PDA

View Full Version : "Fuck You" 'Long Overdue'

ELVIS
06-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A6025-2004Jun25?language=printer)

Saturday, June 26 2004

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20040625/mdf608306.jpg
Vice President Cheney on Friday vigorously defended his vulgarity directed at a prominent Democratic senator earlier this week in the Senate chamber.

Cheney said he "probably" used an obscenity in an argument Tuesday on the Senate floor with Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) and added that he had no regrets. "I expressed myself rather forcefully, felt better after I had done it," Cheney told Neil Cavuto of Fox News. The vice president said those who heard the putdown agreed with him. "I think that a lot of my colleagues felt that what I had said badly needed to be said, that it was long overdue."

The forceful defense by Cheney came as much of Washington was discussing his outburst on the Senate floor in which a chance encounter with Leahy during a photo session in the usually decorous Senate chamber ended in colorful profanity. The obscenity was published in yesterday's editions of The Washington Post.

President Bush had made his vow to "change the tone in Washington" a central part of his 2000 campaign, calling bipartisan cooperation "the challenge of our moment."

"Our nation must rise above a house divided," he said in his victory speech in December 2000. "I know America wants reconciliation and unity. I know Americans want progress. And we will seize this moment and deliver."

Cheney said yesterday he was in no mood to exchange pleasantries with Leahy because Leahy had "challenged my integrity" by making charges of cronyism between Cheney and his former firm, Halliburton Co. Leahy on Monday had a conference call to kick off the Democratic National Committee's "Halliburton Week" focusing on Cheney, the company, "and the millions of dollars they've cost taxpayers," the party said.

"I didn't like the fact that after he had done so, then he wanted to act like, you know, everything's peaches and cream," Cheney said. "And I informed him of my view of his conduct in no uncertain terms. And as I say, I felt better afterwards."

Leahy, crossing the aisle to the Republican side of the chamber Tuesday, tried to make small talk with Cheney. Cheney yesterday referred to the incident as "a little floor debate in the United States Senate," although the Senate was not in session at the time. According to Leahy's staff, the Vermont senator answered Cheney's complaint about Halliburton with Democrats' complaints that the White House sanctioned a smear of Catholic Democratic senators over their objections to Bush's judicial nominees.

"Ordinarily I don't express myself in strong terms, but I thought it was appropriate here," Cheney said on Fox.

David Carle, Leahy's spokesman, said: "It appears the vice president's previous calls for civility are now inoperative."

As news spread on Thursday of the Cheney-Leahy exchange, Senate Minority Leader Thomas A. Daschle (D-S.D.) appealed to colleagues of both parties to rise above "partisan retaliation" and find a "common ground" for lawmaking.

Speaking first with reporters and then addressing the full Senate, Daschle acknowledged that earlier efforts by Democrats and Republicans to restore the Senate's once-cherished comity have yielded meager results. "But we have to try . . . to build a better relationship" between the political parties, regardless of which controls the Senate after the November elections, he said.

Daschle denied that he made his own civility proposals to boost Democratic campaigns, including his own hard-fought bid for reelection in South Dakota this fall. But his pitch for more bipartisanship -- coupled with a similar appeal Wednesday by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) -- underscored the perceived significance of voters' impatience with the partisan squabbling in Washington.

Daschle outlined what he called "fundamental commitments" that would undergird his efforts: to "deal in good faith with the executive branch"; to exert the "historical role of the Senate" on budget, oversight and nomination matters; to respect minority party rights, and to "end the cycle of partisan retaliation."

Among his proposals was full participation by both parties on House-Senate conference committees.

:elvis:

FORD
06-27-2004, 10:39 AM
I could care less whether or not Uncle Dick uses "fuck" as part of his regular vocabulary, because God knows I fucking say it all the fucking time.

What fucking bugs me though is the hypocrisy of this Fraudministration with Mikey Powell imposing so called "decency standards" through the FCC to the point where even talking about farts on the air can get you in trouble.

And then there's the hypocrisy of right wingers who hit the ceiling when Kerry was quoted in Rolling Stone as saying Junior "fucked up" the Iraq war. If it was irresponsibla and "unpresidential" for him to say so, then you have to say the same about Cheney. Especially since profanity IS against the rules on the Senate floor, but not in Rolling Stone.

ELVIS
06-27-2004, 05:08 PM
The floor was not open...

freak
06-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Atta-boy Cheney!

About damned time someone speaks their mind up there.

Diver Down NJ
06-27-2004, 06:14 PM
While Cheney's outburst wasn't very statesmanlike, it was at least honest emotion.

Kerry's profanity-laced interview was an obvious attempt to pander to the slack-jawed demographic that is the Rolling Stone readership.

FORD
06-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Bottom line is that Cheney is so fucking arrogant, like the rest of the BCE, that he believes himself to be above the law. so it was a case of "how dare you question my ties to Halliburton" which got him pissed off at Leahy.

A guy with a heart condition really shouldn't carry around that kind of hatred.

rustoffa
06-27-2004, 09:09 PM
Kinda reminds you of Clinton losing it back in the days of wine and
roses. This is off subject, but I saw a clip of him on Oprah last night.
He blamed the stress from the right's continued witch hunts against
him for his affair with Lewinsky. The fucking women in that place clapped like trained seals when he was done. Mind numbing.

Ally_Kat
06-27-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Kinda reminds you of Clinton losing it back in the days of wine and
roses. This is off subject, but I saw a clip of him on Oprah last night.
He blamed the stress from the right's continued witch hunts against
him for his affair with Lewinsky. The fucking women in that place clapped like trained seals when he was done. Mind numbing.

kinda like Primary Colors? :D

Eyes of the Night
06-28-2004, 04:24 AM
Why is Ford always talking bout' the BCE and the FCC? ... haven't they sent you to the looney bin already ford hoss?;) ...

:gulp:

Wayne L.
07-01-2004, 01:03 PM
The mainstream news media has way too much time on its hands making a big deal about VP Cheney telling Democratic Vermont Senator Pat Leahy to go " fuck yourself " since he's only human & gets pissed off like John Kerry using the f-word in his Rolling Stone interview.

lucky wilbury
07-01-2004, 03:14 PM
who would have thunk it: leaky leahy leaks a private conversation

FORD
07-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
who would have thunk it: leaky leahy leaks a private conversation

Given your employers, shouldn't you be more concerned with what Cheney leaked? Like the name of a "deep cover" agent?