PDA

View Full Version : Colorado judge decides pot heads can still be fired for smoking pot.

cadaverdog
04-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Some judge in Colorado decided that pot smoking isn't a protected legal activity and pot smokers can be fired for testing positive for THC even though smoking pot is legal there. I guess the will of the people means nothing to theses asshole judges.

jhale667
04-26-2013, 11:34 AM
That'll get struck down in a higher court... no pun intended.

cadaverdog
04-26-2013, 11:44 AM
When they passed the medical marijauna bill in Cali the defense contractor my brother works for told all their employees that since It was still illegal federal wise they wouldn't accept that as an excuse for failing a drug test. I suspect they'll do the same in Washington and Colorado.

jhale667
04-26-2013, 11:52 AM
My company recognizes the license in MMJ states (they're way progressive). Dunno how that'd work if I relocated to a less-friendly state, but it's not like they randomly test...

cadaverdog
04-26-2013, 12:01 PM
The drug testing companies are gonna put every effort into convincing the general public that they can only detect use not when you used because it would limit the amount of people being tested for THC if they decide employers must take legal medicinal use as an excuse for having THC in your system. I've always thought random drug testing was an invasion of privacy and against laws against self incrimination.

Mushroom
04-26-2013, 02:55 PM
I didn't intend to thank cadaver but what the hell. The drug problem becomes an issue when considering industrial accidents at the hands of a stoned maintenance worker or a lethargic worker who was stoned the night before. Imagine a boiler explosion because the worker was stoned. Careless, inattentive work activity that could result in death because somebody was stoned is much less likely to be covered by the operators insurance. I work in the geothermal industry, which is a high risk, dangerous job. I wouldn't want my associate to be stoned because he has back pains. Maybe drugs can be tolerated in a place like Guitar Center. But there is a thin red line.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Oooooooh, i'm stepping over

jhale667
04-26-2013, 03:04 PM
I didn't intend to thank cadaver but what the hell. The drug problem becomes an issue when considering industrial accidents at the hands of a stoned maintenance worker or a lethargic worker who was stoned the night before. Imagine a boiler explosion because the worker was stoned. Careless, inattentive work activity that could result in death because somebody was stoned is much less likely to be covered by the operators insurance. I work in the geothermal industry, which is a high risk, dangerous job. I wouldn't want my associate to be stoned because he has back pains. Maybe drugs can be tolerated in a place like Guitar Center. But there is a thin red line.

Sounds more like you've watched Reefer Madness a few too many times.

First off, no one is "lethargic" the day AFTER smoking weed. Secondly, wtf does GC's policy or lack thereof have to do with anything? Thirdly, if you're "careless and inattentive" stoned then you're smoking the wrong shit.
But totally agree one should not operate heavy machinery under the influence of ANY mind-altering compound.

FORD
04-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Back in my much younger days, I worked in a local sandwich shop. Pretty much everybody got high there, including the boss, and yes, by that I mean we were baked on the job. His only rules were

1) Don't get high if you're working by yourself.
2) Don't get high if you're running the meat slicer.

Can't remember if he had an official rule to not get high if you were doing deliveries that day, but I know I personally didn't. Seems like reasonable rules to me.

Overall, if it impacts your ability to do your job, then it should be an issue. Other than that, it's really none of anybody's fucking business what you do on your own time.

envy_me
04-26-2013, 03:58 PM
That is crazy. If it's legal you shouldn't be fired if they find it in your blood.

Of course you shouldn't be high at work (except for you Ford :D). Alcohol is legal but you can't be drunk at work. But if I drank the night before work it would show in my blood.
You shouldn't lose your job if you smoke on your days off.

jhale667
04-26-2013, 04:05 PM
That's the flaw in the policy, but it's almost understandable when you have the uniformed running around asserting people are "lethargic" a day after like it's fact - and it's not. No other substance has ever had such an involved disinformation effort. But that was all started so some rich fuck's wood-pulp paper mill empire wouldn't have better, cheaper competition in the marketplace.

