03-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Fuck I hope that comes off :killer:

twonabomber
03-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I would prefer a full summer tour.

8 hours 52 minutes to Oshkosh...

vandeleur
03-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Maybe this is just foreplay before the big tour ... think of it as outside tops :biggrin:

twonabomber
03-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Maybe this is just foreplay before the big tour ... think of it as outside tops :biggrin:

Maybe it's a stop in the middle of the tour.

Summer sheds? I HATE going to Blossom but you know I'll make an exception for VH.

ELVIS
03-04-2013, 12:11 PM
A fucking one-off gig in Wisconsin ??

Zing!
03-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Damn... That's right next door! But I think we already have vacation plans for that weekend. Hate to miss it if this is for reals. I will talk to the wifey ASAP.

Nitro Express
03-04-2013, 12:15 PM

They did one at the US Festival in 1983. I don't think the gig in Wisconsin is going to offer VH US Festival kind of money.

twonabomber
03-04-2013, 12:16 PM

Patience...

FORD
03-04-2013, 12:21 PM
¿The fountain is clearest at its source...... ?

LoungeMachine
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM

The nerve....

How dare they.....

:gulp:

Obviously someone in their camp forgot to check with you first.

DLR Bridge
03-04-2013, 12:26 PM
I wonder who the 4th luckier than hell act is. Is Dokken still Lynchless? Is Ratt once again Pearcyless? Is Jackyl still just a lame band that brings a chainsaw out on stage?

Va Beach VH Fan
03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Stuck.....

twonabomber
03-04-2013, 12:36 PM
I wonder who the 4th luckier than hell act is. Is Dokken still Lynchless? Is Ratt once again Pearcyless? Is Jackyl still just a lame band that brings a chainsaw out on stage?

First thing I thought was "it's gonna be a LONG day..."

LoungeMachine
03-04-2013, 12:49 PM

yes

sadaist
03-04-2013, 01:09 PM

It's just the first announced gig. First date to slip out. I have a feeling this will be a busy summer. Give it a few more weeks for more dates to leak out as promoters start releasing their dates.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Would be really surprised to see this pan out to an entire tour with Ratt...

Although I'd much rather watch Ratt than KATG....

DLR Bridge
03-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Would be really surprised to see this pan out to an entire tour with Ratt...

Although I'd much rather watch Ratt than KATG....

Carlos Cavazo in Robin Crosby's spot worked out pretty well, actually better when I saw them a few years ago. Don't know if he kept the gig, though. Who's playing the part of Stephen Pearcy these days?

twonabomber
03-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Gotta buy tickets for all four days? meh.

Carmine
03-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks for posting this, Bomber...I was stuck in a meeting...

RATT is Pearcy, DeMartini, Cavazo, Blotzer and Croucier...we had them up here in August 2010 at my buddy's place for a gig...they rocked...

I may fly in for this...

Carmine
03-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Gotta buy tickets for all four days? meh.

If you buy tickets from March 11-13, they're only $49 for all 4 days!

hambon4lif
03-04-2013, 01:35 PM
140 miles from the house in the middle of summer?

This is a Harley run!

I'm there, motherfuckers!!:thumb:

chefcraig
03-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Is Jackyl still just a lame band that brings a chainsaw out on stage?

So there I am, around 12 AM on a Thursday night and not having to go into work the following morning. After having imbibed more than a Falstaffian amount of alcohol and microwaved pizza, I'm flicking channels and run across a bizarre show (Full Throttle Saloon) about the comings and goings of a bar set in Sturgis during the annual bike week held there. Wanna guess what the main source of conflict was, set amongst the titillating shots of chicks in bikinis or biker gear? You guessed it...Jackyl, and the band's lead singer Jesse James Dupree, who in addition to selling his own brand of whiskey, felt it would be a cool idea to leap off of a bridge into a stack of wet cardboard at the end of his group's set. Tragically, he survived the incident, coming away unhurt (yet limping) and apparently no wiser.

Seriously, I couldn't make this shit up. In a previous season, the bonehead did the human cannon ball trick, getting launched out of one and once again landing on his noggin.

LINK: Full Throttle Saloon (http://www.fullthrottlesaloon.com/)

Carmine
03-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Now these are VIP's!!!! Seats in the first 10 rows, beer, food...

VIP UP-FRONT GOLD
ROCK USA’s Best!
Limited availability…when they're gone, they're gone!
FOR 72 HOURS 'ONLINE ONLY'…March 11-13. Save $100 off gate price & get 4th day free!

Ticket includes: First 11 Rows of Up-Front Seating…No Amenities Included on Wednesday…VIP Meals… Beer & Soft Drinks… Deluxe Private Restrooms… Up-Front Parking… Express 'After-Show' Exiting… Daily Drawings for Backstage Passes To Meet The Stars. And Get this… VIPs get to lock in their same seats every year! All persons in the VIP section must have a ticket including infants and children.
Offer Ends Wednesday 3/13…then it's over! $399.00

VIP UP-FRONT SILVER
FOR 72 HOURS 'ONLINE ONLY'…March 11-13. Save $150 off gate price & get 4th day free! Similar to VIP Gold in Rows 12-22. Includes all the VIP Gold amenities. VIP Silver also lock in their same seats each year. All persons in the VIP section must have a ticket including infants and children.
Limited Availability…Offer Ends Wednesday 3/13 $299.00

RESERVED UP-FRONT GOLD
FOR 72 HOURS 'ONLINE ONLY'…March 11-13. Save $60 off gate price & get 4th day free!
Reserved Rows 1-11. Includes Reserved Seating and Private Restrooms. Reserved Gold seating is limited and available only while they last. Reserved Gold get to lock in their same seats each year. All persons in the RESERVED section must have a ticket including infants and children. $169.00

RESERVED SILVER
FOR 72 HOURS 'ONLINE ONLY'…March 11-13. Save $120 off gate price & get 4th day free!
Similar to Reserved Gold in Rows 12-25. Includes Reserved Seating and Private Restrooms. Reserved seating is also limited and available only while they last. Reserved Silver also get to lock in their same seats each year. All persons in the RESERVED section must have a ticket including infants and children $109.00

PETE'S BROTHER
03-04-2013, 01:44 PM
So there I am, around 12 AM on a Thursday night and not having to go into work the following morning. After having imbibed more than a Falstaffian amount of alcohol and microwaved pizza, I'm flicking channels and run across a bizarre show (Full Throttle Saloon) about the comings and goings of a bar set in Sturgis during the annual bike week held there. Wanna guess what the main source of conflict was, set amongst the titillating shots of chicks in bikinis or biker gear? You guessed it...Jackyl, and the band's lead singer Jesse James Dupree, who in addition to selling his own brand of whiskey, felt it would be a cool idea to leap off of a bridge into a stack of wet cardboard at the end of his group's set. Tragically, he survived the incident, coming away unhurt (yet limping) and apparently no wiser.

Seriously, I couldn't make this shit up. In a previous season, the bonehead did the human cannon ball trick, getting launched out of one and once again landing on his noggin.

douglas t. loves this show

Va Beach VH Fan
03-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Date is apparently confirmed per Jeff at VHND....

ELVIS
03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
So, this will be the warmup gig for the Sam and Dave Van Halen Show, right ??

private parts
03-04-2013, 02:09 PM
douglas t. loves this show

I love this show too, but I'm easily entertained.

FORD
03-04-2013, 02:10 PM
So, this will be the warmup gig for the Sam and Dave Van Halen Show, right ??

Let's hope not.....

It would be torture enough sitting through Dokken, Ratt, and Jack-off. Add Hagar to that list, and it's enough to make you suicidal.

ELVIS
03-04-2013, 02:18 PM
So, does Wolf have a gig with Tremonti on July 20 ??

DLR Bridge
03-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Chef, I caught some of that shit show while flipping through the channels. Soon as I saw that jagoff pop out on stage with a 3 ft. piece of chain hanging from the microphone, I dumped it.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Chef, I caught some of that shit show while flipping through the channels. Soon as I saw that jagoff pop out on stage with a 3 ft. piece of chain hanging from the microphone, I dumped it.

i caught the episode where he rides the scoot on the tightrope and the trapeze underneath, oy

Zing!
03-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Date is apparently confirmed per Jeff at VHND....

Goddamn, that makes me ridiculously happy. It doesn't take much with this band...

DLR Bridge
03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Goddamn, that makes me ridiculously happy. It doesn't take much with this band...

If your wife has a problem with shifting around your vacation in order to attend this show, simply print out the Man Rules and hand them to her, but not before you add one more rule #1. All things family related will be adjusted to accommodate the mighty Van Halen.

Zing!
03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
If your wife has a problem with shifting around your vacation in order to attend this show, simply print out the Man Rules and hand them to her, but not before you add one more rule #1. All things family related will be adjusted to accommodate the mighty Van Halen.

That would go over like a lard omelet. I have a brother coming back from Taiwan and my folk's 50th wedding anniversary that day. Tragically, it looks like I will have to pass.

Fockalocka!

PETE'S BROTHER
03-04-2013, 03:33 PM
the anniversary of the first manned moon landing. they could come up with a cool stage entrance:innocent0001:

Zing!
03-04-2013, 03:47 PM
the anniversary of the first manned moon landing. they could come up with a cool stage entrance:innocent0001:

That's not what Alex Jones says.

