PDA

View Full Version : Tyson's 7-fight plan

POJO_Risin
06-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Alright...

he fights this summer...and hopefully in the fall...and on and on...

Dude's flat broke...and owes 38 million dollars...

King paid him off 14...and he's selling everything that he owns...

he's living in a house in Phoenix...a regular old house...

anyways...

in a dilapidated Heavyweight division...Tyson will probably end up with a part of the title...at some point...

POJO_Risin
06-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Oh...here's the article...courtesy of ESPN...

Friday, June 25, 2004

Associated Press
Mike Tyson will have to fight -- and fight often -- to get out of debt, despite the prospect of a $14 million payment from Don King to settle his claims against the promoter.

Tyson will drop his $100 million suit against King in exchange for the payment, but the former heavyweight champion will see none of the money. It will go toward paying some $38.4 million Tyson owes to various creditors, the Internal Revenue Service and his ex-wife, Monica.

To pay off the rest, Tyson's attorneys have laid out a plan in federal bankruptcy court in New York under which Tyson will fight seven times over the next three years. The plan is ambitious, if only because Tyson has fought only twice in the last three years for a total of about eight rounds.

The first of those fights will be formally announced Tuesday at a news conference in Louisville, Ky. Tyson will take on unheralded Danny Williams on July 30 at Freedom Hall in a bout that will earn him several million dollars to help satisfy his debts.

Assuming Tyson, who will be fighting for the first time in 17 months, beats the British journeyman, he could fight again as soon as the fall. That could be against the likes of light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver or Lamon Brewster, who holds the lightly regarded WBO heavyweight title.

"He wants to put the past behind him and believes he can be champion again," Tyson's manager, Shelly Finkel said. "And that would be a great story."

The other part of Tyson's story is well-known. The most feared boxer of his time, he spent three years in prison for rape and squandered some $300 million in purses over the years.

At the age of 38, he's broke and living in a small house in Phoenix, where he's in training. His two homes in Las Vegas are up for sale, with the proceeds already earmarked for the bankruptcy court fund to pay his numerous debts.

The settlement with King is a key part of solving Tyson's financial problems. If the bankruptcy judge approves, King will pay $8 million up front, with another $3 million in January 2005 and $3 million more in January 2006.

Tyson had pinned his financial hopes on winning an even bigger settlement in court on his claims that King stole some $100 million from him while promoting Tyson after he got out of prison in 1995.

But although Tyson's attorneys were confident in their case, they were concerned about how effective Tyson would be as a witness on his own behalf during a trial and whether King could win a jury over with charm.

For King, the settlement removes one more barrier between him and his former fighter. Since King controls many of the top heavyweights, there's a good possibility he will end up promoting Tyson fights again.

Tyson, who once vowed never to fight for King again, said in an interview last week that he wouldn't rule it out.

According to the plan filed Thursday in bankruptcy court in New York, Tyson will contribute the $14 million from King, an estimated $4.2 million from the sale of his two houses in Las Vegas, and $19.5 million from future fight purses to a fund to pay creditors.

Tyson's first contribution will be a $2.475 million payment on Aug. 4, followed by a $2.31 million payment next Jan. 5. The biggest payment from the proposed series of seven fights will be in January 2006 when Tyson pays $4.95 million.

The IRS is Tyson's biggest creditor, owed $18 million by the former champion. He also owes taxes in several different states, including $834,000 in Tennessee for his 2002 fight there against Lennox Lewis.

Under the plan, Tyson will also pay Monica Tyson $9 million, beginning with a $2.3 million payment when King makes his first payment. Monica Tyson will also get $750,000 from each Tyson fight.

Tyson also owes millions to unsecured creditors, who will be paid negotiated settlements totaling an estimated $10 million.

For King, the $14 million is the second big settlement he has made with an ex-fighter in recent months. In December he agreed to pay former 154-pound champion Terry Norris $7 million to settle a lawsuit.

