PDA

View Full Version : Why does everything on TV suck?

envy_me
03-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Been home watching TV whole day as I have a cold. Are there ANY good shows out there?

The worse one must be How I Met Your Mother. I HATE those people. They are like 35 years old and all they think about is dating. Isn't there anything else in life. Does anyone even watch that??
I even saw that the most pathetic charachter in that show even released a book :doh:

I also can't stand Family Guy. It's not funny and they are ripping off The Simpsons and Married With Children. And the voices are the most annoying. Like the voice of the mother. And the baby. God I HATE them!

Oh, god, Top Model. WHO watches that??? Season after season, country after country...

No, Kristy didn't reincarnate as me. There are shows that I love, they just aren't shown on TV anymore.

fraroc
03-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Bobs Burgers is a surprisingly funny show and I love it a lot.

At least Jersey Shore is gone.

envy_me
03-17-2013, 02:13 PM

At least Jersey Shore is gone.

I don't have MTV anymore, but it was just tragic to watch while I had it. Teen mom? 16 and pregnant???
But might as well show that considering that alternative is music by Rihanna and Beyonce. It's like pest or cholera, really.

We don't have Bobs Burgers. What's that?

Right now I'm watching Gordon Ramsey cut a potato... That's rock'n roll....

sadaist
03-17-2013, 02:39 PM

The first few times I watched it the kids and wife irritated me so much that I couldn't watch it. I wanted to smash them through my TV. But oddly after a while I found myself wanting to see more.

envy_me
03-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Sunday mornings they show Gilmore Girls. I can't stand them. Why can't they shut up, both of them.

That show is so cheesy that it makes me suspect a greater evil behind it. You know the episode where Rory breaks up with Dean? If you play it backwards you'll hear satanistic messages.

Not really. I made that up.

FORD
03-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Don't know why they sped this up, probably to keep the corporate censor nazis away, but it's still hilarious, even tough they sound like they are on helium......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N49KFQm8PSg

envy_me
03-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Gordon Ramsey just made this. How the hell do you eat it? With a spoon? Or?

http://www.channel4.com/media/images/Channel4/4Food/ontv/gordons-ultimate-cookery-course/episodes%2016-20/millefeuille_A0.jpg

envy_me
03-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Don't know why they sped this up, probably to keep the corporate censor nazis away, but it's still hilarious, even tough they sound like they are on helium......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N49KFQm8PSg

Have you ever watched Absolutely Fabulous? It's hillarious :biggrin: It's about these two older women, who are drinking and acting immature, lol. Well, it's not funny when I tell it, you have to watch it. I kinda see myself in them, lol.

vandeleur
03-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Breaking bad ? The walking dead ? The big bang theory ? And The following ?

All pretty good tv .

Breaking bad might just be the best thing ever to hit tv... and I blame the army for turning me on to it :D

DONNIEP
03-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Everything Vandy said, plus Archer (which is the most awesome show ever created), Southpark, and a bunch of web only shows produced on Hulu (which sucks but get it anyway) and netflix (which sucks less). For example Booth At The End, and House Of Cards. Not only can you watch just about everything on the air today but you can watch almost every show you love that was on TV in the past. Plus there's enough movies to watch until the end of time.

envy_me
03-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Breaking bad ? The walking dead ? The big bang theory ? And The following ?

All pretty good tv .

Breaking bad might just be the best thing ever to hit tv... and I blame the army for turning me on to it :D

I have only seen The big bang theory of all those you mentioned. I just don't get it, lol.

Maybe it's not the TV that's the problem, maybe it's me :D

envy_me
03-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Everything Vandy said, plus Archer (which is the most awesome show ever created), Southpark, and a bunch of web only shows produced on Hulu (which sucks but get it anyway) and netflix (which sucks less). For example Booth At The End, and House Of Cards. Not only can you watch just about everything on the air today but you can watch almost every show you love that was on TV in the past. Plus there's enough movies to watch until the end of time.

I'm not that technical. I have NO idea how to watch stuff on internet. I have some shows home on DVD that I like. Have you ever seen Sledge Hammer? Lol, one of my favorites :biggrin:

vandeleur
03-17-2013, 04:25 PM
There is a show called banshee ?? I think its that some guy takes over as the sheriff of some town .
Every one at work seems to think its canny.

envy_me
03-17-2013, 04:28 PM
This is my kind of humor. It's a parody of all those cop movies from the 80ies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWK2kR9dBOE

Dave's Bitch
03-17-2013, 05:05 PM
There was an awesome series i caught recently called Black Mirror.It is kind of dystopian future stuff but it is good,well though out and well acted TV with interesting plots.A refreshing break from generic sitcom and reality TV shyte that is spit out all the time

Northern Girl
03-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Are there ANY good shows out there?

