PDA

View Full Version : How much does the setlist mean to you?

loucap81
04-24-2013, 08:29 PM
I know this has been somewhat of a controversial topic and I am not trying to stir up shit, be negative or ungrateful or anything like that. I've seen VH 20 times since 2007 and spent thousands of dollars on this band between tickets and the cost of traveling. While that doesn't make my opinion more qualified than anyone else's, the point is that I'm a sincere fan and no one wants this thing to keep going and be great more than I do.

Alright let's say Van Halen decides to do another run of dates, maybe to make up the shows they had planned for the summer of 2012. At least one of the shows is in your hometown. If you knew, with 100% certainty, that the setlist would be the exact-same 90 minute setlist they did in Sydney, at every single show, would you pay to see that? Assume that AVH and WVH are laying down the rhythm section just fine, EVH is playing as well as he did in 2012, and Dave has made a full recovery and his voice is at or approaching 2007-08 quality.

I for one would not. If this were the reunion tour I would because I was just that damn excited about it. But the novelty of the reunion has worn off, plus I'm done with pulling stunts like that because it's just too damn expensive. Last year I knew they were mixing it up; if not for that I probably only would have hit a couple shows instead of the 7 shows I hit.

I would even be fine with a 110-120 minute show that I KNEW would be a copy of one of the 7 shows I saw in 2012. But 90 minutes, with nothing that I didn't already hear last year, with about 30 of those minutes devoted to solos, covers, and Dave talking before Ice Cream Man...not going to cut the mustard anymore.

Now I'd be shocked if this scenario actually happened, I'd have to think the 90 minute, no-deep-cut setlist was only because of the festival constraints. But I'd like to see how much the setlist does or does not factor into your decision to see the band at this point.

Here was the Sydney setlist for easy reference:

1. Unchained
2. Runnin' With the Devil
3. She's the Woman
4. Romeo Delight
5. Tattoo
6. Everybody Wants Some!!
7. Somebody Get Me a Doctor
8. China Town
9. (Oh) Pretty Woman
10. Drum Solo
11. You Really Got Me
12. Dance the Night Away
13. I'll Wait
14. Hot for Teacher
15. Beautiful Girls
16. Ice Cream Man
17. Panama
18. Guitar Solo
19. Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love
20. Jump

Va Beach VH Fan
04-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Are you only narrowing your question to US, meaning CVH fanatics, Lou ??

Because the thing that stood out to me reading your poll description is that the VAST majority of music fans going to see VH in concert are not fanatical dumbasses like us....

Ya know ??

loucap81
04-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Are you only narrowing your question to US, meaning CVH fanatics, Lou ??

Because the thing that stood out to me reading your poll description is that the VAST majority of music fans going to see VH in concert are not fanatical dumbasses like us....

Ya know ??

Not narrowing to anyone.

I'd expect mostly "Yes" responses from people outside of North America who have never seen them before. However I'd guess the majority of people who will read this thread 1) live in the US or Canada and 2) have seen VH by now, and that will certainly factor in to the responses.

twonabomber
04-24-2013, 09:18 PM
If they hit CLE I would absolutely go.

The only local DLR show I missed since '86 was the YFLM tour. Hell I even roadtripped Toledo in '86, if two hours drive counts as a roadtrip.

ELVIS
04-24-2013, 09:18 PM
If Dave was a sure fire thing I might be inclined to pay it...

But generally no...

I've spent enough on Van Halen that they're going to have to up the ante...

:elvis:

DLR Bridge
04-24-2013, 09:37 PM
I got my tickets for last years show before having a clue what they were going to play. I would expect the same scenario should they throw out some US dates post Japan.

I think I want to bring my oldest to a show, so the set list won't be a factor, I suppose. But I am done with pricey tickets. Cheap seats are going to have to do.

Northern Girl
04-24-2013, 09:53 PM
I hope they never tour again!

fraroc
04-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Even though unlike FUCKFACE I enjoyed the Oz show....when it comes to the setlist, I'll always stand by this for the 2013-14 US tour (hopefully)

1. Intro/Aint Talkin' 'Bout Love
2. You Really Got Me
3. Alex Van Halen Drum Solo
4. Hot For Teacher
5. Runnin' With The Devil
6. Tattoo
7. And The Cradle Will Rock...
8. Intruder/Pretty Woman
9. She's The Woman
10. Outta Love Again
11. D.O.A
12. Unchained
13. Panama
14. Big River
15. Wolfgang Van Halen Bass Solo/So This Is Love?
16. I'll Wait (This song is better live than in the studio, so shut it)
17. As Is
18. On Fire
19. Ice Cream Man
20. Everybody Wants Some!!
21. Blood And Fire
22. Eddie Van Halen Guitar Solo (316,Cathedral,Eruption mixed in with the usual wankery)
23. Dance The Night Away

(ENCORE)

24. 1984/Jump
25. Beats Workin'

I know that my "ideal" setlist is missing songs like Hear About It Later, Romeo Delight, Little Guitars etc...but in real life some of the ADKOT songs could be swapped out and replaced with deeper cuts.