1980Invasion
03-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Damn,I didn't see this coming. I booked the high dollar pkg for Rocklahoma

sonrisa salvaje
03-04-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm all for Ratt and Dokken but Jackyl not so much. I saw enough of them opening for Dave on his last solo tour. Kind of suprises me that Dokken is playing before Jackyl given the latter had one platinum record vs 3 or 4 for Dokken. I would assume whoever gets the earliest opening slot will be less popular than all of the others....somebody like Lita Ford maybe? One of the versions of Queensryche?

Matt White
03-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...maybe they'll play SUMMERFEST 2013!!!

Carmine
03-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Eddie just posted a pic of himself and somebody "Tweakin knobs" in the studio...

I don't Twitter...saw the pic on facebook...

Zing!
03-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Bummer Lynch isn't in Dokken anymore, but it'd be the shat to see the original lineup of Ratt. I could care less about Jackyl - how are they even on the bill? I would rather see somebody worthwhile like Tesla fill that spot. Hell, even Cheap Trick would be better. Oh well, not going anyway, so wish in one hand and shit in the other.

jhale667
03-04-2013, 05:45 PM
but it'd be the shat to see the original lineup of Ratt.

Will you settle for 4 out of 5? :biggrin:

VAiN
03-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Eddie just posted a pic of himself and somebody "Tweakin knobs" in the studio...

I don't Twitter...saw the pic on facebook...

I just saw that too... hmmmm... I wonder what they're messing with.. maybe a few new tracks? Remix of Jump?

Zing!
03-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Will you settle for 4 out of 5? :biggrin:

I settled for 3 out of 4 didn't I?

mug
03-04-2013, 06:15 PM
It started about 3 yrs ago. But it opened 6yrs ago to host country usa.Parking is hell getting out plan on a extra
hour to hour 1/2 before you get out. VIP OR RESERVED SEATING IS THE WAY TO GO.In the lawn chair section you
can lose yourself at night getting back to your seat its dark. Its a wide open area with 3 big tents with bands inside
rocking out, Camp if you can.There are some offsite campgrounds close by.One hotel within walking. But good luck!:high5::yo:

Northern Girl
03-04-2013, 06:42 PM
I just saw that too... hmmmm... I wonder what they're messing with.. maybe a few new tracks? Remix of Jump?

Seems it's LL Cool J...WTF!!

LoungeMachine
03-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Bummer Lynch isn't in Dokken anymore,.

As long as Don continues to be an arrogant tool, it isn't going to happen.

Mick sticks by him, Jeff is making bank in Foreigner, and George continues to bus it around to small clubs for $2k a night.

Fairwrning
03-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Im amazed at all the Jackyl haters...you all suck:bigwink:

I love that fuckin band.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Jeff is making bank in Foreigner

Keep up with the times, bar boy...

Jeff is with Steel Dragon.... ;)

LoungeMachine
03-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Keep up with the times, bar boy...

Jeff is with Steel Dragon.... ;)

:lmao:

Heard Zakk is too..... ;)

LoungeMachine
03-04-2013, 07:16 PM

I love that fuckin band.

If it wasn't for the Full Throttle Saloon they'd all be homeless by now

clarathecarrot
03-04-2013, 07:33 PM
If it wasn't for the Full Throttle Saloon they'd all be homeless by now

Jackyl is a good band lots of fun live they tour non-stop for 20 years, and are far from homeless even without FTS.

I like the kind of women that like Jackyl just like back in the old days when I would go to Journey shows..it wasn't to oogle that band..lol

As for VH playing I hope they come closer unless someone buys me a pass. I would not be found in Wisc even if I wanted to make my own cheese.

Except in the extreem nothern part fishing, that I would do as long as it was a day trip to anywhere else.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Jackyl is a good band lots of fun live they tour non-stop for 20 years, and are far from homeless even without FTS.

I like the kind of women that like Jackyl just like back in the old days when I would go to Journey shows..it wasn't to oogle that band..lol

As for VH playing I hope they come closer unless someone buys me a pass. I would not be found in Wisc even if I wanted to make my own cheese.

Except in the extreem nothern part fishing, that I would do as long as it was a day trip to anywhere else.

you spend time with kristy there or something?

VAiN
03-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Hmm, I don't think it is - at least I really hope it's not!

clarathecarrot
03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
you spend time with kristy there or something?

ammendment : Except for everything PB likes about Wisc that shit is great.:baaa:

The state was my sales territory for a 2 years...I never got laid there..lol.:sleepy:

PETE'S BROTHER
03-04-2013, 07:51 PM
ammendment : Except for everything PB likes about Wisc that shit is great.

The state was my sales territory for a 2 years...I never got laid there..lol.

aw shucks, to both

LoungeMachine
03-04-2013, 07:52 PM
...I never got laid there..lol.

49 other states and the District of Columbia join the club....

PETE'S BROTHER
03-04-2013, 07:53 PM

what is Puerto rico now? aren't we gettin' new flags soon?

jhale667
03-04-2013, 07:53 PM

:hee:

jhale667
03-04-2013, 07:55 PM

Thought they just started the "official" petitioning process?

PETE'S BROTHER
03-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Puerto rican carrot road trip!!!

clarathecarrot
03-04-2013, 07:58 PM

No flags no statehood till some hottie from there screws the carrot.....opps there she is.

I feel so used...DAMN YOU GOOGLE IMAGE!!!!

Northern Girl
03-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Hmm, I don't think it is - at least I really hope it's not!

That was the guess, and then someone went to LL's page and he posted the same picture on his page.

I didn't check it out myself.

clarathecarrot
03-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Not every night was a orgy.

So, I learned alot about fine wines and alone time in my motel room at least I learned something and here it is.. a cheap motel can let you afford a better class of wine..lol.

Northern Girl
03-04-2013, 08:13 PM
That was the guess, and then someone went to LL's page and he posted the same picture on his page.

Sure enough! It's on LL's FB page too! No context there either.

LoungeMachine
03-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Mama Said Knock You Out if you don't call Mikey and do a tour.....

jhale667
03-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Just saw it reposted from Wolf's FB page, too...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Mama Said Knock You Out if you don't call Mikey and do a tour.....

So, I'm supposed to be excited because LL Cool J is doing "something" with EVH?

I say nay nay....

PETE'S BROTHER
03-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Just saw it reposted from Wolf's FB page, too...

I was gonna go see tremonti last night, but it was sold out. chris said he coulda got us in but he was beat from yardwork

LoungeMachine
03-04-2013, 08:34 PM

I say nay nay....

At your age you get excited if you wake up in the middle of the night and make it to the bathroom in time.....

This photo-op reminds me of the disaster that was the Chris Cornell / Timbaland collaboration/abortion

jhale667
03-04-2013, 08:37 PM
This photo-op reminds me of the disaster that was the Chris Cornell / Timbaland collaboration/abortion

:019:

Va Beach VH Fan
03-04-2013, 08:38 PM
At your age you get excited if you wake up in the middle of the night and make it to the bathroom in time.....

And?

;)

Northern Girl
03-04-2013, 08:43 PM

Ladies Love Cool James!

twonabomber
03-04-2013, 09:18 PM
It started about 3 yrs ago. But it opened 6yrs ago to host country usa.Parking is hell getting out plan on a extra
hour to hour 1/2 before you get out. VIP OR RESERVED SEATING IS THE WAY TO GO.In the lawn chair section you
can lose yourself at night getting back to your seat its dark. Its a wide open area with 3 big tents with bands inside
rocking out, Camp if you can.There are some offsite campgrounds close by.One hotel within walking. But good luck!:high5::yo:

Ugh...

Va Beach VH Fan
03-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Ladies Love Cool James!

I'm very happy for you.... ;)

Zing!
03-04-2013, 09:46 PM
.Parking is hell getting out plan on a extra hour to hour 1/2 before you get out. VIP OR RESERVED SEATING IS THE WAY TO GO.In the lawn chair section you can lose yourself at night getting back to your seat its dark. Its a wide open area with 3 big tents with bands inside
rocking out, Camp if you can.There are some offsite campgrounds close by.One hotel within walking. But good luck!

F that. My 40 year old bones are too fragile for that shit. Maybe it's a good thing I already have plans. I'll watch the videos as they're posted here.

twonabomber
03-04-2013, 10:08 PM
The drive through Chicago doesn't thrill me either.

VAiN
03-04-2013, 11:28 PM
F that. My 40 year old bones are too fragile for that shit. Maybe it's a good thing I already have plans. I'll watch the videos as they're posted here.

I feel the same way.. Fuck that shit.

Nitro Express
03-04-2013, 11:52 PM

Sounds like you are past the "we will get high and we will get drunk and man there are going to be a lot of girls there and..." Ah misguided youth.

Nitro Express
03-05-2013, 12:01 AM

I used to go to Sturgis every year. There were moments when I honestly asked myself what am I doing here? I like freak shows and Sturgis is good for that.

sadaist
03-05-2013, 01:33 AM
I love that they are doing this show. The original lineup of RATT? I mean come on? How fucking cool is that? Of course not Robbin, but Carlos is a 80's guitar hero stud and fits in extremely well with Ratt. And Juan Croucier back makes it doubly awesome. Dokken is (was) a great band. Under Lock And Key is one of the best hard rock albums of the 1980's. I just wish jackyl & Great White would swap nights. And the TBA should be Queensryche if Tate were still singing. Now that would be a dream lineup.

Good for VH. This is where they belong. No Ky Mani Marley, No Kool & The Gang.....but other metal acts from the same era. Hopefully that will spur Dave to act more rock star rather than vaudeville. He is great at tailoring his attitude to fit the moment.

and the fact that they are closing out the 4 day festival is super epic. Back where they belong. Playing in front of 80,000 rock fans & being the top act and closing out the festival.