ALinChainz
06-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Should have never ... EVER ... joined up with King.

He had killer representation, even after Cus D'Mato died.

Was headed for history, the dumb fuck.

Wasn't Douglas his first fight under King? Believe it was.

What a waste this guy is.

POJO_Risin
06-25-2004, 07:31 PM
I actually don't think it was Douglass...but I can't remember at this point...

Tyson coulda been the greatest heavyweight of all time by the time he was 25...

but King allowed him to do and spend everyone and everything...

and a guy like Tyson needs someone cracking the whip on him...

Well...there's nothing the guy could EVER do to untarnish...nothing...he could hold every title from flyweight to heavyweight...

Dan
06-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Make sure they feed him before he get in the ring.Anyone up for ears.

POJO_Risin
06-25-2004, 07:44 PM
lmfao...

the question is...how many fights will he get through before he loses...and does something to get him banned...

maybe both at the same time...

ALinChainz
06-25-2004, 07:46 PM
No doubt Dan, I remember watching that crap and being glad I was at my uncle's watching it, he shelled out the $50 for that PPV.

Almost certain it was Douglas, King didn't put together any kind of corner for him, couldn't handle the eye that swelled up on him and within 3 years, was convicted of rape himself.

I'll keep looking to see if I can find out though.

ALinChainz
06-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
lmfao...

the question is...how many fights will he get through before he loses...and does something to get him banned...

maybe both at the same time...

Just read about the possibility of Tyson-Holyfield III.

Can you believe it? Man, the heavies are in some sad ass shape.

Dan
06-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Both at the same time.Prison life was not good at all for Mike Tyson.

Snoo
06-25-2004, 07:56 PM
The first Tyson-Holyfield fight, which of course most conveniently forget, was a damn good fight. The second one probably would've been. Wasn't King representing Tyson for that first fight in Tokyo against Tony Tubbs?

Dan
06-25-2004, 08:02 PM
How about David Tua Vs Mike Tyson,Shit that would be a fucking great fight?

POJO_Risin
06-25-2004, 08:03 PM
I have that first fight on tape...it was really a one-sided affair...

funny thing about the second fight...is that Tyson looked pretty good...had gotten in a couple of bombs...anyways...

Snoo
06-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Holyfield was headbutting the shit out of him in both fights, which is why Tyson says he bit him.

rustoffa
06-25-2004, 08:22 PM
I actually don't think it was Douglass...but I can't remember at this point...

Tyson coulda been the greatest heavyweight of all time by the time he was 25...

but King allowed him to do and spend everyone and everything...

and a guy like Tyson needs someone cracking the whip on him...

Well...there's nothing the guy could EVER do to untarnish...nothing...he could hold every title from flyweight to heavyweight...

Losing Rooney as his trainer was the nail in the coffin. D'Mato always
focused on his god-given devastating abilities, and Rooney polished
'em. I remember watching the Tyrell Biggs fight....that fucker was
like 6'-6" or something. Mike was up on his tip-toes when he almost
decapitated him with that vicious upper cut. In his prime, Tyson was
the most punishing finisher in history. Larry Holmes said that even
his glancing body shots felt like a jackhammer....that statement
carries alot of weight in my book.

POJO_Risin
06-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Yeah...and he was essentially past all that by 21...

just think about that...22...23...

the guy hasn't been significant in 15 years...and he's only 38...

Mezro
06-25-2004, 09:53 PM
A guy like Tyson, a brain dead sack of shit deserves all of his misery.

How do you drain that much money? Simple: once an urban nothing always an urban nothing. I don't feel sorry for this fucking asshole even if he was an amazing fighter.

You would think when his bank account was down to say..I dunno...25 millon he may have put the breaks on his free-fall or at least asked a few questions. Nope..busy getting shitty jail tattoos and banging cheap black gash while all of his "business advisors" were milking the freak gravy train.

Live in a tampon box you pigeon loving rapist; chew on your own cock instead of ear!