Side note, I'd give my left nut to see VH attempt to do Me Wise Magic live, preferably as one of the encores.

DLR Bridge
04-24-2013, 10:36 PM

I do recall you stating in your show review that you'd had your fill of live VH. I agreed completely, at the time. That VH bug has a way of getting back in your blood stream, though.

clarathecarrot
04-24-2013, 10:42 PM
I would like a new album of new songs if DLR and ED think they can swing it..I want new written material that is about today.

and a tour of that that is my want...I will take anything else they do live as a show and I don't care what they play.

They are going to play tunes people recognize. We want to sing along.

ADKOT was old songs from the 70s' they are great extreemly well done rehashes. but still have the original CVH sound .

I would like for them to step out of the box and it is time and they will win with it.

I don't want "10 albums in the can" songs I want to see if the guys can get with the program of today.

Eds guitar doesn't sound the same, Daves voice is different I want them to write and play within todays VH..who they are, maybe with some Wolf badassed bass driving a few tunes let the kid stretch his legs so to speak.

I have no issue with the set list recognizable tour music is what sells tickets...ding dongs.

Halen High
04-24-2013, 11:19 PM
As I live in Australia and Saturday's Sydney show was the first time Van Halen had ever come here with Dave, I really wasn't fussed about the set-list. But if I lived in North America and had already seen them 10-20 times, then the set-list would be important. At the end of the day the most important thing is...Van Halen is performing a kick-arse set-list of music from their classic and current eras.

My ideal set-list for their next show:
1. Romeo Delight
2. Ain’t Talkin' 'Bout Love
3. Unchained
4. You Really Got Me
5. She’s The Woman
6. Alex Van Halen Drum Solo
7. Hot For Teacher
8. Runnin' With The Devil
9. Tattoo
10. And The Cradle Will Rock...
11. Push Comes To Shove
12. As Is
13. Big River
14. In A Simple Rhyme
15. Everybody Wants Some
16. Panama
17. Little Guitars
18. So This Is Love?
19. Jamie’s Cryin’
20. Stay Frosty
21. Dance The Night Away
22. Eddie Van Halen Guitar Solo (whatever he wants to play)
23. Feel Your Love Tonight

(Encore)

24. Light Up The Sky
25. Jump

Halen High
04-24-2013, 11:29 PM

Now I have seen them and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, my preference is for new music on a consistent basis. But before they call it a day, I would like to see them go places they haven't been for a long time, such as South America and Europe.

DONNIEP
04-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Unless VH shows up with a completely new show - set list, stage, lighting - no. I'm not gonna shell out 150 + for a ticket. I've paid Wolfie enough money for him to be a paper weight. I know, he is Jesus Christ reincarnated and we all should bow down to him. But I'm done. If things stay even remotely like they are now - I won't go. I dig the job Wolfie's doing. But I ain't paying for it again. Bring back Mikey and I'm there. I know a lot of you guys are "it ain't Van Halen without Wolfie", but I'm not in that crowd. Sorry.

TitanTopper
04-25-2013, 12:20 AM
To my knowledge, they have never played Drop Dead Legs live...except a quick tease in a sound check. Can someone please explain to me, why??? Is it difficult to play? Does the solo at the end with overlapping tracks make it too difficult to pull off live? Is it one of those songs that Ed just hates? It is one of my absolute favs!! Someone, help explain!?!?

jhale667
04-25-2013, 12:32 AM
The irony of threads and comments about playing the "hits" for me is in a past life I once sat in the room with another famous 80s band when the singer was yelling "Do you really think we WANT to play (insert 'hit' here) the 27,000th time? Do you think we wouldn't still get crucified if we didn't play it?" :lmao:

I'll go see them again, sure. If they dig out a few more gems and switch things up even a little bit I'll be happy, but I don't expect them to tour successfully behind a diehard fan, deep-cut only setlist.

ELVIS
04-25-2013, 12:40 AM
Oh bullshit...

It would be well received by both fans and critics alike if a well polished Van Halen came out playing ADKOT almost in it's entirety...

