• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

“When The Real Crash Comes It Will Be Worse Than the Great Depression"

SHTF Plan

“The United States is like the Titanic, and I’m here with the lifeboat trying to get people to leave the ship… I see a real financial crisis coming for the United States.”

Peter Schiff
    August 2006

In 2006, when he faced off with many well known Titans of investing and warned of an impending financial disaster and economic collapse, Peter Schiff was laughed at by his colleagues. He urged Americans to exit financial markets and take steps to protect themselves before the wealth held in their savings accounts, retirement investments and real estate was wiped out.

Few listened.

We know what happened next.

Now, those same financial experts who publicly vilified Schiff for his predictions six years ago are at it again. Many, including our politicians, central bankers and leading economists, have unequivocally stated that the worst is behind us, and that a global recovery is on the horizon.

Once again, Peter Schiff disagrees:

“I think we are heading for a worse economic crisis than we had in 2007,” Schiff said. “You’re going to have a collapse in the dollar…a huge spike in interest rates… and our whole economy, which is built on the foundation of cheap money, is going to topple when you pull the rug out from under it.”

Schiff says that, despite “phony” signs of an economic recovery, the cancer destroying America stems from a lethal concoction of our $16 trillion federal debt and the Fed’s never ending money printing.

According to Schiff, these numbers are unsustainable. And the Fed has no credible “exit strategy.”
    Eventually interest rates will rise… and when they do, Schiff says, stocks will tank and bonds dip to nothing. Massive new tax hikes will be imposed and programs and entitlements will be cut to the bone.

“The crisis is imminent,” Schiff said. ”I don’t think Obama is going to finish his second term without the bottom dropping out. And stock market investors are oblivious to the problems.”
    “We’re broke, Schiff added. ”We owe trillions. Look at our budget deficit; look at the debt to GDP ratio, the unfunded liabilities. If we were in the Eurozone, they would kick us out.”

“The Fed knows that the U.S. economy is not recovering,” he noted. “It simply is being kept from collapse by artificially low interest rates and quantitative easing. As that support goes, the economy will implode.”

A noted economist, Schiff has been a fierce critic of the Fed and its policies for years. And his warnings have proven to be prophetic.

His recent warnings, however, have been even more alarming. Will they also prove to be true?

In his most recent book, “The Real Crash” How to Save Yourself and Your Country“, Schiff writes that
    when the “real crash” comes,” it will be worse than the Great Depression.

Unemployment will skyrocket, credit will dry up, and worse, the dollar will collapse completely, “wiping out all savings and sending consumer prices into the stratosphere.”

“All we can do now is prepare for the crash,” Schiff said. “If we brace ourselves properly and control the impact, we will survive it.”

Indeed.

We must understand that none of the fundamental problems leading up to the 2007/2008 financial crisis have been resolved.

If anything, it’s gotten worse.

Our politicians will not change, and therefore, will change nothing in Washington. Wall Street is as corrupt as ever. Our central bank continues to devalue our currency. There is no end in sight for these people. They will continue on this unsustainable path until we as a country finally hit the proverbial brick wall.

As Peter Schiff notes, the destruction to life as we know it in America and the world is imminent. It’s going to be severe.

So much so that the government has been simulating the collapse of our financial system, the collapse of our society and the potential for widespread violence.

A collapse happened in 2008, but THE collapse is still ahead.

• ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Boy, was Peter Schiff right before, or what ??

Comment

• knuckleboner
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
      SHTF Plan

“The United States is like the Titanic, and I’m here with the lifeboat trying to get people to leave the ship… I see a real financial crisis coming for the United States.”

Schiff says that, despite “phony” signs of an economic recovery, the cancer destroying America stems from a lethal concoction of our $16 trillion federal debt and the Fed’s never ending money printing.

laughable. so far, the $16 trillion debt hasn't meant anything. there are 2 problems with debt, and only 2 problems: 1) rising interest payments will eventually crowd out other, necessary federal spending. 2) increasing amounts of borrowed funds crowd out other state, municipal, corporate, and private borrowing and cause interest rates to rise.

neither has happened yet. yes, unrestrained borrowing over long periods of time will eventually cause these issues. but to imply that the current debt is part of a "lethal concoction" demonstrates a lack of economic understanding.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

No way dude...

We're in a worse spot than we were when this crisis hit, but people don't feel it...

So, they do what you just did and try to justify this or that or whatever...

But the economy is being artifically afloat with QE of how much per month ??

I'm sure you know...

That combined with borrowing 42 cents on the dollar from China to support a consumer only economy with spending to the moon equals disaster...

It's unsustainable and many many people know it...

It's easy to see...

Comment

• knuckleboner
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

No way dude...

We're in a worse spot than we were when this crisis hit, but people don't feel it...

So, they do what you just did and try to justify this or that or whatever...

But the economy is being artifically afloat with QE of how much per month ??

I'm sure you know...

That combined with borrowing 42 cents on the dollar from China to support a consumer only economy with spending to the moon equals disaster...