Mezro...lennox lewis beat your meals on wheels ass prick boy

Snoo
06-25-2004, 10:05 PM
He wasn't an "amazing" fighter. He just beat the piss out of people, there was no technique or anything involved.

freak
06-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Snoo
He wasn't an "amazing" fighter. He just beat the piss out of people, there was no technique or anything involved.

Guess again.

He was fast and an extremely accurate puncher. Very well-trained and conditioned. He *never* wasted shots early on.

After Rooney was gone, he turned to shit.

Snoo
06-25-2004, 10:29 PM
My point is, he wouldn't have gone down as anywhere near amazing if he didn't hit as hard as he did.

POJO_Risin
06-25-2004, 10:49 PM
The guy could fight...Cus and Rooney fed the dude Raw meat...

short, concise punches...power and rage...

and a great, strong jab...

he would hunt you down and murder you...

Douglas beat him with a great jab that kept Tyson away...

Holyfield could do the same thing...but ended up beating him by going at him...getting inside the bombs...

both frustrated him...

Now he's a bum...and been a bum for fucking years...

A guy that used to respect fighting...knew the history...

now he is history...

ALinChainz
06-25-2004, 11:36 PM
The dude was the youngest heavyweight champion of all time. He absolutely beat the fuck out of Trevor Berbick to win it. The earlier post about Tyrell Biggs was right on, although Biggs found it necessary to run his mouth before the fight, which got his ass beat quick, Tyson said he sounded like a little girl as he pounded him on the ropes.

Michael Spinks was suppose to be the guy after beating Larry Holmes twice (first fight maybe, 2nd fight, no fucking way, but Holmes made the Marciano remark) and Mike destroyed him in 93 seconds. Spinks felt a body sot and a hook to the head, and stayed down the first chance he had.

He damn near escaped losing to Douglas, as he knocked him down 2 rounds prior to getting knocked out. Tyson beat guys just by intimidation. Some guys would lose every round, but try and just go the distance. If he doesn't go to jail, he beats Holyfield in '91 and destroys Lennox Lewis, in my opinion of course.

He fucked shit up by canning Rooney and his management team, Cayton and Jacobs. King used him to make money, period. Tyson fucked his life up, he's an adult, he made his own choices. But he had leeches and scum at every turn, helping him too.

But at one time ... a bad ass heavyweight.

rustoffa
06-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Oh man, that Spinks fight....talk about intimidation. Spinks
looked like he was freakin' scared to death walking to the ring.
We went to see it on the big screen at the Fox theater here. I
made a comment about Spinks looking scared, went to get some
beers, and missed the whole "thing". It was like a fucking riot
trying to get outta there.

ALinChainz
06-26-2004, 12:36 AM
He took a shot to the ribs early in that first round. He didn't like that at all. When he went down, he got popped on the right side of his face as he turned his head to his left, and Tyson hit him with a right hand. Like looking over your left shoulder and getting hit on your right jaw, snapping your head that way.

He laid there, not wanting to get up. He was done. I remember Mike walking around with his hands out as if to say, "What have I been saying?".

Too bad he fucked his life up so terrible, boxing needed him.

POJO_Risin
06-26-2004, 01:00 AM
Funny...Boxing needed him...

then didn't need him...

If you ask me...Robin Givens ruined his ass...

if she would have just TAKEN it up the ass...then he woulda never raped that chick...

PS...if you are in the Ms. America contest...and Tyson is in your hotel...just a thought...DON'T GO UP THERE AT MIDNIGHT YOU DUMB WHORE!

POJO_Risin
06-26-2004, 01:02 AM
Three Words..."Mitch "Blood" Green"

Talk about bitching someone out...

POJO_Risin
06-26-2004, 01:07 AM
He bitchslapped Berbick for the title...

Then hammered Bonecrusher Smith and Tony Tucker to unify the title...

then pummeled Holmes and Spinks...

He was dominating...

and he missed his 4 prime years in prison...

what could have been...