It's Dave's fault they didn't do just that for whatever reason...

The triplet sisters were prepared...

:biggrin:

Northern Girl
04-25-2013, 01:06 AM
I do recall you stating in your show review that you'd had your fill of live VH. I agreed completely, at the time. That VH bug has a way of getting back in your blood stream, though.

I was just being provocative to see what people would say. :biggrin:

This is my feel...if they do another album and I actually like it, I would likely go see them again. I WILL NEVER buy a VIP seat again!!!!

Thing is...if they do another album of reworked old stuff, it will likely fail...if they try and write everything from scratch, Lord help them write an entire album that's great! I have serious doubts.

See, they can say they are a band as much as they want, but the separate working is BS. They don't feel like a band to me. They feel like a bunch of guys hanging on by a thread. At the same time, they probably aren't that desparate, because everybody but Al has other irons in the fire.

In the end, the setlist problem won't change unless Dave steps up and learns new songs, because he's the one holding everyone back. The bad reviews won't stop unless Dave works very, very hard on his end. I think he worked harder this last show and proves he is capable, but how long will that last?

I would be happy with one more album effort without a tour. If they are not dismal failures, they can keep making albums without touring as long as they want. I don't need to see them again. I enjoy seeing Dave on his show, which he obviously wants to expand to a real podcast with interviews, etc. That would even be enough for me with no new music. I'm interested to see this 'show' he wrote about his life too.

I just don't want a half-assed Van Halen going on and on and on. They will continue to lose fans every year and become a horrible joke. That would be way worse to me than never seeing them again!

vandeleur
04-25-2013, 03:01 AM
Dave's bond comments for me mean he gets they can't keep rollin out the same set every year to the same people .
They either mix it up , play with the set a bit or write new material .
Lots of hard work especially for Dave . At this moment does Dave wanna sit in a bunker and write or enjoy his hour in the sun , again .

Or they hit new markets playing the party pack.
That seems to me the easy option , shit when I see bands do world tours now they play places I ain't even heard of and sell big .
How about VH tour South Asia , South America .
I Am from Europe where the history comes from they could play gigs here .

They have options open to them .

I think the sisters would like new material fuck bet they just play all day long jamming

But is Dave just gonna want to do his victory dance and enjoy blooming again.

big fatty
04-25-2013, 03:22 AM
When VAN HALEN rolls into my town, there is no God damned motherfucking way in bloody hell I would EVER miss it. :599:

VHscraps
04-25-2013, 04:15 AM
I wouldn't miss them either if they came to the UK/Europe, but outside the US they don't have a bunch of hits they need to serve up.

Solo DLR has probably had as many chart hits as CVH in the UK and nobody is clamouring for those to be played 'cos he's in the band (think that used to happen with Rod Stewart and The Faces). Otherwise the most well-known songs are probably on the first album and 1984.

Maybe they could do a show where they play a whole album beginning to end? Or seeing as the albums are short, play -e.g.- the 1981 setlist, the 1980 setlist.

Or, if they record a new album, just play new stuff and ADKOT and throw in some hits as encores.

Outside the US, I guarantee you that no one BUT hardcore fans know that they recorded Pretty Woman and I'll Wait. And I don't really want to see much better stuff being sacrificed for stuff like that.

78/84 guy
04-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Oh bullshit...

It would be well received by both fans and critics alike if a well polished Van Halen came out playing ADKOT almost in it's entirety...

It's Dave's fault they didn't do just that for whatever reason...

The triplet sisters were prepared...

:biggrin:

It will NEVER happen ! Only diehards would go. That means playing clubs. They would fold first.

fryingdutchman
04-25-2013, 07:40 AM
In 2007 the setlist meant the WORLD to me. Teams of wild horses could not have kept me away.

In 2013 it has become somewhat stale and I greet it with a reluctant shrug of my shoulders. I thought that after ADKOT the tour would feel more like it was to support the new record. Instead, it still has a "nostalgia, greatest hits" vibe with an "oh yeah...by the way, here's a couple of new tunes just for the fuck of it."

fryingdutchman
04-25-2013, 07:45 AM
I have no issue with the set list recognizable tour music is what sells tickets...ding dongs.

Unless it's the same recognizable music, in virtually the same order, spanning multiple tours over 6 years.

It won't sell tickets for long at that rate...

