PDA

View Full Version : Never bring a face to a harpoon fight!

Full Bug
06-24-2004, 11:56 PM
Never bring a face to a harpoon fight!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man acquitted of harpoon attack

A man accused of firing a harpoon into a teenager's face has been cleared of all charges against him after a jury accepted he acted in self-defence.
Nathan Kirk was cleared of unlawfully possessing an offensive weapon after earlier being acquitted of one charge of grievous bodily harm with intent.

The 25-year-old, from Hungerford, Berkshire, was also cleared of grievous bodily harm, on Thursday.

The harpoon hit Matthew Hawkins in the face, causing him to lose an eye.

Mr Kirk himself had been stabbed close to his heart during the fight in March 2003.

The jury at Reading Crown Court decided that the gun had been fired by Mr Kirk accidentally during the fight.

He brought out the scuba gun when a gang, including the 15-year-old, arrived at his girlfriend's flat in Thatcham following an argument over vandalism to a telephone box.

During the brawl, it was fired and became lodged in the teenager's face.

'Overjoyed and relieved'

Hawkins' injury was so serious that he lost an eye and paramedics had to use bolt-cutters to cut off part of the three-pronged harpoon.

Mr Kirk left the court without commenting to reporters waiting outside, but a statement read by his solicitor Georgina Murray said: "He is overjoyed and relieved that this traumatic case has now come to an end.

"He now wants to put the past 14 months behind him and get his life back on track.

"He is eternally grateful to his mother, father, family and friends for their support during the most difficult period of his life so far."

The court was told how Mr Kirk opened the door of the flat to Hawkins, his half-brother Barry Lovegrove and his sister's boyfriend, Derek Watkins.

Gang charged

The trio punched and kicked him and stabbed him close to the heart.

He retreated inside and brought out the harpoon to frighten the gang, according to Michael Topolski QC, defending.

Hawkins, Lovegrove and Watkins were also charged in connection with the fight and tried at Reading Crown Court earlier this year.

Watkins, 37, of Thatcham, was discharged on all counts.

Hawkins was discharged on two counts but convicted of affray and given a community punishment and rehabilitation order.

Lovegrove, 28, of Thatcham, was jailed for 18 months for affray.

Full Bug
06-24-2004, 11:57 PM
I feel bad for the guy - he's got to go around the rest of his life with the nickname "shishkaface".....

Panamark
06-25-2004, 07:07 AM
Fuck... I chased a dude with a speargun once, but a Harpoon ??? Fuck thats excessively impresive !!

Full Bug
06-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Too bad we couldnt get the guy to harpoon that fat whale Sammy.....

Panamark
06-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Patience, he will beach himself soon enough.

Full Bug
06-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Patience, he will beach himself soon enough.
Yeah, and then the sheep will flock to his blowhole.....

Panamark
06-25-2004, 08:57 AM
Good, then they can suck the escaping gases from the rotting carcass !

Panamark
06-25-2004, 08:58 AM
No # 2

Its a long way to the top when you wanna Rock 'n' Roll

Sarge
06-28-2004, 02:15 AM
That would be an awesome avatar for someone..

Eyes of the Night
06-30-2004, 06:46 AM
That whole story is a trip Bug ... thanks broham ... you crazy canucks!

:gulp:

Full Bug
06-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Sarge
That would be an awesome avatar for someone..
I was thinking the same thing, surprised someone hasnt grabbed it.....

Full Bug
07-01-2004, 02:12 PM
A shame that didnt happen to Hitch.....

Viking
07-01-2004, 07:58 PM
'Watkins, 37, of Thatcham,' wasn't the only thing 'discharged'. :D :killer:

JCOOK
07-07-2004, 04:01 PM
HARPOONS DONT'MAME PEOPLE--- PEOPLE MAME PEOPLE

Full Bug
07-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK
HARPOONS DONT'MAME PEOPLE--- PEOPLE MAME PEOPLE
Thanx for that info JCOOK, now that we know that I'm sure it will never happen again.....:rolleyes: :D

JCOOK
07-08-2004, 05:24 PM
JUST TRYIN TO HELP. I WONDER IF THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE RUNNING AROUND WITH HARPOONS? YIKES!

Dr. Love
07-08-2004, 07:27 PM
mame? I didn't know harpoons knew anything about emulation. :confused:

Full Bug
07-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by JCOOK
JUST TRYIN TO HELP. I WONDER IF THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE RUNNING AROUND WITH HARPOONS? YIKES!
You might want to take the cap lock off your keyboard dude.....Or is it your way of yelling to us all?:rolleyes:

JCOOK
07-09-2004, 07:26 AM
thankz for the tip is that better