Just hope they include As Is and rock the fuck out of the place. Can't wait for the youtubes.

sadaist
03-05-2013, 01:40 AM

I love that fuckin band.

Lumberjack is what they Devil plays in hell on continuos repeat. Worst song of all times. I fucking HATE it so much I can't even describe. We used to rag on it so much when the video first came out. Everyone hated it.

That said.....

I kinda dig this tune. Tight band. Powerful voice.

DLR Bridge
03-05-2013, 05:19 AM
Just hope they include As Is and rock the fuck out of the place. Can't wait for the youtubes.

Now you're talkin'. I would hope that Dave would attempt the "drive my search engine home..." part in his mid-range register, though. If he attempts the higher note on that one, it could be as rough on the ears as Chinatown and Blood & Fire live. Hopefully, they get him doing Light Up The Sky as well. The 3 twins definitely have those tunes tee'd up.

twonabomber
03-05-2013, 07:25 AM
They should have billed Saturday as the "Without" day.

Dokken, without Lynch
Jackyl, without a hit
Ratt, without Crosby (I know...)
Van Halen, without some of Ed's intestine!

hambon4lif
03-05-2013, 07:56 AM

Dokken, without Lynch
Jackyl, without a hit
Van Halen, without some of Ed's intestine!I don't even know how you could say that shit! This could be the next gig that everyone will talk about and make a few-hundred threads out of....

What if Michael Anthony just starts belting some classic VH when the curtain drops?

Pan-de-phucking-modium!! That's what!!

It's in the heat of summer, a quick shot from the pad........there's no fucking way that I'm NOT going to witness this.

katina
03-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Japan, Australia and this new date in U.S.A in Summer !! :clap:

Sun, wonderful beaches and garotas, caipirinhas....I know Dave loves Brazil, Van Halen have a huge audience in Brazil, and a lot of people from neighbouring countries will travel there for sure.

ELVIS
03-05-2013, 08:35 AM
I would hope that Dave would attempt the "drive my search engine home..." part in his mid-range register, though. If he attempts the higher note on that one, it could be as rough on the ears as Chinatown and Blood & Fire live.

You mean the famous Roth Cringe Yelp®

:biggrin:

Zing!
03-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Sounds like you are past the "we will get high and we will get drunk and man there are going to be a lot of girls there and..." Ah misguided youth.

Yep - now it's more like "we're getting screwed by Ticketmaster and gas is HOW much per gallon and I just spent $40 for nachos and a beer and..."

ELVIS
03-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Screwed is far too nice of a word...

PETE'S BROTHER
03-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Yep - now it's more like "we're getting screwed by Ticketmaster and gas is HOW much per gallon and I just spent $40 for nachos and a beer and..."

still outta thanx :baaa:

sadaist
03-05-2013, 12:10 PM
I really think this site has jumped the shark. We got TWO Van Halen concert festivals coming up in very short order, with one being in Australia for the first time with Dave & Eddie and the other being a pretty cool rock festival with some fun 80's rock bands and what do I see when I come here?

EVERY SINGLE recent post on the right side bar is in the Kristy attention whore - we hate her for being a troll/but love to talk about him - thread.

Seriously guys, Van Halen is on the verge of a huge summer. That side bar should only show posts from the main forum. I doubt any new viewers to the site wanna see you guys have 58 page wank fest thread of inside jokes. Get back to the reason we are here.

These guys.....

http://load.kovideo.net/s/raw/n/Van_Halen_Single.jpg

and hey, they are playing an outdoor show with these guys!!!

http://twitpic.com/show/large/9wowfc

DLR Bridge
03-05-2013, 12:15 PM
EVERY SINGLE recent post on the right side bar is in the Kristy attention whore - we hate her for being a troll/but love to talk about him - thread.

Seriously guys, Van Halen is on the verge of a huge summer. That side bar should only show posts from the main forum. I doubt any new viewers to the site wanna see you guys have 58 page wank fest thread of inside jokes. Get back to the reason we are here.

Here here.

ZahZoo
03-05-2013, 12:22 PM
I really think this site has jumped the shark. We got TWO Van Halen concert festivals coming up in very short order, with one being in Australia for the first time with Dave & Eddie and the other being a pretty cool rock festival with some fun 80's rock bands and what do I see when I come here?

Are you freakin crazy??

Do you really want those Mods posting in Main all the time?

That's why Sarge created The Dump™ so his administrative staff would have a place to play without disrupting the regular membership!!

BTW it is fantastic to hear news of new bookings rather than pussy cancellations!!

ELVIS
03-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Give it time...

VHscraps
03-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I look at that festival and I say 'meh'.

Sure, I can see that some or you might get excited that they are at least still playing at all. But why do they have to play it so fucking safe? If they are gonna play outdoor gigs, why not play one where the crowd needs to be won over, where they need to really make some new converts? Surely this is just a notch above playing state fairs and the like ...

Are they just gonna play fucking safe, and mostly stay in the US until they drop dead ... a proper tour of fucking Europe, ya cunts.

We are talking about one of the greatest American rock bands ever - not some 80s hair band.

Jesus ...

Northern Girl
03-05-2013, 07:52 PM
I look at that festival and I say 'meh'

I say 'eh.'

why not play one where the crowd needs to be won over, where they need to really make some new converts?

This is what Dave wants and seems to be trying for, but...

We are talking about one of the greatest American rock bands ever - not some 80s hair band.

Yeah, for fuck's sake!

Nickdfresh
03-05-2013, 07:57 PM
I would prefer a full summer tour.

8 hours 52 minutes to Oshkosh...

And eight hours of assholes to Van Halen...

sadaist
03-06-2013, 04:34 AM

Dokken, without Lynch
Jackyl, without a hit
Van Halen, without some of Ed's intestine!

LOL.

I will say though that Ratt is doing it right & respectful to their fans. This IS the original lineup. Sadly Robbin is no longer with us and his story is a sad one. When you really learn about the guy by all accounts he was a really nice guy that everyone who knew him loved.

But they had to fill his slot, and I think Carlos is maybe the only guy that is perfect. He is humble, doesn't want the spotlight, comes from the exact tiny microcosm of the genre, lost his singer as Ratt lost their guitarist, and just feels right in the band. Unlike professional band killer & musical whore Vivian Campbell, Carlos Cavazo fits Ratt almost as if he has been there from the garage days in Santee, CA at Pearcys house after school.

The only thing that ever bothered me with Ratt was their inability to bring Juan Croucier back in the mix. Regardless of that guys playing skill, his antics onstage are second to none and as much a piece of Ratt as Pearcys funky hairdo or Warrens snakeskin guitars or Bobby Blotzer smelling like alcohol.

Ratt N' Roll!!!

Southpaw
03-12-2013, 06:17 PM
would cost me $1000 plus to see Van Halen play for an hour fifteen tops @ end of loong day... tempting but I'll roll dice something closer to Northeast will happen

Seshmeister
03-12-2013, 06:26 PM
I look at that festival and I say 'meh'.

Sure, I can see that some or you might get excited that they are at least still playing at all. But why do they have to play it so fucking safe? If they are gonna play outdoor gigs, why not play one where the crowd needs to be won over, where they need to really make some new converts? Surely this is just a notch above playing state fairs and the like ...

Are they just gonna play fucking safe, and mostly stay in the US until they drop dead ... a proper tour of fucking Europe, ya cunts.

Ok so now we know how to talk to the VH camp in order to get results... :D

VAiN
03-13-2013, 03:06 PM
would cost me $1000 plus to see Van Halen play for an hour fifteen tops @ end of loong day... tempting but I'll roll dice something closer to Northeast will happen

I'm right there with you. I priced out a flight, room & tix and it's over $1000. No thanks.. I've seen this line-up 11 times so far, so I'm good for now or until they launch a proper US tour.

Never was
03-13-2013, 11:42 PM
Sadist Juancito is actually back in the fold with Ratt and really was never too far away from Warren and Bobby. The joy he plays with is just infectous, such an amazing guy, everything Pearcy isn't.

hambon4lif
03-21-2013, 06:41 PM
There are a few updates regarding this festival.
There's some good news, and some bad news...

The good news is that the "$59 for all four days" deal is still available, and will be for at least another week. (Thursday the 28th)

Bret Michaels has backed out, leaving the headlining spot for Day 3 open.

And the bad news?....I was just fucking around...there really isn't any.

Northern Girl
03-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Bret Michaels has backed out, leaving the headlining spot for Day 3 open.

Here's the bad news! Maybe Chickenfoot will get that spot!

Dave's Bitch
03-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Here's the bad news! Maybe Chickenfoot will get that spot!

They may get bottled off the stage though.Every cloud has a silver lining

jhale667
03-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Sadist Juancito is actually back in the fold with Ratt and really was never too far away from Warren and Bobby. The joy he plays with is just infectous, such an amazing guy, everything Pearcy isn't.

He is a genuinely nice guy, too... think I've told this story here before, but was at a party in the early/mid-90s talking to some friends and Ratt came up - pretty sure someone was bagging on them. Anyway, I mentioned that Warren was a guitar influence and had (has) some of the coolest guitars ever seen, and that I'd thought Juan was a solid player with killer stage presence I'd been aware of and thought was cool since he was in Dokken (pre-Jeff Pilson, "Paris is Burning" era ). And that I remembered looking at the back cover of "Out of the Cellar" in the record store the day I bought it and going "Isn't this the dude from Dokken?" :biggrin: A little later some (seemingly) random dude walks up to me and says "Hey, btw - that really meant a lot, what you said. Thanks, dude." and walked away... :headlights: I looked a my friend puzzled, and he whispers "Yeah, that was Juan Croucier..." totally didn't recognize him! Told my friend "Well, at least I wasn't talking shit..." :lmao:

:guitar:

hambon4lif
03-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Here's the bad news! Maybe Chickenfoot will get that spot!I've heard that a few times too, but the latest buzz is that the spot might actually go to Rammstein.

Whoever ends up getting it, it doesn't really matter to me. Even though we'll be there for the full four days, I'm only there to see Van Halen. While bands like Chickenshit and Cheeseryche are on, I'll be spending that time hanging out with the crowd and making some brand new friends.

There's some rule they have that there can only be 6 people to a campground. Personally, I think it's fucking ridiculous, and it will most likely be the first rule we end up breaking. Are you fucking kidding me?

It's the only U.S. date Van Halen will be playing this year.
It's Van Halen with 3 and a half days worth of opening acts.
It's going to be one of the biggest parties of the summer!

I'm already starting to get a bit psyched!

Terry
03-21-2013, 09:45 PM
He is a genuinely nice guy, too... think I've told this story here before, but was at a party in the early/mid-90s talking to some friends and Ratt came up - pretty sure someone was bagging on them. Anyway, I mentioned that Warren was a guitar influence and had (has) some of the coolest guitars ever seen, and that I'd thought Juan was a solid player with killer stage presence I'd been aware of and thought was cool since he was in Dokken (pre-Jeff Pilson, "Paris is Burning" era ). And that I remembered looking at the back cover of "Out of the Cellar" in the record store the day I bought it and going "Isn't this the dude from Dokken?" :biggrin: A little later some (seemingly) random dude walks up to me and says "Hey, btw - that really meant a lot, what you said. Thanks, dude." and walked away... :headlights: I looked a my friend puzzled, and he whispers "Yeah, that was Juan Croucier..." totally didn't recognize him! Told my friend "Well, at least I wasn't talking shit..." :lmao:

:guitar:

Kind of surprising that Croucier has rejoined Ratt...is this a fairly recent thing, or has he been back for a couple years already? The last time I really paid attention to Ratt was when their VH1 Behind The Music episode aired several years back, and the only member of the band that didn't come off like a half-witted, burnt-out aging rocker was Croucier, who came off as quite intelligent and clearly had a lot of ill-will toward the rest of the band. I have seen several youtubes of the band playing with Cavazo, and from what I heard, Cavazo seems to fit in well with what the band is doing now. Cavazo, from the interviews I've seen, also comes off as a decent, humble guy.

I can't say that beyond Van Halen much of the lineup before them means much to me these days. I mean, a Lynchless-Dokken? The idea of seeing that is about as exciting as looking at a picture of a naked woman after just having had an orgasm. From the youtubes I'd seen a couple of years back of Ratt when Cavazo first joined, Pearcy's voice sounded really, really fucking shot. These were videos from a few different shows, as well, so it wasn't as if it was just one off-night, either. Like, shot to the point where the voice was barely recognizable as Pearcy's...so, if that's the way he sounds now, I'm unsure what is so great about having him there beyond "symbolic classic Ratt lineup authenticity". I mean, I liked Ratt way back in the day, actually saw 'em twice in the 1980s and still enjoy a fair amount of their music, but even thinking about it now Pearcy's voice wasn't so great live in the 1980s, either. And Jackyl, to me, is just a one-off novelty act. I know more than a few people who dig that band, but...not so much.

I'm not gonna say every band that emerged from LA in the wake of Van Halen's success were 100% useless jag-offs propped up solely by radio-friendly fodder and the ability to look good on MTV, but as much as I like some of what Dokken and Ratt did, Van Halen is just in another league. To me, Van Halen is up there with the greatest rock bands of all time. Always has been, always will be.

DLR Bridge
03-21-2013, 09:59 PM
I thought Pearcy's voice was ok when I saw them last. It was a little froggier than normal, but I went in with low expectations. :)

jhale667
03-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Kind of surprising that Croucier has rejoined Ratt...is this a fairly recent thing, or has he been back for a couple years already? The last time I really paid attention to Ratt was when their VH1 Behind The Music episode aired several years back, and the only member of the band that didn't come off like a half-witted, burnt-out aging rocker was Croucier, who came off as quite intelligent and clearly had a lot of ill-will toward the rest of the band. I have seen several youtubes of the band playing with Cavazo, and from what I heard, Cavazo seems to fit in well with what the band is doing now. Cavazo, from the interviews I've seen, also comes off as a decent, humble guy.

That he is. Carlos is an awesome guy to tech for, or just to hang with. I was totally stoked to hear he'd taken the Ratt gig. I haven't seen the behind the music episode, will try to check it out.

Terry
03-22-2013, 09:02 PM
That he is. Carlos is an awesome guy to tech for, or just to hang with. I was totally stoked to hear he'd taken the Ratt gig. I haven't seen the behind the music episode, will try to check it out.

It was actually delayed a couple of years from being aired then it was originally slotted to, in part because of Crosby's death and in part because the series stopped airing new episodes for a period.

It actually turned out to be one of the better one's I'd seen, which was surprising because just hearing about a 'Ratt Behind The Music' one wouldn't (at least I didn't) think it was gonna be any good. It had interviews from everyone in the band, including Crosby was was very bloated from medications he was taking (he was only a year or two away from dying when the interviews were filmed) and Croucier who was on the outs with the band at the time and not very sparing in his feelings toward the other band members. It also had interviews with Ratt producer Beau Hill and some home videos of 1980s recording sessions. In some ways, it was the most interesting thing involving the band I'd encountered since the release of Dancing Undercover. ; )

Northern Girl
04-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Wolf just tweeted asking what songs we'd like to hear at future VH shows, and some idiots are suggesting Van Hagar tunes!

Others suggesting Jump and Hot For Teacher! Seriously, who are these people? Do they even have a clue what's what?

Northern Girl
04-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I suggested Blood and Fire!

DLR Bridge
04-02-2013, 05:57 AM
Wolf just tweeted asking what songs we'd like to hear at future VH shows, and some idiots are suggesting Van Hagar tunes!

Others suggesting Jump and Hot For Teacher! Seriously, who are these people? Do they even have a clue what's what?

Lot of blistering idiots out there. I just hope they play Pretty Woman and You Really Got Me. (:shiznit:...not really)

Since Dave is doing little or nothing to preserve his pipes, they'd be smart to pull out more tunes like So This Is Love?. As much as I want to hear Blood And Fire, As Is & Light Up The Sky, I just don't see our guy pulling them off. Truly hate ta say it.

vandeleur
04-02-2013, 06:05 AM
Hate to harp on about it but with ed laid up dave could have had an check up on his vocals . Dont think he did though.

Zing!
04-02-2013, 10:21 AM
It would appear that DLR has effectively given up on his voice. I get the impression that what we heard on the 2012 tour is the new norm for him. I still think he could change his approach and adjust his mechanics for a better performance. The next few weeks and months will go a long way toward showing us if Dave is the singer in the band or just a cool old dude in the center spotlight shouting off-key lyrics.

DONNIEP
04-02-2013, 10:47 AM
It would appear that DLR has effectively given up on his voice. I get the impression that what we heard on the 2012 tour is the new norm for him. I still think he could change his approach and adjust his mechanics for a better performance. The next few weeks and months will go a long way toward showing us if Dave is the singer in the band or just a cool old dude in the center spotlight shouting off-key lyrics.

Gotta agree with Zing on this one. I'm still hanging on to the hope that he's been working on his voice but it sure doesn't look or sound like it.

Northern Girl
04-02-2013, 11:15 PM
but it sure doesn't look or sound like it.

And how would we know?

Northern Girl
04-02-2013, 11:17 PM

Wolfgang Van Halen ‏@WolfVanHalen 3h
What I've learned more than anything (after asking which songs you wanna hear) is that people think the song is called "Mean Streets" haha

Wolfgang Van Halen ‏@WolfVanHalen 1h
fyi, I'm really counting every one of your song requests, so if you haven't given me one, do it! You could see it on a future setlist...

ELVIS
04-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Wolf should man up and post here...

SunisinuS
04-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Some Day I will be awake when VH plays a festival...lol was at the US festival at my friends house that overlooked the fest....could just barely hear....grrr...someday I will see em ripping kewl.....someone get them to play HSU.

cadaverdog
04-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Some Day I will be awake when VH plays a festival...lol was at the US festival at my friends house that overlooked the fest....could just barely hear....grrr...someday I will see em ripping kewl.....someone get them to play HSU.
We stayed right accross the freeway from the entrance Saturday night. We could hear The Clash when they started talking shit about Van Halen. We knew why Dave said The Clash puts ice tea in Jack Daniels bottles when he said it.

SunisinuS
04-03-2013, 12:17 AM
I don't have twitter or facebook or any of that crap so can someone please request D.O.A. a couple hundred times? Grazi

Push Comes to Shove for me....would love to hear Wolf's take on it...

Zing!
04-03-2013, 07:36 AM
I don't have Twitter, but here's what I'd like to hear if anyone wants to tweet Wolf:

Drop Dead Legs
Big River
DOA
In A Simple Rhyme
Dirty Movies
You And Your Blues
Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers
Sinners Swing!
Sunday Afternoon In The Park
Honeybabysweetiedoll
As Is
Happy Trails

DLR Bridge
04-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Pretty decent list Zing. Don't know how bad I'd need to hear Happy Trails, but otherwise...