Zing!
04-25-2013, 07:46 AM
I voted yes. What can I say - it's Van fucking Halen. I'd go see them strummin' with the devil as long as Diamond Dave is in the center spotlight.

fryingdutchman
04-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Unless VH shows up with a completely new show - set list, stage, lighting - no. I'm not gonna shell out 150 + for a ticket. I've paid Wolfie enough money for him to be a paper weight. I know, he is Jesus Christ reincarnated and we all should bow down to him. But I'm done. If things stay even remotely like they are now - I won't go. I dig the job Wolfie's doing. But I ain't paying for it again. Bring back Mikey and I'm there. I know a lot of you guys are "it ain't Van Halen without Wolfie", but I'm not in that crowd. Sorry.

While I'm not as extreme in my feelings about Wolfie, I think your post kicked ass.

I still give big props to Wolf for his role in making all of this happen. I don't think we'd have any of these issues to debate in the first place if it wasn't for Wolfie.

But the show needs to evolve if CVH is to survive in its current incarnation.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-25-2013, 08:53 AM
When VAN HALEN rolls into my town, there is no God damned motherfucking way in bloody hell I would EVER miss it. :599:

Thank you.

I think a lot of you are full of condensed horse shit. With all due respect, of course.... ;)

But let me clarify....

I think if you are as huge a VH fan as most of you portray yourselves to be, and VH is, say, within 50 miles of your house, you're fucking going and don't pretend that you wouldn't.....

NOW, I will accept that you may not want to drive 250 miles each way, like I had to do to see them in Greensboro, in order to see VH again....

But again, if VH is fairly close to you, you're going.....

chefcraig
04-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Perhaps I'm more dense than many, yet I simply don't get it. I mean, come on...I'm going to be the one jughead in a crowd of thousands that get's to see a VH show, then wanders out to the parking lot (or the internet) grumbling about the fact they did not play "Women In Love?"

No, I didn't just wake up and smell the coffee. The truth is, for every one of us die-hard fanatics with a thirst or hunger for unexplored/ignored live VH stuff, there are about 15 to 30 normal folks staggering around the hall that quite frankly, give not even a fart, let alone a shit.

Sorry, ya can't serve two masters in life. Apparently, Aerosmith discovered this sometime in the late 1980s, and have gone on to somehow survive with caustic commentary (by those that initially loved 'em in the first place for being inebriated cretins) to this day.

If Van Halen wishes to end their career much like the Bee Gees (who were absolutely terrific by the way, and fuck you if you disagree) playing a hits-only set, I'm fine with it. As long as the bastards continue to put out and pull off outstanding albums like A Different Kind of Truth.

Never was
04-25-2013, 09:48 AM
90 minute setlist was mandated and advertised by the person writing the check, the promoter, so how does the band get a shot for that? They crammed in as much as they could with that limit.

Playing to a crowd they have never played, Australia for a one off show you bet your ass they focussed on the hits and they should. The crowd wasn't youtube who seen ever show it was Aussies at a festival most had never seen Van Halen.

The tour in the US the band did a good job of tweaking the set along the way, consider this is a band that has historically played one setlist the entire tour. If they do another leg in the US yeah the setlist should be updated but no it is not going to be a new stage etc... until next tour.

As a customer you want em to pay for a new product and different setlist than you paid for already, fair enough. Bitching about a setlist for a concert you didn't spend a dime on in Australia is just weak and frankly full of BS. The bands job is not to keep your youtube freshly stocked with rarities. Get over yourself.

ZahZoo
04-25-2013, 09:50 AM
If it were local to my area and didn't conflict with work or a scheduled vacation... I'd most likely go see them with that set list. But honestly it would have to be convenient and virtually no impact to my budget. If I had to travel more than an hour or work to include it in my budget... no way I'd go and waste several hundreds of dollars on that set list... no matter what quality was delivered.

Does the set list matter... hell yes. Is Van Halen delivering the best of their body of work... fuck no.

Just looking at it from a simple numbers perspective... not including best of's or live releases in the album counts. But including released original tracks...

With Roth:

7 Albums; 75 tracks; 8 covers

With Hagar:

4 albums; 45 tracks; 1 cover

With Cherone:

1 album; 12 tracks; 0 covers

Sydney Set List:

20 tracks; 2 solos; 3 covers; 15 original songs; 3 from ADKOT, 12 from The Six Pack™

Even throwing out 49.2% of their catalog (Hagar & Cherone material)... they're still only performing 20% of their original material with Roth... 26.6% if you include everything in the Sydney show.

ZahZoo conclusion... there's a shit load of material that could make the set list much more interesting... even excluding half their catalog. I have no reservations that the 3 amigos could deliver anything in the catalog... question is... Could Dave?

