X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

RIP Richie Havens.......

The accidental, yet first act at Woodstock has left to go to that Great Gig In The Sky.....

By RJ Cubarrubia
    April 22, 2013 5:15 PM ET

Richie Havens, the folk singer and guitarist who famously opened the Woodstock Festival in 1969, died this morning from a sudden heart attack. He was 72.

Richie Havens in 1968: 'The Direction For My Music Is Heaven'

Havens was born in Brooklyn, New York and relocated to Greenwich Village in his early twenties. He released his first album, A Richie Havens Record, in 1965; by 1967, he had signed with Verve of MGM Records to release his breakthrough third album, Mixed Bag. He released Something Else Again in 1968 and Richard P. Havens, 1983 in 1969, both of which landed on the Billboard Top 200 chart and built his reputation as an impressive live performer.

Havens famously opened the Woodstock Festival in 1969 with a long, impromptu set. He recorded over a dozen albums during his career and performed at President Bill Clinton's inauguration in 1993. A public memorial for Havens will be announced at a later date.

• fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

RIP Richie.

I heard he was originally supposed to only play about 40 minutes at Woodstock, and it ended up being 2 hours and 45 minutes. Havens said "I played every song I knew!" in later interviews on the subject.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• VHscraps
      Veteran
      • Jul 2009

And ... Diamond Dave's sometime child minder when he was house singer at The Cafe Wha.
      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• ODShowtime
        ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Richie Havens was cool.
        gnaw on it

Comment

• GreenBayLA
          Sniper
          • Jan 2006

RIP This is my favorite of his, a Groove Armada song. Ian Punnett uses it to close out his Coast To Coast AM shows.

"Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Nov 2004

He had such a moving, identifyable voice.
            Didn't he improvise his opening song at Woodstock?

RIP
            Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 05-02-2013, 05:34 AM.
            posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• philouze
              Banned
              • Mar 2004

Call me a jackass, but I thought he died years ago.
              I liked his cameo on Married With Children.

R.I.P, Mr Freedom.

Comment

Working...