PDA

View Full Version : The war on hipsters is accelerating

Hardrock69
04-11-2013, 10:13 AM
http://www.deathmetal.org/news/the-war-on-hipsters-is-accelerating/

by Brett Stevens
March 30, 2013

Many don’t see this as a metal topic, but as Cianide would say, “Metal never bends!” What does bend, to trends? The hipster and all other people who think a surface-level view of life is important.

A hipster is someone who leverages all aspects of their personality, art and social group for the kind of invisible magic karma points that “popularity” and “notoriety” confer upon the narcissistic personality. Like cultists, hipsters have shattered self-esteem and seek to compensate by knowing things that other people don’t know, specifically traded in artistic and cultural artifacts that are special — like the hipsters themselves — for being unique, odd, “different,” unconventional, distinctive, etc.

Notice what’s missing in there: realistic, accurate, informative and/or useful.

Hipsters originally shunned metal because metal is by nature a warlike genre. We look past the surface level of life’s drama, expressed dually by individual narcissism and social group zombie hive mind thinking, and instead pay attention to the situation beyond the individual. The heavy stuff: war, death, metaphysics, infinity, disease, history, the occult and the esoteric.

In 2008, Adbusters magazine blew the lid off the rising millennial hipster epidemic by proclaiming hipsters the dead end of Western civilization. An excerpt:

Ever since the Allies bombed the Axis into submission, Western civilization has had a succession of counter-culture movements that have energetically challenged the status quo. Each successive decade of the post-war era has seen it smash social standards, riot and fight to revolutionize every aspect of music, art, government and civil society.

But after punk was plasticized and hip hop lost its impetus for social change, all of the formerly dominant streams of “counter-culture” have merged together. Now, one mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior has come to define the generally indefinable idea of the “Hipster.”

An artificial appropriation of different styles from different eras, the hipster represents the end of Western civilization – a culture lost in the superficiality of its past and unable to create any new meaning. Not only is it unsustainable, it is suicidal. While previous youth movements have challenged the dysfunction and decadence of their elders, today we have the “hipster” – a youth subculture that mirrors the doomed shallowness of mainstream society.

Since that time, the hipster epidemic has only become more pervasive. Famous for being ironic, in order to be unconventional and different, hipsters wander through life making art out of garbage, Instagraming their oddball tastes in food, liveblogging their personal drama, treating their children like press agents for themselves, and generally making society more vapid, plastic, superficial, oblivious, trivial and vain.

Luckily, world leaders and authority figures are stepping in to help out.

First, North Korea is helping by threatening immediate war. But this isn’t a war on the USA. It’s a war on hipsters:

Some Texans, however, suggested the path in fact led 95 miles south to Austin, the state’s capital, and speculated that Mr Kim had taken against the liberal enclave’s young “hipster” population.

North Korea probably doesn’t get a lot of US papers. They probably don’t get too many Americans over there who aren’t credulous tourists or formal State Department types. However, they do get the internet. To them, America is an unending stream of Pinterest, Facebook, Reddit and FourSquare. From their point of view, the US = hipsters. So they’re taking out the real hipster capital of this place, and hope that will kill our culture like an ant mound poisoned with cianide.

From a completely different angle, Taylor Swift is mocking hipsters with her new single, including Instagram-style photographs, ironic hipster classes, and bittersweet lyrics that are poignant through indecision. She is hoping to curry her fanbase, composed of legions of young women with disposable income, to wage war on the hipster. This might succeed even better than Kim Jong-un’s nuclear attack.

And covering the domestic front, Boston’s police department are cracking down on hipster house parties featuring boring two-note pop punk bands with ironic themes about getting lost on life’s highway. Apparently, the officers are impersonating trendy hipsters in order to figure out where the hip ones are congregating in suburban houses, where they and their bad bands and PBR make noise until 4 am, prompting not one but many homeowners to open fire with rusty old weapons from the last real war.

While by themselves none of these seem significant, when added up these commonalities point to one thing: a world-wide backlash against the hipster and its superficial, ironic and selfish ways. As the hipster falls, metal rises, so we’re glad to see this development.

BITEYOASS
04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
I love it when trends go away like a fart in the wind. BTW, when was the last time you heard one of those Emo/Screamo bands on the radio lately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJCGX1PHQLs

Hardrock69
04-11-2013, 01:50 PM
I had a friend once whose sister had no favorite bands, no favorite fashions to wear, no favorite anything.

Why not?

Because she was a trend-follower who followed whatever trend was current. As soon as it fell out of favor with pop-culture, she would drop it and move on to the next trend.

What a pathetic and shallow excuse for a human being.

VHscraps
04-11-2013, 04:17 PM
A brilliant and very funny and very accurate article.

FORD
04-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Trendies, hipsters, followers... whatever you want to call them. Always a waste of time.

The "hipsters" never heard of The Cure until 1987 or so, but Robert Smith was calling them out on their bullshit years before that....

If you pick up on it quick
You can say you were there
Again and again and again
You're jumping someone else's train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZFdbke78k0

Zing!
04-11-2013, 04:46 PM
With the Internet slowly killing terrestrial radio and physical album sales, might we see an underground movement of real rock/metal? Or is that kind of musical revolution impossible?