Very little. It's all gone to hell.

Even channels like The Learning Channel are nothing but reality show crap like Honey Boo Boo. I think they just go by TLC now, because you sure can't learn anything anymore. Same with Discovery and History channels.

I didn't realize you got so much American TV over there.

envy_me
03-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Very little. It's all gone to hell.

Even channels like The Learning Channel are nothing but reality show crap like Honey Boo Boo. I think they just go by TLC now, because you sure can't learn anything anymore. Same with Discovery and History channels.

I didn't realize you got so much American TV over there.

Oh yeah, we get way too much American TV. I wish there was more diversity.

I used to love Discovery Channel when they had science and history. Now it's just cars, engines, buildings and other boring stuff. There are Discovery Channels that specialize on for example science and history, but we don't get them. They should have just kept the old Discovery the way it was. It used to be perfect.

Dave's Bitch
03-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Do you get the crime channel Envy?.Usually something watchable on if you are into that sort of thing

envy_me
03-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Do you get the crime channel Envy?.Usually something watchable on if you are into that sort of thing

No, I don't :-( I LOVE crime. Thursday nights used to be crime nights on the old Discovery :-( With autopsies and classic cases :-(

Dave's Bitch
03-17-2013, 06:19 PM
No, I don't :-( I LOVE crime. Thursday nights used to be crime nights on the old Discovery :-( With autopsies and classic cases :-(

Ah that sucks.I love the crime channel.The only problem is i have read about a good portion of the stuff they show.I am into crime too :)

envy_me
03-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Ah that sucks.I love the crime channel.The only problem is i have read about a good portion of the stuff they show.I am into crime too :)

Really? Have you read anything by Ann Rule? I can REALLY recommend her. She is the BEST true crime writer there is.

Dave's Bitch
03-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Really? Have you read anything by Ann Rule? I can REALLY recommend her. She is the BEST true crime writer there is.

I will have to check her out.Without sounding crazy i am into serial killers,I love the psychology behind it all

envy_me
03-17-2013, 06:28 PM
I will have to check her out.Without sounding crazy i am into serial killers,I love the psychology behind it all

OMG!!! Me too. For example bank robbers aren't interesting to me at all. Greed is simple to understand.

Read The stranger beside me. It's her book about Ted Bundy. It was SO good, I read it really slowly cause I didn't want it to end. She is fantastic.

Dave's Bitch
03-17-2013, 06:36 PM
OMG!!! Me too. For example bank robbers aren't interesting to me at all. Greed is simple to understand.

Read The stranger beside me. It's her book about Ted Bundy. It was SO good, I read it really slowly cause I didn't want it to end. She is fantastic.

They have it for next to nothing on amazon and i am not reading anything right now so i may pick it up tomorrow.I am exactly the same,Bank robbers and drug dealers an things like that don't interest me at all.

Headly1984
03-17-2013, 06:39 PM
I like reality TV

Amazing Race, Wicked Tuna, Auction hunters? the auction show with the big guy Ton, I think Wipeout is hysterical - and I will watch survivor too sometimes - American restoration was good, I miss sons of guns and Top Shot - and the Wheeler dealers where they fix cars and try to sell them for a profit is a good show

Comedy wise Simpsons is good , Archer can be great or not so good - 30 rock had it's moments, south park & man do I miss My Name is Earl - that & Chappelle show were 1st rate

Crime shows- NCIS, SVU & I hate to admit it but I like Castle lol!!, Masterpiece Theater has Inspector Lewis and Wallander, even a Sherlock Holmes - oh, and the new show Elementary is even ok & the GF got me into Criminal Minds - but that show is a bit gruesome sometimes

WE use the DVR or on demand for tv - rarely will I watch anything on ts scheduled time

Dave's Bitch
03-17-2013, 06:46 PM
oh, and the new show Elementary is even ok

I did not care for Elementary.You should look up the newer British version called Sherlock.It has Martin Freeman and the guy they have playing Holmes is just brilliant

Angel
03-17-2013, 06:47 PM

Fuck TV. GUNDERSON!!!!!

FORD
03-17-2013, 06:48 PM
I'll never watch "Amazing Race" again after the way they screwed James Lomenzo..

Fucking annoying Hindu bitches stole money from him and his partner on camera, and they let them get away with it. There's competition and then there's crime. And theft should have meant immediate disqualification for those two cows.

Angel
03-17-2013, 06:49 PM

You'll love Ann Rule then.

Headly1984
03-17-2013, 06:54 PM
I still like Amazing Race even tho yes that was wrong - I would like to be on the amazing race - that would be a hoot !

.. as for sherlock - yeah I mistakenly called it sherlock holmes in my other post but that is one we like on BBC America

Nitro Express
03-17-2013, 06:57 PM
One of my neighbors used to be a writer for the television industry in LA. He told me that the current television shows are geared for an eleven year old mentality. He said some of the older television shows like Star Trek actually had well written plots usually with a moral message in it. Now it's just garbage and disfunction. He refuses to have a television in his home now.

chefcraig
03-17-2013, 07:04 PM
I did not care for Elementary.You should look up the newer British version called Sherlock.It has Martin Freeman and the guy they have playing Holmes is just brilliant

Thank you! I've been turning people onto this show since it premiered here a couple of years ago, and it's absolutely brilliant. The guy that played "Jim" Moriarty was the best villain to come along since Heath Ledger's Joker. The writing is terrific, with the interplay between Holmes and Watson astounding, not to mention downright funny as shit at times.

Dr. John Watson: I'm seriously fighting an impulse to steal an ashtray.
[Sherlock laughs]
Dr. John Watson: What are we doing here, Sherlock? No, seriously, what?
Sherlock Holmes: I don't know.
Dr. John Watson: Here to see the queen?
[Mycroft walks in]
Sherlock Holmes: Oh, Apparently yes.

Dr. John Watson: Can you please not do this this time?
Sherlock Holmes: Do what?
Dr. John Watson: You being all mysterious with your - cheekbones. And turning your coat collar up so you look cool.
Sherlock Holmes: I don't do that.
Dr. John Watson: Yeah, you do.

And by the way, the guy playing Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) has the featured role as the bad guy in the upcoming [I]Star Trek sequel.

DONNIEP
03-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Fuck TV. GUNDERSON!!!!!

Damn straight!!!

Headly1984
03-17-2013, 07:05 PM
My Name is Earl had some good moral tales wrapped in comedy

Archer is just crass guy humor - either ya like crass or ya dont

Reality TV is mostly unscripted ..

I cannot stand to watch sitcoms - I really do not care for the 2 1/1 men or big bang, mike & molly - modern family - all those sitcoms are just lame

- I did catch an episode of Hot in Cleveland with Valerie Bertonelli and it was funny and boy she looks good for 52 .. she lost the pudge from he EVH wife days - but I caught 1 episode so I dont know if it was dumb luck it was a good one

DONNIEP
03-17-2013, 07:06 PM
One of my neighbors used to be a writer for the television industry in LA.

Please tell me he wrote for Magnum PI...

Nitro Express
03-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Oh yeah, we get way too much American TV. I wish there was more diversity.

I used to love Discovery Channel when they had science and history. Now it's just cars, engines, buildings and other boring stuff. There are Discovery Channels that specialize on for example science and history, but we don't get them. They should have just kept the old Discovery the way it was. It used to be perfect.

It's about ratings and money. Discovery found that reality shows were far less expensive to produce than documentaries on science and history and a dumbed down public watches that crap and they can sell advertising. It's all about maximizing profit and not about informing or educating anyone. Frankly the conglomerates who own such cable channels have no interest in educating the public. They own the politicians now and they have a monopoly on the media. They have us right where they want us and an educated and informed public would figure things out and demand that the monopolies be broken up so a few people wouldn't own everything and control the politics. Like ancient Rome they want lots of dumbed down entertainment to distract the masses of idiots from what was really going on. In other words we have endless choices of non-important things like jelly bean flavors and very few choices on things that matter like political parties, insurance companies, media companies ect...

Dave's Bitch
03-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Thank you! I've been turning people onto this show since it premiered here a couple of years ago, and it's absolutely brilliant. The guy that played "Jim" Moriarty was the best villain to come along since Heath Ledger's Joker. The writing is terrific, with the interplay between Holmes and Watson astounding, not to mention downright funny as shit at times.

Dr. John Watson: I'm seriously fighting an impulse to steal an ashtray.
[Sherlock laughs]
Dr. John Watson: What are we doing here, Sherlock? No, seriously, what?
Sherlock Holmes: I don't know.
Dr. John Watson: Here to see the queen?
[Mycroft walks in]
Sherlock Holmes: Oh, Apparently yes.

Dr. John Watson: Can you please not do this this time?
Sherlock Holmes: Do what?
Dr. John Watson: You being all mysterious with your - cheekbones. And turning your coat collar up so you look cool.
Sherlock Holmes: I don't do that.
Dr. John Watson: Yeah, you do.

And by the way, the guy playing Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) has the featured role as the bad guy in the upcoming [I]Star Trek sequel.

The guy who played Moriarty was fantastic.I liked the guy who played Mycroft too.I have seen them all a few times,I am sure i read there will be a new series this year some time.I am going to have to watch them again now

Nitro Express
03-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Please tell me he wrote for Magnum PI...

Nope. But I did watch some Magnum PI on Netflix the other day. The writing actually wasn't too bad on the episode I watched.

DONNIEP
03-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Nope. But I did watch some Magnum PI on Netflix the other day. The writing actually wasn't too bad on the episode I watched.

Best scene ever...

http://youtu.be/vXa9wipv6j8

Headly1984
It's about ratings and money. Discovery found that reality shows were far less expensive to produce than documentaries on science and history and a dumbed down public watches that crap and they can sell advertising. It's all about maximizing profit and not about informing or educating anyone. Frankly the conglomerates who own such cable channels have no interest in educating the public. They own the politicians now and they have a monopoly on the media. They have us right where they want us and an educated and informed public would figure things out and demand that the monopolies be broken up so a few people wouldn't own everything and control the politics. Like ancient Rome they want lots of dumbed down entertainment to distract the masses of idiots from what was really going on. In other words we have endless choices of non-important things like jelly bean flavors and very few choices on things that matter like political parties, insurance companies, media companies ect...

Not all reality TV dumbs people down - Wheeler Dealers is actually quite instructional - so too could american restoration / antique roadshow / this old house - even auction hunters, and some of the gun or hunting, fishing shows - ya learn about items,& techniques to do things you might not been aware of

jersey shore or a kardashian thing tv show - that is saturated fat tv - no nutritional content whatsoever

Nitro Express
Gordon Ramsey just made this. How the hell do you eat it? With a spoon? Or?

http://www.channel4.com/media/images/Channel4/4Food/ontv/gordons-ultimate-cookery-course/episodes%2016-20/millefeuille_A0.jpg

Hell if I know. It would be good to smash in someones face and start a food fight with.

chefcraig
03-17-2013, 07:18 PM
The guy who played Moriarty was fantastic.I liked the guy who played Mycroft too.I have seen them all a few times,I am sure i read there will be a new series this year some time.I am going to have to watch them again now

Don't forget, the first order of business will be to explain how Holmes is apparently alive and well after his very public fall to death. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Youtube (as I have), because there are dozens of posts full of theories. Having watched the ending again and again on DVD, I have my own idea, and can not wait to see if I have it right.

Dave's Bitch
03-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Don't forget, the first order of business will be to explain how Holmes is apparently alive and well after his very public fall to death. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Youtube (as I have), because there are dozens of posts full of theories. Having watched the ending again and again on DVD, I have my own idea, and can not wait to see if I have it right.

I know i am looking forward to hearing that one,You will have to share your idea with me because i have no clue.

This news will please you greatly

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-03-13/sherlock-series-3-could-air-at-christmas-says-benedict-cumberbatch

BITEYOASS
03-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Been home watching TV whole day as I have a cold. Are there ANY good shows out there?

The Trailer Park Boys! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfq3c4Cf1Fs

twonabomber
03-17-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm thinking of dumping the dish. Not because TV so much sucks, but because there's not a lot on when I am home and awake. I watch the local news when I get home in the morning, and try to watch something I DVR'd but I usually fall asleep watching it. Takes three hours to watch a one hour show.

Then on Friday and Saturday nights I'm up all night and there isn't shit on at 3 am. So I'll shitcan the dish and save the $100, and watch Survivor on the CBS site or DL it. Fast 'N Loud I can get on the Playstation Store.

DONNIEP
03-17-2013, 09:51 PM
There's only a couple of shows I even watch on cable anymore. If it wasn't for my kid I could do without it. I hope the cable companies have enjoyed sucking us dry for years 'cause they're gonna go the way of video rental stores before too much longer.

FORD
03-17-2013, 10:08 PM
The only reason I do business with the thieving bastards at Comcast at all is because there's simply no other options for decent internet access at all around here. Even the local telephone monopoly only has 1.5 mbps DSL, and that's an overstatement (it was barely faster than dialup when I had it back in the late 90s)

But I stopped subscribing to a TV package several years ago. I still get the local channels, and I download anything else I want to watch, when I want to watch it, and best of all, no commercials.

The only time my lack of cable TV is problematic is for things like March Madness. Oh sure, they will probably stream most (if not all) of the games online, but video streams usually go crappy - which is why I won't pay for Netflix or Hulu Plus.

DONNIEP
03-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Yeah, Time Warner is really the only hi speed Internet option around here. And yes, I do have problems sometimes with streaming shows/movies dropping off. It's almost as bad as my cable service, which sucks balls. The biggest drawback with Hulu + is the damned commercials. And even if you subscribe to both hulu and netflix there's still too much content that's not available.

BITEYOASS
03-17-2013, 10:33 PM

That Mitchell & Webb Look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7aaw4g2tJo

BITEYOASS
03-17-2013, 11:16 PM
I would drop cable tv altogether. But since I'm a rabid team USA fan, I just stick with dropping the premium channels when my savings package from Charter expires.

BITEYOASS
03-17-2013, 11:42 PM

Portlandia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmKRIqnov9g

BITEYOASS
03-17-2013, 11:54 PM
I would recommend "Blue Mountain State," but most people outside the USA wouldn't understand the humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzR9_fCc1Hk

Nitro Express
03-18-2013, 12:48 AM
I would recommend "Blue Mountain State," but most people outside the USA wouldn't understand the humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzR9_fCc1Hk

Pretty much turning the reality of football player personalities up to the absurd. LOL! The only thing missing was who could suck the most beer out of a beer bong.

Seshmeister
03-18-2013, 05:34 AM
That Mitchell & Webb Look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7aaw4g2tJo

I didn't know that was being shown in the US.

My fave sketch...

ashstralia
03-18-2013, 06:20 AM
numb3rwa∩g∞‼

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJDu5D_IXbc

envy_me
03-18-2013, 06:22 AM

Hey, you are from GB, you guys used to have this amazing show called Yes Minister. It was so good!! Have you ever seen it?
it's a political satire. A comedy. It was the favorite TV show of Margaret Tatcher.

One of my favorite quotes about what a politician means when he says:

"'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

And some others :D

"Asking a town hall to slim down its staff is like asking an alcoholic to blow up a distillery."

"Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement."

"The surprising things about academics is not that they have their price, but how low that price is."

"If you are not happy with Minister's decision there is no need to argue him out of it. Accept it warmly, and then suggested he leaves it to you to work out the details."

"The first rule of politics: never believe anything until it's been officially denied."

"If you do not want Cabinet to spend too long discussing something, make it last on the agenda before lunch."

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless."

"The Queen is inseparable from the Church of England. God is an optional extra."

"If people don't know what you're doing, they don't know what you're doing wrong."

How sad that all we have now is crap like How I Met Your Mother :(

envy_me
03-18-2013, 07:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeF_o1Ss1NQ&list=PLBEB5DD4B6E2E6E04

"...to keep the teenagers off the job market and hold down the unemployment figures..." :biggrin:

Seshmeister
03-18-2013, 08:05 AM
There was a followup called Yes Prime Minister as well.

When you watch them the disturbing thing is just how little has changed in the last 25 years. There was one on the pointlessness of the UK having nuclear weapons and every argument was the exact same as today. :)

They did a remake last year of Yes Minister with a new cast and new scripts.

It was ok but not brilliant.

envy_me
03-18-2013, 08:53 AM

When you watch them the disturbing thing is just how little has changed in the last 25 years. There was one on the pointlessness of the UK having nuclear weapons and every argument was the exact same as today. :)

I watched Yes Prime Minister too :D

Haven't seen the remake. Maybe it would just ruin the original for me.

Angel
03-18-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't watch much tv anymore, but I do admit to being a Coronation Street junkie. It's a British soap opera that's been airing since 1960. Real characters and some phenominal actors. Not at all like US soaps...

chefcraig
03-18-2013, 11:49 AM
I know i am looking forward to hearing that one,You will have to share your idea with me because i have no clue.

This news will please you greatly

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-03-13/sherlock-series-3-could-air-at-christmas-says-benedict-cumberbatch

Thanks for the heads-up, and check your PM box. :baaa:

vandeleur
03-18-2013, 12:07 PM
I don't watch much tv anymore, but I do admit to being a Coronation Street junkie. It's a British soap opera that's been airing since 1960. Real characters and some phenominal actors. Not at all like US soaps...

Coronation street is the reason I go to the pub ... Its pavlovian I hear the theme off I go :D

Angel
03-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Coronation street is the reason I go to the pub ... Its pavlovian I hear the theme off I go :D

Rovers Return? ;)

envy_me
03-18-2013, 04:05 PM
We had Coronation Street here for a very short while.

I have been watching Emmerdale since I was like 12. Not regulary all these years, now I only watch if I have a day off.
I perfer english soapoperas over american. Americans are so pretentious, everybody is gorgeous and perfect. I like people who look like humans and act like humans.

