someone else's solo, is nailing the "emotional content". The notes and technique are relatively simple compared to that.

vandeleur
12-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Very true , well put .

Coyote
12-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Trust me, I have some experience on that... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Seshmeister
12-24-2013, 11:16 AM
I have one of my own I really struggle with.

I was miming it last week for the video and fucked it up 3 or 4 times.

I'd never tried to play it completely sober before. :)

ThrillsNSpills
03-16-2014, 09:40 AM
That is a crazy tappin part.

Seshmeister
03-18-2014, 10:37 PM
It doesn't make any more sense at that speed. :)

Jérôme Frenchise
03-23-2014, 07:43 AM
I think it makes sense to those who think Vai plays just whatever runs into his fingers because it's too fast for them. :)

Coyote
04-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Couldn't nail the tapping bit...

Seshmeister
04-03-2014, 07:43 PM
What a cop out, why even bother? :)

I rarely take the time to learn something properly these days, but surely if you are going to put it up there on the interweb you should either play the thing or take it further not duck it?

It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi... :)

ELVIS
04-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Maybe the fag thought it was good...

ELVIS
04-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Those vocals sure make you appreciate Dave, eh ??

:biggrin:

ELVIS
04-03-2014, 07:51 PM
How can you get past the vocals to even hear the solo ??

ELVIS
04-03-2014, 07:55 PM
I rarely take the time to learn something properly these days :)

Try this...

:elvis:

ELVIS
04-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Can't hang ??

Figures...

Coyote
04-04-2014, 06:43 PM
What a cop out, why even bother? :)

I rarely take the time to learn something properly these days, but surely if you are going to put it up there on the interweb you should either play the thing or take it further not duck it?

It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi... :)

Well Your Honor, in my defence...

#1, That was an application demo to a music college in which the requirements were twofold:
- it had to be of a genre most closest to the applicants preferences
- it had to be a one take affair

#2, I almost missed the given deadline of March 31st, due to work and other bullshit related to aforementioned application, including making three songs from scratch, working out an efficient recording schedule and playing every instrument (drums, bass & guitar) for them.
And no, Elbow, I didn't sing on them. A scratch vocal melody is there, albeit played on guitar.

#3, I can't remember ever claiming to be a singer. I did the vocals on that out of necessity.

But thanks for the critique. :thumb:
I'll put up a better version when I have the time...

ELVIS
04-04-2014, 06:46 PM

Let's hear more of those vocals !!

if6was9
04-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Vai's solos were stellar, but his riffs were so shitty.

vandeleur
04-04-2014, 06:48 PM
I love the riff on going crazy.

Coyote
04-04-2014, 06:49 PM

Let's hear more of those vocals !!

Let's hear yours first...

Seshmeister
04-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Well Your Honor, in my defence...

#1, That was an application demo to a music college in which the requirements were twofold:
- it had to be of a genre most closest to the applicants preferences
- it had to be a one take affair

#2, I almost missed the given deadline of March 31st, due to work and other bullshit related to aforementioned application, including making three songs from scratch, working out an efficient recording schedule and playing every instrument (drums, bass & guitar) for them.
And no, Elbow, I didn't sing on them. A scratch vocal melody is there, albeit played on guitar.

#3, I can't remember ever claiming to be a singer. I did the vocals on that out of necessity.

But thanks for the critique. :thumb:
I'll put up a better version when I have the time...

Ohhhhhh fuck!!!

I'm so sorry I had no idea that was you.

Just stupid drunk guitarist talk. I was just being a dick.

ashstralia
04-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Fwiw, I knew it was Coyote, and I think it's pretty bloody good!!
I've been playing my own dodgy version of the tapping bit, and it's nothing like that dude's video. play it fast enough and clean enough no one can tell the difference.

vandeleur
04-05-2014, 04:18 AM
Looking back over the thread , am sure sesh didn't mean to be twat . But looking back it's funny as fuck .
Sorry coyote but you should put the bontempi bit on ya sig to remind him of his tact :biggrin:

Seshmeister
04-05-2014, 05:02 AM
I didn't even listen to it, I just fast forwarded to the guitar solo, heard it wasn't the same and started mouthing off like I was ELVIS or something.

I'm very fucking embarrassed about this... :)

vandeleur
04-05-2014, 05:06 AM
:lmao:

ashstralia
04-05-2014, 06:32 AM
SessionMaster, We expect a 1000 word essay by Monday.

:bigwink:

Coyote
04-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I didn't even listen to it, I just fast forwarded to the guitar solo, heard it wasn't the same and started mouthing off like I was ELVIS or something.

I'm very fucking embarrassed about this... :)

As you should be. :biggrin:

I've heard worse in real life, though.

ELVIS
04-05-2014, 09:26 AM

:)

Feels good, doesn't it ??

:elvis: