X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katina
    Commando
    • Mar 2012

Lou Reed recovering after liver transplant

Musician, 71, underwent life-saving surgery last month in Cleveland, says wife Laurie Anderson

Lou Reed, the US songwriter, poet and vocalist with the Velvet Underground, had a liver transplant last month, according to his wife, the musician and performance artist Laurie Anderson.

"It's as serious as it gets. He was dying. You don't get it for fun," said Anderson, who added that her husband was now on the road to recovery following the life-saving surgery.

Reed, 71, cancelled a number of concerts in April and had surgery in Cleveland rather than in his native New York due to what Anderson described as the "dysfunctional" hospitals in his home town. She said in an interview with the Times: "I don't think he'll ever totally recover from this, but he'll certainly be back to doing [things] in a few months. He's already working and doing t'ai chi. I'm very happy. It's a new life for him."

The couple, above, have been together for more than 20 years but got married in 2008 following a spur-of-the-moment decision while talking on the phone.

Anderson, whose 1981 single, O Superman, reached number two in the British charts, spoke of her awe for the operation which saved Reed's life.

"You send out two planes – one for the donor, one for the recipient – at the same time. You bring the donor in live, you take him off life support. It's a technological feat.

"I was completely awestruck. I find certain things about technology truly, deeply inspiring."

Reed surprised fans in New York in March when he appeared at a playback of his seminal album Transformer.

Best known as guitarist, vocalist, and principal songwriter of the Velvet Underground, Reed has also had a successful solo career spanning a number of decades, producing hits such as Walk on the Wild Side in 1972. Recent collaborations have included a 2011 album with the rock group Metallica.

Anderson is due to perform at the Barbican in London this month with the string ensemble, Kronos Quartet.
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Maybe he'll start making decent records again.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Grace Slick once said trying to be a rock star past age 60 is just dumb. I'm starting to agree with her. I think the Rolling Stones could pull it off and maybe a few others but most can't.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Kristy

Metallica too?

Not a chance sweetheart. :-)
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
          At 71?

Comment

• katina
            Commando
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            At 71?

What a lucky guy, he recieved a new liver, and it is working.

Comment

• Jack68
              Commando
              • Sep 2004

Im sure he was the most worthy on the list.Horse shit.At 71..life saving...sounds like Micky Mantle.
              Last edited by Jack68; 06-21-2013, 05:36 PM.
              "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by katina
                What a lucky guy, he recieved a new liver, and it is working.
                We'll see, at his age he'll be lucky if he gets more than a couple of years...

Comment

• katina
                  Commando
                  • Mar 2012

We'll see, at his age he'll be lucky if he gets more than a couple of years...
                  I hope it will be longer......

His outcome depends mainly on his actual clinical condition and original indication for liver transplantation.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I fucking hope the donor was no younger than 65. I mean, I'm a NY donor, and as much as I respect what Reed has done, I really don't want my liver going to elderly, pampered rockstar drunks when there are kids out there that need one...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

My guess is that maybe the NYC hospitals agreed with you and that's why he called them 'disfunctional' and fucked off to Cleveland.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

The current wave of rockers entering seniority are not above telling doctors everywhere to go fuck themselves, lol.

Comment

• Igosplut
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Hep Cs a bitch
                          Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Jack68
                            Commando
                            • Sep 2004

My guess is that maybe the NYC hospitals agreed with you and that's why he called them 'disfunctional' and fucked off to Cleveland.
                            No doubt.
                            "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Maybe there was a sign-up sheet at the Rock Hall, you know, "Sign here to donate your organs to an aging rock star!"

The Cleveland Clinic has a lot of famous patients. Robin Williams had heart surgery there and foreign dignitaries get treated there. The Clinic is expanding to Las Vegas and Dubai as well.

I think Papa John Philips had TWO liver transplants, since he kept drinking after the first one.
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...