To illustrate what I mean:

Here are some people from american shows:

http://images.buddytv.com/articles/taylor-bb2.jpg

http://www.cbs.com/assets/images/content/shows/the_bold_and_the_beautiful/discover_bb_banner.jpg

http://www.nbc.com/days-of-our-lives/images/bio/Kristian_Alfonso.jpg

Here are some people from Emmerdale:

http://www.emmerdale.org/emmerdale/3500/7july2003/07_07_03EMMERDALE2.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2010/7/28/1280329533619/Emmerdale-Shadrach-Dingle-006.jpg

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/Emmerdale-Dingles-rexfeatures_675120e-616x252.jpg

envy_me
03-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Hey, you are from GB, you guys used to have this amazing show called Yes Minister. It was so good!! Have you ever seen it?
it's a political satire. A comedy. It was the favorite TV show of Margaret Tatcher.

One of my favorite quotes about what a politician means when he says:

"'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

And some others :D

"Asking a town hall to slim down its staff is like asking an alcoholic to blow up a distillery."

"Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement."

"The surprising things about academics is not that they have their price, but how low that price is."

"If you are not happy with Minister's decision there is no need to argue him out of it. Accept it warmly, and then suggested he leaves it to you to work out the details."

"The first rule of politics: never believe anything until it's been officially denied."

"If you do not want Cabinet to spend too long discussing something, make it last on the agenda before lunch."

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless."

"The Queen is inseparable from the Church of England. God is an optional extra."

"If people don't know what you're doing, they don't know what you're doing wrong."

How sad that all we have now is crap like How I Met Your Mother :(

This is still one of the best shows ever :biggrin:

Grant
03-18-2013, 07:39 PM

You mean this one, don't you. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyJh3qKjSMk

The best episode is where they all go to Middle East (Qumran?) and set-up the secret Scotch room to avoid the agonising grumble of 5 hours of orange juice. :biggrin:

I only just saw the Yes Prime Minister stage play at the Opera House few weeks ago. At least it had a bit of cred going being written by it's original creators, Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn. It's sad how the only ones left from that show are Bernard, Sir Arnold, and Sir Frank (Treasury).

Seshmeister
03-18-2013, 08:26 PM

More this one

They extended the stage play you saw into a short series.

Angel
03-18-2013, 08:41 PM

The best episode is where they all go to Middle East (Qumran?) and set-up the secret Scotch room to avoid the agonising grumble of 5 hours of orange juice. :biggrin:

I only just saw the Yes Prime Minister stage play at the Opera House few weeks ago. At least it had a bit of cred going being written by it's original creators, Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn. It's sad how the only ones left from that show are Bernard, Sir Arnold, and Sir Frank (Treasury).

Hmmm. Must check out that script! Our blue hairs love British comedies.

Grant
03-18-2013, 08:59 PM
They extended the stage play you saw into a short series.

Unfortunately for us, we had some home-grown actors playing the roles (with English accents). The PM was more Basil Fawlty than Jim Hacker. And Sir Humphrey, sadly, embodied none of the smooth wit. A fine proper British cast would've done it far more justice.

Grant
03-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Hmmm. Must check out that script! Our blue hairs love British comedies.

If you love political satire, then it's a must!

You'll probably also like another British comedy show called DOC MARTIN with Martin Clunes, if you haven't already seen it. The premise being an Asperger's top-London surgeon develops a fear of a blood and therefore retrains as a GP, and then takes a post at a cosy seaside town where the folk are all laid back, and so he just manages to piss them all off (including patients in the rooms) with his offhanded manner. Oh, and there is a romantic chemistry between him and a lovely schoolteacher but who otherwise also finds him unbearable...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgzdzrlA-Y

Headly1984
03-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Well - been watching Dancing with the (supposed)Stars tonight - the g/f likes it - Castle is on afterward, so it is a compromise lol!

Seshmeister
03-18-2013, 10:22 PM
I obviously can't comment on Swedish TV but I completely disagree with the whole premise of this thread.

I think this is an absolute golden age of TV especially all the amazing series coming out of the States at the moment.

There are at least half a dozen that I am repeatedly told are brilliant that I just haven't had time to watch like Wired, Breakin Bad, Dexter and whatever. There is also some good stuff coming from the UK like Sherlock and even some Danish dramas like Borgen that again are getting amazing reviews.

Of course there is a lot of shit around too but nowadays technology allows you to avoid it. In the olden times if you had a couple of hours free to watch TV you would sit down and see what was on. Now you go and watch 2 hours of the stuff you have recorded already or stream it on demand.

envy_me
03-19-2013, 07:19 AM
I obviously can't comment on Swedish TV but I completely disagree with the whole premise of this thread.