Va Beach VH Fan
04-25-2013, 09:59 AM
ZahZoo conclusion... there's a shit load of material that could make the set list much more interesting... even excluding half their catalog. I have no reservations that the 3 amigos could deliver anything in the catalog... question is... Could Dave?

THAT's the question...

For example, personally I'd love to hear On Fire again, but I know damn well we'll never hear it again live, Dave can't get close to those notes anymore....

ThrillsNSpills
04-25-2013, 10:53 AM
THAT's the question...

For example, personally I'd love to hear On Fire again, but I know damn well we'll never hear it again live, Dave can't get close to those notes anymore....

That and the background harmony is impossible without Mike.

big fatty
04-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Good God, Almighty Jesus H Fucking Christ. :confused11:

I can't believe some of the shit I'm reading here right now.

Do you remember the years between 1984 & 2006 ?

Talk about selective amnesia or what. For years one of my pet peeves was when Van Halen ever came up in a casual conversation, I always had to point out that they are only Van Halen ( the band ), with Dave. Which always yeilded a comment that they had some good stuff with Sammy too. Then they go on to talk about how Dave was a washed up bald homo and Eddie will NEVER get back with Dave, EVER.

To which I always voraciously replied : FUCK YOU !!!

Usually these conversations were with my friends and co-workers or whoever. You know, just a casual chit chat. But it really picked me that I had to explain that Van Halen was only Van Halen with Roth. Then reluctantly agree that Eddie did some cool stuff, but it was no where near as phenomenally outstanding as with DLR. I sort of understand the ignorance and generic musical taste of many folks, they just don't understand or appreciate the finer things in life, and are content to consume whatever everyone else likes at the time. Kinda like all those fat stupid McDonald's eating motherfuckers without tastebuds. They just don't get it.

Also the fact that Edward Van Halen is the ultimate all time greatest guitar god of all rock music, I suppose you can't blame them for being Bi-Halen. They love Eddie, and that's what they listen to. It was still Eddie & Alex after all, it's just too bad they had picked Sammy. It's possible they could of still been great without Dave, but I don't know who else they could have gotten. I like many other bands that changed singers, but when listening to Van Hagar, all I heard was what it wasn't MY VAN HALEN. I do actually like some of their pop hits and other stuff, but think of it as another band. Like, Foreigner, or something, I like it when it's on the radio, but not enough to be a fan and buy the albums and whatnot. You know what I mean.

Anyhow, I lost my train of thought, and have much more to say but am too lazy too type anymore.

Count your lucky stars Van Halen are even still playing and hopefully putting out new stuff. Not to mention even being alive and vibrant for fuck sakes.

The Austrailian show was 90 minutes because that's what the festival promoters probably insisted on in their contract. Not because VH didn't want to do the regular two hour show.

Last year was the FIRST time they EVER treated the audience by switching out a few tunes throughout the tour, and people are bitching about the setlist. Fuck me. :high5:

My only complaint was that I thought Dave's yellow jacket looked stupid.

binnie
04-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Sure I'd pay to see it.

The chances of CVH playing near me are slim, so I'd take any chance to see 'em. And I'd go to the gig in full knowledge of the fact they're not 25 any more.....

binnie
04-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Sometimes I think people want magic rather than music.

Perhaps an analogy will help: I saw Sabbath last year, and I'd love to have heard 'Symptom of The Universe' or 'Hole In The Sky', but they don't play 'em because Ozzy can't hit those notes anymore. Given the choice of: a) them playing it and it sounding like a pale comparison of what it should be and b) not hearing it, I'd take b every day of the week. At the age these guys are at, they play a balance of what they HAVE to play (their famous songs) and what they CAN play (and it's usually the singer who is the problem, because his instrument ages).

Jesus Christ
04-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Good God, Almighty Jesus H Fucking Christ. :confused11:

I appreciate thy prayers, My son. But that really is not My middle name. :jesuslol:

chefcraig
04-25-2013, 06:22 PM
I appreciate thy prayers, My son. But that really is not My middle name. :jesuslol:

I thought it was Harold? "Our father who art in heaven, Harold be thy name."

ELVIS
04-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Sometimes I think people want magic rather than music.

At the prices these promoters and acts demand, I want both...

big fatty
04-25-2013, 06:59 PM

Where the hell were you in 1996 ? :high5:

LoungeMachine
04-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Jesus Howard Christ...

Our father, who art in heaven, Howard be thy name....

:gulp:

ELVIS
04-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Either way...

Repeating something from the Bible or anywhere isn't prayer...

LoungeMachine
04-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Neither is repeating shit over and over on a DLR website....