It's unsustainable and many many people know it...

It's easy to see...
          no it's not. manufacturing has expanded better than it has in a decade. companies are actually opening plants and bringing manufacturing jobs back to the U.S.

and we're not borrowing 40 cents on the dollar. that was a limited time period during the worst of the recession. it's dropping fast. the actual debt problem will only occur when/if we don't eventually address entitlements. but it's not going to happen soon. is QE helping the economy? yep. of course, in most recessions, increased spending helps propel economic recovery. our self-imposed austerity measures have limited that, so all the fed is really doing is substituting. although the recovery is slower than we'd like, it's moving along. and as it does, the fed will be able to back down on its involvement.

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Well, I am aware of the manufacturing base increasing but it's not enough...

None of it is enough in my opinion...

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

A lot of that manufacturing base is military Industrial specialized companies building all sorts of things you've never heard of...

Comment

• knuckleboner
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Well, I am aware of the manufacturing base increasing but it's not enough...

None of it is enough in my opinion...
                auto manufacturers are doing better than they have in a long time. foreign firms are opening plants in the U.S.

and, what exactly would be enough in your opinion?

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

GM is not doing well...

Enough would be something along the lines of what Ron Paul suggested...

he said "we" could probably turn this ship around in five years but nobody really wants to cut anything...

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Some highlights of Paul's plan:

Cuts $902 billion in spending during the first year of a Paul presidency compared to current spending levels, or $981 billion compared to President Obama's budget request

Eliminates five federal departments: Energy, Housing and Urban Development, Commerce, Interior, and Education

Lowers the corporate tax rate to 15 percent

Makes a 10 percent reduction in the federal workforce

Eliminates all U.S. foreign aid

Allows younger citizens to opt out of Social Security

Converts the federal Medicaid program into block-grants distributed to states

Over its first four years, Paul's plan would cut over $4.1 trillion in spending while bringing in $2.9 trillion less revenue, reducing the projected deficit by $783 billion according to the Paul campaign's own comparison to the Congressional Budget Office's baseline projections of current spending levels

Things like this are looked at as too radical...

But I think something along those lines would be a good start in the right direction...

Comment

• knuckleboner
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

GM is not doing well...

Enough would be something along the lines of what Ron Paul suggested...

he said "we" could probably turn this ship around in five years but nobody really wants to cut anything...
                      GM's not perfect, but it's doing well enough. 3.6% sales increase in 1Q 2013.

as for cutting = economic prosperity, look to europe. they went much more austere than the U.S., and there recovery has been much more tepid. rapid, significant cuts to government spending will CAUSE economic calamity, at least in the short term.

as for ron paul as economist - he doesn't propose economic solutions because he genuinely thinks they will be the best, economically. he proposes them because they best fit his overall libertarian goal of limited government involvement.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

I don't think so...

Ron Paul strikes me as the most honest politician of our lifetime and he didn't lay it out that way...

GM still owes more than 50 billion and the next GM truck looks like a failure next to Ford and Chrysler...

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

the next GM truck looks like a failure next to Ford and Chrysler...

The one awesome thing that no one comes close to is the GM truck interiors. Not even same ballpark. The seats are so thick & cushy like a lazy boy recliner. And everything has a very solid quality feel to it. Unlike many other trucks that have a cheap plasticy feel like everything was bought at KMart.
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• knuckleboner
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

I don't think so...

Ron Paul strikes me as the most honest politician of our lifetime and he didn't lay it out that way...

GM still owes more than 50 billion and the next GM truck looks like a failure next to Ford and Chrysler...
                            whatever the reason, an increase in global sales isn't a bad thing.

and i agree that ron paul is honest and sincere. i think ihe honestly believes his policies are the best because they limit government the most. but that doesn't mean he has actual economic data to back it up.

and you laid it out, yourself. cutting $902 billion in the first year is a guaranteed return to recession. guaranteed. it's taking $900 billion out of the economy in one year. bad news. long term? maybe. but without question, it's an immediate recession. at best, it's saying that the only way we can get to a stable place is to go through significant pain right now. in other words, we'll guarantee at least a partial collapse of the economy right now in order to avoid what we say will be a worse collapse sometime in the future.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                              whatever the reason, an increase in global sales isn't a bad thing.

and i agree that ron paul is honest and sincere. i think ihe honestly believes his policies are the best because they limit government the most. but that doesn't mean he has actual economic data to back it up.

and you laid it out, yourself. cutting $902 billion in the first year is a guaranteed return to recession. guaranteed. it's taking $900 billion out of the economy in one year. bad news. long term? maybe. but without question, it's an immediate recession. at best, it's saying that the only way we can get to a stable place is to go through significant pain right now. in other words, we'll guarantee at least a partial collapse of the economy right now in order to avoid what we say will be a worse collapse sometime in the future.
                              I dunno, every time I've listened to Dr. Paul he's been more than willing to cite economic data. Whether he's right or wrong I think he believes it is good economically as well as philosophically.
                              I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

Working...