I think this is an absolute golden age of TV especially all the amazing series coming out of the States at the moment.

There are at least half a dozen that I am repeatedly told are brilliant that I just haven't had time to watch like Wired, Breakin Bad, Dexter and whatever. There is also some good stuff coming from the UK like Sherlock and even some Danish dramas like Borgen that again are getting amazing reviews.

Of course there is a lot of shit around too but nowadays technology allows you to avoid it. In the olden times if you had a couple of hours free to watch TV you would sit down and see what was on. Now you go and watch 2 hours of the stuff you have recorded already or stream it on demand.

I couldn't disagree more.

I am now talking about daytime tv. For example, right now I have to choose from: Seventh Heaven, Hells Kitchen USA, Stargate, some reruns, X factor US, Real Housewives of Atlanta, Days of Our Lives...

I just caught some Atlanta Housewives. I have never seen such trashy people. Even their names are trashy. Kroy??? Apollo?? What kind of name is Kroy? God they make me sick. Coming up Top Model. I'd rather fuck a sock then watch Top Model. All these reality shows make me sick. Just cause they testify where we are as a society.

I like Mad Men though. It isn't shown that often. And I avoid shows that I have to follow from week to week. Makes me feel trapped and claustrophobic.

I watch TV during the day when I'm sick or tired. So a perfect show for daytime TV is something easy going, that doesn't require too much effort, but at the same time isn't annoying in any way.

envy_me
03-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately for us, we had some home-grown actors playing the roles (with English accents). The PM was more Basil Fawlty than Jim Hacker. And Sir Humphrey, sadly, embodied none of the smooth wit. A fine proper British cast would've done it far more justice.

One of my favorite episodes is the one with the empty hospital :D A new hospital that isn't operational cause by the time all administators were hired, there was no money to hire the medical staff. So bureaucrats keep working running a hospital with no medical staff or patients. :biggrin: "It's one of the best run hospitals in the country" :biggrin:

This is fantastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=x-5zEb1oS9A

envy_me
03-19-2013, 07:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyf97LAjjcY

FORD
03-19-2013, 05:29 PM

There are at least half a dozen that I am repeatedly told are brilliant that I just haven't had time to watch like Wired, Breakin Bad, Dexter and whatever.

"Golden Age" is a bit of a stretch, but the problem is that all of those series you mentioned are cable series. Premium cable in the case of Dexter (which is on Showtime). Network TV is sadly mostly shit.

Of course this matters less than it used to, considering most people have cable or dish, and many of those who don't have other means of getting the programming, whether it's through a "legal" streaming company, or a not-corporation-approved form of downloading. I don't subscribe to either HBO or Showtime, but I never miss an episode of Dexter, Homeland, Real Time with Bill Maher, etc. Or some of the excellent shows on cable networks like USA, AMC, etc. (Haven't got into Breaking Bad yet, but it's on the "short list" for this summer when everything's in reruns.)

Best show on regular US cable right now? My vote goes to "Justified" on the FX channel.

Nickdfresh
03-19-2013, 07:14 PM
"Golden Age" is a bit of a stretch, but the problem is that all of those series you mentioned are cable series. Premium cable in the case of Dexter (which is on Showtime). Network TV is sadly mostly shit.

Of course this matters less than it used to, considering most people have cable or dish, and many of those who don't have other means of getting the programming, whether it's through a "legal" streaming company, or a not-corporation-approved form of downloading. I don't subscribe to either HBO or Showtime, but I never miss an episode of Dexter, Homeland, Real Time with Bill Maher, etc. Or some of the excellent shows on cable networks like USA, AMC, etc. (Haven't got into Breaking Bad yet, but it's on the "short list" for this summer when everything's in reruns.)

Best show on regular US cable right now? My vote goes to "Justified" on the FX channel.

I'd add The Walking Dead, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and Californication. The above are all series that the pussies who run the networks are afraid to actually take a chance on. So they stick to the safe, boring cop show retreads and with shit "reality" TV shows...

Grant
03-19-2013, 10:00 PM
One of my favorite episodes is the one with the empty hospital :D A new hospital that isn't operational cause by the time all administators were hired, there was no money to hire the medical staff. So bureaucrats keep working running a hospital with no medical staff or patients. :biggrin: "It's one of the best run hospitals in the country" :biggrin:

"Minister, that hospital is for sick British; not healthy foreigners!"

envy_me
03-20-2013, 06:19 AM
This is so embaressing to admit but there is one of the newer sitcoms that I actually like. It's New Advantures Of Old Christine. Sure, I know, it's predictable and silly but she is so real. I can really see myself in her. He likes to drink, she fails at everything, she is never the bigger person. I like it even though I know it's bad.