ALinChainz
06-26-2004, 01:07 AM
LMAO ... no kidding ... don't go riding around with him in his limo at 3am ... alone ... I think she got pissed when he wouldn't walk her down to the car.

I think boxing needed him, the heavys anyway. He unifed the belts from a bunch of also rans like Pinklon Thomas, Tim Witherspoon, Greg Page, Bonecrusher Smith, Razor Ruddock, etc.

POJO_Risin
06-26-2004, 01:09 AM
Yeah...but really...other than him...there was nobody...

Bowe was great for about a year...

then of course...Holyfield...who just seemed to confuse people and headbutt them...

Lewis could have been great had he had opponents that were worthy...

and now...there's nobody...

The problem is promotion...fighters aren't brought up like they should be...to bad....

ALinChainz
06-26-2004, 01:12 AM
Three Words..."Mitch "Blood" Green"

Talk about bitching someone out...

Never to be heard from again.

Tyson made a lot of guys famous like that.

Tucker was from my home town, most here we're happy he lived through it. Rocked him for like a second from an uppercut, but that was it.

ALinChainz
06-26-2004, 01:14 AM
And the history boxing has to have it what it is now.

You're right, too bad.

Snoo
06-26-2004, 01:23 AM
Lewis won't go down as anything special after getting destroyed by Klitschko and running like a bitch instead of giving him a rematch. His interview immediately after was right out of Eddie and Alex Van Halen's: How To Properly Interview: "Ooh, uh, as you couldseeIwasrightabout to make my comeback and put himaway, uh, hehad no chance, Iwasjust gettingintoit." Luckily for him they weren't showing his eyes much as you could tell he was thanking his lucky stars that cut above Klitschko's eye was so horrdenous.

redblkwht
06-26-2004, 01:38 AM
Im digging the lightweight fights on hbo lately..
BTW golden boy lost that last fight what bullshit.
If tyson rehired rooney who knows, that would
be in his best interest i agree when he left he
changed his peek-a-boo style & left himself open
for shots coming in, ala douglas fight.

fuck we used to have partys for tyson fights
everyone rotated the PPV, & bring your own
then go hit the clubs..lol

Sarge
06-28-2004, 02:15 AM
HE squandered 300 million.
What an idiot.

It would burn my ass to pay my ex 9 million.

That must have been some great pussy..

POJO_Risin
06-28-2004, 02:23 AM
Dude...there isn't ANY pussy worth 9 million dollars...

of course...if I could afford it...maybe I could find 9 million dollar pussy...

rustoffa
06-28-2004, 09:28 PM
From Thisislondon:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbiz/articles/11621981?source=Metro

By Anne Campbell, Metro
28 June 2004
Boxing legend Mike Tyson has been sleeping in homeless shelters and living like a 'street bum' since declaring himself bankrupt.

The former heavyweight champion of the world, who once had more than £165million in the bank and regularly earned £5million per fight, also said he has been accepting handouts from drug dealers.

He added: 'For two years I have been a bum, truly a bum in the streets.

I'm a street bum, says broke Tyson

'I've got nowhere to live. I've been crashing with friends, literally sleeping in shelters. Unsavoury characters are giving me money and I'm taking it. I need it. The drug dealers, they sympathise with me. They see me as some sort of pathetic character.'

Tyson, who will be 38 on Wednesday, will fight British boxer Danny Williams on July 30 in an attempt to make some money.

But he is so deeply in debt that even the £7.6million to be paid to him by promoter Don King to settle a lawsuit will not lift him out of the red.

He said: 'When I had money I was an animal. I was so belligerent. I lost all across the board. My life has been a total waste.'

Tyson, who served three years in jail for rape in the 1990s and who bit off part of Evander Holyfield's ear during a 1997 fight, still thinks he can be heavyweight champion again.

He added: 'I know I was a tough, bad-ass talking fighter, but I ain't no mob figure. I did my time for the rape. I paid my money to Las Vegas. I paid my dues.