FORD
04-26-2013, 04:11 PM
That's the flaw in the policy, but it's almost understandable when you have the uniformed running around asserting people are "lethargic" a day after like it's fact - and it's not. No other substance has ever had such an involved disinformation effort. But that was all started so some rich fuck's wood-pulp paper mill empire wouldn't have better, cheaper competition in the marketplace.

A lot of corporate interests were involved in the propaganda/hysteria campaign. And many of them were attacking hemp even more than they were the smoke-able variety of cannabis.

Ironic thing about the pulp industry is that an acre of hemp would ultimately produce infinitely more product than an acre of timber, because hemp grows back a hell of a lot faster than trees do.

jhale667
04-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Grows faster, absorbs 3x as much CO2... like we couldn't use a little more of THAT being disposed of these days.

Mushroom
04-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Sounds more like you've watched Reefer Madness a few too many times.

First off, no one is "lethargic" the day AFTER smoking weed. Secondly, wtf does GC's policy or lack thereof have to do with anything? Thirdly, if you're "careless and inattentive" stoned then you're smoking the wrong shit.
But totally agree one should not operate heavy machinery under the influence of ANY mind-altering compound.

Not attacking guitar center in particular. The point is work place hazards at GC or a realtors office are much different than an industrial facility. Right?

Companies should have the right to deny employment to a pot smoker. Last I checked, race and gender are protected characteristics, not drug use.

You cannot deny there are lingering effects the morning after smoking pot. I call BS.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Not attacking guitar center in particular. The point is work place hazards at GC or a realtors office are much different than an industrial facility. Right?

Companies should have the right to deny employment to a pot smoker. Last I checked, race and gender are protected characteristics, not drug use.

You cannot deny there are lingering effects the morning after smoking pot. I call BS.

what type?

jhale667
04-26-2013, 04:54 PM

I can, and do. Calling BS on your BS.

jhale667
04-26-2013, 05:10 PM

No, they shouldn't. You're completely off base. Should companies have the right to deny employment to people that take any OTHER prescribed medication? If you answered no, then the flaw in your premise is hypocrisy....

Zing!
04-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Should companies have the right to deny employment to people that take any OTHER prescribed medication?

Only if the pharmaceuticals are habit forming and potentially lethal.

Oh, wait...

FORD
04-26-2013, 05:43 PM
What would happen if Fear Channel Radio had a policy against Oxycontin use on the job......

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3656/3460190158_9edc8671c0_z.jpg?zz=1

Nickdfresh
04-26-2013, 05:54 PM
It's bullshit that people can be arbitrarily tested. Why not fire everyone on other "legal" drugs as well? Nice precedent, Judge Dummy.

I'm all for testing after a serious accident or if someone appears intoxicated. But pot is easy to target because of the extended time THC stays in the system even when someone is sober. Of course, coke-heads don't have to worry as much as I found out in the Army...

Angel
04-26-2013, 10:40 PM

Yes I can and will deny. I'm a self-admitted pot addict. There are no effects the next morning...no hangover, no lethargy, no nothing.

Matt White
04-26-2013, 10:44 PM
It's amazing that CORPORATE AMERICA can now dictate what people do in their private lives......

and the Sheepeople just let them.............

no smoking of anything, no this no that.....its like the Fascist actually won the war!!! :rolleyes:

Igosplut
04-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Bottom line is if you can perform you job to a high level then fuck the rest.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-27-2013, 11:10 AM
mushroom was right. i had lingering effects this morning, after i did a one hit when i got to work.

ODShowtime
04-28-2013, 09:49 AM
It's nobody's fucking business and random drug tests are a violation of the Constitution. It's sickening.

envy_me
04-28-2013, 11:51 AM
mushroom was right. i had lingering effects this morning, after i did a one hit when i got to work.

LOL. I drank about 1,5 liters of wine last night, don't feel anything today. Feels good.