PETE'S BROTHER
04-11-2013, 04:50 PM
With the Internet slowly killing terrestrial radio and physical album sales, might we see an underground movement of real rock/metal? Or is that kind of musical revolution impossible?

yeah, and we'll use bitcoins

clarathecarrot
04-11-2013, 05:38 PM
SPEAKING OF APP's wtf...

A complete trendy bunch of useless non-sense.

Yeasterday (I guess I am behind the trends).

This person shows me a app she has we are driving and a tune is on the radio she takes her I phone punches a app and in 3 second not 5 but 3 seconds,. it tells you the name of the song, by listening...?

The song playing on the car radio.!!!

It also lists the artist the tour dates links to more info of said artist...this is any song any station in a nano second.

I have types sentences of songs into google to get info before must be a similar principal...

But this app scans the etire catal0og of recorded history and in 3 seconds has tour dates and ticket prices and anything about that artist.

Useless trival junk, but amazing.

"Shazam"..do a search I won't link here due to they should pay TheRA for links like this...lol.

The Iphone listens it didn't record and search,....... it listened.

VHscraps
04-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Shazam is an amazing thing. I can remember as recently as 10 years ago losing fucking sleep cos I wanted so badly to find out what a particular tune on a TV ad was - it was on TV several times a night for fucking months, and no one I knew had a clue what it was ... and it was so kick-ass that I couldn't believe no one had a clue who it was ...

Eventually I discovered it was 'Have Love Will Travel' by The Sonics. After first encountering inferior versions by other bands.

Now with Shazam ... it probably makes it just a little bit too easy. It woulda identified it in mere seconds. I have tried it in a bar with a lot of background noise and it still works.

One of my technophobe friends said it best when I showed her my iPhone after first buying it about 18 months ago - 'ah, I see. It's like having an external super-powered brain?'

clarathecarrot
04-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Shazam is an amazing thing. I can remember as recently as 10 years ago losing fucking sleep cos I wanted so badly to find out what a particular tune on a TV ad was - it was on TV several times a night for fucking months, and no one I knew had a clue what it was ... and it was so kick-ass that I couldn't believe no one had a clue who it was ...

Eventually I discovered it was 'Have Love Will Travel' by The Sonics. After first encountering inferior versions by other bands.

Now with Shazam ... it probably makes it just a little bit too easy. It woulda identified it in mere seconds. I have tried it in a bar with a lot of background noise and it still works.

One of my technophobe friends said it best when I showed her my iPhone after first buying it about 18 months ago - 'ah, I see. It's like having an external super-powered brain?'

Great way to make money haven't figured the angle yet..but a artist would love it ....you hear a song use Shazam then see they are on tour by you and you look at your friend say let's go get your tickets the same way, boom... tickets sold...

As far as angle who is selling this, Apple...bet there would have to be a way to market this in other ways..it's boggling my feeble brain.

Do you make artists pay to be listed in the archive of recorded music (impossible, that is free domain stuff already out there) bill the pruducers who own the songs..?

Should the artists get paid by ticket bastard for a peek poke or only the actual sale of a ticket..how else could this idea be exploited sounds bad but..I was amazed.

clarathecarrot
04-11-2013, 06:12 PM
By the way I see by The RA app I am "TRENDING" quite fabulously today .

...a 3% share...the imaginary bucks are just rolling in..lol.

To trend or not to trend that is the current already out of style question currently..as of now..no ...now...etc...

PETE'S BROTHER
04-11-2013, 06:19 PM
"we missed it"
"when"
"just now"

VHscraps
04-11-2013, 06:22 PM
I think in some cases it might lead to those tickets sales just cos it plugs you into this whole ecosystem of on-tap leisure opportunities - buy the song, the album, the ticket - so when you are momentarily struck by the desire or itch to buy that ticket, or that song - boom! You can act on it right away and buy it.

But equally you might get distracted by something else just as quickly.

I'll tell you this - and it's not about Shazam, but the principle is the same I think. Last week I couldn't sleep because of noise from neighbours and from outdoors. It was Easter weekend and I live slap-bang in central Manchester. After five months I have discovered that the optimal age for living here is probably 28. Unfortunately, I am 48! So there I am, lying in bed, awoken again at 3.30am as the clubs turn out etc. I decide that I will have to have booze in the house for this purpose, and to ensure I sleep thru it because it hsppens on pretty predictable days. So, I fire up my iPhone. Open the Amazon app, drop a case of extra strong Polish Warka lager into my basket. One tap more and I have an order on the way. The deliver arrives the following day.

I am still drinking it ...

clarathecarrot
04-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Perhaps, the finest usage/mis-use..lol.. of tech I have ever read about.

ashstralia
04-11-2013, 07:36 PM
For the guitarists... Try fooling shazam. I do it for fun sometimes, it's a good party trick. Eg; tune your axe to Eb, play 'sweet child o mine' intro. You have to get the tone/timing spot on or it won't work. Try any song that starts with a guitar riff...

clarathecarrot
04-11-2013, 08:41 PM
"we missed it"
"when"
"just now"

"we missed it"
"when"
"just now"
"Dang, I just got here will she do it again"
"opps to late"
"what"
"I don't know"