'I ain't the same person I was when I bit that guy's ear off.'

POJO_Risin
06-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Well...if he can muster something up of the old...old...Tyson...he'd be worth watching again...

maybe it's like the VH story...

when he was badass...classic VH...

then the Sammy years...

question is...can we goback to the greatest...classic Tyson...

or do we get a sham...

Well...call it like real life...I think we got another Sham coming...

bud damn...it would be good to see Tyson come out and tear the shit out of someone...without eating his ear...or his kids...;)

ALinChainz
06-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Tyson says wild past is behind him

By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer

June 29, 2004

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- A humble and reflective Mike Tyson said Tuesday he's done with the chaos that enveloped his life and is serious about one last boxing comeback.

``I may have a checkered past, but I've grown since then,'' said Tyson, dressed in a gray suit with a pink shirt at a crowded news conference. ``I think I deserve another chance to prove my checkered past can be swept away.''

Tyson, who turns 38 on Wednesday, was in Louisville to promote his July 30 bout with British journeyman Danny Williams.

Tyson hasn't fought since stopping Clifford Etienne in 49 seconds on Feb. 22, 2003. He's been living in a modest house in suburban Phoenix, away from the lavish lifestyle and wasteful spending that landed him deep in debt.

``I've learned I could be happier with a lot less,'' said Tyson, who was soft-spoken and polite with reporters.

Tyson disputed a story in a London tabloid that quoted him saying he was homeless and taking handouts from ``unsavory characters.'' But he admitted his move to a simpler, quieter life hasn't been easy.

``I was addicted to chaos and that's why I've had a very difficult time settling into the person I am now,'' he said. ``I never allowed chaos to stop being in my presence. Chaos was a really big influence on me.''

The fight against Williams is one of Tyson's first steps toward digging out of bankruptcy. The convicted rapist squandered more than $300 million in purses after becoming the youngest heavyweight champion in history at age 20. Records show Tyson still owes more than $38 million to various creditors.

Tyson's attorneys recently unveiled a plan in federal bankruptcy court under which Tyson will fight seven times over the next three years. He's also close to settling a $100 million lawsuit against promoter Don King for $14 million and selling two houses in Las Vegas.

Tyson said his biggest regret during his years of wild living was how much he trusted the wrong people with his money.

``The only reason people took advantage of me is because I allowed it,'' he said. ``I'm a foolish man. I'm the most foolish person in the history of this sport.''

Tyson said he's relieved he's pawned off most of his material possessions. He's revisited a childhood hobby of raising pigeons and said his main focus now is caring for his two children, Rayna and Amir.

``I slept with the devil for a long period of my life,'' he said. ``That didn't kill me, so I guess I'm here to do something positive.''

Tyson said he still has the hunger to become a champion, but conceded that his motivation for fighting again is mostly financial.

``I really love what I do, but I would also like to pay all my bills,'' he said. ``When I'm no longer around, I don't want to be looked at as a dishonest person.''

Tyson (50-4, 44 KOs) has fought only twice in the last three years with just over eight rounds of action. He has three losses and two ``no contests'' in his last 10 ring appearances.

Tyson said he's mentally ready to return to prominence.

``I have a strong internal fortitude when I'm really interested in doing something,'' he said. ``Like when I have my mind made up to make a fool of myself, I'm very successful at doing that. If I have my mind made up to make a success of myself, I'm very able to do that as well.''

Former heavyweight champion Greg Page, a Louisville native now confined to a wheelchair because of a brain injury suffered in the ring, sat in the front row at Tyson's news conference. Page's wife, Patricia, presented Tyson with a birthday cake.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-tyson-williams&prov=ap&type=lgns

Fabulous Shadow
06-29-2004, 07:26 PM
I used to be a tyson fan. I hate that prick these days. I hope no one goes to see him to keep that punk ass in poverty for the rest of his life! Right where he ought to be. Oh wait, that'd be prison!