Doesn't stop you.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Either way...

Repeating something from the Bible or anywhere isn't prayer...

repeating the lord's prayer isn't prayer?

chefcraig
04-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Where the hell were you in 1996 ? :high5:

Working construction and spending my evenings in bars. I wouldn't get a computer for another two years.

LoungeMachine
04-25-2013, 07:50 PM

Here we go.......

:lmao:

PETE'S BROTHER
04-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Here we go.......

:lmao:

no, i'll just leave this about the setlist

Hardrock69
04-25-2013, 07:59 PM

No it is not. It is just mindlessly mumbling a man-made creation. Perhaps you will feel better for having mumbled on with it, but your chances of the Lor-DUH making some kind of cosmic appearance because you recited some 500-year-old poetry are none to none......

And if VH came around again....with the same show as they are doing now?

Naaah. I have seen current version VH. Not too interested in shelling out $150 to see the movie a second time.

Now if they were to get Mikey back for one more go-around, then yes.....I would easily pay more than that.

But I never thought I would see them again with Dave at all. Now that I have, I am fine with it.

Jesus Christ
04-25-2013, 08:04 PM
No it is not. It is just mindlessly mumbling a man-made creation. Perhaps you will feel better for having mumbled on with it, but your chances of the Lor-DUH making some kind of cosmic appearance because you recited some 500-year-old poetry are none to none......

The Lord maketh cosmic appearances here all the time. And actually, the "poetry" is closer to 2000 years old, not 500.

I should know, I wrote it. Of course it loses a little in the translation from the original Aramaic, but ye would all be confused if I recited that version.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-25-2013, 08:06 PM
The Lord maketh cosmic appearances here all the time. And actually, the "poetry" is closer to 2000 years old, not 500.

I should know, I wrote it. Of course it loses a little in the translation from the original Aramaic, but ye would all be confused if I recited that version.

did you vote in the poll?

Jesus Christ
04-25-2013, 08:23 PM

It would be pointless to do so, as sadly Van Halen is not touring Heaven this year :(

chefcraig
04-25-2013, 08:25 PM
It would be pointless to do so, as sadly Van Halen is not touring Heaven this year :(

Not for nuthin, but isn't that good news?

LoungeMachine
04-25-2013, 08:26 PM

Or anywhere else for that matter.....

PETE'S BROTHER
04-25-2013, 08:30 PM

you are omni present. go vote

ELVIS
04-25-2013, 08:32 PM

The Lord's Prayer, as people call it, is a basic guideline for prayer...

Not something to say over and over...

"And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

“Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done...

In this manner, therefore pray, not repeat this daily...

What good would that do, anyway ??

Just talk to God, as the Bible is saying...

PETE'S BROTHER
04-25-2013, 08:34 PM
The Lord's Prayer, as people call it, is a basic guideline for prayer...

Not something to say over and over...

"And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

“Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. 9 In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done...

What good would that do, anyway ??

Just talk to God, as the Bible is saying...

LoungeMachine
04-25-2013, 08:34 PM
So ummm... it's only "prayer" if you say it over and over?

ELVIS
04-25-2013, 08:35 PM

Ummm no...

That's chanting...

Like Catholic people do...

twonabomber
04-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Congrats, another thread in Main fucked up!

chefcraig
04-25-2013, 08:37 PM

So that's why Hagar is always saying the same shit, over and over: He's praying! Now it all makes sense!

Jesus Christ
04-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Not for nuthin, but isn't that good news?

Well, the good news would be that they are not touring Hell either. :jesuslol:

Jesus Christ
04-25-2013, 08:41 PM
So that's why Hagar is always saying the same shit, over and over: He's praying! Now it all makes sense!

If he's praying, it sure isn't to Me or My Dad! :jesuslol:

LoungeMachine
04-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Congrats, another thread in Main fucked up!

Did you pray to keep it on topic?

chefcraig
04-25-2013, 08:44 PM
If he's praying, it sure isn't to Me or My Dad! :jesuslol:

More than likely he's just preaching to the converted, his so-called flock of sheep.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Ummm no...

That's chanting...

Like Catholic people do...

a mantra, if you will

LoungeMachine
04-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Well, the good news would be that they are not touring Hell either. :jesuslol:

Cleveland?

chefcraig
04-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Cleveland?

Nah, Detroit. Anthony Bourdain visited there with his buddy Zamir, and man, talk about a misbegotten hellhole.

LoungeMachine
04-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Nah, Detroit. Anthony Bourdain visited there with his buddy Zamir, and man, talk about a misbegotten hellhole.

