X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Ufo

I get used box sets for cheap and so today's dismal selection(s) I bought their 5 disc box set which probably sucks

Never heard much by them other than their 'Obsession' release. Most here is probably absolutely because there is fluff and filler like live BBC recordings and bland studio outtakes. So it this worth a spin? Or just shelf it next to that appalling Alice Cooper's 'Old School'?
  • sonrisa salvaje
    Veteran
    • Jun 2005

This is going to be a mixed bag. The one you want is the 73-79 when Michael Schenker was in the band. This set you have is the stuff made after he left. There is still some good stuff on there from No Where to Run and The Wild, the Willing and the Innocent. After that they started to get dodgy with only a couple of killer tracks on each album. For me, Mechanix and Making Contact had only a few moments and then Misdemeanor was just not good. If you give it a spin i would listen to the stuff closer to 1980 than 1986.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

AllMusic.com doesn't give it such a great review calling it "post Michael Schenker" and gives the 73-79 offering a much better praise.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
        Veteran
        • Jun 2005

That's right because Phenomenon, Lights Out and Obsession are probably the three crown jewels in UFO's catelog as far as studio albums. Force It and No Heavy Petting are also great but probably not up there with the previous i mentioned. Stranger in the Night is one of the all time great live albums as well.
        If you decide you don't want this set and wish to sell it, i will gladly take it off your hands. Just pm me.
        RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
        LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• 78/84 guy
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Apr 2005

Strangers In The Night is all you need. The studio stuff never did much for me. Lots of good tunes though.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

One of the really great hard rock bands of the '70s. Mogg/Way are an underrated songwriting partnership, and Schenker's riffs/solos are killer.

I like a lot of the post-Schenker stuff, but it is much less histrionic and guitar-focussed. The 'Strangers In The Night' live record would be where I would start......
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

I can only take that stuff in small doses...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Moggs lyrics can be a bit 'The fat cat sat on the mat'.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Yeah...

Again, the "frontman" is the problem...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I always had a soft spot for the not so successful Misdemeanor album...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

That said I think a golden rule in rock is that there are no circumstances in which male keyboard players should wear spandex.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        Moggs lyrics can be a bit 'The fat cat sat on the mat'.
                        Mmmmm. I think when that occurred it was due to a) putting out records every year; b) more drugs than just about anyone in the history of music.

To re-dress the balance, it should be noted that he's penned some very good lyrics, too. And some wonderful ballads. UFO were about far, far more than Schenker.....
                        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Mushroom
                          Commando
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Kristy
                          I get used box sets for cheap and so today's dismal selection(s) I bought their 5 disc box set which probably sucks

Never heard much by them other than their 'Obsession' release. Most here is probably absolutely because there is fluff and filler like live BBC recordings and bland studio outtakes. So it this worth a spin? Or just shelf it next to that appalling Alice Cooper's 'Old School'?
                          Kristy, again you made a piss poor uneducated purchase. Jane you ignorant slut. But i love you. You should consult with us first.

Here's another thread for UFO. http://http://www.rotharmy.com/forum...FO%2C+schenker

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Did you like Obsession Kristy?

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Comment

Working...