I remember during that other era, Mike played the bulk of Sunday Afternoon In The Park during his bass solo with Al. That was practically a show highlight!

Beer Drinkers would be great, but that had a lead vocal trade off with Mike that I can't picture Wolf doing for some reason.

mug
04-05-2013, 07:35 PM
At my buddies going away party the other sunday. The owner of rock usa/promoter was there,Dan. He told
my buddy vh cost 1 mil.

hambon4lif
04-05-2013, 08:22 PM
At my buddies going away party the other sunday. The owner of rock usa/promoter was there,Dan. He told
my buddy vh cost 1 mil.The Rock USA team had a total of 2 mil to spend on this years roster.
I have serious doubts that Van Halen demanded half of the entire fuckin' budget just to be there.

I'll be there the whole weekend, and even though Van Halen is the only reason that I'm going (BTW, all 4 days are only $69 until the end of April), I'm reality-based (just) enough to know that it's not 1983 anymore.

They still, at this moment, do NOT have a headlining act for Day 3....

unless, of course, 'TBA' is some band I'd never heard of before.

mug
04-05-2013, 08:32 PM
I shoulda asked myself but your right. I will be there also. Reserved seating.

hambon4lif
04-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I shoulda asked myself but your right. I will be there also. Reserved seating.The 'silver' pack is the best way to go. Close enough to the stage, but far enough back to take in everything. Not only that, but you get your own pisser, and the right to reserve that spot for next year (whether you go or not), Not a bad deal for the money.

I just got a cool new phone to take some kickass video, and we got ourselves a campground (though I'm still trying to figure out where the hell that is on the map).

Van Halen, 160 miles from my house, the only U.S. date they have in 2013.
Balls out!

mug
04-06-2013, 10:41 PM
On the grounds or away from site i have been to the country fest there every year so might know.

TwoFoolsAMinute
04-11-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm too old, fat, and broke for this summer festival shit.

Vinnie Velvet
05-03-2013, 10:15 AM
I don't have Twitter, but here's what I'd like to hear if anyone wants to tweet Wolf:

Drop Dead Legs
Big River
DOA
In A Simple Rhyme
Dirty Movies
You And Your Blues
Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers
Sinners Swing!
Sunday Afternoon In The Park
Honeybabysweetiedoll
As Is
Happy Trails

As long as Dave ditches the high-register, those would be good choices.

Von Halen
05-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Ok.

Who's in for this gig?

Manbone has made it clear he's going. So has mug.

Anybody else?

PETE'S BROTHER
05-10-2013, 10:22 AM
we won't make it, but PETE might :)

Anonymous
05-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Who the hell is Pete?

Cheers! :beers:

PETE'S BROTHER
05-10-2013, 10:29 AM
guess

Anonymous
05-10-2013, 10:36 AM
There's over 7 billion people in the world, dammit. How the hell am I gonna guess who one guy named Pete is, Pete's Brother?

PETE'S BROTHER
05-10-2013, 10:44 AM
call 'em all pete, i say, let cupid sort 'em out

Anonymous
05-10-2013, 10:49 AM
For Pete's sake, Pete's Brother, won't you tell me who this Pete is?

Wait... I think I'm on to something, here... Pete's Brother... Pete... Pete's sake...

Nope, lost it.

Ah, who cares? I'll figure it out eventually.

WAIT! HE'S SARAH'S BROTHER!

Of course, it's so friggin' obvious!

PETE'S BROTHER
05-10-2013, 10:50 AM
For Pete's sake, Pete's Brother, won't you tell me who this Pete is?

Wait... I think I'm on to something, here... Pete's Brother... Pete... Pete's sake...

Nope, lost it.

Ah, who cares? I'll figure it out eventually.

WAIT! HE'S SARAH'S BROTHER!

Of course, it's so friggin' obvious!

you know my wife's name too ;)

hambon4lif
05-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Ok.

Who's in for this gig?

Manbone has made it clear he's going. So has mug.

Anybody else?:lmao:

Now that they've finalized the lineup, tickets are moving alot faster. People who don't already have tix just might find themselves shit out of luck....

Wednesday
Avenged Sevenfold
Buckcherry
Saliva
Love Hammers (great fuckin' name!!)
Spiritual Plague

Thursday
Twisted Sister
Anthrax
Queensryche
Great White

Friday
Godsmack
Chevelle
Sevendust
Midnight Empire
Almost Kings

Saturday
VAN FUCKIN' HALEN!!!
Ratt
Jackyl
Dokken
Road Trip

LoungeMachine
05-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Queensryche
Great White

Wonder which versions.....

Actually a friend of mine is Geoff Taint's version's Mon Tech.

twonabomber
05-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Damn, that looks like a painful three and a half days.

LoungeMachine
05-10-2013, 03:47 PM

Hey, its keeping those bands out of the Casinos for a day.....

hambon4lif
05-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Wonder which versions.....

Actually a friend of mine is Geoff Taint's version's Mon Tech.

:gulp:He has my sympathy already....what did he do to deserve that gig? Lose a bet?

Honestly, I'm far more interested in the unknown bands. You never know which one of those bastards will end up being something.

I remember at the US Festival, Motley Crue was just a local band that had a song on the radio called 'Live Wire'...nobody knew at the time that they'd be around long enough to have a fucking career...
You never know when that can happen again...

DLR Bridge
05-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Love Hammers (great fuckin' name!!)

I think this band features Marty Casey, the first runner up on that INXS rock star tv show. I actually thought that guy was pretty good. The dick that won sucks eggs. JD something or other.

PETE'S BROTHER
05-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Casey is from illinois, i believe

LoungeMachine
05-10-2013, 04:26 PM
He has my sympathy already....what did he do to deserve that gig? Lose a bet?

I had him watch this just before he left.....he works for Kelly

LoungeMachine
05-10-2013, 04:27 PM
The dick that won sucks eggs. JD something or other.

Fired for being a coke fiend.....left at the airport. :lmao:

Anonymous
05-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Hey, its keeping those bands out of the Casinos for a day.....

At least THEY made it in the music biz... :thumb:

LoungeMachine
05-10-2013, 05:47 PM
At least THEY made it in the music biz... :thumb:

I got further than you, Shorty.

But then so did the rest of the planet.....

:beers:

Matt White
05-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Hell...I just try to stay out of the CASINOS myself!!!

Winner, winner......Chicken dinner!!!

hambon4lif
05-10-2013, 05:53 PM
....and now we're going to get a play-by-play commentary from the Portuguese chick.......

You see, folks? This is exactly why I avoid fucking Portuguese women at all costs....

....when they get their fat yapper flappin', it runs faster than shit from a goose.:thumb:

Anonymous
05-10-2013, 05:54 PM

I got further than you, Shorty.

But then so did the rest of the planet.....

OF COURSE, you did.

You just like to quit bands right before they make it, right?

Keep lying, we're here to be entertained. :lmao:

LoungeMachine
05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
I just try to shine a "light" on the little guy, hoping to "flesh" out what his real problem is, other than Napoleon Syndrome.

Back on topic...... anyone who has a problem with VH playing this gig obviously has too much time on their hands, and thinks people actually care about their whining.....

Anyone who cares about what the Portugeeks think, must really be bored.

LoungeMachine
05-10-2013, 05:57 PM
OF COURSE, you did.

You just like to quit bands right before they make it, right?

Keep lying, we're here to be entertained. :lmao:

They made it?

I didn't read that.

Do tell us more..... :)

Anonymous
05-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Well, they made it farther than YOU, apparently. :gulp:

Matt White
05-10-2013, 06:01 PM
"But ya done took all ma money!!!

http://paysbig.com/files/8113/5472/3515/potawatomi_bingo.jpg

actually...I do pretty well there! ;)

LoungeMachine
05-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Well, they made it farther than YOU, apparently. :gulp:

Hahaha.

They went from opening for Great White and playing The Hard Rock Cafe to playing local saloons.....boy you sure showed me.

What was the last gig YOU played, by the way?

Fleshlight Palace Ballroom?

Anonymous
05-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Nah, I pursued other areas.

So, NOW you're proud of having opened to a band you were just making fun of?

Nice. :lmao: :gulp:

LoungeMachine
05-10-2013, 06:06 PM
"But ya done took all ma money!!!

http://paysbig.com/files/8113/5472/3515/potawatomi_bingo.jpg

actually...I do pretty well there! ;)

Spammy is playing the Tulalip Casino about 20 miles from me next month. :lmao:

40 years of Rock and Roll he's calling it

LoungeMachine
05-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Nah, I pursued other areas.

So, NOW you're proud of having opened to a band you were just making fun of?

Nice. :lmao: :gulp:

Dying to hear all about your "other areas" you "pursued"

Matt White
05-10-2013, 06:08 PM

40 years of noise...and "The Girl Gets Around"!

priceless!!!

Anonymous
05-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Dying to hear all about your "other interests".

Nope. This site isn't about me, it's about YOU, big boy.

Now straighten that story of yours, bud.

Makes no sense. :lmao: :gulp:

LoungeMachine
05-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Nope. This site isn't about me, it's about YOU, big boy.

:

Obviously, since you're so obsessed with me. :lmao:

I'm all you think about, talk about, post about.

Lonely little man in ..... where do you live again?

Anonymous
05-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Obsessed? I'm giving you the attention you crave so much. And you're whining about it?

C'mon, Titty boy... jeez, there's just no pleasing some people.

And why would you care where I live? Wanna pay me a visit? :)

PETE'S BROTHER
05-10-2013, 06:18 PM
tards

Guitar Shark
05-10-2013, 06:20 PM
You know, I could really go for a nice salad right about now.

PETE'S BROTHER
05-10-2013, 06:21 PM

:rockit:

conmee
05-10-2013, 06:23 PM

I remember taking the old lady to Tulalip and the outlet or open air mall etc. An open air mall in pacNW, genius! Anyhow, Samuel is playing the same gig in Tahoe too. Even has the nerve on his flier to use partial logo from Montrose and VH days...

Mind The Gap©®™

Icon©®™

Anonymous
05-10-2013, 06:23 PM

Ah, but who will toss it?

hambon4lif
05-10-2013, 06:25 PM
I just try to shine a "light" on the little guy, hoping to "flesh" out what his real problem is, other than Napoleon Syndrome.

Anyone who cares about what the Portugeeks think, must really be bored.I'll admit, I'm actually amused.....much in the same way people are drawn to reality TV. Who wouldn't want to watch a good meltdown?

I'm really starting to wonder why some folks actually think the chick is even funny.

....it's like "C'mon, Chuckles!....say something to make me laugh before I start thinking that you're over-rated"

big fatty
05-10-2013, 07:04 PM
we won't make it, but PETE might :)

Who the hell is Pete?

guess

Pete Angelus's famous & fabulous old Picasso Brother ??? :confused11:

ELVIS
05-10-2013, 07:06 PM
If Van Halen would perform more like this they'll stay out of the casinos...

:rockit:

binnie
05-10-2013, 07:08 PM

After reading through yet another bitch-fest thread, I think I could use a gun right about now.

Anonymous
05-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Pete Angelus's famous & fabulous old Picasso Brother ??? :confused11:

Then that would mean that Pete's Brother is...

NO! He can't be! Is he?

big fatty
05-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Then that would mean that Pete's Brother is...

NO! He can't be! Is he?

" Say Hello to my little friend " :D

Anonymous
05-10-2013, 07:26 PM
So Dave IS wearing a wig after all.

And after the show, he takes it off, glues on a beard & trolls sites dedicated to him.

Ha!

Who'd've thunk it?

hambon4lif
05-10-2013, 09:40 PM
After reading through yet another bitch-fest thread, I think I could use a gun right about now.The best advise I could give to you, is to read through this thread, and find out where it started......
.....once you do, I'll go so far as to help you load the motherfucker!

Back on topic: Bret Michaels cheesing out was ultimately a good thing. Twisted Sister is an awesome follow-up to Anthrax.
the midwest really needs to be educated on what an NY-style moshpit is all about. (we've been slackin').

All 4 days sound awesome, and I can't wait for the meet-up!

Nickdfresh
05-10-2013, 10:02 PM

" Say Hello to my little friend " :D

That girl desperately needs ass-implants (not that I would kick her out of bed :) )...

Nickdfresh
05-11-2013, 11:07 AM

I'd fucking stab myself in the eardrums with a screwdriver first...

Nickdfresh
05-11-2013, 11:16 AM
....and now we're going to get a play-by-play commentary from the Portuguese chick.......

You see, folks? This is exactly why I avoid fucking Portuguese women at all costs....

....when they get their fat yapper flappin', it runs faster than shit from a goose.:thumb:

Especially ones that oil themselves up so they can rub up against other men... :)

PETE'S BROTHER
05-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Especially ones that oil themselves up so they can rub up against other men... :)

or fleshlights :hee:

Anonymous
05-11-2013, 11:24 AM

I thought you wanted to make peace with me & complained you couldn't?

I certainly haven't attacked you or even said anything remotely related to you ever since you claimed that.

Show your true face for all to see, Dicky... you big hunk of internet tough guy. :lmao:

Nickdfresh
05-11-2013, 11:39 AM
I thought you wanted to make peace with me & complained you couldn't?

I certainly haven't attacked you or even said anything remotely related to you ever since you claimed that.

Show your true face for all to see, Dicky... you big hunk of internet tough guy. :lmao:

LOL No. Actually I got frustrated that you're such a retarded Portapotty fuckwit, there's no use for you. :) So I asked you stay out of my way. But everyone keeps talking peace while stabbing the second someone's back is turned, so we'll have some good fun...

"Internet tough guy?" Moi? LOL

If telling "the truth" makes me "tough," then so be it. Liars have a tough time with the truth I guess...

Anonymous
05-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Ok, have fun then. ;)

Byeeeeee!

Nickdfresh
05-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Oh, I am having fun...

Cheers yourself... :guzzle:

Northern Girl
05-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Who's in for this gig?

Are you thinking of going?

Remember this??? :biggrin:

meet me at a VH show and I will make sure you are moved!

Von Halen
05-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Are you thinking of going?

Remember this??? :biggrin:

I am. I do. I will!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northern Girl
05-18-2013, 04:58 PM
I am. I do. I will!

Ha! Well, I'll let you know if I decide to go.

I'm invited to a wedding that day. I don't like weddings and obligation, but I don't like guilt either. :rolleyes:

My family is good at guilt!

Zing!
05-18-2013, 08:16 PM
My family is good at guilt!

That's pretty much why I'm not going! Stupid family guilt.

Northern Girl
05-18-2013, 08:23 PM
That's pretty much why I'm not going! Stupid family guilt.

I'm already in hot water from missing my uncle's funeral a couple weeks ago! :rolleyes:

Northern Girl
05-18-2013, 11:09 PM
OMG as the kids say! No wedding. No VH. Just got a better offer. My family can be pissed if they want. I don't care! So excited!!!!

Hardrock69
05-18-2013, 11:48 PM
I have a question for Conmee.....

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af152/conmee/c4929aa6-83f1-4edc-9e1b-e035fa22c67a_zps38791a0e.jpg

Do they also teach men what to do when they successfully fuck a 14-year-old like in that photo and get arrested and sent to the slammer for 20 years for statutory rape? :hee:

High Life Man
06-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Tickets acquired. Who else is in?

Will there be a meetup?

mug
06-01-2013, 10:11 PM
mug is in

PETE'S BROTHER
06-02-2013, 02:53 PM
dammit :pullinghair:

PETE'S BROTHER
06-02-2013, 02:54 PM
I would love to meet some Midwestern crew

sadaist
06-02-2013, 03:52 PM
I have a question for Conmee.....

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af152/conmee/c4929aa6-83f1-4edc-9e1b-e035fa22c67a_zps38791a0e.jpg

Do they also teach men what to do when they successfully fuck a 14-year-old like in that photo and get arrested and sent to the slammer for 20 years for statutory rape? :hee:

In Arkansas I believe 14 is the age of consent. But maybe that's only for blood relatives?

High Life Man
06-15-2013, 03:55 PM
For anyone who doesn't have tickets, the venue is now offering tickets for $50 at the door. The ticket is also good for all nights of the festival. Catch is you need a coupon and you must buy the ticket at the gate.

Someone dropped a bunch of these coupons at work yesterday. They should be available in the normal spots (bars, gas stations, record stores) around Whiskey....

Zing!
06-15-2013, 09:12 PM
For anyone who doesn't have tickets, the venue is now offering tickets for $50 at the door. The ticket is also good for all nights of the festival. Catch is you need a coupon and you must buy the ticket at the gate.

Someone dropped a bunch of these coupons at work yesterday. They should be available in the normal spots (bars, gas stations, record stores) around Whiskey....

Hmmmmmm...

mug
06-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Country usa starts tuesday. VH ON DECK!!

Von Halen
06-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Where the fuck are we all meeting at?

We need a pre-show party!

mug
06-24-2013, 07:39 PM
In one of the beer tents. I'll pick one and let you all know.

mug
06-24-2013, 07:41 PM
No tailgate partys are allowed. No bars close by.

Von Halen
06-24-2013, 08:05 PM
No bars? I heard that was a party town?

mug
06-24-2013, 10:10 PM
It is but thats after show. We are on the grounds all day. No time for bars. Plenty of good times there, chicks and booze.I,m bringing a VH VIRGIN.He has never
seen them before. He works with me. He's not on my list to take, but the wife is vhed out. Thought it would be cool to take a vh virgin.He plays the drums.

mug
06-24-2013, 10:12 PM
This place is across the highway from the EAA grounds.

mug
06-24-2013, 10:14 PM
GO TO WNCY.COM TO VIEW SETUP FOR COUNTRY USA. Its the same layout.Go down to sneak a peek at grounds. New this year are HD
SCREENS.

Northern Girl
07-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Only a week away. I kind of regret I won't be going, but then again not!

I don't care much for this type of venue. You either dehydrate yourself and stand for hours to get a good spot or you end up far away. Plus I hate the sun and heat anyway. July sucks ass for me.

On the other hand, I will be in air conditioning 6th row center for another band that I love that tweets everyday, has meet and greets, play shows every year, sound amazing in concert and love their fans and show it every day. Kind of a no brainer for me.

I hope you guys have as much fun as I will and you see a great show even though it will be the same show we've seen dozens of times now.

TwoFoolsAMinute
07-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Only a week away. I kind of regret I won't be going, but then again not!

I don't care much for this type of venue. You either dehydrate yourself and stand for hours to get a good spot or you end up far away. Plus I hate the sun and heat anyway. July sucks ass for me.

On the other hand, I will be in air conditioning 6th row center for another band that I love that tweets everyday, has meet and greets, play shows every year, sound amazing in concert and love their fans and show it every day. Kind of a no brainer for me.