Now you're just trolling Dale.....lol

chefcraig
04-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Now you're just trolling Dale.....lol

And kwame. Where in hell is that guy?

PETE'S BROTHER
04-25-2013, 08:52 PM

replacing electrical tape

chefcraig
04-25-2013, 08:54 PM
replacing electrical tape

Of course, it's what holds his drum set together. That, some baling wire and a heck of a lot of prayer.

LoungeMachine
04-25-2013, 08:56 PM

He's fighting parking tickets...

I told him if he put a set of drumsticks on his dashboard he could park in the handicapped spaces.

He fell for it....

PETE'S BROTHER
04-25-2013, 08:57 PM
his face was more fucked up than usual a few days ago too ;)

loucap81
04-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Sorry, ya can't serve two masters in life. Apparently, Aerosmith discovered this sometime in the late 1980s, and have gone on to somehow survive with caustic commentary (by those that initially loved 'em in the first place for being inebriated cretins) to this day. [/B][/I]

Just so you know, Aerosmith changes the setlist every night.

Terry
04-25-2013, 09:04 PM

And if VH came around again....with the same show as they are doing now?

Naaah. I have seen current version VH. Not too interested in shelling out $150 to see the movie a second time.

Now if they were to get Mikey back for one more go-around, then yes.....I would easily pay more than that.

But I never thought I would see them again with Dave at all. Now that I have, I am fine with it.

Yeah, not so much on another go-around with Van Halen if it was the Sydney setlist UNLESS Mike Anthony was back in the band.

The parts of the last two tours I enjoyed the best were the "non-greatest hits" material/or material that hadn't been played live by Van Halen since Roth left in 1985. While Dave from 1999 onwards toured and played sets heavy on the CVH, there's just nothing quite like seeing Dave and Van Halen play CVH.

Am talking about tracks from the 2007/2008 and 2012 shows such as:

The Full Bug
Outta Love Again
Girl Gone Bad
Little Guitars
Little Dreamer
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
I'm The One
Women In Love
Romeo Delight
Hear About It Later
Hang 'Em High

I mean, you KNOW they're gonna play:
Running With The Devil
Jump
Unchained
Panama
Hot For Teacher
Everybody Wants Some!!
Ain't Talking 'Bout Love
Dance The Night Away
THOSE tracks are stock/standard CVH staples.

It's the deeper cuts, and the fact that they mixed up the setlist as the last two tours went along, that kept it interesting.

For some reason I think Mike will play with the band, maybe on the next go-around. I think Wolfgang knows people want to see it, Dave extended an olive branch via the press to Mike and Wolfgang seems to cool enough to suggest to his father that it should happen. Now, should THAT come to pass, I'd be up for it...and then I think I'd probably not be as concerned about seeing the band as I have been the last two tours. Although it's not like the band now are working at a prolific pace, so maybe if they tour in 2014 I'll be up for another show. If the band come around for a swing later this year with essentially the same setlist as a year ago...nah.

twonabomber
04-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Just so you know, Aerosmith changes the setlist every night.

But they're still Aerosmith...

loucap81
04-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Last year was the FIRST time they EVER treated the audience by switching out a few tunes throughout the tour, and people are bitching about the setlist. Fuck me. :high5:

Actually that's inaccurate. The setlist was mixed up in 1978 pretty regularly with some as-yet unreleased tunes and covers in the mix. In 1980 it wasn't changed nightly but they did change a couple songs between each leg of the tour. And in 1983 they mixed it up for the South American crowd with covers and stuff that hadn't been played for the US audience in 1982 like "Little Dreamer," "So This Is Love?" and "Mean Street."

This isn't 1984 anymore where people were naive and really thought Dave thought their town alone was the "rock and roll capital of the world." And good seats are outrageously more expensive now, so yeah for that kind of money I'd like to have just a smidge of suspense, and a solid two hours of performance (under 2 hours is ripping off the fans for your own arena show). Again I'd like to emphasize that for the constraints of the festival, 90 minutes and the hits were fine. I guess the point of this thread though is to see what the bare minimum VH can get away with is, and have people still pay for them. The hope is that this is not a setlist, in terms of length and selection, to be repeated.

By the way, someone mentioned a dream setlist of running through ADKOT. And then another person said yeah they'd be playing to clubs if that was the setlist. Well guess what, count me in as one of the small group of people who would die to hear that. I'm damn proud to be a fanatic that analyzes this shit to death. Fuck being a "casual fan." The casual fan doesn't see them 20 times over the last two tours. I wouldn't expect some other band that I'm not that big of a fan of to play a lowest common denominator setlist, just because I'm in attendance, when the die-hards are the ones that butter their bread.

big fatty
04-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Working construction and spending my evenings in bars. I wouldn't get a computer for another two years.