It's kind of a lame version of Absolutely Fabulous.

Angel
03-20-2013, 08:59 AM
This is so embaressing

Why be embarrassed? Everyone has their own guilty pleasures in life.

envy_me
03-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Why be embarrassed? Everyone has their own guilty pleasures in life.

Right... I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I don't drink too much. I can enjoy Christine without feeling guilty :D

Northern Girl
03-20-2013, 08:33 PM
This is so embaressing to admit but there is one of the newer sitcoms that I actually like. It's New Advantures Of Old Christine. Sure, I know, it's predictable and silly but she is so real. I can really see myself in her. He likes to drink, she fails at everything, she is never the bigger person. I like it even though I know it's bad.

I like it too! It makes me laugh! Anything that makes me laugh is good in my book. I prefer comedy over all the NCIS type murder shows!

Dave's Bitch
03-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Everything on TV sucks tonight.I am watching a documentary on a serial killer and it has the worst,most over acted reenactments i have ever seen.It is actually pretty funny

Angel
03-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Everything on TV sucks tonight.I am watching a documentary on a serial killer and it has the worst,most over acted reenactments i have ever seen.It is actually pretty funny

Do you watch blood lies and alibis? I play Elizabeth Gatenby in the episode "The Deadly Divorcee"

envy_me
03-24-2013, 01:22 PM

Which serial killer was it about?

Did you order Ann Rule?

Nitro Express
03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
I like it too! It makes me laugh! Anything that makes me laugh is good in my book. I prefer comedy over all the NCIS type murder shows!

There's enough murder in the real world. Who needs to watch more of it on TV? I agree. I don't watch much TV. Every time I turn it on it's people bidding over some junk in a storage unit or seeing how swamp people, loggers, or trailer trash live. I used to enjoy the Daily Show for a good laugh but that's gotten old. We need some new comedy and more of it.

I actually find myself watching Japanese TV for that. They are so out of the box it's very entertaining.

I just read that more and more people aren't even watching the cable channels anymore. They are watching shows online or just doing something else online. Traditional TV is dying. If someone else can provide the bandwidth, Comcast is toast.

Nickdfresh
03-24-2013, 03:13 PM

My fave sketch...

I've always like Armstrong and Miller as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOfQso9_xwI&list=RD02jNWHbnts45E

Dave's Bitch
03-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Do you watch blood lies and alibis? I play Elizabeth Gatenby in the episode "The Deadly Divorcee"

I have not seen it no.Knowing that i will have to google it :)

Dave's Bitch
03-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Which serial killer was it about?

Did you order Ann Rule?

It was on Dennis Nilsen (British serial killer and necrophiliac) and Ann Rule is awaiting dispatch :)

twonabomber
03-31-2013, 07:23 AM
Just ordered a highly rated HDTV antenna, should be here Wednesday. I may cancel the dish tomorrow. I watch everything a day late, but I can get those shows for free on the 'net the next day...legally or not.

I'm thinking of dumping the dish. Not because TV so much sucks, but because there's not a lot on when I am home and awake. I watch the local news when I get home in the morning, and try to watch something I DVR'd but I usually fall asleep watching it. Takes three hours to watch a one hour show.

Then on Friday and Saturday nights I'm up all night and there isn't shit on at 3 am. So I'll shitcan the dish and save the $100, and watch Survivor on the CBS site or DL it. Fast 'N Loud I can get on the Playstation Store.

Nickdfresh
03-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Just ordered a highly rated HDTV antenna, should be here Wednesday. I may cancel the dish tomorrow. I watch everything a day late, but I can get those shows for free on the 'net the next day...legally or not.

I've thought about doing this myself, several times. But I think watching sports is what pulls me back, even though I do that a lot in bars anyways...

twonabomber
03-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Due to the change in my work schedule, I'm not watching sports anyways. Typically I go to bed around the time football games start. I wake up when 7 pm baseball or basketball games are ending. Any late games will be on the TV at work.

twonabomber
04-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Got the antenna dialed in well enough that I called to cancel. They offered me $25 off a $100 sub, for six months, then $15 off for the next six. I had to keep myself from laughing. She brought up local channels, which I get more of with the antenna...our PBS has four or five channels, plus an audio only channel. I countered with that, and that those are uncompressed OTA broadcasts.

OTA signal strength depends on the weather, most of the time it's really good. I watch ten minutes of local news before I leave, and I usually see enough of the morning show at work to catch the weather. I will try a signal amp next.

I hear the really good offers are yet to come, I am expecting three or four phone calls a day trying to get me back. Ringer's off...call all ya want!