I hope you guys have as much fun as I will and you see a great show even though it will be the same show we've seen dozens of times now.

My sentiments exactly.

hambon4lif
07-14-2013, 02:37 AM
As much as I respect the both of you and your opinions, this will not dampen my spirits in anyway whatsoever.
I have been looking forward to this for quite awhile now, and I'll be there all 4 days.....for the music...for the people....and for the experience.

There's a strong chance that this will be the very last time Van Halen plays to a crowd of 70,000 people, and I want to be one of them.

TwoFoolsAMinute
07-14-2013, 02:45 AM
Hambon, I know you'll have a blast. Love it dude. There was a time when I would have joined you. Maybe I should start working to bring that kind of life back into my life. But, I don't think less of you for going. It's going to be fun as hell. I'm just not up for it, and the more I think about how Van Halen, and Roth in particular is only half-assing it, the more I don't want to give them any more of my money. That being said, I'm sure if I lived in the neighborhood, I would attend. I'm not making sense. I'm going to stop now. Have fun Hambon. You rock, brother.

Northern Girl
07-14-2013, 08:16 AM
As much as I respect the both of you and your opinions, this will not dampen my spirits in anyway whatsoever.

I'm not trying to dampen anyone's spirits at all. I hope all of you going have a blast and it's a great show. I always want VH to do a great show whether I'm there or not!

I'm having some regrets, but still happy with my decision. I'm older than all of you (except Von :D ) and my age came into play in my decision. I don't tolerate things as well as I used to be able to (or maybe just don't want to if I don't have to).

The other concert coming up just pushed me over the edge, otherwise I'm sure I would have given in and I'd be there.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2013, 09:12 AM

Wow...

One of the best posts I've read here is quite a long time NG....

Really hits the nail on the head.....

Northern Girl
07-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Wow...

One of the best posts I've read here is quite a long time NG....

Really hits the nail on the head.....

Thanks, but I really didn't mean for that to come off as negative against VH as it did. There is a distinct difference there in regards to their relationship with their fans; but there is also a big age difference, status in history, etc. I mean I wish things were different with VH, but I don't expect it. Old dogs, new tricks, blah blah!

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks, but I really didn't mean for that to come off as negative against VH as it did. There is a distinct difference there in regards to their relationship with their fans; but there is also a big age difference, status in history, etc. I mean I wish things were different with VH, but I don't expect it. Old dogs, new tricks, blah blah!

I hear ya....

You can probably tell it's a huge pet peeve for me and VH....

They have gotten better since "The Day", meaning Dec. 26, 2011, which was the start of the VH new album/tour announcements and our involvement with Shelly and DDE....

But I would still like to see more band involvement on social media, and NOT someone who is posting on their Facebook and/or Twitter pages on their behalf....

Wolf doesn't reply back to fans from what I can see, but at least he does Tweet out various things for shows, etc....

mug
07-14-2013, 05:59 PM
If this show was not 50 mins away I would not show but if I get the chance to meet some of you that's cool. Seen them 21x
But still want to feel that big crowd rush.Like Northern girl I myself am older so I got reserved seating a lot less bullshit in those seats.
I've been to country usa every year and being in the lawn chair seating sucks. Plus plan on it takeing some time getting out after.Plus
get there early. You do not want to get there after 6 the cars might be backed up onto and down the highway.The wait might be 1/2 hr
or longer depending on weather or road work which by the way is going on.They are in the process of changing this highway into a interstate.

mug
07-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Weather for sat,high of 76 low 51 should make all happy. No air cond, to worry about Dave.

TJMKID
07-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Weather for sat,high of 76 low 51 should make all happy. No air cond, to worry about Dave.

Dave will launch a blower rant anyway --- he's quite the crusty old curmudgeon these days

:punch:

hambon4lif
07-16-2013, 01:58 PM
There's quite a few bands I'm looking forward to seeing.
I just have to catch LoveHammers set to see if they're as cool as their name.
Saw Sevendust a few years back and thought they were badass.
Of all the shows that I've been to over the years, I've never seen Anthrax live, so that's gonna be fuckin' awesome.
Ratt w/ Cavazo should be a cool set...

The whole thing kicks off tomorrow afternoon, and I'm fuckin' stoked!! I probably won't get any sleep tonight at all.

hambon4lif
07-16-2013, 02:04 PM
And it goes without saying, but I hope Van Halen go out there and kick everyone's ass!
Hopefully between all the other bands, and the size of the crowd, they'll bring their A-game.

PETE'S BROTHER
07-16-2013, 02:05 PM
There's quite a few bands I'm looking forward to seeing.
I just have to catch LoveHammers set to see if they're as cool as their name.
Saw Sevendust a few years back and thought they were badass.
Of all the shows that I've been to over the years, I've never seen Anthrax live, so that's gonna be fuckin' awesome.
Ratt w/ Cavazo should be a cool set...

The whole thing kicks off tomorrow afternoon, and I'm fuckin' stoked!! I probably won't get any sleep tonight at all.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Db95 oyhSd5ls&ei=WovlUZzhJcKjiAKS0YCoDQ&usg=AFQjCNFeK7zLFzD1X8mgEztZbE-NRtG03w&bvm=bv.49405654,d.cGE

TJMKID
07-16-2013, 02:07 PM
And it goes without saying, but I hope Van Halen go out there and kick everyone's ass!
Hopefully between all the other bands, and the size of the crowd, they'll bring their A-game.

How many people are expected when VH takes the stage?

hambon4lif
07-16-2013, 02:13 PM
How many people are expected when VH takes the stage?There are still tickets out there, but by the time VH hit the stage there should be somewhere between 70,000-80,000 people. Maybe more.

TJMKID
07-16-2013, 02:21 PM
There are still tickets out there, but by the time VH hit the stage there should be somewhere between 70,000-80,000 people. Maybe more.

Cripes --- are there still reserve seats?

I don't feel like standing in the lawn with a bunch of drunk kids (not that fun when one is 42 yrs. old).

PETE'S BROTHER
07-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Cripes --- are there still reserve seats?

I don't feel like standing in the lawn with a bunch of drunk kids (not that fun when one is 42 yrs. old).

bring a chair and a coupla doobies, you'll be fine. maybe a bottle of water or 20. :baaa:

fraroc
07-16-2013, 02:29 PM
There are still tickets out there, but by the time VH hit the stage there should be somewhere between 70,000-80,000 people. Maybe more.

That is still fucking amazing. Nowadays, old classic rock bands are lucky if they are able to play at 8,000-11,000 arenas and the fact that VH can attract nigh-100,000 people is goddamn impressive.

And new rock bands with a classic sound are lucky if they're able to put on a concert at all...

TJMKID
07-16-2013, 02:35 PM
bring a chair and a coupla doobies, you'll be fine. maybe a bottle of water or 20. :baaa:

I'm assuming BYOB is allowed? I got a small cooler with handle that holds a 6-pack of Coronas quite nicely.

I sure as hell ain't drinking water at a rock show!

katina
07-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Van Halen closing this mega Festival will be a fantastic summer party, I wish all RA members that will be at this Saturday show a unforgettable kickass time :killer:

PETE'S BROTHER
07-16-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm assuming BYOB is allowed? I got a small cooler with handle that holds a 6-pack of Coronas quite nicely.

I sure as hell ain't drinking water at a rock show!

just stay hydrated

hambon4lif
07-16-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm assuming BYOB is allowed? Bud Light is one of the sponsors, so they'll naturally have a few tents set up. So probably not.
Even if it isn't, alot of people are bringing their own anyway, plus all the folks who have their own campground will show up stocked, I don't see how they're going to possibly enforce it.

I'm not spending 10 fuckin' dollars for a cup of beer, I'll tell ya' that much.:cool1:

mug
07-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Should be16oz cans for about 8. Buy a 32-0z mug promo cup filled for 12-13 then get fills for 9.It works something like that. No carry ins. No tailgating.
There are bands in the tents.I'm talkin HUGE TENTS- 2- COULD HOLD 5000 OR MORE. I do have a xtra tic my buddy backed out last min
work calls. So anybody want to sit reserved for the day let me know sec g row 23. Free tic to . No money needed.

mug
07-16-2013, 05:20 PM
You can not enter campgrounds unless you are one.

PETE'S BROTHER
07-16-2013, 05:23 PM
I do have a xtra tic my buddy backed out last min
work calls. So anybody want to sit reserved for the day let me know sec g row 23. Free tic to . No money needed.

goddammit :pullinghair:

mug
07-16-2013, 05:26 PM
The headline country shows there avg,30-35 k.I can see vh getting 45 -60k. There is rock fest in cadott also same time.20 ann, year
they have Kiss,Crue among others so might cut in to attd.

Sensible Shoes
07-16-2013, 05:48 PM
I am sooooo bummed I can't go to this and I really fear it may be the last ever. And the opportunity to meet more list members.

More wine please.

Sent from my LG-P505 using Tapatalk 2

FORD
07-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Bud Light is one of the sponsors, so they'll naturally have a few tents set up. So probably not.
Even if it isn't, alot of people are bringing their own anyway, plus all the folks who have their own campground will show up stocked, I don't see how they're going to possibly enforce it.

I'm not spending 10 fuckin' dollars for a cup of beer, I'll tell ya' that much.:cool1:

10 bucks for a beer would be bad enough.... 10 bucks for a cup of pisswater that wouldn't even get you drunk is absolutely unconscionable :gulp:

TJMKID
07-16-2013, 10:55 PM
10 bucks for a cup of pisswater that wouldn't even get you drunk is absolutely unconscionable :gulp:

Yeah, the "beer refills for $9.00" is definitely water-down foam. Just like the "cheese" on my $12.00 tray of nachos at the last VH show I was at was actually cheese substitute. Gotta squeeze every penny of profit out of us suckers.

Fuck it --- I'll drink warm shit out of a can and bring my own ice because at least I know it aint tampered with.

:beers8:

mug
07-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Acticle in the paper says attd, last year all 4 days was 90k. This year looking at 100k all 4 days combined.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-17-2013, 08:24 AM
http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20130716/APC0502/307160345/?nclick_check=1

Van Halen leads Rock USA lineup
Jul. 16, 2013
Written by
Jessica Opoien
Gannett Wisconsin Media

OSHKOSH — Rock USA makes its return this week, adding a fourth day to its lineup for the first time in its three-year run.

Dan Liebhauser, promoter of Rock USA and its sister festival, Country USA, said having a fourth day on the schedule is expected to push attendance beyond 100,000 people this year. Last year, nearly 90,000 people attended the festival, and in its first year, about 70,000 people attended the three-day event.

“It’s definitely exciting,” Liebhauser said. “We’ve got a talent budget on the four-day Rock USA event this year that rivals our five-day country event, and that’s an entertainment budget of rock stars totaling roughly $2 million.”

The event’s major headliner is Van Halen, who will close out the festival with a show at 10:30 p.m. Saturday. Avenged Sevenfold will headline tonight’s lineup, with Twisted Sister headlining Thursday night and Godsmack on Friday night.

Other highlights include bands spanning the decades including Saliva, Anthrax, Great White, Queensryche, Chevelle and Ratt.

“We’re really proud of the broad brushstroke of talent we’ve put together this year,” Leibhauser said.

With a heat wave forecasted to send temperatures in the high 80s and low 90s over the next several days, the festival grounds will be well staffed with medical personnel and emergency responders, Liebhauser said. However, his advice to festival attendees is to take extra precautions to avoid needing those services in the first place.

“We’ve got some very good emergency backup,” Liebhauser said. “I think the most important thing when we get hot weather coming in like this, we ask our fans to just play it smart. Be smart, have a great time, stay hydrated. You’ll stay away from the medical services that way.”

Ashley Alcantara and David Newling were shielded from the sun while they set up their vendor tent for Leon Leather, a Florida company that sells belts, boots and other leather goods at Rock USA, Country USA and other festivals and fairs throughout the country.

Alcantara said he thinks Rock USA has become a pretty big event.

“I think everyone kind of knows about it,” Alcantara said.

Gates open for Rock USA at 2:30 p.m. today. The first performance is Spiritual Plague at 2:45 p.m.

— Jessica Opoien writes for the Oshkosh Northwestern.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Accompanying video....

<object id="flashObj" width="480" height="270" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="omnitureAccountID=gpaper190,gntbcstglobal&pageContentCategory=OSH&pageContentSubcategory=OSH0101&marketName=Oshkosh:thenorthwestern&revSciSeg=&revSciZip=&revSciAge=&revSciGender=&division=newspaper&SSTSCode=&videoId=2549495086001&playerID=1659454187001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAACbynSxE~,c11h0yYg8-HlVyVoWGU0ePoHI-C8AZvQ&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="omnitureAccountID=gpaper190,gntbcstglobal&pageContentCategory=OSH&pageContentSubcategory=OSH0101&marketName=Oshkosh:thenorthwestern&revSciSeg=&revSciZip=&revSciAge=&revSciGender=&division=newspaper&SSTSCode=&videoId=2549495086001&playerID=1659454187001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAACbynSxE~,c11h0yYg8-HlVyVoWGU0ePoHI-C8AZvQ&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

mug
07-17-2013, 09:36 PM
It's getting hotter.High of 81 and sunny.

Girth
07-17-2013, 09:54 PM
It should be beautiful for VH- this heat wave is suppose to break late Friday/early Saturday. You will be sweating your ass of to Twisted Sister though...

Dan
07-18-2013, 05:54 AM
To All Of The People Going,Have a Great Time and Send Us Lots Of Youtubes and Photos:D

Va Beach VH Fan
07-18-2013, 07:33 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130718/GPG0502/307180159/Van-Halen-has-traveled-rockin-rocky-road?nclick_check=1

Van Halen has traveled a rockin', rocky road
Jul. 17, 2013 8:30 PM
Written by
Mike Thiel
Gannett Wisconsin Media

Bring on the icons.

In typical fashion, the closing night of Rock USA at Ford Festival Park in Oshkosh will feature a performance by one of rock’s greatest legends: Van Halen. Following in the footsteps of 2011’s Saturday night headliner KISS and 2012’s Saturday night headliner Kid Rock, Van Halen will carry the capstone torch for Rock USA in 2013.

Though lineup changes have been common for the oft-dysfunctional Van Halen through the years, the current tour brings back the more classic cast of David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen and Wolfgang Van Halen (who replaced original bassist Michael Anthony). Known for their influence in the late ’70s and ’80s, Van Halen reached superstardom with the release of “1984” (released in 1983) with hits such as “Hot For Teacher,” “Panama” and “Jump.” The Roth-fronted album led to what would be decades of Van Halen fame, whether he was in the band or not (Sammy Hagar or Gary Cherone, anyone?).

Nonetheless, to celebrate Van Halen’s greatness (and turbulence) over the past 35 years, here are 10 memorable moments in its history.

1. The record deal

Van Halen signed with Warner Bros in 1978 and released their eponymous debut album, which featured one of their early hits, “Runnin’ With the Devil.” Within six months of the release, “Van Halen” went platinum behind Eddie Van Halen’s revolutionary guitar playing and David Lee Roth’s antics. And so the story begins.

2. Eddie Van Halen solos on "Beat It"

Michael Jackson’s mid-’80s smash “Beat It” had a little help from guitar virtuoso Eddie Van Halen. Van Halen cut the song’s famous guitar solo as a favor to producer Quincy Jones. It took 30 minutes to record.

3. A No. 1 hit

Van Halen’s “1984” album produced hits such as “Hot For Teacher” and “Panama,” but none more successful than their first No. 1 hit, “Jump.” The synthesizer-led rock jam blended pop and arena rock and launched Van Halen into a more mainstream light. The hits from that album became staples in the early days of MTV.

4. Roth is a just a solo gigolo

In the mid-’80s, tension between Van Halen members led to David Lee Roth’s departure from the band. Testing non-Van Halen waters, Roth released his solo EP, “Crazy from the Heat,” in 1985. It contained two remakes: the Beach Boys’ “California Girls” and Louis Prima’s “I’m Just a Gigolo/I Ain’t Got Nobody.” Both became hits for Roth.

5. Blonde out, Red in

A Roth-less Van Halen refused to crumble, especially after the success the band had with “1984.” Instead of weeping over the loss of Roth, Van Halen recruited Red Rocker Sammy Hagar as their new frontman. Van Halen (or as many called it, Van Hagar) went on to have incredible commercial success with their albums, including 1986’s “5150” and 1991’s “For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.” The band had numerous hits with Hagar including “Why Can’t This Be Love,” “Finish What Ya Started” and “Love Walks In.”

6. Good run, Sammy

After much success with Van Halen, Hagar departed from the band in the mid-’90s. In a Gannett Wisconsin Media interview last year, Hagar shared one of his favorite dysfunctional moments with the group.

“The one beautiful dysfunction in Van Halen is that Ed and Al, the two brothers, fight like cats and dogs,” Hagar said. “Those two guys, you walk into the studio and they’re going at it and you come in and you start trying to figure out what they’re fighting about. Then you find out and you get in the middle of it and next thing you know, they team up and turn on you and you’re like, whoa, hold on here.’’ (Laughs)

Hagar reunited with Van Halen in the early Millennium, but for a much shorter stint.

7. The Third Singer

In 1996, Van Halen watched Hagar walk away from the band, but then reunited with Roth, only to see Diamond Dave leave again. This led to Van Halen picking up its third, and lowest-profile singer, Gary Cherone, formerly of Extreme. Cherone didn’t last long. He split after 1998’s “Van Halen III” only went gold, a dismal performance by Van Halen standards.

8. 10 million albums sold

In 1999, Van Halen’s famed “1984” album received diamond certification from the RIAA for 10 million copies sold. This has nothing to do with Roth’s nickname of Diamond Dave. But it does have a nice ring to it.

9. New lineup, sort of

In 2007, the same year Van Halen was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the band announced they were reuniting with Roth for a world tour. This brought the original Van Halen crew back together with one exception. Eddie Van Halen’s son, Wolfgang, would replace original Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony. Good thing there’s not a lead singer in the family or Roth also might have been out of luck.

10. A different kind of truth

Van Halen went back in the studio with Roth to create 2012’s “A Different Kind of Truth.” The album hit the rock charts in favorable fashion and led to a hyped tour, but it derailed as the band postponed and then canceled some of the summer and fall dates, including one in Green Bay.

— Mike Thiel writes for Post-Crescent Media of Appleton.

jhale667
07-18-2013, 08:15 AM
"In 1996, Van Halen watched Hagar walk away from the band, but then reunited with Roth, only to see Diamond Dave leave again. " - That's only slightly revisionist...

Von Halen
07-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Gentlemen, (I use the term loosly)

I regret to inform, I will not be attending the VH show this weekend. One of the people I was coming to the show with decided to walk into his bathroom and do a James Gandolfini. I will be in Manitowoc this weekend, but it will be to lay yet another person to rest.