Whoops. I actually clicked on the wrong post there. It was meant to be in reply to Jesus Christ about why he let the 1996 reunion go south. Sorry for the confusion, good sir. I tried to edit and fix the post, but was distracted. I really shouldn't be posting anyway, as I'm half in the bag. :nuts:

big fatty
04-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Actually that's inaccurate. The setlist was mixed up in 1978 pretty regularly with some as-yet unreleased tunes and covers in the mix. In 1980 it wasn't changed nightly but they did change a couple songs between each leg of the tour. And in 1983 they mixed it up for the South American crowd with covers and stuff that hadn't been played for the US audience in 1982 like "Little Dreamer," "So This Is Love?" and "Mean Street."

This isn't 1984 anymore where people were naive and really thought Dave thought their town alone was the "rock and roll capital of the world." And good seats are outrageously more expensive now, so yeah for that kind of money I'd like to have just a smidge of suspense, and a solid two hours of performance (under 2 hours is ripping off the fans for your own arena show). Again I'd like to emphasize that for the constraints of the festival, 90 minutes and the hits were fine. I guess the point of this thread though is to see what the bare minimum VH can get away with is, and have people still pay for them. The hope is that this is not a setlist, in terms of length and selection, to be repeated.

By the way, someone mentioned a dream setlist of running through ADKOT. And then another person said yeah they'd be playing to clubs if that was the setlist. Well guess what, count me in as one of the small group of people who would die to hear that. I'm damn proud to be a fanatic that analyzes this shit to death. Fuck being a "casual fan." The casual fan doesn't see them 20 times over the last two tours. I wouldn't expect some other band that I'm not that big of a fan of to play a lowest common denominator setlist, just because I'm in attendance, when the die-hards are the ones that butter their bread.

Yeah, that's right. I stand corrected, but I meant lately.

They also played Ice Cream Man in Quebec City, Aprpil, 21, 1984, and that was the only change of addition on that tour. Don't know what made them so special, but glad there is a bootleg of the show.

VH were offered 3 million $ to headline a 90 minute show at the festival, so that's what they did. I'ts only one show so far this year, and everyone is just jumping to conclusions for fuck sake. They will probably do a 2 hour show in Japan.

Ideally, they could also do one of those residency's in Las Vegas.

chefcraig
04-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Whoops. I actually clicked on the wrong post there. ..Sorry for the confusion, good sir. I tried to edit and fix the post, but was distracted. I really shouldn't be posting anyway, as I'm half in the bag. :nuts:

Brother-man, welcome to my world after leaving work, having been left towards dealing with the most unbalanced folks under what is tonight, a full moon.

As it is now somewhat past 10 PM (EST), I am currently working my own way toward a sense of oblivion. I will either watch the NFL draft, the recent live VH download show, or simply give up entirely by blasting CDs and watching the fucking Food Channel.

In any event, we're good. And seriously, thanks for the consideration.

Be well, and ROTH ON, friend. :yo:

chef

Hardrock69
04-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Well, what Uncle Dave sez about wearing out your welcome is pretty valid. If they keep on with the same cycle, we will get some shows or studio cd by late next year, then a tour in 2015.........I mean Ed is not in any hurry to play a lot of shows right now, lol. Wish they would make up the dates that got canceled last year though.

VHscraps
04-26-2013, 05:49 AM
Brother-man, welcome to my world after leaving work, having been left towards dealing with the most unbalanced folks under what is tonight, a full moon.

As it is now somewhat past 10 PM (EST), I am currently working my own way toward a sense of oblivion. I will either watch the NFL draft, the recent live VH download show, or simply give up entirely by blasting CDs and watching the fucking Food Channel.

In any event, we're good. And seriously, thanks for the consideration.

Be well, and ROTH ON, friend. :yo:

chef

I often end up on the Food Channel ... It annoys me less than anything else. Maybe there's a whole subculture of middle-aged guys flaking out in front of Cakes with Anna Olsen after one too many refreshments.

ELVIS
04-26-2013, 06:04 AM
For some reason I think Mike will play with the band, maybe on the next go-around. I think Wolfgang knows people want to see it, Dave extended an olive branch via the press to Mike and Wolfgang seems to cool enough to suggest to his father that it should happen. Now, should THAT come to pass, I'd be up for it...

Now you're talkin' !!

:killer: