Supreme Court DOMA Decision Rules Federal Same-Sex Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Supreme Court DOMA Decision Rules Federal Same-Sex Marriage Ban Unconstitutional

WASHINGTON -- The Defense of Marriage Act, the law barring the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages legalized by the states, is unconstitutional, the Supreme Court ruled Wednesday by a 5-4 vote.

"The federal statute is invalid, for no legitimate purpose overcomes the purpose and effect to disparage and to injure those whom the State, by its marriage laws, sought to protect in personhood and dignity,” Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion. “By seeking to displace this protection and treating those persons as living in marriages less respected than others, the federal statute is in violation of the Fifth Amendment.”

Justice Kennedy delivered the court’s opinion, and was joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan. Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Antonin Scalia and Samuel Alito all filed dissenting opinions.

DOMA, signed by President Bill Clinton in 1996, prevents same-sex couples whose marriages are recognized by their home state from receiving the hundreds of benefits available to other married couples under federal law. During the Obama administration, the Justice Department initially defended DOMA in court despite the administration’s desire to repeal it. But the Justice Department changed course in early 2011, finding that the law was unconstitutional and declining to defend it any longer. House Republicans have since spent hundreds of thousands of dollars taking over that defense.

Plaintiff Edie Windsor, 84, sued the federal government after the Internal Revenue Service denied her refund request for the $363,000 in federal estate taxes she paid after her spouse, Thea Spyer, died in 2009.

During the March oral arguments in United States v. Windsor, a majority of the court seemed to express doubts about the constitutionality of DOMA. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said that supporters of the law seemed to want "two types of marriage," likening same-sex unions to the "skim milk" version of marriage.
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Actually, the above was only half of it. They also struck down California's Proposition 8.

Poor Christian assholes are sobbing everywhere today.

Sad motherfuckers.

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

I believe that marriage should not have ANY government or authority involved. No changes in tax codes, or anything else that changes when you get married. It should be a spiritual thing between the 2 people and whatever they believe in. It's simply a way to show a promise to love each other forever. The only marriage we should each individually care about is our own. As for anyone else we should be happy that two people found love & happiness. Why we gotta be up in everyones business all the fucking time? For fucks sake already. Tired of this fight.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
        Actually, the above was only half of it. They also struck down California's Proposition 8.

Poor Christian assholes are sobbing everywhere today.

Sad motherfuckers.

Meh. In actuality this will just inspire their hatred even more and increase fundraising & coffers.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Von should be happy to hear this. He can now move to Cali and purpose to Roth.

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
            Meh. In actuality this will just inspire their hatred even more and increase fundraising & coffers.

Funny, I bet racist fucks in the South said something similar in the 60s. So I guess after yesterday we can expect this to be overturned in 40 years if we're going by historical precedent...
            Originally posted by conmee
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
            Originally posted by eddie78
            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
              Von should be happy to hear this. He can now move to Cali and purpose to Roth.
              Do you mean propose?

If I were to propose to another man, it would be you. I am ghey for you.

Comment

• Angel
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                Do you mean propose?

Bullshit. You're plannin your walk up the aisle with Sammy as we speak...probably both wearing orange shorts...
                "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                  Do you mean propose?

I'm sorry, Von. But I need a man who has a job and doesn't live in a trailer. But best of luck to you and Roth.

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
                    I'm sorry, Von. But I need a man who has a job and doesn't live in a trailer. But best of luck to you and Roth.
                    Come on over and check it out!

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Lovely place you have!

Where do you hide the food stamps from Elvis when he comes over?

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

What are "food stamps"?

And why would I have Elvis over?

I'll be out there skiing this winter. Can I come visit you?

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

No. And no.

Comment

• fraroc
                            Commando
                            • Jun 2012

The response that the ruling got on MSN just makes me fucking hate religious people even more. Every single fucking comment is "USA is going to Hell", "God Hates Gays","Obama is the Anti-Christ" (shitty president definitley, but Anti-Christ? Seriously?) and on and on and on. Of course, everyone here knows that I am the most opinionated fuck on this planet so I decided to chime in. I wrote a comment saying that even though I believe in God and have read the Bible before, I think what you people are doing to gay people is wrong and God loves everybody and I added "Thou Shall Not Be Gay" is not one of the Ten Commandments.

The first comment I got was.....

Douchebag: Burn in Hell, you homosexual scum. Leviticus 18:22.
                            Me: Thanks, but no thanks, I'm straight.
                            Douchebag: Then you will burn for being an athiest. Psalm 14:1.
                            Me: Are you fucking stupid? My original post said that I. BELIEVE. IN. GOD. I'm not a goddamn athiest!
                            Douchebag: Then you will burn for being a hypocrite. Matthew 6:5.

And it just escalated from there.
                            How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

If your argument against marriage equality begins with "The bible says..." you've already lost the debate.
                              Originally posted by conmee
                              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                              Originally posted by eddie78
                              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

Working...