PDA

View Full Version : Robert "Kool" Bell on DLR/VH

twonabomber
06-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Kool and the Gang are opening for Kid Rock...the tour hits Blossom next week. Local alt rag Cleveland Scene interviewed Robert "Kool" Bell and asked a couple VH questions:

You toured with Van Halen in 2012?

We did 48 shows with Van Halen.

Any good David Lee Roth stories?

David was in and out. He would come and do the gig and get on his bus and keep moving. He had to turn all the air conditioning off in the venues because he didn't want to catch a cold and everyone at the venue would be sweating their behinds off. I think it even made CNN. People were having a sweating good time.

How'd you end up on that tour?

Van Halen used to play our music in the clubs. I didn't know that. David Lee Roth told me, "You guys came up with the song 'Ladies Night' and we had 'Jump.' We were the party band of the '80s and you were the funk-pop band of the '80s." Plus, 60 percent of my audience is ladies. He wanted us to go out and have a party.

And then a little about the Kid Rock tour:

What's your connection to Kid Rock?

What happened was that Sammy Hagar was supposed to do the tour and there was a conflict with a sponsor. Sammy couldn't do it. Kid Rock had wanted us to do it in the beginning but we were able to work it out. We are able to do 10 of the 15 shows. I met him about five or six years ago at a club in L.A. and he was telling about how he used to listen to Kool & the Gang and the Ohio Players when growing up in Detroit. He was into the group. And when he found out that we had done those shows with Van Halen, he thought it would work.

It must be fulfilling that the group is still going strong.

It's a blessing. It seems like every decade, there's a new challenge. It's like, 'What are Kool & the Gang going to do?' We came back and went out with Van Halen and Kid Rock. That's what we're going to do. We're also doing a Christmas album. Next year will be our 50th anniversary, dating back to the Jazziacs. We're looking to put some artists together and I've been talking to Bootsy Collins and the lead singer of Chicago. We'll put something together for next year.

Not a lot that we didn't know, but any press is good press, right?

Full article here http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/all-funked-up/Content?oid=3591332

VHscraps
06-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Kool and the Gang replace Sammy Hagar ... opening for Kid Rock ... 2013 is sometimes a strange kinda place.

ELVIS
06-29-2013, 08:24 AM
"Any good David Lee Roth stories?"

Nope...

Blower rants, that's about it...

FORD
06-29-2013, 05:18 PM
2012.... Kool & The Gang opens for Van Halen

2013..... Sammy Hagar is supposed to open for Kool & The Gang, but pussies out of it.

Suck it, sheep! :biggrin:

fraroc
06-29-2013, 07:26 PM
2012.... Kool & The Gang opens for Van Halen

2013..... Sammy Hagar is supposed to open for Kool & The Gang, but pussies out of it.

Suck it, sheep! :biggrin:

This is Sammy Hagar's mean spiritedness to Eddie biting him right in the ass. VH is playing in massive arenas and the Waboritas are playing in shitty clubs. Straight up restitution.